Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
New issue quick reviews Options
ukblueky
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 1:00:13 AM

Groups: Member

Just figured I'd start a thread reviewing some of my recent DC reading. If anyone else has any books they've read and want to share please feel free to chime in. Also I don't want to spoil any book in case someone hasn't read it so I will not be posting any spoilers. Just my opinions on whether I liked a book or how a series is going.

Sinestro #1
Only one issue in and so far so good. It was a good number one issue. Not sure when Sinestro self exiled himself but I didn't feel real lost. Artwork was nice, which is always a huge plus. I like how this issue has set up a story that I think will be a really interesting story for Sinestro. I was kinda skeptical going in on what a monthly book revolving around Sinestro would be about but for now I'm hooked.

Aquaman #29 and 30
Ehhh...this title is actually going down hill for me. Which sucks because for two years this was one of DCs best. Jeff Parkers writing is whats wrong with the book for me. I'll give it a few more issues to correct itself or for a new writer to come aboard, which is what I'm really wanting. The story in these two issues was bad enough it was hard to stay focused on. What makes matters worse is the story will continue into the annual. Which sucks for someone like me who likes to buy every issue of a title he collects.

Batman and Wonder Woman #30
This is the Batman and Robin title but DC has been shaking up the title with whatever character has been guest starring in it. The story line for this issue started last month and its the only reason I'm buying it. Its the lead in to the return of Robin. Not a huge fan of Damian Wayne so I'm actually confused as to why I'm buying a book I'm not even enjoying right now. the artwork is pretty bad. The story, while not horrid seems to be dragged down by some terrible dialogue and out of character moments.

Green Lantern #30
Great issue. The artwork is tremendous. The story, while some flaws, was a great read. My only complaint would be that I thought the story moved a little too quick in some spots, but I get that the page count is limited and the need to further the main story is the real goal. GL has been a solid read month after month for me. I was worried what would happen after Johns left but honestly the writing has been interesting enough I haven't even noticed he's not writing the book.

Batman Eternal #1-3
Wow sums up these three issues. First off I love the artwork. It reminds me of Finch's style, so thats a plus for me. Next is the writing. Great storyline with some great dialogue. These issues really drew me in and had my sole focus. I would crown this as the best monthly Batman book DC is doing currently. I'm also loving that its weekly even if my wallet isn't. I don't buy my comics weekly but all that means is I have multiple issues of this title waiting to be read. Any fan, big or casual, of Batman should really check out this title if they haven't already.

Flash #29 and 30.
Issue 29 wrapped up a storyline that wasn't the greatest. It was the last storyline before the new creative team came on with issue 30 and it read like it. Some interesting side stuff happened that did add some to the Barry Allen character but the over all story was kinda dull. Issue 30 sees the new team take over and it is a welcome change. I like Brett Booths art and the story is setting up the intro to the New 52 version of Wally West (no spoiler there it was in the solicts). After losing interest in this title during the last several issues this issue has got me excited for Flash again. Which is good cause I hate dropping titles because of losing interest.

BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 1:02:28 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

^ Sinestro exiled himself in the oh-so-awesome Green Lantern #25 (current series) after he killed the Guardian of the Universe due to their involvement with "War of the Green Lanterns" storyline where they basically unleashed their own version of The Flood (Halo) onto an unsuspecting universe.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
ukblueky
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 5:57:27 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
^ Sinestro exiled himself in the oh-so-awesome Green Lantern #25 (current series) after he killed the Guardian of the Universe due to their involvement with "War of the Green Lanterns" storyline where they basically unleashed their own version of The Flood (Halo) onto an unsuspecting universe.

Cool,Thanks Doom. Don't know why I didn't remember this since I have been reading Green Lantern for a few years now. Picked it up right before Rage Of Red Lanterns storyline started. Then went back and picked up the rest of the series back issues I missed. This is one of the those titles that when someone says they don't care for it I'm actually confused as to how they don't like it.

BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 7:41:55 PM

ukblueky wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

Cool,Thanks Doom. Don't know why I didn't remember this since I have been reading Green Lantern for a few years now. Picked it up right before Rage Of Red Lanterns storyline started. Then went back and picked up the rest of the series back issues I missed. This is one of the those titles that when someone says they don't care for it I'm actually confused as to how they don't like it.

No, #25 in the current New 52 series. The series with Rage of the Red Lanterns was pre-New 52.

ukblueky
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 7:20:52 AM

BurningDoom wrote:
ukblueky wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

No, #25 in the current New 52 series. The series with Rage of the Red Lanterns was pre-New 52.

My bad. I understood you were talking about New 52 but my Rage comment may have confused someone else who hasn't been keeping up with the title. Either way Thanks for clearing it up Doom. Are you reading any monthly titles from the New 52? If so any thoughts on them?

ukblueky
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 7:28:37 AM

Just read Detective Comics #30. I wasn't excited about this new creative team from all the previews I have been bombarded with at the end of DC's current issues. So I was already apprehensive going in to read it. I don't care for the artist. Didn't like him on the Flash title and its not any better on Batman. The writing was okay I guess. Mediocre story that didn't fully draw me in. If someone wasn't already reading Detective I don't see this new creative team luring any new readers to the title. Of course its only one issue in so maybe it'll get better.

BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 12:20:08 PM

ukblueky wrote:

My bad. I understood you were talking about New 52 but my Rage comment may have confused someone else who hasn't been keeping up with the title. Either way Thanks for clearing it up Doom. Are you reading any monthly titles from the New 52? If so any thoughts on them?

Earth-2, the Superman books, and I was following the Green Lantern books until after the first storyline in on the new creative team, then I dropped it. After that I was just reading the Red Lantern book (as far as GL books go), and I picked up Sinestro #1 (which was awesome).

It's alright. I don't completely hate it. But at the same time, I'd MUCH rather have the traditional DC Universe back.