Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Observations while reading Infinity #1 Options
SlappyBlades
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 1:47:09 PM

Groups: Member

Am I the only person who noticed the Avengers getting a little heavy handed in this sequence of panels?

“Your call. How do you want to do this?” As in, you can either stand up and fight… or we’ll beat you where you sit.

“The targets have engaged the Avengers.” Yes, that is how we’ll remember it. The “targets” engaged the Avengers, not the other way around.

‘Minutes Later.’ Are we really being led to believe Cap & Hawk spent several minutes working these Skrulls over?

“One moment, Agent Brand.” I’m not done punching the teeth into the back of this Skrulls throat.

“Okay. That’s the last of them.” We took down all five of those pizza-eating Skrulls! We made sure not one (of five) Skrull was left standing! And we didn’t let them finish their pizza!

“Doesn’t make any sense. Not a single warrior caste member among them.” Not that that will deter us from beating the crap out of these Skrulls. We’ll show these civilian Skrulls to mess with Avengers!

Is it me or is this entire sequence of panels morally and ethically wrong? It doesn’t show the Avengers in a good light at all. I wouldn’t call this heroic. This is basically a gratuitous display of power on the part of the Avengers.

They had Thor & Hyperion waiting in the wings “in case of trouble.” Are we sure those two weren’t waiting in the event these five Skrulls didn’t offer to share their pizza. Thankfully the five Skrulls offered pizza, otherwise I’m sure Thor & Hyperion would have been called in to really lay into the geeky Skrulls.

I think this says a lot about the perception of enemies and authority in America, and not in a good way.

All Skrulls are guilty by association. I’m sure these Skrulls are personal friends of Super Skrull. One evil Skrull means all Skrulls must be evil.

This demonstrates a gratuitous use of unnecessary force on civilians. Figures in a position of authority begin inflicting physical harm on passive and unresisting civilians. Without provocation the Avengers acted aggressively and violently.

Maybe I’m just old school about my heroes. I don’t enjoy my heroes engaging in this type of behavior. These Skrulls weren’t villains. They weren’t causing trouble, yet the Avengers felt it necessary to punch them unconscious anyway.

I expect the Avengers to be role models for moral behavior in authority, not perpetuate the acceptance of immoral behavior. I know the author doesn’t see anything wrong with the actions for the Avengers because they’re not brought into question.

I will simply say this. These aren’t heroes.
Reggie
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 2:06:55 PM

These skrulls were left over from the "Secret Invasion" story line. After what the skrulls did they are not taking any chances with the ones that ran and have been hiding out since. So yes, these are bad skrulls.

SpidermanGeek
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 3:15:44 PM

Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator

And i think the fact that, according to Brand, this was the seventh incident in two weeks, the Avengers are probably a little tired of having to deal with pesky skrulls which in my opinion speaks to why the Avengers are being a little curt with them.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.
SwiftMann
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 3:19:59 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

SlappyBlades wrote:
“Your call. How do you want to do this?” As in, you can either stand up and fight… or we’ll beat you where you sit.

Or... As in, you can either come peacefully or put up a fight.

That'd be my interpretation of it. And as such, the "targets" did engage "the Avengers, not the other way around" since they put up a fight instead of coming peacefully.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
rook68
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 4:41:37 PM

Hmmm..the skrulls looked pathetic. Surprised they put up a fight instead of going peacefully. I am thinking they were trying to run away. Still didn't deserve to get beat down. It was either a mess up in communication between artist and writer because it looked like a beat down for sure; or they missed a panel or two in the comic book. If the Avengers did just beat them up because they are skrulls. This could be case of racial profiling. Hmm....

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

Shizz
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 10:25:09 PM

Did they act like boy scout heroes? No.

Were the Skulls hiding from the law? Yes

They were war criminals, if they wanted to play nice they would have turned themselves in and sought amnesty.

What of someone who was involved in 9/11 was sitting next door to you having pizza and something similar happened? Would you feel the same way?

I think you're reading too much into this. Besides, if you want a boy scout go read Superman.
Reggie
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 11:05:25 PM

Shizz wrote:

They were war criminals, if they wanted to play nice they would have turned themselves in and sought amnesty.

What of someone who was involved in 9/11 was sitting next door to you having pizza and something similar happened? Would you feel the same way?

I think you're reading too much into this. Besides, if you want a boy scout go read Superman.

Applause

rook68
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 11:41:17 PM

Shizz wrote:

As far as the "racial profiling" statement. I was a joking. Bad one but a joke. I just think there was something missing from the panels showed. Being skrulls unfortunately makes them war criminals. I get the use of force because you are not sure what these skrulls were capable of. Especially if these alien types resisted. Did they pull out ray guns? Did they throw a pizza slice at Cap's shield? Oh hell no! Did the skrulls say "Kiss my green arse". We don't know the whole story though. They don't show it. Personally I didn't read this particular issue. Definitely got my curiosity peeked to going out and buying it. But back to what I was saying. Even Hawkeye was perplexed that there wasn't any warrior skrulls. Cap doesn't just beat someone's arse just because. Hawkeye on the other hand....probably would shoot you in the eye if you coughed. And I love me some Superman. Up, up and away!

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

SlappyBlades
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 8:08:48 PM

Reggie wrote:
Shizz wrote:

Applause

Captain America isn't supposed to be a boy scout?

I didn't read the secret invasion story so that makes things unclear.

I thought that aliens were seeking asylum from what is happening in this story line now.

I can at least agree the panels don't depict the situation well enough. I mean the one Skrull is totally chubby. I can't imagine these Skrulls would have chosen to fight.

Initially I simply thought my observations were funny because these were not prime Skrull specimens. I did notice that strong force was used against weak targets. Not exactly a threat to Captain America.

How would non-warrior class Skrulls be war criminals? They didn't look like scientists either. Just a question.

If they were truly war criminals the writer could have mentioned that. The context skews the perspective as we don't all read every Marvel comic.

Without the benefit of knowing previous story lines it looks like Cap & Hawk are beating on weak Skrulls. I thought it was funny. I also thought it translated to social issues that happen today.
SlappyBlades
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 8:21:48 PM

SwiftMann wrote:
SlappyBlades wrote:

Or... As in, you can either come peacefully or put up a fight.

That'd be my interpretation of it. And as such, the "targets" did engage "the Avengers, not the other way around" since they put up a fight instead of coming peacefully.

It could have been written more clear if that was what Cap was implying. I see weak Skrulls threatened with violence. Not being asked to cooperate.

We don't see a panel showing the Skrulls attack. We have to assume that is true. Again, I see weak Skrulls beng throttled.

Maybe they tried to run as someone else on this thread suggested. That still doesn't require the use of excessive force.

This is just what I saw in the panels. Maybe should have refrained from connecting to social issues and stayed with the funny. 'Cause to me it was funny.

Besides these pages I've only started reading Infinity. I've been holding the issues until I had them all. I don't know how readers responded to the story in general.

I'm following through the New Avengers title as well, but not the Avengers title.
Shizz
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 8:43:19 PM

SlappyBlades wrote:
Reggie wrote:
Shizz wrote:

Applause

Captain America isn't supposed to be a boy scout?

I didn't read the secret invasion story so that makes things unclear.

That's probably most of the problem. Marvel does expect us to read everything that they write...... except what they say is not cannon, I.e. WWH. Wall

As far as Cap being a boy scout. I seem to remember a Civil War:Punisher issue showing Cap beat the $#*% out of a pre-Pun Fank Castle in basic who refused to fight back. I believe Cap does what it takes to get the job done.