Buying Comics And Stuff
Selling Your Comics
Opening A Store
Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Poll Question: What's the worst that can befall a Comic Book?
Choice Votes Statistics
Rip/Tear 0 0%
Water 6 30%
Sunlight 0 0%
Defacing 2 10%
Bends/Creases 3 15%
Cutting 4 20%
Missing Pages 5 25%
Anything else? 0 0%

What Comic Damage Makes You Cry the Most? Options
MoonKnight1
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 11:33:15 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

As we all know, comic books are not always in perfect condition. They are made from fragile paper and are easily prone to damage.

Which of these cause you the most grief?

Rip/Tear
Sometimes not so bad but I have seen comics torn nearly in half. Unfortunate side affect is usually tape repair. That's adding insult to injury. Angry

Water
A drop or two isn't awful and sometimes hard to spot even. Severe water damage is nasty and oftentimes causes the book to be completely unreadable.Rain

Sunlight
I found a book one time that had another book on top of it and the part that was exposed to the sun was completely black. Kinda weird looking and it was only the cover but I was none too pleased. Sad

Defacing
When I was working for Brett he acquired a large Silver Age collection that had been previously owned by Suzette. You know how we know her name? She wrote it on the covers about 10-15 times and throughout the interior. Suzette!!!! Loser

Bends/Creases
Apparently, at one point it was acceptable practice to fold comics in half for shipping or sticking in your back pocket. At Wits' End

Cutting
What's worse than flipping through a beautiful copy of an old book only to discover that some nimrod has cut out a panel, or a subscription ad, or a Marvel Value Stamp, etc. I was looking through a stack of old Flash comics that were in nice shape except that the Flash had been snipped out from all of the covers. Wall

Missing Pages
This is another insidious problem that is easy to miss. I once sent a comic to someone that was missing the c-fold completely. When I looked through it initially I didn't notice that the story went from pg 5 to pg 10. Man did I feel like an idiot. Confused

I think I covered it all but let me know if I missed something.

And take care of your comics!Laughing

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 11:50:49 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I chose bends/creases. Specifically, to the spine. I'm talking about going into a comic store and seeing lots of great books for cheap that WOULD be in nice shape, except the back issue bins are neglected. Many aren't full, so the comics just fall and flop around in the boxes, causing massive spine dings and creases. Another shop making it easy for me not to spend my money.
Spider-Man
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 12:33:34 PM

Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber

I chose Cutting because it is a deliberate act of vandalism. A lot of the other defects can happen from neglect or by accident, but to take a scissors or knife and remove a part of a page that usually has artwork on the back....criminal.

Signature design by CCL's own DrFate

SpiderFan.org

Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 1:12:13 PM

Shop at My Store

Spider-Man wrote:
I chose Cutting because it is a deliberate act of vandalism. A lot of the other defects can happen from neglect or by accident, but to take a scissors or knife and remove a part of a page that usually has artwork on the back....criminal.

Hey, you do what you gotta do if you want to order the Spectra X-Ray Glasses.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 1:41:36 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

or a whoopie cushion...Rolling on the Floor

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

SwiftMann
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 1:59:16 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Water damage. Kills the whole book and is a constant reminder that the book is FUBAR. A tear, crease or anything else is usually contained.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
DivideAndConquer
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 2:32:48 PM

Shop at My Store

Tape. Can't stand it. I can deal with everything else. For some reason tape just bugs me and I won't buy the comic. Even if it is one little piece of tape, I can't stand the yellow tint and way that it looks. I don't know if I should put this vote under rip/tear because I can deal with a rip or tear. The tape is just the end all of even thinking about buying a comic.

Free Media Mail Shipping @ $35

$0.35 AND $0.50 BARGAIN BIN

Customized International Shipping Options!

All comics 1.01 and up come Bagged and Boarded at no additional cost. All other comics are bagged at no additional cost!

Like us on Facebook!
Facebook

Follow us on Twitter for Hot Invest Comics News and Promotion Sales!
Twitter

www.dandccomics.com
COMING SOON!!!
Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 3:29:05 PM

Shop at My Store

Second on my list is cat urine stench.

No, I'm not making this up. Came across this before when buying comics from a large collection at a garage sale. Had to chuck about six otherwise high-grade bronze age Marvels because of it. Thing is, you don't notice a problem until you open the bag.....Sick
ukblueky
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 3:30:38 PM

Groups: Member

I went with water. Water damage not only gives the book a very ugly appearance but also an ugly texture. Plus water damage is completely avoidable. Just keep your sausage fingers big gulp slurpee away from your comics. Or don't take your comics out in a rain storm. Simple.

fenix1977
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 7:56:55 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I can honestly say I have only had a problem with bends/creases. Makes me insane to get books in the mail that are bent or dinged up.

Mad Bloggings

evilskip42
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 1:59:09 PM

A buddy of mine once stumbled across a lady selling her late son's high grade silver age collection. He noticed that something wasn't right but he couldn't put his finger on it. The lady informed him proudly that she had bought all new modern age bags for the books and trimmed the books to fit in the bags. Crying

Recently bought a cheap run of vg 1973 Frankenstein books. Missed that the Marvel Value stamps were cut out of 9-13 and a few pages were missing. So I have to go with cutting.

As a digression back in the late 90's my trade buddies and I kept swapping books from the Bradley ------ Collection as he wrote his name on all of them. We'd even list them as being from his collection. And we all decided that if we ever met Bradley we would beat his ass for messing up decent books.Winking
rook68
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 11:18:21 PM

I chose bending and creasing. I was getting a bad streak of comics in the mail. A lot of them being manhandled by the post office. The main damage to my books were bending and/or creasing at a corner. Knocking a near mint grade to a fine minus. The thought just makes me shudder.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

andyborehol
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 6:57:40 PM

I went with cutting, although I could have gone with missing or detached pages for the same reason: I hate damage that isn't instantly apparent. Nothing is worse than buying an amazing-looking book and then opening it to find something is missing, especially if the person you bought it from didn't tell you.

To that same point, I've also found several books lately that were handled by moronic vendors who at some point who damaged their own books by putting a sticker on a bagged/boarded comic and then writing a price on it in ballpoint pen, so it makes an imprint in the cover. Hard to notice until you take it out of the bag and look at it in the light, but it absolutely infuriates me.

Check out my store, Divide & Conquer Comics!!!