Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
DC Is Moving Options
BruceReville
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 4:25:22 PM

Groups: Member

To Burbank, Ca

Um ....Ok? Confused

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

KingZombie
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 4:44:25 PM

Nothing like making a big change without any explanation. I can't imagine what good can come from this. The only thing I do see is it putting more people out of work who don't wish to move so far away from their family and friends.

Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:16:52 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Two thoughts:

1. Why move to Cali in an effort to better integrate the comic biz with the other media ventures? Seems Marvel is doing a superior job of it while still being based in New York.

2. Actually glad to see Warner Bros president say that harvesting DC's properties is a priority for the company. It always looked to me that they really weren't that interested.

ebcomix
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:03:02 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Burbank is a Hollywood town, probably indicates a new focus on movie related activities. Hopefully not a lack of focus on good comics which would kill them.

ocphil
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:10:14 AM

Moving to LA is hardly what you would call hardship. Obviously DC wants more synergy to get movies made. Most comic work was done by mail back in the good old days and I suspect it's done via Email these days. Perhaps it may lead to a broadening of horizons by DC and less chasing what Marvel is doing. Or not. It could also mean more derivative material if all the writers decide they want to write movies. I would like to point out writers live all over the place, Roy Thomas lives in Carolina, Marv Wolfman lives in LA etc. so I suspect it won't make much difference to the comic output.
Khaine
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:19:03 PM
Groups: Member, Subscriber

I wonder how many actual people work full time in the DC office. Since like 99% of everything they could possibley do can be done over the internet now.

What's even the point of even moving the people at all let them all work at home and have someone check a DC Comics PO Box.
JimmmKelly
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:52:24 AM

This move prompted me to pay tribute to DC's New York offices on my blog last week--see OTF.12.11.13.

It depends what old days we're talking about, but back in the old old days, you had to live in the New York area to be a part of the comic book business. Yeah, in the '50s, '60s and '70s, you see more and more freelance writers and artists reloacting to other parts of the country and even going outside of the country.

Although, it's interesting that John Broome spent half of the year in Paris with his wife and daughter, but came to New York with his wife for the other half of the year, during the '60s. Yet he didn't write from abroad--He only wrote when he was in New York and Julie Schwartz saved up those scripts for the rest of the year.

In '67, when Edmond Hamilton set out on a year long tour to far off places with his wife, Leigh Brackett, he didn't continue as a freelance writer for DC, but rather decided he had to retire from the business--although he had been sending his scripts via mail to their offices from his Ohio rural home since the late '40s.

In the '70s, when Steve Englehart wrote his famous Batman and Justice League stories for Julie Schwartz, Englehart did that in New York before leaving for Paris, where he would be cut off from comic book writing.

Given that the book and magazine publishing business is centred in New York City, most professionals who want to work in the business with the big boys relocate to that area to get jobs at those offices.

I can see DC Entertainment's head offfice locating operations on the west coast--but I don't understand why the publishing end of things has to be there, given that New York is the hub of the publishing business. And there are people in the industry who have lived their whole lives there. They've rasied their families there, put down roots in the community. This move will force those people to choose between their job and their home life--with some probably being forced to quit because they can't transplant their whole family to the other side of the country.

The email argument works both ways. If a lot of this work can be done electronically, then why bother moving? To the extent that they need to have a physical publishing office somewhere--New York seems like a better place for that office.

It strikes me that this is one more move toward ending DC's invovlemnt with publishing comics and focusing them on other platforms.

MY FAVOURITE FUNNIES
Xylob
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 12:02:07 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

JimmmKelly wrote:
...And there are people in the industry who have lived their whole lives there. They've rasied their families there, put down roots in the community. This move will force those people to choose between their job and their home life--with some probably being forced to quit because they can't transplant their whole family to the other side of the country...
Maybe this will bring about some of the much-needed changes in the industry (at least for DC).

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
JimmmKelly
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 1:09:38 PM

But most of these people who have to move are lower tier people who have no influence on DC's creative direction. I'm talking about assistant editors, production staff, office administrators, and the like. I'm sure Dan Didio and Geoff Johns want to move to Hollywood, if they aren't living there already. But the average office worker doesn't have the income or resources to uproot their whole family and establish a new residence on the west coast. Those folks are the most vulnerable in this decision and the ones with the least power to effect change.

MY FAVOURITE FUNNIES