Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Horror movie legend slams The Walking Dead Options
wickedcomics
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 10:12:53 AM

Groups: Member

So what are your thoughts on the father of zombies opinion? A lot of the movies Romero create, are true work of art. Romero lost site of what a good zombie flick was years ago. He's released garbage after utter garbage. I'm not taking away anything he's done because Night of the Living Dead is one of my favorite zombie movies. "They're coming to get you Barbara." To be honest the Dawn of the Dead remake was better than the original and I loved the original. Sometimes you have to tip your hat off to someone instead of knocking down what they're doing.

Yahoo TV wrote:
Oh no you didn’t, George Romero! The legendary horror filmmaker of “Night of the Living Dead” told a British magazine he said no to an offer to direct episodes of the AMC mega-hit “The Walking Dead” because the drama is “just a soap opera with a zombie occasionally.”

“They asked me to do a couple of episodes of ‘The Walking Dead,’ but I didn’t want to be a part of it,” Romero said in the Halloween edition of The Big Issue. “Basically it’s just a soap opera with a zombie occasionally. I always used the zombie as a character for satire or a political criticism, and I find that missing in what’s happening now.”

Romero, the father of zombie cinema whose seminal “Night of the Living Dead” is in the National Film Registry, also seems to have an issue in general with modern film and TV zombies and the pace at which they try to track down their human snacks.

“I guess Zack Snyder started that with the remake of ‘Dawn of the Dead’ — fast-moving zombies — but the zombies in ‘World War Z,’ my God, they’re like army ants! But in all the [advertisements] here, they never called it a zombie film,” Romero said.

He also never referred to his zombies as "zombies" in “Night of the Living Dead,” he pointed out. “I never thought they were zombies. To me back then, zombies were those voodoo guys who were given some sort of blowfish cocktail and became slaves. And they weren’t dead, so I thought I was doing a brand new thing by raising the dead. Not that the dead haven’t been risen before… It goes back to Jesus, doesn’t it?”

“The Walking Dead,” which airs the fourth episode of Season 4 this Sunday, certainly isn’t hurting for viewers. “Dead” is far and away the number one series on cable, and one of the top-rated series in the 18-49 demographic amongst all broadcast and cable shows.

So we’re guessing the “Dead” folks won’t take the remarks by Romero — who’s also expressed his disapproval of “The Da Vinci Code,” the level of Ron Howard’s passion for filmmaking, and “Saw III” in the past — to heart.

Still, it is fun to think about a Romero-directed adventure with Rick Grimes, Michonne, Daryl, and The Governor…

MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 10:40:42 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Did, did he just call Jesus a zombie? Confused

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

Thundercron
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 11:26:02 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Let me start off by saying I'm not a huge zombie expert. I think I saw Night of the Living Dead years and years ago, but haven't seen any of Romero's other films. I don't watch the Walking Dead tv show because I usually work evenings, and even though there are shows I want to see, I just don't want to be a slave to the DVR. So I usually opt out of most series television.

With that being said, I have been perusing the Walking Dead comics since around #100. And I think what Romero said is spot-on. Maybe I wouldn't use the term "soap opera", but there definitely isn't a whole lot of zombie stuff going on. It's more about the humans involved.

So if the show's anything like the comic, then I think Romero has a point.
BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 11:54:32 AM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Back in the day, Romero was the man when it comes to zombies. However fast-forward to today, and he really doesn't have a leg to stand on. Did you guys see Land of the Dead or Survival of the Dead? They were TERRIBLE.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
4saken1
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 1:45:06 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

While I admit Night of the Living Dead was a groundbreaking movie both cinematically and socially, Romero seems to suffer from crotchety old man syndrome. Just because he wants to keep making the same zombie movie over and over again doesn't meen that every incarnation of the industry he spawned needs to do so too!

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 1:47:32 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

If he did make the same movie over and over again, they might still be good. He's gotten worse, with time.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Nate77
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 2:08:02 PM

I was always under the belief that the walking dead was a human drama set in the backdrop of a zombie apocalypse. Rick in the comic even states "we are the walking dead"

4 8 15 16 23 42

Pull List: Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Superior Spider-Man, Savage Wolverine, Wolverine, Deadpool,X-Force, Captain America, Guardians of the Galaxy, Batman & ?, B.P.R.D., Hellboy, The Walking Dead, Super Dinosaur.
Xylob
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 2:57:28 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

He nailed it - "Basically it’s just a soap opera with a zombie occasionally.".
I've been describing it exactly this way since the beginning. Doesn't change the fact that it's one of my all-time favorite TV shows, but it is not "Horror".

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
BruceReville
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 4:32:44 PM

MoonKnight1 wrote:

Well by definition ---Hypnotized

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

KingZombie
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 4:40:36 PM

Xylob wrote:
He nailed it - "Basically it’s just a soap opera with a zombie occasionally.".
I've been describing it exactly this way since the beginning. Doesn't change the fact that it's one of my all-time favorite TV shows, but it is not "Horror".

Agreed. Romero's correct. It's still good though. Even Kirkman has said as much about the comic itself.
Xylob
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 5:12:19 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

BruceReville wrote:
MoonKnight1 wrote:

Well by definition ---Hypnotized

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
MER
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 7:27:23 PM

Yea...I've felt this way ever since they introduced other characters after Glenn b/c the cast has made a LOT of stupid mistakes for no reason. I could go on, but there's not much to the show. I haven't read the comics, but I'm sure the stories take a different take on their story (hoping).

"(shouting)I'm not a window cleaner!"
-Roy (The IT Crowd)

Q: Who's the best opponent to fight in the X-Men's Danger Room?
A: Unicorns and Butterflies

Ode to get Tommy out of lurking-
"Punisher is not good. No response? I guess everyone agrees"