Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Tips on Clearing Out a Collection Options
teh_longinator
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 10:28:56 PM

Groups: Member

Sup y'all,

I'm working on clearing out my collection. Get it down the the bare bones... Well, kinda... And focus on things that are awesome. It's a slow process, filled with much personal thought and decision... But I figured I'd make this thread as a method of helping those of us that are having issues letting go and clearing out.

For example. I'm sitting here debating whether or not I want to let go of my #1-10 Age of Ultron set, or just cave and get the trade. I hated how the story ended, and that it had no lasting impact on the Marvel Universe. But, I do think as a whole it was alright. So it's in the maybe pile.

Anywho, I'm ranting again. I figure even if everyone here on the forums gives even a single tip, that we will all learn something.

So, my tip might be basic, but it's the only thing I seem to realize. Keep what you enjoy. If you've found a ton of Action Comics sitting on your shelf, but hate Superman... ditch the books, regardless of their values. The obvious exception to this, at least for myself, is if it is a first appearance, or features a cover you can display proudly on your wall.

So what do you guys think? What are some tips you've used to clean out your own stuff?

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
4saken1
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:25:14 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

When I'm in the process of slimming down on comics, I usually ask myself if I ever think I'll read it again ot if I would suggest that a friend should read it.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 11:14:48 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I do about the same as what you two have said.
I've started to run out of room recently and the week or so I spent re-arranging the area I have for funny book and action figure collections didn't gain me a whole lot of space...
I've taken stock of what I currently have and did some prioritizing.
-Do I still enjoy this title/character?
-Will I ever read this again?

I've dropped some titles recently and will soon drop a couple more when they reach certain issue #s at which time I'll start collecting them as TPBs (not much, if any, $ savings on the switch to TPBs - but it will save me some room).
I've pulled out a lot of books and moved them to the storage "pit" in the basement where I now have around 2 longboxes of stuff I don't want. I've been taking stuff to 2nd & Charles (Books-A-Million) and TradeSmart (Hastings) and getting store credit where I then feed my CD, DVD/Blu-Ray, and video game habits.
Additionally, on some new titles I've been interested in while perusing PREVIEWS, instead of ordering a sub I've decided to wait for the TPBs to come out (assuming they will be collected).
No ads and 'editorial' crapola in the TPBs (usually) means less space taken up in my collection.

I've also pulled some stuff out and set it aside for binding.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
kisstour03
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 1:43:38 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Funny, I have been thinking about this off-and-on for the last month or so. My collection isn't huge by any means. But I have to think ahead to how many boxes will fit in the area I have set aside for that. My line of thinking kinda goes to what has been said already. If I'm not going to read something again. Cut it out. Trade wait certain new titles. Saves space on a shelf. Only buy singles of titles/characters I really, really like. Buy older titles in collected editions like Masterworks and DC Archives. It's amazing how much you can "stress" out over this stuff isn't it?
teh_longinator
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:55:40 PM

Xylob wrote:
I do about the same as what you two have said.
I've started to run out of room recently and the week or so I spent re-arranging the area I have for funny book and action figure collections didn't gain me a whole lot of space...
I've taken stock of what I currently have and did some prioritizing.
-Do I still enjoy this title/character?
-Will I ever read this again?

I've dropped some titles recently and will soon drop a couple more when they reach certain issue #s at which time I'll start collecting them as TPBs (not much, if any, $ savings on the switch to TPBs - but it will save me some room).
I've pulled out a lot of books and moved them to the storage "pit" in the basement where I now have around 2 longboxes of stuff I don't want. I've been taking stuff to 2nd & Charles (Books-A-Million) and TradeSmart (Hastings) and getting store credit where I then feed my CD, DVD/Blu-Ray, and video game habits.
Additionally, on some new titles I've been interested in while perusing PREVIEWS, instead of ordering a sub I've decided to wait for the TPBs to come out (assuming they will be collected).
No ads and 'editorial' crapola in the TPBs (usually) means less space taken up in my collection.

Yeah, that's always been an advantage of trade-waiting. No ads in TPBs. On the other hand, I've grown accustomed to the weekly grind of grabbing my books, and cramming them in. I just don't think that I could do that with trades. At my base, I'm really impatient.

I did manage to cut Batman and the Outsiders Vol. 1 from my collection, and already feel a bit freer. I thought to myself. I'm already piecing together Batman Vol 1... Do I really need Batman & a bunch of random characters I'm not fond of? Nope. Sad really, Issue 5 with the Teen Titans almost made me want the book... But getting Batman, Batman and Robin, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, and Batman: Shadow of the Bat seems kinda... I dunno... Redundant?

Cave Comics

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:17:07 PM

I can't really go the TPB route with DC though... since they like to regularly do stupid $h!t like "this volume collects issues 3-5, 7, 9, & 12".

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

teh_longinator
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:32:20 PM

Xylob wrote:
I can't really go the TPB route with DC though... since they like to regularly do stupid $h!t like "this volume collects issues 3-5, 7, 9, & 12".

This is true. Very, very true.

Marvel's always been pretty okay about their trades. Probably gonna get Spider-Man 2099 Vol. 1 and Timestorm tomorrow.

Cave Comics

Khaine
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:08:25 AM

After the new year I'll be doing something to this effect too. My wife laughs at me when i reorganize my books, which I seems to do on a monthly basis....

I was getting a few dynamite and IDW titles that I will probably unload and just get the tp for the ones im interested in. That for me is a economical way of getting them as the individual comics are pricey.

I'll probably start to cull my pull list too, as I'm not getting many of them read and since I've been buying on CCL I got a few boxes of unread comics by my bed also D'oh

I'm going to get rid of the stuff I bought randomly to try out, I try to give a series 4 issues before I determine whether to give it das boot. So i got a box full of stuff that never caught my interest.

Everything else I'm holding onto, even if I don't read it anymore. Eventually I'll have all my keepers in mylar bags.
Xylob
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:27:51 AM

The first time I started running out of space, I went through and pulled out all the boards...
Seriously.
Now my collection is 100% bagged, but only every 3rd book has a board (exceptions for "special" books of course).
I was very happily surprised at how much space it made.

Think about it now... Stack up 100 bagged and boarded comics and then lay 66 boards in a stack next to the comic stack. The bigger your collection is, the more space you'll reap.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

teh_longinator
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:56:12 AM

Xylob wrote:
The first time I started running out of space, I went through and pulled out all the boards...
Seriously.
Now my collection is 100% bagged, but only every 3rd book has a board (exceptions for "special" books of course).
I was very happily surprised at how much space it made.

Think about it now... Stack up 100 bagged and boarded comics and then lay 66 boards in a stack next to the comic stack. The bigger your collection is, the more space you'll reap.

Wouldn't doing that leave the books completely unprotected, though?

A great idea, though. I can see maybe putting two books in one bag...

Cave Comics

Khaine
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:27:06 PM

I do the 2 books per bag now. that a good space saver but, was a problem until I got the ccl to manage what I had.
Xylob
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:52:17 PM

teh_longinator wrote:
.Wouldn't doing that leave the books completely unprotected, though?...
how so? They're all bagged, they're all vertical - nothing sags or bends.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

4saken1
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:03:22 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Another thing you might consider getting rid of are comics that are easily replaceable, such as things you might find in $1 (or less) bins. If you ever do decide to read them again, they shouldn't be too hard to track down.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

Xylob
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:28:50 PM

4saken1 wrote:
...$1 (or less) bins...
I've never seen such a thing...

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

kisstour03
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:34:32 PM

The board in every third book thing Xylob described has its appeal. Hmmm will have to give that one some consideration. A full box is fully supported and no damage can result.

I'm trying to decide what to do with the books I cull out. I don't have the time or patience to do a CCL store.
Xylob
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:36:59 PM

kisstour03 wrote:
The board in every third book thing Xylob described has its appeal. ... A full box is fully supported and no damage can result...
This is key.
It's no good in a box that isn't full or close to it.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

kisstour03
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 9:02:13 AM

Xylob wrote:
kisstour03 wrote:
The board in every third book thing Xylob described has its appeal. ... A full box is fully supported and no damage can result...
This is key.
It's no good in a box that isn't full or close to it.

A bundle of old newspapers would work for the extra space too. I see a winter project in my future.
Xylob
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 10:04:14 AM

I've got a lifetime supply of boards now... When I started collecting in the early 90s everything got b&b and 90%+ of stuff I buy on the internet is b&b so going with only one every 3 books has given me a big ol' stack of boards.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

inhumanking
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 11:32:55 AM

Xylob wrote:

I finally dropped off my first batch for binding... Clive Barker's 'The Great & Secret Show' from IDW.

Honestly, if there wasn't a bindery right here locally, I may never have done it. S&H both ways would make it cost prohibitive for me.

Along the lines of cleaning out the collection, I decided the bag&board/box/single issue thing is no longer for me**, so I'll:

1) sell off the stuff I won't re-read

2) weigh the option of selling the stuff I want to keep and getting trades / HC's, or

3) keeping my favorite issues and having them bound

**with one or two exceptions, like a specific artist

Xylob
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 1:45:39 PM

inhumanking wrote:
Honestly, if there wasn't a bindery right here locally, I may never have done it. S&H both ways would make it cost prohibitive for me...
and this is why my stuff continues to sit to the side...

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted: