Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Bagging and boarding question Options
SPARTAN833
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 10:32:05 AM
Groups: Member

Hello all, I am new to both collecting and this website. I have a few questions about bagging and boarding my small (little over 100 books) collection. They're all new 52 dc runs, except about 20 1980's ghost rider books. Im not really concerned about value, just keeping em in nice condition for posterity and to reread now and again. They are all currently in current size poly bags with boards, with oversized issues in silver age. My questions are these:
1. Mylar or poly?
2. If mylar, what thickness?
3. Are backing boards necessary with mylar bags, being semi rigid?

Thanks in advance!

Logan
DRUMCZAR
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 12:08:33 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Logan,

1st & Foremost - WELCOME TO CCL!

I use poly bags & Boards for all my comics, but double board all my silver & Golden age books, if for no other reason than cost. Magazine Bags are Great for the Marvel Megazines. I've been using Poly bags for 30+yrs & rotate (Rebag) every couple of years when/if needed it. I've never had a problem with them. Mylar is more Rigid of a "bag" but cost a lot more & yes you should use boards with them. They're not that rigid. Hope this helped.

Stop by my store & see if I might have anything you're looking for. All my books are Bagged & Boarded! I'm currently giving 30% back on ALL Orders!

Again Welcome, This is a Great site! Glad you found us.

Happy Hunting &

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

ADC

PEACE!+

EVERYTHING IS 30% OFF!!!

FREE SHIPPING (US Only) STARTS AT $20(Media) / $30 (Priority)
(US Orders only)

ALL INTERNATIONAL SHIPMENTS GET FREE INSURANCE & TRACKING!!!

SHOP AT MY STORE - - ADC'S COLLECTION!

I AM HIGHLY COMMITTED TO MAKING IT ONE OF THE BEST BUYING EXPERIENCES YOU'VE EVER HAD!!!

BALTIMORE RAVENS SUPERBOWL XLVII CHAMPIONS!!!

GO RAVENS !!!
MoonKnight1
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 2:00:46 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Hi Logan, welcome to the site! I hope you find it enjoyable.

You can't go wrong with Mylars but as Alan just said, you should still have a board in there.

I mostly only use Mylars for high dollar books. They are quite pricey and the poly bags are fine on their own. Anything from the 80's and 90's and before are a tight fit for Modern Bags, so I usually go with Silver for most everything else.

Some people have been known to put two comics per bag & board but that's just madness! Laughing

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 2:15:57 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

MoonKnight1 wrote:
Some people have been known to put two comics per bag & board but that's just madness! Laughing

Hello, my name is madness.

I don't even know what a mylar looks or feels like. I assume I've used poly for the last 20 years. I go for Silver Age bags and boards because I like the extra room on the sides - doesn't feel like I'm trying to slide a golf ball through a garden hose like a modern bag and board.

Plus, I put two to a bag and board - One on each side.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
MoonKnight1
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 3:08:35 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

SwiftMann wrote:
MoonKnight1 wrote:

Hello, my name is madness.

I don't even know what a mylar looks or feels like. I assume I've used poly for the last 20 years. I go for Silver Age bags and boards because I like the extra room on the sides - doesn't feel like I'm trying to slide a golf ball through a garden hose like a modern bag and board.

Plus, I put two to a bag and board - One on each side.

See! I told you, there are crazy people everywhere...Cool

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

Flagwaver
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 4:18:35 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I've used poly bags for close to thirty years and have replaced all of them once. Since you only have around 100 books, NOW would be the time to decide whether or not to go with mylar. It will be less expensive to start at the beginning instead of waiting until you have a 16,000+ collection to switch.
SPARTAN833
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 4:57:52 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone! Now one last thing, what brands? Im using bcw because thats all my local store supplies. Anything glaringly wrong with them that warrants a special order?
SPARTAN833
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 5:35:55 PM

Flagwaver wrote:
I've used poly bags for close to thirty years and have replaced all of them once. Since you only have around 100 books, NOW would be the time to decide whether or not to go with mylar. It will be less expensive to start at the beginning instead of waiting until you have a 16,000+ collection to switch.

Yeah i figured now was the best time to inquire about this. Thanks!
Xylob
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 6:05:12 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I bag all comics using Ultra-PRO "current" size bags. Package doesn't say what they're made of but it does state "Acid Free - No PVC"... they're the only brand I can find at comic stores around here.
As for boards, I store my comics standing upright (even if it means using a box or something as a spacer) and only put a board into every 3rd bag.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
CrossbowComics
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 6:50:14 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Matts Baseball in Watervliet NY is my go-to guy, makes his own ProtectStoreDisplay (PSD) brand. They're priced cheap & they work great. I got sick of the main brands because half the time the bags & boards didn't fit right.

Can find him on Ebay, also at MattsBaseball.com, use keyword "comics". I think if you register you get a better price too.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION - TreehouseComicShop.com
also top rated on Ebay as ideaman33

freakdylan
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 7:48:09 PM

I only use BCW 4mil Mylars for my personal collection.

Also against what others have said, dont use backing boards with mylars, use BCW Comic Extenders instead if you go that route. You place 2 inside the comic and dont cover up the back of the book. Plus they protect the comic better then a plain board will.

Since your pretty much only collecting new stuff I would say stick to the regular BCW bags as Mylars cost me $0.65 per comic which can be a bit much for a $1 comic.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

rook68
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 11:08:55 PM

Xylob wrote:
I bag all comics using Ultra-PRO "current" size bags. Package doesn't say what they're made of but it does state "Acid Free - No PVC"... they're the only brand I can find at comic stores around here.
As for boards, I store my comics standing upright (even if it means using a box or something as a spacer) and only put a board into every 3rd bag.

What he said plus I put the books worth $30 and up as an extra step. I place the comic in a Ultra Pro "current" sized bag with a backing board. I place the whole thing into a top loader also made by Ultra-PRO. As far as that. You should be good to go.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

PCPaperbacks
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 1:14:15 AM

I use Poly bags and regular boards. I use Silver age size.
I put 2 comics per bag, covers facing out...
You get more comics in a box if you double up and they sit nice in the box since the spines are opposite each other with 2 per bag.
I think it is madness to only put one comic per bag, but if you use modern bags, it is hard to fit 2 per bag.

Quote:
"First is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Erp"

outcast
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 9:32:15 AM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

@SPARTAN833:

Before you sink a lot of $$$ in Mylar sleeves, you might want to take a look at this earlier discussion of the topic, right in this very forum.

While there is a lot to be said for the inertness of Mylar when storing paper, the wrong Mylar sleeves offer little protection against oxygen-related aging of paper.
Xylob
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 9:52:19 AM

rook68 wrote:
...plus I put the books worth $30 and up as an extra step...
Anything I deem "special" gets a board no matter what (the exception to my every 3rd item rule) and I've got a few "extra-special" items bagged and enclosed in Mill Cases.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
Atilla2k
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 11:41:21 AM

PCPaperbacks wrote:
I use Poly bags and regular boards. I use Silver age size.
I put 2 comics per bag, covers facing out...
You get more comics in a box if you double up and they sit nice in the box since the spines are opposite each other with 2 per bag.
I think it is madness to only put one comic per bag, but if you use modern bags, it is hard to fit 2 per bag.

I do this as well, the only exception being my Spider-Man titles. Those are bagged and boarded individually and each title has it's own box. I also only use DrawerBoxes for my collection... sooooo much better than the old fashioned long boxes.

SPARTAN833
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 5:26:53 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone. It helped out a lot!