Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Moral question Options
comic clint
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:30:49 PM

Groups: Member, Moderator, Subscriber, Super Hero Showdown Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

So I listed a sonic comic for $9 then researched it--- selling for $40 + --- The Item sold before I could take it down---- I reallly want to cancel the transaction.... any thoughts?

THE PRECIOUS PRESENT IS A GREAT BOOK THAT YOU SHOULD READ SOMEDAY SOON
-clint
Shadowdodger
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:44:12 PM

Groups: Member

I appreciate your situation, but I think in this case you should take the hit and honor the transaction. There have been pages upon pages on here about situations just like this that have not been positive.

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
pottersan
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:03:14 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Here is my very 1st sale on CCL;

Amazing Spider-Man (1963) 95-A
Sale Item Details Very Fine/Near Mint $0.65
Amazing Spider-Man (1963) 97-A
Amazing Spider-Man (1963) 382-A

I meant to list 95 & 97 for $65 each....pm'd the customer and refunded the order and everything worked out.

I'd pm them 1st to test there forgiveness ratio, but I wouldn't press the issue if I found any resistance.

Join me on Marvel War of Heroes! Alphacomics, use referral code eng572582 and get bonus items!!

Visit My Facebook Page!

Alpha Comics has LOOSE Action Figures & T Shirts!

Other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, The Comic Book Stop, Comics Castle, ComicVortex, TREEHOUSE , The Android's Dungeon, Nerdgasm_Comics
BurningDoom
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:07:21 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

It pottersan's case, it was a typo, honest mistake.

In your case, it's your own fault that you didn't keep up on the values. Not quite the same.

To change the price now, is bait-and-switch. Not only immoral, but even illegal in some places (obviously not in this case, though, since we're on the interwebs).

I guess it wouldn't hurt to PM the guy. But I'd say to just honor the price, since it was your bad, and not get the heat that Brett took over the Spider-Man 2099 #1 incident.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
pottersan
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:15:27 PM

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:
It pottersan's case, it was a typo, honest mistake.

In your case, it's your own fault that you didn't keep up on the values. Not quite the same.

To change the price now, is bait-and-switch. Not only immoral, but even illegal in some places (obviously not in this case, though, since we're on the interwebs).

I guess it wouldn't hurt to PM the guy. But I'd say to just honor the price, since it was your bad, and not get the heat that Brett took over the Spider-Man 2099 #1 incident.
I agree I guess....Maybe you got confused when pricing, maybe you that's the price you thought it was selling for or maybe you just didn't do you homework on the issue. What ever the case, you should do whatever makes the customer happy.

Join me on Marvel War of Heroes! Alphacomics, use referral code eng572582 and get bonus items!!

Visit My Facebook Page!

Other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, The Comic Book Stop, Comics Castle, ComicVortex, TREEHOUSE , The Android's Dungeon, Nerdgasm_Comics
pottersan
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:16:17 PM

Shop at My Store

Did you check the other prices on CCL before you listed it?

Where there any? If not, did you check other sources?

Visit My Facebook Page!

Other great CCL Stores;
Atilla2k
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:43:42 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

It may suck but you gotta suck it up and take the hit.

Jim
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:49:19 PM

comic clint wrote:
So I listed a sonic comic for $9 then researched it--- selling for $40 + --- The Item sold before I could take it down---- I reallly want to cancel the transaction.... any thoughts?

I don't think you're obligated but it may win you a repeat customer.
4saken1
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 12:30:50 AM

Shop at My Store

I've sold a few comics that I later found out were worth more than I listed them for. From my perspective, they were all lessons that helped me become a better seller. I say suck it up and find out what you can do next time to keep this from happening again.

Jeff

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

comic clint
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 12:39:16 AM

Shop at My Store

yeah, my heart says honor the price----- i already printed postage and will send off tomorrow morning Broken Heart

-clint
Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:47:35 AM

Shop at My Store

comic clint wrote:
yeah, my heart says honor the price----- i already printed postage and will send off tomorrow morning Broken Heart

This will help your reputation, too. You're an artist, right? To the point that you've had sketch cards printed for card sets, as well as selling your work on ebay (from what I remember from old posts).

You're gaining a reputation and a name. You don't want to tarnish it.
comic clint
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:27:15 PM

Shop at My Store

Thundercron wrote:
comic clint wrote:

This will help your reputation, too. You're an artist, right? To the point that you've had sketch cards printed for card sets, as well as selling your work on ebay (from what I remember from old posts).

You're gaining a reputation and a name. You don't want to tarnish it.
Thanks for that ----- Makes it a bit easier--- after all its just money
Anxious

-clint
freakdylan
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:34:34 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

You did the right thing.

As a buyer I can tell you if it was an honest pricing gaff then I wouldnt mind you asking to cancel the transaction. However if you asked me to cancel a $9 sale and day later saw it listed for $40 would never ever shop with you.

So kudos for doing the right thing. This same thing happened to me on another site twice and just those 2 sellers ruined the whole site for me.

Flagwaver
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:54:33 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Jim wrote:
comic clint wrote:

Uh, how is he not obligated? He listed the book for one price and it sold before he had a chance to jack it up. Just because these are comics, it does not mean you can forego ethics. But, then, those who work for CCL seem to never have learned about things like honesty and being true to your word.
padreglcc
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:50:26 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

Flagwaver wrote:
Jim wrote:
comic clint wrote:

Uh, how is he not obligated? He listed the book for one price and it sold before he had a chance to jack it up. Just because these are comics, it does not mean you can forego ethics. But, then, those who work for CCL seem to never have learned about things like honesty and being true to your word.

That's pretty close to slander, my friend. Please be cautious not to defame others on the boards, which is against the forum rules and will warrant a warning.

PS - Clint, for what it's worth, I think you're doing the right thing.

“We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." W. H. Auden

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:31:12 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Since we're on the subject of the CCA:

I've always thought it was amazing that nobody sued them for freedom of press. It's one of the most important foundations our nation was founded on.

I understand how it was overlooked during that era of "The Red Scare" and the U.S. government pushing the whole "American Dream" ideal to push their Cold War agenda.

But after the 60s happened, you'd think someone (other than small indie Underground Comix companies) would have opened their eyes enough and challenged the CCA.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
comicscastle
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:44:02 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:
Since we're on the subject of the CCA:

I've always thought it was amazing that nobody sued them for freedom of press. It's one of the most important foundations our nation was founded on.

I understand how it was overlooked during that era of "The Red Scare" and the U.S. government pushing the whole "American Dream" ideal to push their Cold War agenda.

But after the 60s happened, you'd think someone (other than small indie Underground Comix companies) would have opened their eyes enough and challenged the CCA.
Comic companies submitted their books to the CCA voluntarily so there was no violation of freedom of press.

Here's a link to the Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comics_Code_Authority

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

comic clint
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 1:23:31 AM

Shop at My Store

yeah I know that was the right thing to do, guess I was just looking for support--- :)

-clint
MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 7:21:48 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Subscriber, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

You did the right thing Clint. It happens to everyone. Just a few weeks ago I listed an Incredible Hulk #92 (first Planet Hulk, now selling for dozens of dollars) for a buck. It sold almost immediately. I was kicking myself all the way to the Post Office.

I put myself in the Buyers shoes on those incidences. I've bought stuff before that I know was way under priced and would have been upset if the Seller had reneged only to relist it for 5-6x more.

I try to be very careful but sometimes mistakes happen and you've just got to suck it up and be more diligent next time. That's the way I look at it.

I am proud to Announce that I now have 500+ Hero Ratings!!! Thanks to all of my Amazing Customers! Big things are in store for Hall of Heroes this year. It is my personal goal to add a long box a week to my Inventory starting in April, 2014.

Please frequent the VS Forum located here. Have you ever wondered if so-and-so could beat blankety-blank? Well, wonder no longer. Everything can be decided here.

Watch Episode 3 of Turn on AMC this Sunday, April 20th!

Hall Liquidations
Jim
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 8:19:45 AM

padreglcc wrote:
Flagwaver wrote:
Jim wrote:
comic clint wrote:

That's pretty close to slander, my friend. Please be cautious not to defame others on the boards, which is against the forum rules and will warrant a warning.

PS - Clint, for what it's worth, I think you're doing the right thing.

Sellers are only obligated to do one of two things. Send items after they're paid for or refund money if the items aren't going to be sent out.

The moral or ethical decision to issue a refund once he realizes that he is selling below the items value is his alone to make albeit at the risk of his online reputation.

In this case I agree that it might be a good idea for him to send the book but I do not agree that its a canned decision that should be made every time. If he'd listed a book valued at $300 or $400 for $10 and only realized it when checkout was complete I might have recommended that he refund the buyers money along with an apologetic PM.

And, a seller adjusting the price of a book to it's average value is no more "jacking it up" than a buyer getting it for significantly below value is "a good deal".