Welcome Guest Active Topics
Giant-Size X-Men #1 - German Language Edition Options
MoonKnight1
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 10:59:28 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Sure wish I could list this here...Sad

Signed by Dave Cockrum as well. Whistle

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

comicscastle
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 12:34:15 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

Since the title is in English I don't see why it couldn't be added. We allow Canadian, British and Australian books. Our only rule against books from other countries is that they need to be in English as we don't accept non-English letters. I say submit it but be prepared to wait while it's discussed among the Approvers. You might need to hunt a copy that isn't autographed.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 12:55:05 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

The German language edition for Hulk #181 is in the database. I had a slabbed copy that I sold here on CCL.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 1:16:06 PM

Shop at My Store

Hmm, I knew that CCL had English and Canadian comics but I thought that other foreign comics were not allowed. The entire book is in German but the indicia does say "Giant-Size X-Men".

I'll submit a CR like you suggested, Pat. I'll do some research first so probably the middle of the week.

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

SwiftMann
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 2:46:46 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

From my perspective, this shouldn't be added based on the current approvers stance. The Approvers recently discussed this (based on me pushing for it) and it was an overwhelming no. My understanding of the English-language aspect isn't based on the cover title but the contents.

And if we do allow it, I think it needs to be a separate title. Of course I think the Australian and British price differences should be separate titles instead of variants.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 8:35:54 PM

Shop at My Store

My opinion may not mean much, but I think the German Language Reprints should be allowed as reprint variants of their respective books. They were all produced in the same year, and are very much sought after by American buyers. They really aren't in the same category as your average, ongoing foreign-language series.
LadyJay
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 9:44:32 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Super Hero Showdown Host

SwiftMann wrote:
From my perspective, this shouldn't be added based on the current approvers stance. The Approvers recently discussed this (based on me pushing for it) and it was an overwhelming no. My understanding of the English-language aspect isn't based on the cover title but the contents.

That's my understanding, too. I don't see this as an exception.

Xylob
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 10:04:51 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

LadyJay wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:

That's my understanding, too. I don't see this as an exception.

Same here.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 10:22:16 PM

Shop at My Store

Then I guess this needs to be invalidated, then:

The insides are foreign language, after all.
Xylob
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 7:07:54 AM

The exception that proves the rule.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

Thundercron
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 7:33:25 AM

Shop at My Store

Xylob wrote:
The exception that proves the rule.

How does this exception prove the rule?
Xylob
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 9:20:55 AM

Hey, if you can be a smart-ass, I can too.
This particular issue was clearly and obviously made and meant for the English speaking market.
Currently, that is what CCL catalogs - items clearly made for the English speaking market.
Your X-Men item, though an "English" title with (mostly) English words on the cover, has the entirety of its content in German. It was made and intended for a non-English speaking market.

I have some German comics I picked up on vacation last summer that I'd love to add to my CCL collection, but that's not what CCL is intended for. So I'm outta luck.

Also, often times European comics are NOT simply reprints of their English language counterparts. The Superman #X comic I picked up last year in Munich is actually a reprint of Action Comics #X AND Supergirl #Y. The Green Lantern #X is a reprint of Green Lantern Annual #1.

I'd like to take this opportunity to refer you to the Change Request Guidelines. Item #5:
"At this time, only English language items are accepted in the CCL database.".
If there are other items in the database that do not meet this criteria, they should not have been approved (and should be invalidated).
The fact that we have done something incorrectly in the past is not a valid reason to continue doing so.
Your Klingon language example seems to be a clear cut example of an item obviously intended for an English language market - all the information in the bar-code area for example, and to press the point I'll bet you a shiny new nickel that every word of the indicia is also in English. What language is the indicia of the X-Men? Our Change Request Guidelines also state "Cover Titles should match the indicia whenever possible.".
If you really want to push the issue (no pun intended), I will gladly begin a discussion in the Approvers Lounge regarding invalidating the Klingon item and be more than happy to involve Mr. Butler and Mr. Boyd in that discussion.
Please let me know.

However, you should know that I have already fought this battle regarding adding non-English items/titles with my fellow approvers as well as Mr. Butler and the rule is still "NO"...

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

Thundercron
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 10:39:25 AM

Shop at My Store

Me? Being a smart ass? Sarcastic?

Absolutely.

And I know I'm playing Devil's Advocate with the Klingon issue. Of course I don't want it invalidated, but I'm trying to make a point. Time and again when oddball variants are asked to be added to the database, the answer is no for some specific reason, and then the mantra of "no exceptions" is bandied about. But a quick look at the database always shows that exceptions have been made. When this is pointed out, the excuse is always "that's an error listing and needs to be invalidated". But then the issues in question are never invalidated. So that leads me to believe the Approvers don't really agree with those rules, and are more than happy to look the other way when some comics accidentally make it through the approval process. Which I appreciate on the one hand, but on the other hand it just adds to more confusion and frustration down the road when similar variants are proposed to the system and then shot down.

As for these German Reprints--I don't know what the indicia says, since I don't have the Giant Size X-Men comic in question. This is Howie's thread--I've just hijacked it. Anyway--these German editions sell for a substantially higher amount of money on the secondary market when compared with other foreign comics. And that IS one of the criteria for adding variants to the database. Some of these are also limited (only 800 or 1000 printed), and others have special gold foil covers. So these obviously were printed with collectors in mind. They aren't the same as your average monthly foreign edition comic book series, which generally don't sell for much on the back issue market. Plus, it's debatable where and how these were distributed. Most foreign comics have a hard time making it Stateside, but for some reason there are an awful lot of these available in America.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, as I don't have any of these in my inventory. I was just surprised when I started investigating this thread and found out that most of these German issues weren't in the database, and then saw that the prevailing view is that they shouldn't be allowed. I wholeheartedly disagree, and I think I've made a sound argument based on reason as to why they should be.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 11:06:23 AM

Shop at My Store

This comic is a complete reprint of the original, including the ads which are still in English. The dialogue and captions are all in German and there is an additional 8 pages of content added containing a text piece from Chris Claremont (translated into German) and a Sketchbook which is also all in German. The indicia is all in German except for the last sentence which is in English.

I can understand why some foreign comics are not allowed, I guess. I have a couple dozen of them and most of them I wouldn't consider "variants". They are definitely new comics even though they reprint other books. In this case (GS X-Men #1) it is obviously a variant and not a new, completely different book. I believe the same could be said about Corey's earlier example of the Incredible Hulk #181.

I am assuming the reason why these are not allowed or are no longer allowed is the fear of the slippery slope. If some are accepted they should all be and that would create a lot of difficulties for Approvers and Submitters. I would like for the rule to give some leeway in certain cases such as the two books previously mentioned. If it doesn't happen then no big deal to me, there are other places that I can sell this. Angel

Hall Liquidations

Xylob
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 11:15:02 AM

Thundercron wrote:

And I know I'm playing Devil's Advocate with the Klingon issue...
As am I with most of this. I'd love to see these kinds of things in the database.
I don't make the rules, but I gotta follow 'em &/or "enforce" 'em...

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

Thundercron
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 11:16:38 AM

Shop at My Store

MoonKnight1 wrote:
This comic is a complete reprint of the original, including the ads which are still in English. The dialogue and captions are all in German and there is an additional 8 pages of content added containing a text piece from Chris Claremont (translated into German) and a Sketchbook which is also all in German. The indicia is all in German except for the last sentence which is in English.

I can understand why some foreign comics are not allowed, I guess. I have a couple dozen of them and most of them I wouldn't consider "variants". They are definitely new comics even though they reprint other books. In this case (GS X-Men #1) it is obviously a variant and not a new, completely different book. I believe the same could be said about Corey's earlier example of the Incredible Hulk #181.

I am assuming the reason why these are not allowed or are no longer allowed is the fear of the slippery slope. If some are accepted they should all be and that would create a lot of difficulties for Approvers and Submitters. I would like for the rule to give some leeway in certain cases such as the two books previously mentioned. If it doesn't happen then no big deal to me, there are other places that I can sell this. Angel

This is where approvers don't give themselves enough credit to make decisions. They're afraid this is a slippery slope, as you say, but anyone looking at these issues can tell they are a different animal than other foreign comics. So it's not a slippery slope. These German reprints are substantially different. No real grey area, if you ask me.
Xylob
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 11:17:16 AM

Thundercron wrote:
...But a quick look at the database always shows that exceptions have been made. When this is pointed out, the excuse is always "that's an error listing and needs to be invalidated". But then the issues in question are never invalidated. So that leads me to believe the Approvers don't really agree with those rules, and are more than happy to look the other way when some comics accidentally make it through the approval process...
Actually, we have an extensive list of crap that needs to be weeded out... as well as full time jobs.
Volunteerism doesn't always make for the most efficient work force...

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

Xylob
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 11:21:47 AM

MoonKnight1 wrote:
...there are other places that I can sell this. Angel
One of my primary arguments for why we should find a way of getting this stuff included. But hey, it's not me losing potential customers...

As an approver though, I do have to say that getting these into the database correctly can be a huge challenge considering the minimal amount of information provided by some submitters.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 11:35:49 AM

Shop at My Store

Xylob wrote:
MoonKnight1 wrote:
...there are other places that I can sell this. Angel
One of my primary arguments for why we should find a way of getting this stuff included. But hey, it's not me losing potential customers...

Agreed, I would rather be able to sell it (and others like it) here.

Hall Liquidations

jhorsley3
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 12:10:56 PM

Shop at My Store

Just want to point this out that is in the CCL database...
Both an English and a Spanish edition are available.

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveData/Issue.aspx?id=64889b48-486b-45e7-bc1c-944bace0de6e

Like our facebook page: Th3 Comics