Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Marvel to Re-re-launch titles? Options
SlappyBlades
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:53:54 AM

Groups: Member

As a part of the All New Marvel Now we get a second re-launch of Fantastic Four in the same year? It was only January when Marvel re-launched Fantastic Four.

We also get a re-re-launch of Wolverine. Again, the second launch this year. Wolverine has an even shorter tenure as the title re-launched in May.

Now I read Marvel will re-re-launch Daredevil for All New Marvel Now? After 25 issues of Daredevil Marvel will ship Daredevil #1 in March of 2014? The same creative team from the canceled series run will now begin a new series run at #1.

I don't know how other Marvel readers feel about this but I've had enough.

Do we really need to re-launch a title every time a creative team changes? Do we need a re-launch to coincide with every movie release? And now, do we really need a re-launch just because a story arc is offering major changes to a character?

I know #1 issues sell and bring in new readers that want to feel like they are jumping on at the beginning of something. What about loyal readers? What do readers that remain committed get? A slew of canceled runs and titles that don't come with staying power.

I was one of the many that found DC's New 52 came with significant disappointment. Now I realize Marvel Now comes with its own disappointment. The disappointment of promises being broken.

So much for titles that come with artists & writers committed to a book for any significant amount of time.

This is my first post on the CCL message board. I wonder if not I'm alone on this.

What titles did anyone start buying with Marvel Now? What titles is anyone still buying? What is your overall favorite Marvel Now moment? What is your overall worst disappointment?

What All New Marvel Now titles is anyone going to buy?

The artist that made Uncanny X-Force so thrilling left after issue #4. The replacement artist wasn't in the same league. I left soon after.
BruceReville
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:01:51 AM

Marvel seems to be determined to never reach 50 again - that's ok - in 5 years or so after all these "Changes" - Marvel might go back and pick-up the numbering to what it should be - so we could go from Fantastic Four 18 to 999 in the span of a month Silly

And Welcome to the site Applause

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!

SwiftMann
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:31:04 AM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

In attempting to drum up sales, I think Marvel is just confusing everyone.

First it was .1 and now we've got .INF (or whatever) and Avengers #22 is All-New #1. Just tell stories and don't worry about the damn numbering Marvel.

The Daredevil reboot is ridiculous though. Same creative team, but DD moves to San Francisco, so new #1?!? At this point, just make every story arc it's own mini-series and call these titles what they are, a series of mini-series. A new #1 every few months!

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 9:01:48 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

SlappyBlades wrote:
...I know #1 issues sell and bring in new readers that want to feel like they are jumping on at the beginning of something. What about loyal readers? What do readers that remain committed get?...
What about 'em? They've already got you hooked, you'll keep spending now no matter what, right? Are you seriously going to stop collecting? They're betting that you won't, so screw you (and all the rest of us too!) - they need to keep getting more and more new people hooked too.
Don't worry, all those new readers they attract will soon be in the same boat as you.
Comic publishers = crack dealers.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
BurningDoom
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 11:59:28 AM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

My comic buying has gone down A LOT when it comes to new issues. Both DC and Marvel seem to be tripping over themselves with relaunches, re-imaginings, and new #1's. It really is ridiculous (barring a few gems like Superior Spider-Man and Earth-2). I'm a loyal reader, and I'm confused at what's going on in the general Marvel Universe right now.

That just means I've been getting more back-issues the last few months on CCL (not right now, though, Christmas and all).

@Xylob:

What new readers? lol. The comic fanbase is the same fanbase it was 10 years ago. All the kids are too busy with their IPads, Androids, PS4s, Twilight, and Hunger Games.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 1:46:48 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
@Xylob:

What new readers? lol. The comic fanbase is the same fanbase it was 10 years ago. All the kids are too busy with their IPads, Androids, PS4s, Twilight, and Hunger Games.
20 years ago? I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a child in a comic book store. Hell, I'm often the youngest person when I stop in on Wednesday afternoons, and I'm 40. I'm not sure who they're trying to target as "new readers" really... even the "adults" who are going to the superhero movies in droves or rabidly watching Big Bang Theory aren't committing themselves to comic collecting (or even bothering to read one once in a while).

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

Shizz
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 7:49:02 AM

Big surprise, how disappointing Marvel.
comicscastle
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 8:33:51 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

Shizz wrote:
As always the "house of ideas" sees DC do something successfully and then they copy the idea. The only difference is they didn't have the guts to do it across all titles.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

padreglcc
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 8:36:50 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

comicscastle wrote:
Shizz wrote:
As always the "house of ideas" sees DC do something successfully and then they copy the idea. The only difference is they didn't have the guts to do it across all titles.

This. I think there's a real difference between DC relaunching it's entire universe and Marvel continuously renumbering series here and there and slapping the words "All New" on various titles. Marvel seems to be doing something very gimmicky, while DC, IMO, seemed to be trying to do something meaningful.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 12:39:25 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

comicscastle wrote:
Shizz wrote:

True. But DC has been just as guilty of copying Marvel over the years.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Thundercron
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 2:00:23 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

padreglcc wrote:
comicscastle wrote:
Shizz wrote:

This. I think there's a real difference between DC relaunching it's entire universe and Marvel continuously renumbering series here and there and slapping the words "All New" on various titles. Marvel seems to be doing something very gimmicky, while DC, IMO, seemed to be trying to do something meaningful.

I agree. At least DC has stuck with their idea for over two years now, regardless if some of the initial hype has died off.

I still believe that Disney has put sales quotas on Marvel comics since they bought the company. It's my own theory, no proof. It just seems these mega-crossovers and relaunches has really amped up since the company was bought by Disney. Disney wants the company for movies and merchandising, and comics sales doesn't contribute much of anything in the big picture. And big corporations aren't interested in floating arms of the company that are not self-sufficient.

Just look at what they did to Lucasfilm's video game division. They totally shut it down, in favor of licensing out the video game properties to other companies. There's no reason to think they wouldn't do the same with Marvel if sales aren't sustainable.
outcast
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 7:24:44 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

Xylob wrote:
What about 'em? They've already got you hooked, you'll keep spending now no matter what, right? Are you seriously going to stop collecting? They're betting that you won't, so screw you (and all the rest of us too!) - they need to keep getting more and more new people hooked too.
Don't worry, all those new readers they attract will soon be in the same boat as you.
Comic publishers = crack dealers.
Not necessarily. My attitude toward new issues of DC titles changed pretty radically in Sept. 2011, from "I'll watch what's coming out in the hope of finding something that interests me, and purchase anything that looks halfway promising," to "It's now up to DC to catch my attention, and to overcome my inertia regarding their comics."

But that's mild compared to my sense of betrayal by Marvel. Seriously, they have led the industry in sales for 98% of the months in the last 42 years, and they can't match DC in (1) printing and binding a thicker-paper cover on their comics, while (2) charging an additional $1 per issue on many of their titles? Marvel has to offer something I cannot resist to get my purchase dollars these days.
RubberMalletComics
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 9:23:36 PM

While the constant renumbering is irritating, I will say that I can get more new interest in a title if it's a low number than I can with a high numbered comic that is starting a "new direction".

But my biggest gripe - and this is mostly with Marvel - is that after a while of renumbering, they'll return to the big numbers to try to grab that issue in the even hundreds. They did this with Amazing Spider-Man, Wolverine, Avengers ... several times for some of them. While the some of the storylines have been quite excellent, it's a bear for filing.

If it were up to me (and it really isn't), if first issues are that important, they should go to a new volume every year. That way the deepest a story can go is 12 issues (24 if biweekly) and an annual and then start again.

Thundercron
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 11:42:40 PM

Shop at My Store

RubberMalletComics wrote:

If it were up to me (and it really isn't), if first issues are that important, they should go to a new volume every year. That way the deepest a story can go is 12 issues (24 if biweekly) and an annual and then start again.

Seems to me that they're pretty close to doing that now.
padreglcc
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 12:05:29 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

But my biggest gripe - and this is mostly with Marvel - is that after a while of renumbering, they'll return to the big numbers to try to grab that issue in the even hundreds. They did this with Amazing Spider-Man, Wolverine, Avengers ... several times for some of them. While the some of the storylines have been quite excellent, it's a bear for filing.

Yeah it's no fun for the Approvers here either, trying to figure out which title to put those issues with in the database.

Thundercron wrote:

Seems to me that they're pretty close to doing that now.

This is essentially what Aspen does. Each story arc is a new series. That's why Fathom is on volume 5 and Soulfire is on volume 4, etc.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
SlappyBlades
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2013 3:07:18 PM

I've been collecting comics in an erratic fashion for a long time. I bought a majority of the New 52 from DC. And most of what I read left a bad taste in my mouth.

Still, I was excited to hear about Marvel Now and remained open minded. I was aware of the re-numberings of recent past and set a rule for myself. I will go only as far as these books would take me.

With that rule in mind, I bought a majority of Marvel Now. With that rule in mind I'm now done with most of the books I tried. I've had enough. I'm going to devote my budget to comics of the past.

Super heroes are and always will be my favorite. But I won't continue to buy the chum hitting the shelves each month. Most of what I buy now is creator owned titles. Image, Dark Horse and an occasional IDW.

I like a lot of these titles. It's easier to find a satisfying read with titles that don't make me feel like I'm throwing my money away. But they're not superheroes. I'm cutting back on creator owned because I want superheroes.

I'm putting the crack pipe down. I'm going to spend more time in the back issue section of my local comic store. I don't want anymore events. I won't buy another new #1. I won't stick around hoping that next month, the next issue will get better.

I won't buy any new comics if this is the way Marvel & DC want to sell them to me.

I've got a lot of holes in my collection. I think it's time to fill the empty spaces.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2013 3:35:11 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

SlappyBlades wrote:
I've been collecting comics in an erratic fashion for a long time. I bought a majority of the New 52 from DC. And most of what I read left a bad taste in my mouth.

Still, I was excited to hear about Marvel Now and remained open minded. I was aware of the re-numberings of recent past and set a rule for myself. I will go only as far as these books would take me.

With that rule in mind, I bought a majority of Marvel Now. With that rule in mind I'm now done with most of the books I tried. I've had enough. I'm going to devote my budget to comics of the past.

Super heroes are and always will be my favorite. But I won't continue to buy the chum hitting the shelves each month. Most of what I buy now is creator owned titles. Image, Dark Horse and an occasional IDW.

I like a lot of these titles. It's easier to find a satisfying read with titles that don't make me feel like I'm throwing my money away. But they're not superheroes. I'm cutting back on creator owned because I want superheroes.

I'm putting the crack pipe down. I'm going to spend more time in the back issue section of my local comic store. I don't want anymore events. I won't buy another new #1. I won't stick around hoping that next month, the next issue will get better.

I won't buy any new comics if this is the way Marvel & DC want to sell them to me.

I've got a lot of holes in my collection. I think it's time to fill the empty spaces.

First off, welcome to the site! I'm guessing the Ant-Man in your avatar is the SCOTT Lang version! Winking

I'm not sure why Marvel and DC are rebooting every couple of years, it certainly seems counterproductive. When I first started reading comics I was a Marvel guy. I liked how all of the characters lived and interacted in the same world. DC kind of confused me. I was never sure if I was reading an Earth-1 story or Earth-2 or whatever. I liked DC a lot more after the Crisis event. Continuity was easier to follow.

I can understand why the Big Two might want to start something new to attract readers but it doesn't make sense for them to alienate their long time fans.

Plus, as you mentioned, there are a plethora of super hero comics not published by Marvel or DC that are equally enjoyable. You can't go wrong with back issues either!

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

ratrapp
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2013 5:59:47 PM

I am slowly dropping new titles and concentrating on finishing up my amazing spider man and incredible hulk run.that was back when the stories may have been simpler but meant more to me.go to a comic show and you'll see the same people at each show.i don't know if they are really bringing in any new buyers or not.i would rather save and but atom#1 to finish my set than 50 or 60 new comics over 2 or 3 month period.
Xylob
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2013 6:41:04 PM

I'm looking at dropping subscriptions to individual titles and going to TPBs. This will work well for the titles I collect that aren't DC. On some titles it works out to the same price, so there's no gain there, but I'll save a lot of space (some titles I'll save a little green on).
But the DC titles? Nope - they like to do stupid crap with their trades like collect issues 1-3, 5, and 7-8.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

teh_longinator
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 8:34:19 PM

Xylob wrote:
I'm looking at dropping subscriptions to individual titles and going to TPBs. This will work well for the titles I collect that aren't DC. On some titles it works out to the same price, so there's no gain there, but I'll save a lot of space (some titles I'll save a little green on).
But the DC titles? Nope - they like to do stupid crap with their trades like collect issues 1-3, 5, and 7-8.

Yeah, I was in my local Chapters and noticed this trend with DC.

Pretty stoked on getting the TMNT Vol. 1. It's $50, but collects a fair deal of otherwise pricey books.

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=