Log In Forums Help
Comic Collector Live
Home :: CCL Messageboard
Find Comics for Sale
Items For Sale
All Comics For Sale
New Releases
CGC Comics
Bundled Lots
Store Locator
Search Library
Search By Title
Publisher
Story Arc
Character
Credits
Release Date
Change Request Manager
News & Reviews
Reviews
News
Our Products and Services
Get the Software
Buying Comics And Stuff
Selling Your Comics
Opening A Store
Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Comic Books & Kids? What happened? Options
therealkorey
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:34:47 AM
Rank: Newbie
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/29/2014
Posts: 6
Points: 18
Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 11:10:45 AM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 9/14/2008
Posts: 2,401
Points: 31,293
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Man, this article hit the nail right on the head. He addressed one of the biggest problems (I feel) of our society, which is a lack of quality role models for our young people.

Young people have always looked up to sports stars and musicians. It was true when I was a kid, and it's true today. I live across the river from Portland, Oregon. Home of the Trail Blazers. Never a great team, really. But back in the early nineties they were doing pretty good, so I still remember some of the names--Jerome Kersey, Clyde Drexler, Terry Porter. And there were others in the NBA, too--Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Larry Byrd. And these were all stand up dudes. Always presented a good image, Even when Magic Johnson got HIV because of his promiscuous lifestyle, he held a press conference. He told the kids "don't do what I did". He owned it, and told his fans to make better choices. I still remember kids at school talking about that the next day.

Who do kids today got to look up to? A bunch of thugs and criminals, if you ask me. They defy authority, disrespect everybody and flaunt it. Murder charges, drug charges, domestic assaults--the list goes on with todays sports stars.

How about the music stars? Not much better. Seems every time a young person makes it big, they usually turn into a giant ass. Miley Cyrus? Justin Bieber? It's a good thing MTV doesn't show music videos anymore--less chance my kids will become interested in these wastes of talent.

Honestly, if you want to know why people act the way they do, just look at their idols.
therealkorey
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 11:54:27 AM
Rank: Newbie
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/29/2014
Posts: 6
Points: 18
You hit it right on the money, I couldn't have said it better myself my friend.
kidlippy
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:40:10 PM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 5/12/2007
Posts: 3,310
Points: 44,164
Location: Peg City
Totally agree. I also think reality shows like that Teen Moms and Kardashian could also be pointed at as poor choice of role models. When I was a teenager, you would never hear a girl be proud she's pregnant. It goes so much further then just athletes and "rock" stars.

http://www.myspace.com/kidlippy


BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 1:14:22 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Joined: 1/5/2007
Posts: 12,389
Points: 59,845
Location: Redding, CA
I'll have to read the full article when I get home from work. But my initial reaction to the question is because kids have other stuff to spend their money on. They have video games, IPads, smart-phones, and trendy clothes they keep up on. That's where most of their disposable income goes. And considering most kids don't get a lot of money, if they get any; then $3.99 a pop (at the cheapest, I've noticed a lot of regular issues going up to $4.99 even, recently) is a bit too pricey for them.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Tamwood
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 7:24:49 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Joined: 11/13/2009
Posts: 1,626
Points: 147,863
Location: Indiana
Really?? Those Portland teams were KNOWN for being criminals. If I recall, they were nicknamed the Jail-Blazers. And Jordan, while an exceptional basketball player, was also a complete and total ass.

While I agree that today's NBA stars aren't very good role models, there are some good role models still out there in the sports world. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are two pretty decent role models from the NFL. And baseball's filled with good role models.

I think it's a shame that women's sports aren't more popular. There are a TON of great role models in women's sports, but they don't get nearly as much press, because people think of their sports as being inferior.

And as for what happened to comic books and kids? Frank Miller.
freakdylan
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 8:31:04 PM

Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 6/4/2012
Posts: 862
Points: 6,070
BurningDoom wrote:
I'll have to read the full article when I get home from work. But my initial reaction to the question is because kids have other stuff to spend their money on. They have video games, IPads, smart-phones, and trendy clothes they keep up on. That's where most of their disposable income goes. And considering most kids don't get a lot of money, if they get any; then $3.99 a pop (at the cheapest, I've noticed a lot of regular issues going up to $4.99 even, recently) is a bit too pricey for them.


This is one of the reasons I am so happy amazon bought Comixology. I read a ton of comics on my kindle using the wonderful free prime books.


Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar


Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics



Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 9:39:09 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 9/14/2008
Posts: 2,401
Points: 31,293
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Tamwood wrote:
Really?? Those Portland teams were KNOWN for being criminals. If I recall, they were nicknamed the Jail-Blazers. And Jordan, while an exceptional basketball player, was also a complete and total ass.

While I agree that today's NBA stars aren't very good role models, there are some good role models still out there in the sports world. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are two pretty decent role models from the NFL. And baseball's filled with good role models.

I think it's a shame that women's sports aren't more popular. There are a TON of great role models in women's sports, but they don't get nearly as much press, because people think of their sports as being inferior.

And as for what happened to comic books and kids? Frank Miller.


Get your time periods straight. The Jail Blazers have been known as such for the last ten to fifteen years. I'm talking late eighties to early nineties Blazers. They were a class act back then.
rook68
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:28:27 PM

Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/27/2009
Posts: 517
Points: 1,551
Location: San Diego, CA
I have good and bad feelings about this article. Personally growing up an ackward shy kid. Comic books were a escape from all the bad stuff in my life. Comic books entertained me by giving me great stories of bigger than life heroes, helped me with vocabulary and kept me from getting into trouble by keeping me in the house. I am truly a fan of the medium. But comic books like all media isn't all good. Just like movies. Some movies are just trash. Comic books are no exception. Some books are horrible for kid's, young adults and as a matter of fact... adults too. The article paints the hobby to be free of faults. Comic book readers everywhere have gone into a comic book store. Seen a comic book and said to themselves. What is this crap? Don't get me wrong. There is a lot of good things in the hobby. The article listed some and I listed some. I am also an example of a guy who turned out okay reading comic books. But like other media. A person must be on their toes when it comes to content. Not all comics are created equal. As far as role models, comic heroes are fictional characters. Kid's need to look up to policeman, firefighters and men and women who serve our country in the arm forces instead. Real people who put it all on the line everyday. Those are role models.


(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson


therealkorey
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 10:25:40 AM
Rank: Newbie
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/29/2014
Posts: 6
Points: 18
I agree it is bad how our society shows teenage mothers being pregnant like it is nothing. That is why you can not even go around the corner without seeing a girl under the age of 20 pregnant. I know a 19 year old girl with 3 kids and she is giving advice on how to be a mother to 15 year olds on facebook.
rook68
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 11:35:54 AM

Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/27/2009
Posts: 517
Points: 1,551
Location: San Diego, CA
therealkorey wrote:
I agree it is bad how our society shows teenage mothers being pregnant like it is nothing. That is why you can not even go around the corner without seeing a girl under the age of 20 pregnant. I know a 19 year old girl with 3 kids and she is giving advice on how to be a mother to 15 year olds on facebook.

Totally agree. Shows like 16 And Pregnant are just plain sad. Kids having kids.


(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson


ukblueky
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 4:29:58 PM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/7/2007
Posts: 4,193
Points: 12,579
Location: Kentucky
Role models should come from within the home and family first and foremost. Its nice for a kid to look up to someone who is in the protect and serve field or a sports star but the main role model for a child should be the parent/parents or guardian. Now I know sometimes this cannot be done for various amounts of reasons. The fall of the family plays a huge role on society. How can a child who has never seen or been shown respect or love in the home ever be expected to show it to strangers or to themselves. A boy should be taught how to be a man by his father or the next closest male family member. He should be taught how to respect women by example by how his father respects his mother. He should be taught love by example of how his father loves his mother. He should be taught loyalty,trust,honesty,life skills,work skills all from within the home. A mother should teach these things to her daughter. A girl also learns her self esteem and self worth from how she is treated by her father. A child also needs to learn there are people outside of the family this way they can be more social. The parents should also teach the child it isn't the center of the universe and the world will not stop or change for it. The father's role in the home is absolutely crucial to a child. Not knocking the moms out there. Everyone knows a mothers love is eternal but children raised in fatherless homes are more likely to end up in jail, poverty rates are higher just to name a couple of things. Also a mom or dad should want to be their kids role model. They should want their kid to look up to them and not someone on tv who may not have the same morals you want instilled in your kid. A hero is a different thing than a role model in my opinion. A hero can be a made up character like Batman or Superman. Lives are modeled after role models not heroes. Heroes inspire, role models teach.

Tamwood
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:20:50 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Joined: 11/13/2009
Posts: 1,626
Points: 147,863
Location: Indiana
therealkorey wrote:
I agree it is bad how our society shows teenage mothers being pregnant like it is nothing. That is why you can not even go around the corner without seeing a girl under the age of 20 pregnant. I know a 19 year old girl with 3 kids and she is giving advice on how to be a mother to 15 year olds on facebook.


You do realize it's only recently that teenagers having children has become unusual and taboo. A century ago, teenagers were having children all the time. What's shocking to you would be perfectly normal to some of your ancestors.
Thundercron
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 9:14:11 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 9/14/2008
Posts: 2,401
Points: 31,293
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Tamwood wrote:
therealkorey wrote:
I agree it is bad how our society shows teenage mothers being pregnant like it is nothing. That is why you can not even go around the corner without seeing a girl under the age of 20 pregnant. I know a 19 year old girl with 3 kids and she is giving advice on how to be a mother to 15 year olds on facebook.


You do realize it's only recently that teenagers having children has become unusual and taboo. A century ago, teenagers were having children all the time. What's shocking to you would be perfectly normal to some of your ancestors.


So what's your point, Tam? That we shouldn't be shocked or shake our heads when we see teenagers getting pregnant?

Really, I can't figure out what your point is related to the conversation.
ukblueky
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 8:58:22 AM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/7/2007
Posts: 4,193
Points: 12,579
Location: Kentucky
Thundercron wrote:
Tamwood wrote:
therealkorey wrote:
I agree it is bad how our society shows teenage mothers being pregnant like it is nothing. That is why you can not even go around the corner without seeing a girl under the age of 20 pregnant. I know a 19 year old girl with 3 kids and she is giving advice on how to be a mother to 15 year olds on facebook.


You do realize it's only recently that teenagers having children has become unusual and taboo. A century ago, teenagers were having children all the time. What's shocking to you would be perfectly normal to some of your ancestors.


So what's your point, Tam? That we shouldn't be shocked or shake our heads when we see teenagers getting pregnant?

Really, I can't figure out what your point is related to the conversation.


Not trying to argue,so please don't take it that way but I get her point. In fact it was something I was going to comment on in my long winded response but I forgot to. Tam is right, teenage pregnancy is only a couple generations removed from being the social norm. Maybe its because I'm from KY, or because I'm a hillbilly, or because I'm the product of teenage pregnancy that I don't look down on it. I normally don't give it a second thought when I see it. I guess my point is why are you shocked to see a pregnant teenager? Its not like its anything new. There are millions of them right now world around. Some cultures even today its not looked down upon but the norm, just like it used to be in America. It would only be shocking if it just started happening in the last couple years. Maybe thats just my view point. Maybe I'm in the wrong for not seeing it as a social evil. Its definitely something that should be addressed to all teenagers how having a baby at a young age puts you at a disadvantage in life and can make an already tough life even harder. Maybe if parents were more realistic in their view of their kids and took steps to prevent teenage pregnancy it would cut down on it. Once our oldest daughter reached the age of 16 and got a steady boyfriend my wife talked to her often about prevention. She would tell her sex at her age was something we didn't condone but we weren't stupid either. She would talk to her like a rational human being. We were never under the impression that our child was perfect, above the peer pressure, or better than anyone elses child. Last thing, just remember this teenage pregnancy is not the smartest thing and teenagers are stupid. Anyone that has spent any amount of time around a teenager can easily see how ignorant of real life they actually are.

Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 10:09:01 AM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 9/14/2008
Posts: 2,401
Points: 31,293
Location: Vancouver, Washington
ukblueky wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
Tamwood wrote:
therealkorey wrote:
I agree it is bad how our society shows teenage mothers being pregnant like it is nothing. That is why you can not even go around the corner without seeing a girl under the age of 20 pregnant. I know a 19 year old girl with 3 kids and she is giving advice on how to be a mother to 15 year olds on facebook.


You do realize it's only recently that teenagers having children has become unusual and taboo. A century ago, teenagers were having children all the time. What's shocking to you would be perfectly normal to some of your ancestors.


So what's your point, Tam? That we shouldn't be shocked or shake our heads when we see teenagers getting pregnant?

Really, I can't figure out what your point is related to the conversation.


Not trying to argue,so please don't take it that way but I get her point. In fact it was something I was going to comment on in my long winded response but I forgot to. Tam is right, teenage pregnancy is only a couple generations removed from being the social norm. Maybe its because I'm from KY, or because I'm a hillbilly, or because I'm the product of teenage pregnancy that I don't look down on it. I normally don't give it a second thought when I see it. I guess my point is why are you shocked to see a pregnant teenager? Its not like its anything new. There are millions of them right now world around. Some cultures even today its not looked down upon but the norm, just like it used to be in America. It would only be shocking if it just started happening in the last couple years. Maybe thats just my view point. Maybe I'm in the wrong for not seeing it as a social evil. Its definitely something that should be addressed to all teenagers how having a baby at a young age puts you at a disadvantage in life and can make an already tough life even harder. Maybe if parents were more realistic in their view of their kids and took steps to prevent teenage pregnancy it would cut down on it. Once our oldest daughter reached the age of 16 and got a steady boyfriend my wife talked to her often about prevention. She would tell her sex at her age was something we didn't condone but we weren't stupid either. She would talk to her like a rational human being. We were never under the impression that our child was perfect, above the peer pressure, or better than anyone elses child. Last thing, just remember this teenage pregnancy is not the smartest thing and teenagers are stupid. Anyone that has spent any amount of time around a teenager can easily see how ignorant of real life they actually are.


My point in questioning the relevancy of Tam's observation is that there are lots of things that were okay not too long ago that are not considered good form today. We've progressed as a society, and most of those new views on things are for the better. It was only fifty to sixty years ago that some parts of the country had segregated schools, restrooms, etc. Would it be no big deal if we saw those things happening again today? It was only 125 to 150 years ago in the west that people were publicly hung in the town square, with townsfolk and families coming to watch like it's just another weekend outing. Our country criticizes other nations for allowing children to work for fourteen hours a day in sweatshops with little pay and under inhuman working conditions.....but it was only just over one hundred years ago in this country where the same thing was happening, and most people thought it was okay.

My point is, our viewpoints as a society change for the better. So I don't see the point in looking to how things were done in the past as an example of how things should be done today.
ukblueky
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 12:39:16 PM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/7/2007
Posts: 4,193
Points: 12,579
Location: Kentucky
Thundercron wrote:
ukblueky wrote:
Thundercron wrote:
Tamwood wrote:
therealkorey wrote:
I agree it is bad how our society shows teenage mothers being pregnant like it is nothing. That is why you can not even go around the corner without seeing a girl under the age of 20 pregnant. I know a 19 year old girl with 3 kids and she is giving advice on how to be a mother to 15 year olds on facebook.


You do realize it's only recently that teenagers having children has become unusual and taboo. A century ago, teenagers were having children all the time. What's shocking to you would be perfectly normal to some of your ancestors.


So what's your point, Tam? That we shouldn't be shocked or shake our heads when we see teenagers getting pregnant?

Really, I can't figure out what your point is related to the conversation.


Not trying to argue,so please don't take it that way but I get her point. In fact it was something I was going to comment on in my long winded response but I forgot to. Tam is right, teenage pregnancy is only a couple generations removed from being the social norm. Maybe its because I'm from KY, or because I'm a hillbilly, or because I'm the product of teenage pregnancy that I don't look down on it. I normally don't give it a second thought when I see it. I guess my point is why are you shocked to see a pregnant teenager? Its not like its anything new. There are millions of them right now world around. Some cultures even today its not looked down upon but the norm, just like it used to be in America. It would only be shocking if it just started happening in the last couple years. Maybe thats just my view point. Maybe I'm in the wrong for not seeing it as a social evil. Its definitely something that should be addressed to all teenagers how having a baby at a young age puts you at a disadvantage in life and can make an already tough life even harder. Maybe if parents were more realistic in their view of their kids and took steps to prevent teenage pregnancy it would cut down on it. Once our oldest daughter reached the age of 16 and got a steady boyfriend my wife talked to her often about prevention. She would tell her sex at her age was something we didn't condone but we weren't stupid either. She would talk to her like a rational human being. We were never under the impression that our child was perfect, above the peer pressure, or better than anyone elses child. Last thing, just remember this teenage pregnancy is not the smartest thing and teenagers are stupid. Anyone that has spent any amount of time around a teenager can easily see how ignorant of real life they actually are.


My point in questioning the relevancy of Tam's observation is that there are lots of things that were okay not too long ago that are not considered good form today. We've progressed as a society, and most of those new views on things are for the better. It was only fifty to sixty years ago that some parts of the country had segregated schools, restrooms, etc. Would it be no big deal if we saw those things happening again today? It was only 125 to 150 years ago in the west that people were publicly hung in the town square, with townsfolk and families coming to watch like it's just another weekend outing. Our country criticizes other nations for allowing children to work for fourteen hours a day in sweatshops with little pay and under inhuman working conditions.....but it was only just over one hundred years ago in this country where the same thing was happening, and most people thought it was okay.

My point is, our viewpoints as a society change for the better. So I don't see the point in looking to how things were done in the past as an example of how things should be done today.


Yeah but all those things you mentioned are social issues and yes on those issues society has tried to change for the better of all. The problem with lumping teenage pregnancy in with slavery, segregation, and public executions while trying to make a point about what was acceptable in society in the past and what is not acceptable today your over looking something. Slavery and segregation are race rights issues, public execution deals with a persons personal stance on capital punishment, while teenage pregnancy is the natural result of out of control hormones. None of these should ever be lumped together in a discussion. Sorry I just dont see teenage pregnancy as an ill or the doom of society. If people want to look at them and point and cast judgement they have that right, I guess. I dont know know the numbers on how many teenage moms rely solely on government social programs to raise their child but I do know all slaves are denied their freedom, all segregated people are denied the same freedom of the rest of the population, all people executed are dead.I guess what I mean is that besides the pregnant girl, the boy who impregnated her, and both sets of parents of the two teenagers it isn't anyone elses business really.No my daughters have never been pregnant so please dont think I'm fighting for their pride (even though I would). I just think there are so many other things wrong in the world that teenage pregnancy is so far down the list it doesnt register in my mind as a problem of society. I once read a quote from someone it said "you can tell a lot about a society by how it treats its animals." I may have paraphrased it but that was the meaning of it. This my friend, and yes I consider you a friend, rings so true in America today that it should make every American sad and or mad. I'm referring to the cruel and sadistic treatment of our animals for our food source. No I'm not a vegan or anything. I love to eat meat I just dont like the horrid practices our country has implemented in procuring this food. So I guess in my book two of our societies biggest ills are fatherless homes and the treatment of our food source.

Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

This page was generated in 0.308 seconds.

ADVERTISEMENT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
All images on comic collector live copyright of their respective publishers. © Copyright 2008, MidTen Media Inc. GOLO241