Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Superior Spider-man Ending - Spoiler Options
LordMikel
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 11:06:18 PM
Groups: Member

I read this article.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52148

Is this really how they brought back Peter Parker?

Defeating the Superior Spider-Man

Marking one of the most polarizing Spider-Man stories of all time, writer Dan Slott dared to remove Peter Parker from the pages of "Spider-Man" and replace him with the villainous Doctor Octopus. Ock, his consciousness now in Peter's body, swears to become a better hero, with Peter unwillingly along for the ride locked in the not so good doctor's subconscious. It was gripping, controversial, funny and innovative, and when it recently came to an end, it was one of Peter's greatest moments. Trapped in Ock's brain with only a few memories left to sustain him, Peter could only stand by and watch while in the real world Ock was busy battling, and losing to, the Green Goblin and his Goblin Nation army. The Goblin kidnapped Ock's new love, diminutive scientist Anna Maria Marconi. Ock knew the Superior Spider-Man didn't possess what was needed to defeat the Goblin and handed the reins back to Peter. Unfortunately, as a ghost in Otto's mind, Peter had lost all of his memories. In one great meta moment, all of Peter's heroic memories came flooding back in, reminding both Peter and his faithful readers of Peter's triumphs, tragedies and history as Spider-Man. In a singular moment of rebirth, Slott defined what makes Spider-Man so spectacular, and it's not death or tragedy or regret -- it's fun. Through Peter retaking the mantle of Spider-Man, fans are reminded that through it all, there is not a more fun fictional character than our hero, the once again Amazing Spider-Man.

This is pure (banned) for a story and seems very rushed, leading to the theory Slott didn't want to do this. I was never a fan of the storyline and this was a dud of an ending.

Other people's thoughts?
Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 11:23:06 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

If the Amazing Spider-Man movie wasn't coming out next month, we wouldn't be seeing Peter brought back at this time.
SpidermanGeek
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 6:05:33 AM

Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator

I didn't think it felt that rushed. I'm not fond of the fact that it was timed with the release of the movie, but honestly.. Otto's been running around in Peter's skin for over a year now.

I thought that the moment where Otto admits his failure was pretty gripping.

The way I see it, is Slott succeeded in this storyline because he left me caring about the Doctor Octopus character and I just hope that we haven't seen the last of him.

Superior Spider-Man #30 is one of my favorite Spidey issues to come along in a long time and the entire run of Superior Spider-Man has been absolutely stellar.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.

I haz a Blog
Shizz
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 11:32:35 AM

I'm not a Spidey reader, but based on what you described, it sounds pretty good.

The fact that Ock humbly recognizes his limitations and concedes that his mortal rival is greater than he for the simple reason of put the love of someone above himself, makes for a great end. I hope that if I must end it would be as chivalrous as this.

...or maybe I'm reading to much into it. Big Grin

What kind of ending did you want? An astral plain steel cage match with the cage being Pete's brain? I'm sure that hasn't already been done, to death.
LordMikel
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 8:23:02 AM

My initial fear was Green Goblin was Peter Parker. (Who was the Green Goblin anyway?)

Thanks Spidermangeek for your insight. Since you've been reading it all and enjoyed it, perhaps this was the appropriate ending to the series.

But my real reason for not liking it, at the end of the day, Peter Parker never beat Doc Ock, Ock conceded to him.
SpidermanGeek
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 10:56:52 AM

Green Goblin Identity:
The Green Goblin is Norman Osborn, but he's had facial reconstruction surgery

If you read the entire Superior run, you will find yourself sympathizing with Otto as Spider-Man and that relationship you build with the charactet as a reader is what actually makes the ending to the series work.

I can see that for anybody just walking in on the finale, it could seem disappointing that there's no big "showdown" between Pete and Otto, though.

I haz a Blog
RubberMalletComics
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:07:55 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I personally liked the ending because it required Otto to realize that he really NEVER was better than Parker, but only Otto could restore Parker to his former self because what had been Parker had been whittled down to almost nothing at that point.

So the fight was between Otto's ego and his newfound sense of responsibility.

Will we see Otto again? Well, there's still a octobot with all of Otto's pre-Superior Spider-Man memories roaming around.

Rubber Mallet Comics
822 Wyoming Avenue
West Pittston, PA 18643
fenix1977
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 11:34:45 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I can't add anything new to the conversation only rehash what others have said. In the end Otto is undone by Otto. He comes to grips with the reason he always lost to Peter is because Peter put others before his ego.

Mad Bloggings

SpidermanGeek
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:48:47 AM

Just a note, I edited the thread title. The fact that it used to be "Spectacular Spider-man Ending - Spoiler" was bothering me, lol.

I haz a Blog
LordMikel
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 10:47:43 PM

SpidermanGeek wrote:
Just a note, I edited the thread title. The fact that it used to be "Spectacular Spider-man Ending - Spoiler" was bothering me, lol.

That's fine, I'm glad you did, cause I felt stupid for typing it wrong to begin with. and thank you to everyone for not pointing out that mistake.
Caster
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 12:50:21 PM

Like a lot of the people who read it, I was disappointed by the way they decided to go about it. I think everyone wants Peter Parker back (at least most people would right?) but the way that they went about it in this particular series just throws me for a loop, I cannot get behind it.

The complete Marvel reading order - http://cmro.travis-starnes.com
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 8:08:42 PM

So I finished the run today and I gotta say it was pretty good. I came away from it a lot happier then I did going in. I haven't read the amazing spidey 1-3 yet but I'm looking forward to how Pete deals with everything ock messed up.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

Tamwood
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 12:34:20 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

And, of course, the series isn't ending. They've solicited the next issue of Superior Spider-Man.
SpidermanGeek
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 6:05:00 AM

Tamwood wrote:
And, of course, the series isn't ending. They've solicited the next issue of Superior Spider-Man.

Yeah, but that's only going to be 2 extra issues that leads/ties into Spider-Verse.

I haz a Blog
Tamwood
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 8:47:08 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Is it? I didn't read the solicit. Just saw they solicited the book again.
SpidermanGeek
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 8:54:36 PM

http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/5/13/22508/travel_to_spider-verse_with_the_return_of_superior_spider-man

Quote:
With two epic chapters drawn by Camuncoli and Kubert respectively, SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #32-33 proves there’s no half-life for superiority, and that the legacy of Otto Octavius lives on somewhere, sometime.

Begin the epic swing to Spider-Verse this August with SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #32

I haz a Blog