Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Meeting Comics Creators Options
MoonKnight1
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:24:20 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I have been fortunate enough lately to have met a handful of comic book creator types - artists, writers, editors - through working in the business and most of them have been pretty cool.

My favorite experience, however, has to be the time I met Mike Mignola in 1990. I was stationed at the Coast Guard base in Yorktown, VA and had a pull box at this tiny comic book shop in Newport News, in a strip mall no less. Well, they had a mini-con one Saturday and got a handful of guys to show up including Mike Zeck, Mignola and a couple of other people. Everyone else was nice but Mike Mignola was freaking awesome!

He took time to talk to everyone, answered any question that was asked and did dozens of sketches and autographs - for free! This was about the time of Cosmic Odyssey and he was firing off pages of Batman, Orion, Darkseid, Martian Manhunter - you name it. The crazy thing is, he would be talking to you looking you straight in the face and drawing something without even glancing at it! I swear it only took him like two minutes to dash off a cool Etrigan, the Demon for me. And they were good drawings, too.

Just the way that he interacted with people and how friendly and accommodating he was really struck me as being very cool.

Who have you met?

Closing in on 600 Hero Ratings! Now with more than 16,000 comics listed and thousands more to come! To all of my Fantastic Customers I say, Thank You! Keep watching.

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations
TMNT figure lot

jhorsley3
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:43:35 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I have met several creators over the years due to owning a comic shop for about 6 years or so and going to every convention up the west coast for several years.

I have a few favorites that stick out in my head, in no real order:

Todd Nauck: The first con I went to as an adult was a small one in Seattle, I spent 3 hours talking to Todd about everything from comics to family. I sat behind the table with him for most of this just shooting the (banned). He drew an awesome Superman and Impulse for me, all with no push at all to sell me anything. He knew at the time I didn't have any money and was just hanging out. It was fantastic.

Andy Lee: I saw Andy at many conventions from Portland to San Diego and talked to him a lot at all of them. He does amazing asian style super hero paintings and he did an awesome Batman for me and a Terminator for my nephew. He was a very cool guy with an awesome mustache. He was more interested in getting to know everyone at is table than he was selling them something.

Mike Grell: I met him in Seattle when I had a table at the convention selling books. I walked over when it was slow to talk to him about his Green Arrow run (which I love) and at the time I was really into Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. I asked him if he had ever drawn Morpheus, which he had not. I said I could grab a morpheus action figure from my table for reference and he said that would work. 30 minutes and only $20 later I now have an amazing pencil drawing of Morpheus from Mike Grell. He also talked to my dad, who he remembered from the 1980 something San Deigo convention where my dad told him his Warlord painting was overpriced. He informed my dad that he was right and ended up selling it two years later for the price my dad offered him at the con. After all this and after the con, he asked me if I had any of his books in my book. I told him I had a box of his green arrow books which he took from me and signed all of them. All 200+ of them. He told me "There, hopefully that helps you sell them"

Matt Wagner: Met him at a con in Portland about the time he was doing covers for Kevin Smith's Green Arrow series. We talked about comics and what he liked reading and such. At the end of the con, similar to Mike Grell, he asked me if I had any of his books. I told him I had about 100 or so Green Arrows and Grendel Books. He took the whole box and signed them all for us to sell.

Bill Tucci: This man is amazing. He was doing free sketches to anyone who wanted one (which was a lot of people) and he would sketch out these drawings of Shi, not looking at the paper, in less than a minute or two that where fantastic. He was pretty cool to talk to.

I could go on, but that's good for now.

Oh, Tom Baxa (The MTG artist) is AMAZING. Super nice, remembered me from year to year in San Deigo and was always super nice.
Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:44:46 PM

Shop at My Store

One that always stands out in my mind was John Romita, Jr., who came to a show sometime in the '90's. Out of all the creators I've met, he was one that seemed geniuinely happy to be there. Just smiles the whole time, small talking about whatever was put in front of him to sign. Seemed to really enjoy his work AND the fans--a rare appreciation combination that many creators lack.

Tamwood
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 3:46:20 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Carmine Infantino was pretty awesome to talk to. So was Marty Nodell and Dick Ayers.

Georges Jeanty was willing to draw anything in a sketchbook for free, except for anything Buffy-related. Buffy-related sketches were $25. My Rogue looks very nice.

I thought J.M. Linsner was very nice, although I've heard people say that he's a real jerk. I had a great experience with him.

Gene Ha was rather original. He wasn't charging for sketches at the show I met him at, but he was insisting that you ask a random person at the show if you could do them a favour. He was mildly annoyed that most of the people were being let off the hook easy. My sketch cost me a Coke from the Coke machine.

William Tucci and David Mack were both awesome. Tucci had a bad headcold the day I met him, and still took the time to be nice and draw something in one of my books.

Terry Austin was interesting. I asked him for a Phoenix sketch (being that he worked on the Clarmont/Cockrum/Byrne run). He told me that the only character he draws at shows is Popeye, because he doesn't need references. He did reference my Phoenix request on the sketch, tho.

Dan Brereton was by FAR the biggest (censored) I've ever met at a convention. Horrible person, horrible attitude and (personal opinion) horrible artist.

Ron Frenz was a bit of a jerk, too. I knew his name, but wasn't certain what book he was currently drawing. He got really crappy with me when I asked him to draw "whatever you feel like drawing today" in my sketchbook.

I really want to meet George Perez and J. Scott Campbell at a show, but I just can't afford most shows anymore.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 4:03:08 PM

Shop at My Store

I've met Billy Tucci as well and he is really nice. Everyone that's met him that I have spoken to says the same.

Closing in on 600 Hero Ratings! Now with more than 16,000 comics listed and thousands more to come! To all of my Fantastic Customers I say, Thank You! Keep watching.

Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations
TMNT figure lot

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:24:38 PM

Groups: Member

i havent met any yet :( i'm not a big line waiter. but i would love meet mark bagley and john romita jr.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

ocphil
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:35:35 AM

Who have I met...
Burne Hogarth. Nice man, very cerebral.
Milton Caniff. Nice guy.
Barry Windsor Smith. Jerk.
Neal Adams. Nice guy, very good with fans.
Jack Kirby. Quiet thoughtful.
Eisner. Great guy.
Jim Mooney, another nice guy.
Steranko. Good with fans, not so good with people who rub him the wrong way.
Carl Barks. another good guy.
Steve Rude. Quiet.
Peter Kuper. I like him, he always has a big Mexican crowd, he used to live there.
Russ Heath. Sly sense of humor.
Al Feldstein. Sort of cranky but professional.
Jerry Robinson. He was just sitting there at a table at San Diego, and people were walking past his table. I couldn't believe it, I thought he would have a line. No people around.
Roy Thomas.
Harlan Ellison! He was nice to me, that's all I can say.
Marv Wolfman. Always a gentleman.
Thats all I can think of now, but I will update as I remember.
katewinslet
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 2:14:33 AM

I haven't heard of a third printing of that issue. I checked a forum on a site dedicated to the Ninja Turtles and they don't have it listed as having a third print and they have some pretty obscure appearances listed in their database. However, if it is a 3rd print, I would love to see a picture of it and if you're looking to sell it I may be interested depending on price.

The only other thing I can think of that being would be the Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series. #7 had an August 1989 publish date.

ileatherjackets http://ileatherjackets.me.uk/
pass4-sure.org.uk http://www.pass4-sure.org.uk/
leather jackets men leather jackets men
SpidermanGeek
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 7:18:31 PM

Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator

MoonKnight1 wrote:
I've met Billy Tucci as well and he is really nice. Everyone that's met him that I have spoken to says the same.

Ditto. Him and Mark Sparacio are hilarious when they share a table.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.
Reggie
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 7:25:17 PM

katewinslet wrote:
I haven't heard of a third printing of that issue. I checked a forum on a site dedicated to the Ninja Turtles and they don't have it listed as having a third print and they have some pretty obscure appearances listed in their database. However, if it is a 3rd print, I would love to see a picture of it and if you're looking to sell it I may be interested depending on price.

The only other thing I can think of that being would be the Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series. #7 had an August 1989 publish date.

Eh? ?

b0bafett
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 7:59:36 PM

Groups: Guru, Member

he posted a reply on the wrong topic
dunleavy75
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 7:59:58 PM

I've met Jim Starlin, Walt & Louise Simonson, Francesco Francavilla, Bernie Wrightson, Len Wein, Brian Wood,...hmmm, that's all I can think of at the moment!

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
scotracycowles
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2013 8:17:58 PM

I met Marshall Rogers at a con in Richmond, VA. Nice guy......R.I.P.
redartz60
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 11:55:04 AM

Al Milgrom: Met him at a charity auction at a con, way back in my teen years. I won an auction for a drawing he did of Yondu (Gaurdians of the Galaxy); he asked if he could borrow it back to reproduce and send it to me. I agreed; he soon returned it by mail and added a fine drawing of Captain Marvel as well.

Tom Defalco and Ron Frenz: they were sharing a table at Motor City Con when my son and I attended. They were both great; talked at length with both of us and signed ASM 252's for each of us.

Bill Messner-Loebs: Had a great chat with him at Gem City Con. Very nice fellow and genuinely appreciative of his fans.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 12:15:02 PM

Shop at My Store

redartz60 wrote:
Al Milgrom: Met him at a charity auction at a con, way back in my teen years. I won an auction for a drawing he did of Yondu (Gaurdians of the Galaxy); he asked if he could borrow it back to reproduce and send it to me. I agreed; he soon returned it by mail and added a fine drawing of Captain Marvel as well.

That. Is awesome!

Hall Liquidations
TMNT figure lot

Shadowdodger
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 6:42:31 PM

Total missed opportunity...

I stopped by my LCS on my way home from work on New Year's Day to grab my weeklies. Turns out they had Christos Gage ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christos_Gage ) there for the day to do a meet n' greet and do some signing. Obviously I've heard of him, but didn't feel like I knew enough of his work to stop by the table and strike up a conversation.

Later after I got home and started looking at my new books a little more closely I discovered he wrote the current issue of The Flash (#26) that I had just bought. Wall

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
mekdinosaur
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 9:41:35 AM

How about some akward moments with comic book people:

Mignola and Steve Skroce: I once tried some inks over Skroce's Ekto Kid and Mignola gave some pretty harsh criticisms of the art..while sitting right next to Steve. Lol akward.

Jim Lee sweating it out at a con with no AC. Huge line up and he didn't even have water or anything. I felt bad for the guy.

Interviewing Paul Chadwick for 20 minutes. Stand up awesome guy suffering through my amature attempt to be a journalist. Paul is the best!

Simon Bisley is a hoot. Had a sign saying: will draw for beer and hookers. He was drinking beer while sketching at the con too. hilarious.

I got banned from a con just because I begged Jill Thompson for a Delerium sketch after the con runner said no more sketches. I ignored the con runner and he banned me from further cons. Jerk.

I've also met Bill Sienkiewicz a few times. He took my sketchbook and disappeared with it once. Thankfully I eventually got it back with an awesome Grendel sketch.

So many more great times I can't think of at the moment lol. At least I was never that guy to approach Alan Moore in the bathroom. I do have some sense after all.

Devil Devil
MoonKnight1
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 9:48:48 AM

Shop at My Store

mekdinosaur wrote:
I've also met Bill Sienkiewicz a few times. He took my sketchbook and disappeared with it once. Thankfully I eventually got it back with an awesome Grendel sketch.

Holy Cow! I would love to see that, I'm a huge Grendel fan! Is there any way you can post a picture of it? Pray Drooling

Hall Liquidations
TMNT figure lot

4saken1
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 11:33:56 AM

Shop at My Store

A LCS in town is having Neal Adams in their store to do signings in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I have to work the whole day. Sigh

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).