Welcome Guest Active Topics
Alan Moore Finds Sucess of The Avengers "Alarming" Options
KingZombie
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 6:06:26 PM

Groups: Member

Alan Moore Finds Success of The Avengers "Alarming"

Quote:
Alan Moore Finds Success of The Avengers "Alarming"
The Watchmen writer isn't impressed with modern superheroes.
by Chris Tilly
November 25, 2013

Alan Moore has been talking about the state of superhero comics and films in the 21st century, stating that he no longer likes the genre, and saying that he finds audiences going to see The Avengers in their droves “alarming.”

"I haven't read any superhero comics since I finished with Watchmen,” the writer told The Guardian while promoting his latest work, Fashion Beast. “I hate superheroes. I think they're abominations. They don't mean what they used to mean. They were originally in the hands of writers who would actively expand the imagination of their nine-to-13-year-old audience. That was completely what they were meant to do and they were doing it excellently.

“These days, superhero comics think the audience is certainly not nine to 13, it's nothing to do with them. It's an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. Someone came up with the term graphic novel. These readers latched on to it; they were simply interested in a way that could validate their continued love of Green Lantern or Spider-Man without appearing in some way emotionally subnormal.

“This is a significant rump of the superhero-addicted, mainstream-addicted audience. I don't think the superhero stands for anything good. I think it's a rather alarming sign if we've got audiences of adults going to see the Avengers movie and delighting in concepts and characters meant to entertain the 12-year-old boys of the 1950s."

I really think this guy has gone off the deep end. Either he's deliberately trying to alienate his fan base or he's suffering from amnesia. His work alone was responsible for the redirection of the age demographic superhero comics are geared towards. Heck, Watchmen alone can be held responsible for it.
comicscastle
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 6:24:54 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

He says he hasn't read a superhero comic since he finished Watchmen, which was in 1987. That was 26 years ago. I'd say he's speaking from an uninformed point of view, just like my parents did back in the 1960's.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 6:31:27 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

4saken1
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 7:01:18 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

KingZombie wrote:
I really think this guy has gone off the deep end. Either he's deliberately trying to alienate his fan base or he's suffering from amnesia. His work alone was responsible for the redirection of the age demographic superhero comics are geared towards. Heck, Watchmen alone can be held responsible for it.

I completely agree! Unless he intended Watchmen as some sort of farce commentary on the direction that comics were heading, the statements he made in that article are completely hypocritical.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

BruceReville
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 9:12:25 PM

He may not have read any super-hero comic since 1987 (Which was his own Watchmen), but he sure wrote alot since 1987:

Spawn
Violator
Violator/Badrock
Spawn: Blood Feud
WildC.A.T.S.
Supreme
Glory
Judgement Day
Top 10
etc, etc, etc

I don't like strawberry ice cream, but I am going to keep making strawberry ice cream Silly

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

Tamwood
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 9:29:04 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Proof that not even Alan Moore reads the over-rated crap that he writes.
JimmmKelly
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 6:35:29 AM

Actually, I agree with a lot of what Alan Moore says, but as usual with him he lies for dramatic effect. Of course, he's read super-hero comics since writing WATCHMEN. He had to in order to write things like SUPREME and TOM STRONG.

And just because he's lost faith with the current trend in super-heroes (as have I), that doesn't mean the whole thing is useless. It's always possible to go back to the old material and look at that. And it's always possible that there will be more of these comics for kids, eventually. What happens in the present doesn't always negate the good things from the past, or the possibility for a better future.

He seems to totally gloss over the fact that it's his comics, as much as any, that pushed the publishers in the direction they continue to pursue, where they publish comics for pathetic old men rather than optimistic young children.

The super-hero of old is still there in the past and that ideal can't be destroyed, as much as some try.

MY FAVOURITE FUNNIES
Khaine
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:18:55 PM
Groups: Member, Subscriber

just ramblings of a mad man Anxious pointing out the obvious

the norms of society change and everthing else will follow suit or die
BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:56:43 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

This is what years of alcohol and seclusion do to you.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:42:38 PM

Shop at My Store

I pretty much agree with everyone here, and feel Moore is a blowhard and is full of himself.

However, I was at a local shop last week, and the subject of Alan Moore came up. The guy I talked to made some good points, and really caused me to rethink Alan Moore and my view of him.

The comments revolved around how Moore is basically a bitter old man who grows tired of people talking about his old work. Think about it--Moore hasn't stopped writing, but every time he does something new that he wants to promote, all anyone wants to talk about is stuff he did 25-30 years ago. Now apply that to yourself--think about if all that anyone wanted to talk about in terms of your accomplishments was stuff you did three decades ago, meanwhile you are currently doing new stuff that is actually more dear to your heart, but nobody cares.

So now he's just angry and lashes out whenever people bring all this up. He doesn't write superhero books anymore, his latest work isn't superhero, yet the person interviewing him decides to ask him about the superhero genre.

Something to think about, I guess.
JimmmKelly
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:36:00 PM

Alan Moore has always postured like this. It's his thing. Interviewers would be disappointed if he said stuff that was ordinary--they probably couldn't get it published. Their audience wants Moore the Angry, and he gives them what they want.

I don't feel sorry for Moore and I doubt he feels sorry for himself. He's had huge success and made millions from his work. I don't know how much of those millions he's kept--but he doesn't need more success.

He's always presented himself as this private person who wants to be left alone to do his art. So if that's true, then he likely doesn't care about gaining more commercial success.

Comic fans are being hypocritical when they go off on Moore like this--since they all hold up WATCHMEN as some kind of idol to worship and you know they all have loads of Alan Moore books in their library. If they really thought Moore was the waste of space that they make him out to be, then they would stick to their principles and put out their Alan Moore books with the trash.

Moore might be a poser, but that doesn't mean his critics are any better.

MY FAVOURITE FUNNIES
BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:49:25 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

JimmmKelly wrote:
Comic fans are being hypocritical when they go off on Moore like this--since they all hold up WATCHMEN as some kind of idol to worship and you know they all have loads of Alan Moore books in their library. If they really thought Moore was the waste of space that they make him out to be, then they would stick to their principles and put out their Alan Moore books with the trash.

I think the only Moore I have in my collection are the Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Annual, and the first few Supreme issues. I never have been a big fan of Moore. Too dark, gloomy, and depressing for my tastes, for the most part.

And I've said a few times around these boards that I'm not a fan of Watchmen, either the comics or the movie. For the same reason.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
comicscastle
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 8:34:04 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

BurningDoom wrote:
JimmmKelly wrote:

I think the only Moore I have in my collection are the Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Annual, and the first few Supreme issues. I never have been a big fan of Moore. Too dark, gloomy, and depressing for my tastes, for the most part.

And I've said a few times around these boards that I'm not a fan of Watchmen, either the comics or the movie. For the same reason.
+1
I've tried to read Watchmen on several occasions and have been unable to get past the second issue. To me it is unreadable garbage as is everything else I have tried by Moore. He is not alone, I personally don't care for any of the big name writers. I grew up in a much simpler time and prefer a simpler writing in my comics. If I want a deeper more thought provoking read then I'll read an actual book.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

Xylob
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:40:29 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Much like Grant Morrison, Moore has bought into his own hype.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
RubberMalletComics
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:24:48 PM

So according to the guy who thinks he's a warlock and that witchcraft is real, comic books are only for kids?

Laughing

SwiftMann
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 1:30:48 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

He's become the cooky and creepy old uncle of comicdom. I'm okay with that. And, really, can't say I'm at all surprised.

I have at least a shelf of trades dedicated to his work in my collection. His stuff is great. Although Watchmen isn't my favorite. That may be V for Vendetta or maybe Top 10. His work is often dense, but it's not (to me) Morrison pretentious. That said, I do skip a lot of his text pages in his work since they don't seem to add much.

And I'm chomping at the bit to read his whole run on Miracleman in a beautiful hardcover soon.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5