Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Millennium Edition MAD #1 recalled, newsstand question Options
outcast
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 8:07:41 AM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

Millennium Edition MAD #1 is reported to have been recalled and reprinted due to two errors, specified here.

The issue also exists with direct-sales and newsstand covers. The Library has images of both. Here is the newsstand cover (note format of the barcode):

I just checked my copy (purchased new on publication in a direct-sales shop). It is the erroneous, "recalled" edition.

We all know that newsstand covers typically go on sale after direct-sales covers. So, I'm wondering. Was the corrected edition limited to newsstand copies? Or were corrected direct-sales copies also printed?

Conversely, I'm wondering whether any erroneous, pre-recall newsstand copies made it to market.

Theoretically, there could exist up to four variations: (1) direct-sales cover with errors (recalled), (2) direct-sales cover with corrections, (3) newsstand cover with errors (recalled), (4) newsstand cover with corrections.

I'm interested in finding out how many variations actually exist. Does anyone know? What variations are in your collections? Or your sale stock?
Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 11:28:46 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Good questions, for sure! Unfortunately, I am not helpful in this, since I've never owned any of these....
Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 11:39:09 AM

Shop at My Store

After thinking about this, I would say all newsstand copies are the corrected version. In another thread, I talked about Deathlok #18, where all Directs were printed with the wrong cover price, and all newsstand editions were printed with the corrected price. Since MAD #1 is considered scarce because of a recall, I think it's safe to say they were recalled mid-way through the production of the direct editions, which means all newsstand copies would be the corrected version.

My theory.
outcast
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:47:24 PM

@ Thundercron:

I'm thinking there's a good chance you are correct about all newsstand copies being corrected. As we all know, newsstand copies take longer to get to market, which means there would have been more time to intercept the recalled copies once the problem had been discovered.

I'm guessing, though, that there are corrected copies with direct-sales covers. If so, they oughtn't to be that hard to find. But I still haven't confirmed existence of this version.

Right now, I know that the direct-sales recalled version exists (I have it).

And I have convincing evidence that a newsstand version exists (the cover scan in the Library, corroborated by the off-sale color stripe on the top edge of my copy), but it's unknown whether this exists in recalled version only, corrected version only, or both.

I would still like to hear from anyone who can confirm existence of any version not yet confirmed.
SwiftMann
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 3:20:32 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

You're trying to make a mystery out of nothing.

The recall happened to the direct market. CCL just happens to have a newsstand image in for the corrected. That doesn't mean anything since CCL doesn't list both direct and newsstand when all but the UPC is the same.

There's a recalled direct edition and the corrected edition (which hit both the direct and newsstand market).

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 3:31:13 PM

Shop at My Store

Yeah, I'm thinking there's only three versions: Direct Original (error), Direct Corrected Version, and newsstand (corrected version only).
outcast
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 3:49:37 PM

SwiftMann wrote:
You're trying to make a mystery out of nothing.

The recall happened to the direct market. CCL just happens to have a newsstand image in for the corrected. That doesn't mean anything since CCL doesn't list both direct and newsstand when all but the UPC is the same.

There's a recalled direct edition and the corrected edition (which hit both the direct and newsstand market).

The only conclusion I drew based on the newsstand image is that there is a newsstand edition (which I suspected, based on the color stripe, but it was nice to see confirmed). I drew NO conclusions based on its Library placement as the "corrected" edition. If anybody is making something of nothing here, it isn't me.

Your conclusions don't appear to be based on sightings of the comics in question. Are they anything but your opinion?
SwiftMann
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 4:13:15 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

My conclusion is not based on having a corrected direct in hand. It is based on being the one to research and add the Recalled tags as well as having a realistic understanding of how the market works.

If you're desperate to have confirmation of some with it in hand, PM one of the two stores selling the issue.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
outcast
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:44:14 PM

I have found evidence that provides a partial answer to my earlier question.

Currently on eBay (item 110929562215), there is an offer to sell both the recalled and the corrected versions, and the auction has photos!

These photos are subject to disappearance, of course, but I'll put them up here anyway.

Here are the two comics. As you can see, both have direct sales covers.

Here is a shot of the staff box of both comics, side by side in the same photo (note the addition of Gaines at the the top of the box, AND of Kurtzman between Paul Levitz and Dale Crain):

Here is a single-copy shot of one comic:

And here is a single-copy shot of the other:

I find it interesting that both comics have identical barcode numbers. I was thinking the corrected edition might have signified a second printing by setting the last digit to "2". Apparently the only way to determine which version one is viewing is by inspection of the inside covers.

Based on these images (mostly on the second image), it seems safe to say that both the erroneous version and the corrected version exist with direct-sales covers.
Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:29:10 PM

Shop at My Store

I'm confused as to what that ebay auction proves. The link in your OP already proved that the direct editions were recalled and replaced with corrected direct editions.
outcast
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:14:00 PM

"Replaced with corrected direct editions" is the part I wasn't clear on.

I wrote:
We all know that newsstand covers typically go on sale after direct-sales covers. So, I'm wondering. Was the corrected edition limited to newsstand copies? Or were corrected direct-sales copies also printed?

I am clear on that now though, and pleased to have persuasive photographic evidence. (But I am still wondering whether any erroneous newsstand copies escaped the recall. I may never know.)
outcast
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 7:14:08 PM

I found an article at icv2.com that sheds some light on DC's distribution methods (as of 2001, a year and some months after Millennium Edition: MAD #1 was published). It pins down some facts that surprise me:

* In 2001, Diamond was picking up DC comics every Friday. Those issues were being delivered to retailers on a Wednesday, twelve (12) days later!

* Also in 2001, comics meant for the newsstand market were being held by DC for a week and a half. Newsstand distributors were allowed to pick up comics each Tuesday, eleven days after Diamond picked up direct-sales copies, and one day before those issues went on sale at direct-sales retailers.

Under these circumstances, it seems likely that the errors in Millennium Edition: MAD #1 could have been discovered before any newsstand copies had entered distribution, and that all newsstand copies may have been pulped.

Except for the possibility of a de minimis quantity of "souvenir" copies claimed by DC employees (or even, perhaps, the printer's employees), I think it's extremely unlikely that any erroneous newsstand versions of this issue could have survived.

By the way, it turns out that icv2.com is a wonderful resource for information about newsstand distribution vs. direct distribution. A search on "newsstand" returns summaries of and links to 178 news articles on the topic from early 2001 to the present. One example: This article reveals the existence of a newsstand-only Marvel title of which I was previously unaware (unless I missed it in a search, it appears that the CCL Library is similarly unaware of it).
icarus201
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 6:07:02 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, UK Host

You missed it in a search.
http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveData/Issue.aspx?id=60c98865-e5cf-40c3-9301-d01786dc30b4

Marvel Universe® ~ No-one Ever Really Dies.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here