Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Oddball Newsstand Editions of Interest or Rarity Options
Thundercron
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 12:16:37 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

This thread will be devoted to newsstand editions that may be of special interest to collectors of newsstand comics. Some of these may have already been discussed elsewhere in the past on the CCL forums, but this will be the spot to find everything all in one thread.

First up is Punisher Summer Special #1. Here's the direct edition:

And here's the newsstand edition:

Note the missing Comics Code Seal.....
BurningDoom
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 12:38:58 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Quasar #32 Direct Edition (Notice the "32" on the issue number on the cover, no barcode)

Quasar #32 Newstand Edition (Notice it says "1" on the issue number on the cover, and it has the barcode)

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
outcast
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2013 10:35:10 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

That Punisher Summer Special is really odd. I don't know of any other comic, ever, that had the Code seal on the direct version and NOT on the newsstand version (lots of comics the other way around, though). I wonder if Marvel ever acknowledged the error, and revealed which one was erroneous. Perhaps an old Comics Buyer's Guide has the story.

It reminds me of the slightly different case of Power Pack 23 (June 1986). This was while Marvel was still publishing direct editions without the Code seal, and I don't remember anyone noticing at the time that the newsstand version of the issue also went seal-less. Look what they used to replace the seal:

Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:17:17 AM

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:
Quasar #32 Direct Edition (Notice the "32" on the issue number on the cover, no barcode)

Quasar #32 Newstand Edition (Notice it says "1" on the issue number on the cover, and it has the barcode)

Yes, an interesting newsstand variant that spawned a companion direct edition:

Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:23:56 AM

Shop at My Store

outcast wrote:
That Punisher Summer Special is really odd. I don't know of any other comic, ever, that had the Code seal on the direct version and NOT on the newsstand version (lots of comics the other way around, though). I wonder if Marvel ever acknowledged the error, and revealed which one was erroneous. Perhaps an old Comics Buyer's Guide has the story.

It reminds me of the slightly different case of Power Pack 23 (June 1986). This was while Marvel was still publishing direct editions without the Code seal, and I don't remember anyone noticing at the time that the newsstand version of the issue also went seal-less. Look what they used to replace the seal:

If you liked that Power Pack, you'll love this:

I've always been suspicious of this issue of Daredevil. If you look through it, it's the most hard core issue of Miller's Barn Again storyline (graphic violence, nudity, drug use, etc). I've always had the belief that this issue was actually rejected by the Comics Code. Jim Shooter was a big Frank Miller supporter, though, so I believe he quietly pushed it through and published it anyway. Unfortunately, that Power Pack you just showed lends credence to the fact that it may simply have been left off the book on accident.

I still like my theory, though.
Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:26:06 AM

Shop at My Store

Now that I'm thinking about it, I should break out my Power Pack #23 and look to see if anything is there that the Code would not have liked.

It's just odd that the Code is replaced with a Cap head. It would be one thing if the space was left blank. But why replace the Code with another image? It shows that they knowingly put the Cap head there, but not the Code Seal. So....why?

But it's also interesting that both of these issues have the same publication date.
Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:37:32 AM

Shop at My Store

Here's one of my favorite oddball newsstand variants. To start, we need to take a look at this one:

Deathlok #19 had a snazzy foil cover, and garnered a $2.25 cover price. But it looks like someone jumped the gun the month before, and gave the previous issue a cover price of $2.25, as well:

Fortunately, this error was corrected by the time the newsstand versions were printed:

Cool, eh?
MoonKnight1
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:05:48 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Subscriber, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Thundercron wrote:
Now that I'm thinking about it, I should break out my Power Pack #23 and look to see if anything is there that the Code would not have liked.

I think that's the controversial issue where James Power beats his wife Margaret, Jack gets hooked on Meth and Whitey begins a cross-species relationship with a Snark!Silly

At least that's how I remember it...

I am proud to Announce that I now have 500+ Hero Ratings!!! Thanks to all of my Amazing Customers! Big things are in store for Hall of Heroes this year. It is my personal goal to add a long box a week to my Inventory starting in April, 2014.

Please frequent the VS Forum located here. Have you ever wondered if so-and-so could beat blankety-blank? Well, wonder no longer. Everything can be decided here.

Watch Episode 3 of Turn on AMC this Sunday, April 20th!

Hall Liquidations
BruceReville
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:35:30 AM

Groups: Member

Thundercron wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

If I remember correctly Quasar was a Direct Only comic at the time - Same with Doctor Strange hence the Dr Strange Special/Ghost Rider 1 which was a newstand comic.

A LINK I SAY!

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:05:35 AM

Shop at My Store

BruceReville wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

If I remember correctly Quasar was a Direct Only comic at the time - Same with Doctor Strange hence the Dr Strange Special/Ghost Rider 1 which was a newstand comic.

A LINK I SAY!

You would be correct on all those points. As was discussed in a previous thread, the Quasar #1 was released so that people getting comics from the newsstand could get the entire Operation Galactic Storm crossover. But they also released a #1 copy for the Direct Market, because apparently the shop owners were concerned that they wouldn't be able to sell a #1 issue.
BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 11:35:33 AM

Quasar didn't have Newstand Editions? Then what are these?

Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 11:47:11 AM

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:

Good point. I had thought that Quasar eventually became a direct only book, but a quick look at Mile High shows that there are definitely a few occurrences of both Direct and Newsstand versions later in the Quasar run.

Outcast might be able to shed light on this.
BruceReville
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 11:49:05 AM

BurningDoom wrote:

Around the end of 1990 some of Marvel's titles became Direct only

BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 12:01:45 PM

Wow, this direct vs. newstand stuff gets confusing.

So when you subscribed, did you get a newstand or direct edition?

I had a subscription to Uncanny X-Men and Amazing Spider-Man in the 90s, but I can't remember at this point. I do remember my mail-man managing to mangle the hell out of them more often than not, which led me to dropping the subscriptions.

Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:21:42 PM

Shop at My Store

I don't know about Marvel or DC, but we once bought a collection of Sonic the Hedgehog comics, and included were about eight issues still sealed in the subscription mailers from Archie. They were direct editions. I would assume the same would be true for other publishers, since they don't want copies to somehow wind up being returned to newsagents as unsold newsstand copies.
BruceReville
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:16:30 PM

BurningDoom wrote:

Oh Yeah? Wait until I start a thread on Canadian Price Variants Devil

outcast
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:16:37 PM

BurningDoom wrote:

Those are definitely newsstand editions.

Here's the thing, though: There is ample precedent for Marvel canceling a title to the newsstand market, but continuing to produce the title for the comics-shop market. It happened (IIRC) with three titles at the same time: Moon Knight, Ka-Zar, and Micronauts, with issues dated early 1982. And it kept on happening after that, with many other titles.

Also keep in mind that, when Quasar #32 was published, Marvel seems to have had three distribution channels available to it, not just two. In addition to newsstand and direct, there seems to have been a channel (Thundercron has proposed that this channel distributed to bookstores like B Dalton and Waldenbooks) in which titles carried newsstand-style barcodes, but did NOT carry the CCC symbol (two small Cs inside one larger C) that identified a comic as returnable to Curtis Circulation Company. It's hard to know whether Quasar was being distributed by this third channel, because there are no newsstand cover scans of any issue of Quasar #s 17–31 on either GCD's site or on Mile High's (nor do I have any of these issues in my collection).

My guess is that by #32, Quasar was either direct-only or (considering the UPC placeholders on covers of #s 17–31), more likely, distributed to the direct market AND to the third channel market. The same logic about story continuity applies, though. If "Operation: Galactic Storm" was crossing over from Curtis-distributed titles to a title (Quasar) with more limited distribution, then readers buying comics at Curtis-served outlets might not have access to the entire story. By publishing Curtis-style newsstand variants of #s 32–34, and by having those issues distributed by Curtis, Marvel could ensure that the entire story would be available to the largest number of readers.

But that is a guess. I would definitely like to have more facts. Perhaps this forum will, in time, provide those facts.
outcast
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:35:09 PM

Thundercron wrote:
If you liked that Power Pack, you'll love this:

(image omitted)

I've always been suspicious of this issue of Daredevil. If you look through it, it's the most hard core issue of Miller's Barn Again storyline (graphic violence, nudity, drug use, etc). I've always had the belief that this issue was actually rejected by the Comics Code. Jim Shooter was a big Frank Miller supporter, though, so I believe he quietly pushed it through and published it anyway. Unfortunately, that Power Pack you just showed lends credence to the fact that it may simply have been left off the book on accident.

I still like my theory, though.

I had no idea this issue of Daredevil wasn't code-approved. Thanks very much for pointing it out!

As for your question about a possible connection between the same-month issues of Power Pack and Daredevil—here I go again with the speculation—maybe they knew a week or two in advance that the Daredevil wasn't going to get past the Code, and they wanted to know how distributors and retailers were going to react. So maybe they intentionally left the seal off the Power Pack issue to test the system. If nobody complained about the Power Pack, then they would know they could ship the Daredevil, and no one would complain about that, either.

Or maybe it was something completely different.

In any case, the Daredevil is an issue I'll be watching for now.

Edit: It now looks like the Daredevil issue shipped one week earlier than the Power Pack issue. My hypothesis about the Power Pack no-Code issue being a test run for the Daredevil no-Code issue seems untenable.
outcast
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:42:16 PM

BurningDoom wrote:

So when you subscribed, did you get a newstand or direct edition?

I had a subscription to Uncanny X-Men and Amazing Spider-Man in the 90s, but I can't remember at this point. I do remember my mail-man managing to mangle the hell out of them more often than not, which led me to dropping the subscriptions.
I haven't had a mail subscription of any title since the beginning of identifiable direct-sales comics, so I don't know about most publishers.

An exception is Malibu. I have an issue of Freex that appears to be a folded subscription copy; it was a newsstand version. Unlike most other publishers, Malibu printed its newsstand interiors separately from its direct-sales interiors, on lighter paper (makes some sense: in the direct market, comics shops pay shipping; in the newsstand market, publisher pays shipping). I would guess Malibu chose to use newsstands for subscription fulfillment in order, again, to save on shipping costs.
outcast
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:47:40 PM

Thundercron wrote:

It's just odd that the Code is replaced with a Cap head. It would be one thing if the space was left blank. But why replace the Code with another image? It shows that they knowingly put the Cap head there, but not the Code Seal. So....why?

But it's also interesting that both of these issues have the same publication date.
I read the Power Pack, looking for anything that might violate the Code. A case could be made for child endangerment, but of course that's a comics tradition that goes back at least as far as Detective Comics #38. If you spot something I missed, I'd love to hear it.