Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Comic Collecting Pet-Peeves Options
BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 2:28:51 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Collecting comics is a great hobby. I'm pretty sure most all of us here enjoy it, or if you're a seller at least enjoyed it at one point. Tracking down that one story you've always wanted to read, or getting that last issue to complete a set is a very satisfying feeling, and it's just fun.

But there are some pet-peeves we all have associated with the hobby. What are some of yours?

My comic collecting pet-peeves:

-Collectors and sellers that sell obviously lower-grade comics at top Overstreet Price Guide values.

-When the corners of the cover of your comic flip up when you're putting them back into a tight-fitting plastic.

-When the tape of the plastic gets caught on the cover.

-When some comic boxes get too full and you have to rearrange the entire dang collection. (I think I just have too many comics.)

-When your computer crashes and you lose all your CCL data including the back-up. So then you have to enter your entire collection manually again (only happened twice in the now 7 years since I've been a member (wow!)).

-When the handles of your comic boxes rip.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
comicscastle
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 3:04:56 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

When you can't find a book you know you have and you have hundreds of boxes of comics.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

Tamwood
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 3:11:46 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Shipping prices.

Mis-graded comics purchased online.

Marvel Value Stamps.
kidlippy
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 3:47:08 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

BurningDoom wrote:

-When the corners of the cover of your comic flip up when you're putting them back into a tight-fitting plastic.

-When some comic boxes get too full and you have to rearrange the entire dang collection. (I think I just have too many comics.)

-When your computer crashes and you lose all your CCL data including the back-up. So then you have to enter your entire collection manually again (only happened twice in the now 7 years since I've been a member (wow!)).

-When the handles of your comic boxes rip.

All of these are true for me too.

Another one is buying the same issue more then once. I've done this many times (a couple of times I've done it at the same time while buying my comics!!! Laughing )
Storing the comics is another big one. I finished renovating my basement and have a comic room. I thought I was being smart when I was doing the measurements and such (half the room for comics and other half for everything else like desk, toys, books,etc)...nope. Comic boxes took up so much more room then I thought. At Wits' End

http://www.myspace.com/kidlippy

Xylob
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 4:58:41 PM

tape

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
outcast
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 5:47:35 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

BurningDoom wrote:
My comic collecting pet-peeves:
This is one I can help you solve.

Scotch Removable Tape uses an adhesive similar to that on 3M Post-It Notes. I have used this product exclusively on comics I have added to my collection for the past 20+ years. I have NEVER lost a color flake to this tape during that time. Not only that, but I have, as a test, deliberately stuck this tape to a comic cover, rubbed it down onto the cover for maximum adhesion, and then removed the tape from the comic without damage.

Personally, I can't think of a reason (except not knowing about this product) that a collector would choose to use any other variety of tape.
kisstour03
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 11:24:34 PM

Pretty much every peeve list so far I can relate to. And thought of a couple of others:

- Sorting a bunch of books and putting them away because I'm too lazy to put them away every time a new order arrives. My own fault I know. You'd think I'd learn.

- Buying a bunch of books from a set like say Justice League #s 10-30. Then reading them and realizing that when you get to the last book in line you don't have the last book to a story arc.Silly Or along the same lines you buy a whole set of a series and you're having a nice day reading and come to an issue that the next book in the story is a crossover to another series you don't have the book from.Wall So then you have to fire up CCL and order the damn book or books to complete the story. And if you're like me you won't read any other issues till those one's you need come in so you don't "ruin" the story.

- Buying a series or story arc because EVERYONE says how awesome it is. And it sucks.

- Comic store managers who are artsy fartsy buttholes who look down their nose at you because you could care less about the artist they have coming in next week to do a signing.

- Wanting to read a few books that are in the short box that is on the bottom, in the corner, behind the other short box in front of it.

- Buying an issue you knew you had and looked "everywhere" for it and couldn't find it. And when the new one comes in you find the one you had only a couple of spaces away from where it should be in the box it was supposed to be in all along.

- Sellers having sales when you're broke. Not anyones fault really just poopy.

- Finding a seller who has every issue of a big run you need. And then the car breaks down and you need to buy a battery that week. Damn real life.

- Wanting to read some comics and you're all set to dive into a good run and your wife yells up from downstairs that company is coming over shortly and you have to go play nice with a bunch of morons you could care less about. Angry

I do have fun with my hobby. Honest.
Thundercron
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 12:36:44 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

kisstour03 wrote:

- Buying a series or story arc because EVERYONE says how awesome it is. And it sucks.

- Comic store managers who are artsy fartsy buttholes who look down their nose at you because you could care less about the artist they have coming in next week to do a signing.

- Sellers having sales when you're broke. Not anyones fault really just poopy.

- Finding a seller who has every issue of a big run you need. And then the car breaks down and you need to buy a battery that week. Damn real life.

I agree with so much of this:

--Been disappointed by nearly every modern age milestone because of hype (Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, Killing Joke, etc).

--Tell me about Artsy Fartsy--Portland, Oregon is right across the river. So this happens here in spades.

--The last two points go hand in hand. And Holiday comic sales are of no use, since all major holidays occur either at the very beginning of the month, or at the end, which is when I'm most broke. No major holidays ever occur in the middle of the month. Sucks for me.
Flagwaver
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 6:58:37 AM

- Overgrading. My biggest peeve is buying a book online and it not being in the grade listed when it arrives. I only buy books that are listed VF-NM because I always expect it to be at least one half-grade lower than what it is listed as. I know grading can be somewhat subjective but, especially if you are in the business of selling comics, you should not list a book as NM when it is obviously a VF-.

- Inflated shipping prices. I undestand that it costs something to ship books because of postage and material but I cannot stand those X cents per book over a certain number. Just raise the listing price for the book if you are going to try and squeeze out more money.

- Unorganized back issue bins. I hate going through back issue bins that are either completely random or only semi-organized. I know it is hard to keep books in strict order, but at least make an effort to keep them grouped by alphabetical letter. I don't want to have to keep going back and forth on my list from the As to Ms to Bs.

Those are my biggies. As to the tape issue, I use removable Avery labels to seal my bags.
padreglcc
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 1:28:26 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

This pet peeve is specific to one guy at my LCS. It's not uncommon for me to be perusing the racks on new comic day looking for anything I may have forgotten to order when I run into a guy who has taken every copy of a particular book off of the rack and is examining each one in detail looking for the perfect copy out of all the copies available, making sure that touches and breathes all over all of the rest of them in the process. Meanwhile, if it's a book I want, I either have to wait or tick him off by asking for a copy. Blerg.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
jbeeman85
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 2:45:05 PM

My biggest pet peeve is sellers not having their books organzied. This seems to happen most often at conventions in the $1 or less boxes. I've mentioned my annoyance with this before. I am not going to spend an hour or more at one booth looking through thousands of comics in hopes that I find one gem.
kisstour03
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 3:25:24 PM

padreglcc wrote:
I run into a guy who has taken every copy of a particular book off of the rack and is examining each one in detail looking for the perfect copy out of all the copies available, making sure that touches and breathes all over all of the rest of them in the process. Meanwhile, if it's a book I want, I either have to wait or tick him off by asking for a copy. Blerg.

I've had this happen a time or two. I (banned) one guy off because I asked him if he could hand me a copy since I wasn't fussy which book I got. So too piss him off more when he went to hand me the top copy he'd already drooled all over I said "No I want the bottom one you haven't molested yet." I thought he was going to spin through the roof.
Tamwood
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 3:28:15 PM

jbeeman85 wrote:
My biggest pet peeve is sellers not having their books organzied. This seems to happen most often at conventions in the $1 or less boxes. I've mentioned my annoyance with this before. I am not going to spend an hour or more at one booth looking through thousands of comics in hopes that I find one gem.

Hell, that's my favorite part of going to a show.
padreglcc
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 4:40:25 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

kisstour03 wrote:
padreglcc wrote:
I run into a guy who has taken every copy of a particular book off of the rack and is examining each one in detail looking for the perfect copy out of all the copies available, making sure that touches and breathes all over all of the rest of them in the process. Meanwhile, if it's a book I want, I either have to wait or tick him off by asking for a copy. Blerg.

I've had this happen a time or two. I (banned) one guy off because I asked him if he could hand me a copy since I wasn't fussy which book I got. So too piss him off more when he went to hand me the top copy he'd already drooled all over I said "No I want the bottom one you haven't molested yet." I thought he was going to spin through the roof.

Excellent. Applause

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
Xylob
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 5:06:11 PM

kisstour03 wrote:
padreglcc wrote:

There was one of these at my last LCS - I pretty much did the same thing, but replaced "molested" with "fondled".
I shoulda gone with "molested"...

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
rook68
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 6:02:16 PM

Groups: Member

My pet peeves are

- when you have a pull list at a comic book store and they either lose your pull list or don't fill it out completely as requested

- when you purchase a comic online and you pay immediately but the seller seems to sit on the issue and takes his sweet time sending it to you

- when your mail person stuffs your comics into your mailbox (Do Not Bend, Handle With Care)instead of delivering it to your door.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

kisstour03
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 6:45:59 PM

rook68 wrote:
- when you have a pull list at a comic book store and they either lose your pull list or don't fill it out completely as requested

This is a big reason I stopped my pull list at my "local" shop. Missing books and a snotty attitude from the guy who manages the place. The 90 minute drive to get there sucked too.
kidlippy
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 7:19:23 PM

kisstour03 wrote:
rook68 wrote:

This is a big reason I stopped my pull list at my "local" shop. Missing books and a snotty attitude from the guy who manages the place. The 90 minute drive to get there sucked too.

I wouldn't really call it a pet peeve, but when the dude that was running my LCS "retired", he sold his part of the store to a member of his family. She screwed up my pull list quite a bit. The dude knew what my interests were since I was going there since 1995. She messed up quite a bit but over a month or so, she finally got better and just like the dude, she found out my interests and had them in my pull list along with my usual comics. So I guess it's new owners that could be a pet peeve of mine too.

http://www.myspace.com/kidlippy

4saken1
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 9:07:47 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I hate it when I buy from another venue and forget to note it properly and end up buying it again on CCL (or vice versa).

Also, going to a comic store to look through their back issues and finding them all in disarray. This particularly annoys me when they spend all day playing D&D or MTG with their customers.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

fenix1977
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 12:42:58 AM

I hate when something I know I have..can't be found. Or shippers do a half arsed job about packing.

Mad Bloggings