Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Tracking numbers on shipments. Options
boostergold10
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 4:15:02 AM

Groups: Member

One the biggest things I hate in shipping anything is when a seller WILL NOT use a tracking number. I have had many discussions with sellers about providing these and almost all of the ones I approached about it was indifferent to it. One seller, who I just bought from, stated that he only provides it if sale is at least $20. The worst thing about it is that the package had a tracking number on it. I will address that in a bit.

It is either out of laziness or indifference that keeps sellers from adding this. All you have to do is go to the Paypal payment and you can print off a mailing label that will email the number to the buyer. It takes no great effort nor any extra steps. I look at providing a tracking number to your buyer as an extension to your customer service.

The greatest thing about having this tracking number for yourself and your buyer is that if the package gets lost or delayed it can be your only tool to help locate it. The bad part about not using a tracking number is that your buyers can go to Paypal seven days after payment and open a case against you. If you cannot prove, with a tracking number, that you shipped the item you will automatically lose and they buyer will get reimbursed they money they paid you.

I think that USPS is getting tired of all the items lost in the mail and are forcing tracking numbers to be put on packages, but it will fail if the sellers won't keep them and pass them on to the buyer. If you pay for shipping at post office the tracking number will be on the receipt they give you. The package I was talking about earlier had a tracking number on it, but the seller is to bothered or just doesn't care to take notice and pass it on.

If people are going to take the time and spend their hard earned money on your books you could take the time and take the steps to ensure that their books get to them. It is only common sense and will keep people coming back to the sellers who actually care.

NW Gaming

Comic Book Binding

freakdylan
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 7:55:34 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Not providing tracking numbers is one of my huge pet peeves. It really bugs me when I buy something and none is provided, then when package arrives I see a huge tracking number on the label. I mean seriously how hard is it to convey that number to your paying customer? In most cases I prefer to be home when a package arrives but cant do that if no tracking number is provided.

BruceReville
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 9:12:43 AM

Anything sent 1st Class or Priority now comes with tracking added automatically through USPS. And when I sell on Ebay I always provide a tracking number for orders thanks to buyers who would get the item and then make a claim afterwards and I have no proof.At Wits' End

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

Xylob
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 9:15:54 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

freakdylan wrote:
Not providing tracking numbers is one of my huge pet peeves. It really bugs me when I buy something and none is provided, then when package arrives I see a huge tracking number on the label...
especially when i add a message in PayPal before making the payment that says "Please send me the tracking &/or delivery confirmation number for this when you ship it. Thank you.".
I live 2 blocks from a good sized elementary school and a junior high is another 2 blocks past that. There is a stream of obnoxious hooligans running past my house for at least an hour every afternooon - things sometimes "disappear" and if I can see something to show that it was actually delivered and when (or where it was specifically left)... well, more information is always better than none.

It doesn't matter if it's 50 Cents or 50 Dollars - if you list it as NM it better be NM.
Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!

Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...
MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 11:03:22 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Subscriber, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I dig the new avatar, Bruce! What is it from?

I am proud to Announce that I now have 500+ Hero Ratings!!! Thanks to all of my Amazing Customers! Big things are in store for Hall of Heroes this year. It is my personal goal to add a long box a week to my Inventory starting in April, 2014.

Please frequent the VS Forum located here. Have you ever wondered if so-and-so could beat blankety-blank? Well, wonder no longer. Everything can be decided here.

Watch Episode 3 of Turn on AMC this Sunday, April 20th!

Hall Liquidations
SwiftMann
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 12:46:10 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I don't use the PayPal labels. Don't you HAVE to know the weight of the package to complete them?

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
Jim
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 12:52:34 PM

SwiftMann wrote:
I don't use the PayPal labels. Don't you HAVE to know the weight of the package to complete them?

If you're shipping anything other than flat rate priority, yes.

I bought a USPS scale that weighs items up to 10lbs for about $20 on usps.com, it's been well worth it IMO since I exclusively print labels from Paypal. Buyers receive an email with all the pertinent information about their order and they know exactly when I've completed pulling their order and printed shipping. They should then expect that their package has been dropped off at the post office the following day at the latest.
SwiftMann
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 1:24:50 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Jim wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:

Which is 99% of my stuff.

Quote:
I bought a USPS scale that weighs items up to 10lbs for about $20 on usps.com, it's been well worth it IMO since I exclusively print labels from Paypal.

Hmmm.. I'll have to see if I can make this work. Logistically, it's too all over the place.

I print my orders at my work office.
I pull orders and pack them up in my basement.
I usually take them to the post office the next morning (if not media) and use the automated machine before they open or, if media, go during the day.

Having to jot down the weight in the basement and then not print until the next morning at the office would be somewhat obnoxious. Probably better overall though.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
Xylob
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 1:39:13 PM

Jim wrote:
Buyers receive an email with all the pertinent information about their order and they know exactly when I've completed pulling their order and printed shipping. They should then expect that their package has been dropped off at the post office the following day at the latest.
apparently not, based on my last 3 eBay purchases which have all had tracking numbers since Monday and still show that USPS hasn't received them....
Loser
1 Star coming right up!
You're a better seller than most Jim!

It doesn't matter if it's 50 Cents or 50 Dollars - if you list it as NM it better be NM.
Xylob's Most Wanted:

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...
boostergold10
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 1:55:33 PM

I went to Walmart and bought a food scale that weighs up to 6 pounds. I have been doing it this way for years. You can also go to Office Depot, or anything like it, and get a mailing scale.

NW Gaming

Comic Book Binding

BruceReville
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 2:19:23 PM

MoonKnight1 wrote:
I dig the new avatar, Bruce! What is it from?

A random Zorro Icon I found on Google - Right now I am on a Zorro kick!Dancing

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

bovard
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 2:32:38 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I can't imagine why a seller would not add it.

I add tracking on every single order, no matter what it is, or what the method or service.

Usually a buyer can easily view tracking info directly from their paypal page. Or, if it's not a paypal transaction, then I send the tracking info via a pm or email.

Seems like a standard, minimal level of service to me, so not sure what's going on with some sellers who don't provide.

Jim
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 2:38:22 PM

SwiftMann wrote:
Jim wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:

Quote:
I bought a USPS scale that weighs items up to 10lbs for about $20 on usps.com, it's been well worth it IMO since I exclusively print labels from Paypal.

Hmmm.. I'll have to see if I can make this work. Logistically, it's too all over the place.

I usually take them to the post office the next morning (if not media) and use the automated machine before they open or, if media, go during the day.

Having to jot down the weight in the basement and then not print until the next morning at the office would be somewhat obnoxious. Probably better overall though.
when I have many orders I just write the weight and name on the box because PayPal will time out anyway if I pull one order at a time. This way I just log in and print a label for each box and match them up. Granted I do everything in my house so its probably a little easier for me.
bovard
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 2:43:16 PM

Shop at My Store

Jim wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:
Jim wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:

Quote:

when I have many orders I just write the weight and name on the box because PayPal will time out anyway if I pull one order at a time. This way I just log in and print a label for each box and match them up. Granted I do everything in my house so its probably a little easier for me.

Yep, weigh them, and write the weight and names/orders on each package so everything stays organized and properly sorted.

Xylob
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 3:04:17 PM

bovard wrote:
Seems like a standard, minimal level of service to me, so not sure what's going on with some sellers who don't provide.
They're lazy &/or don't give a damn?

Xylob's Most Wanted:

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
boostergold10
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 3:08:38 PM

bovard wrote:
I can't imagine why a seller would not add it.

I add tracking on every single order, no matter what it is, or what the method or service.

Usually a buyer can easily view tracking info directly from their paypal page. Or, if it's not a paypal transaction, then I send the tracking info via a pm or email.

I had both sold on here and still do on eBay. Every order that I sent out had a tracking number, whether it was one comic book or card or 100. I believe that sellers who don't use this service just does the minimal amount they can get away with without considering that adding this for their customers is actually a great customer service to them. If good customer service gets you more business then we should be compelled to do all we can for our customers.

What kills me is that I have tried to convey this to sellers who don't do this and they have every excuse not to budge from their current practices.

NW Gaming

Comic Book Binding

4saken1
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 8:12:56 PM

Shop at My Store

boostergold10 wrote:
I went to Walmart and bought a food scale that weighs up to 6 pounds. I have been doing it this way for years. You can also go to Office Depot, or anything like it, and get a mailing scale.

I used a model probably similar to the one you use for years. A couple of times a month, an order would come in that was more than 6 lbs. and I would have to use my Wii to weigh myself with and without the package and subtract the difference. Laughing I've since switched to a 10 lb. scale, and hardly ever have to resort to that practice anymore.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

Xylob
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 8:09:37 AM

Xylob wrote:
Jim wrote:
Buyers receive an email with all the pertinent information about their order and they know exactly when I've completed pulling their order and printed shipping. They should then expect that their package has been dropped off at the post office the following day at the latest.
apparently not, based on my last 3 eBay purchases which have all had tracking numbers since Monday and still show that USPS hasn't received them....
It's not just the little stores or individuals on eBay though... Midtown also sent me a tracking number on Monday and USPS shows that the package still has not been received.
Wall
Maybe there aren't any post offices in NY NY?

Xylob's Most Wanted:

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
fenix1977
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 11:05:07 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Tracking numbers make peoples lives easier. You have proof that something shipped if I was a seller..I would want my customers to know that something is on its way. That and sometimes it is entertaining to watch the USPS send your package everywhere but to the intended address...Wall

Mad Bloggings

Xylob
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 11:56:15 AM

fenix1977 wrote:
...That and sometimes it is entertaining to watch the USPS send your package everywhere but to the intended address...Wall
I'm in the Denver area and once had a package go from San Diego to Dallas, to Nashville, to New Jersey, then to Denver. WTF?!?!
Sight-seeing trip for some action figures.

Xylob's Most Wanted:

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747