Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Thoughts on new comics read Options
ukblueky
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:35:23 PM

Groups: Member

My disgust with a title that I was looking forward too prompted me to write this thread. I will discuss some other titles also but on to my main reason for this thread.

Possible Spoilers ahead.

Moon Knight (2014) - Holy Crap this book is a joke. Its more than a joke, its a crime against the environment. Marvel should be charged with some crime for killing trees to make the paper this garbage is printed on. I just finished reading issue 4 and I was hoping maybe Ellis just had to grow into the character, but nope it was just as bad as the last 3. I'm beginning to think Ellis's outstanding run on Thunderbolts was either a fluke or actually written by someone else and he took credit. Something is seriously going on here with this book. Maybe Mr Ellis doesn't know or understand the Moon Knight character, maybe Warren has a huge work load and Marvel begged him to write this book even though he doesn't have time to devote to it just to have his name on it, maybe Warren doesn't really give a crap and writes down whatever ideas he over hears from 1st graders, maybe its a combination of more than one of these or all. Whatever the reason Mr Ellis must have black mail photos of a Marvel big wig. Cause how else would this turd of a book even get printed?

Trees - Oh boy another Warren Ellis book. Well this ones not as bad as Moon Knight but its not great either. It starts out rather bad but does get a little more interesting at the end of the first issue. I actually like the concept of aliens landing on earth but caring so little for humans and the planet that they don't leave their ships for 10 years plus. The pacing on this book may be what brings it down. It moves along at the speed of paint drying. Of course this is just the first issue and it could get better. But with Warren Ellis track record over the last decade I'm not betting the farm on it.

The Last Broadcast - Ughh... nothing positive to say here. If your looking for a happy review keep scrolling down for there is no happy words for this book. First off the art is horrid. Its just a horrible horrible style. Because its so bad it can make the panels confusing at times. Your not sure what your looking at or who or what the image even is. Second its a bad story wrote even worse. Not only is the art confusing at times but so is the story thanks to the writing. There are two or more things going on at once but it doesn't tell you if they are all happening in the same year or if some panels take place in the past or future. Again its only one issue in but I can guarantee you this, it will be the only issue I read of this mini.

Now for a happy review.
Batman Eternal - Just finished reading issue 7 thru 9. This book, in my opinion, is everything that a comic book should be. Its has terrific art, a great story that is wrote really good, perfect pacing. I have nothing negative to say about the book. I cant believe how good this book is considering its a weekly title. Its actually a good thing its weekly because it gives me the chance to read more of it.

New 52: Futures End - read issues 1 thru 5 and I'm digging it. Besides Firestorm I never cared much for any of the characters this title focuses on but it doesn't matter. The story is written interestingly enough that I still want to see what happens. It has my attention for now. Does this title give anyone the "52" or "Countdown" feeling? Maybe cause its weekly or that it focuses on lower tier heroes.

Aquaman #31 and Swamp Thing #32 - I list these two titles together because its the same story arc. Really odd kind of story. Maybe its not the story's that's odd just the way both characters are written in the story. I know next to nothing of Swamp Thing so I cant say if this is his normal behavior but he acts all Ghandi and Jesus (turn the other cheek pacifist) toward Aquaman while Aquaman is being a complete douche. Swamp Thing even tries to explain who he is to Aquaman but Arthur is to busy being a dick to even listen. Really bad character writing for Arthur in my opinion. Besides that gripe the story is kinda weak but at least this was the best post Johns Aquaman issue to date. Maybe Parker is getting a better feel of the character and what he wants to do with the title.

ukblueky
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 12:42:29 AM

Okay finished up some more reading. So here goes.
Nightwing #30 - From issue 1 this was one of DC's strongest titles and then they had to go and mess with the character during Forever Evil. So now we have Nightwing ending with this issue so DC can bring Dick back in a new series. Well for a last issue for such a great title it is a let down to say the least. A lot of what happens in this book doesn't make a lot of sense and demands the reader to completely buy into some things that don't add up. First off the serial killer group featured in the first few pages doesn't seem to fit in with the storyline except I guess to introduce Hellina (which her name is never even mentioned). Next the issue focuses a lot of attention on Batman and Dick beating the crap out of one another for some reason. I guess it made sense to the writer but not the reader. Also everyone still thinks Dick is dead (we see this with Alfred) and Batman wants it to be that way but Dick doesn't so they beat the crap out of one another. Batman wants Dick to join some secret villan group that hunts heroes and Dick doesn't want to. More punches and smashing into things. Then at the end of the fight Dick agrees...huh? Big leap there but back to there secret of Dick being dead. How does DC expect the reader to just accept this? There were other heroes there at the end of Forever Evil that saw Luthor bring Dick back. Nowhere did Batman ever ask any of them to keep Dick being alive a secret, nor do I think any of them would go along with it. So I would just assume that since the whole world now knows Dick was Nightwing that somebody somewhere will just bring Dick's name up in a passing conversation with a hero talking about it being a shame how he died only to see the perplexed look on the heroes face when they say he's not dead. So now we are looking at the people close to Bruce being mad at him for letting them believe Dick was dead. Ugh the headache.

Forever Evil #7 and Justice League #30
Since JL #30 is pretty much a direct continuation of Forever Evil #7 I'll lump them together. First Forever Evil. So it wraps up in this issue. Not a bad little story all together. I'm kinda confused on one thing though. At the end Ted Kord comes into the story. Is this the Blue Beetle Ted Kord or did he have a son named Ted? If someone knows please reply. Then Lex Luthor starts putting together the pieces and finds out Bruce is Batman. It had to happen. No way no one was gonna put that together since they outed Dick as Nightwing. Which brings us to JL #30. I had planned on dropping this book because I figured the whole Luthor in the Justice League angle would suck but know I'm intrigued. At the end of the issue we see Lex showing up at Wayne Manor asking Alfred if he can speak with Batman. Also in this issue Power Rings (or at least I think that was his name) ring finds a new host by the name of Jessica Cruz. This name sounds familiar but I don't know why. Again if anyone knows please respond.

Uprising story arc in GLC #31 and GL #31,32
This may be the least interesting GL "event" to date so far. Each issue seems to wrap up a storyline but yet it keeps going. It doesn't even feel like an event, if its even supposed to be one. Its a 6 parter which crosses over into two books, so whatever you call it. In the GLC #31 Sodam Yat gets rescued and brought back with the team and we find out the Durlans want to become Daxamites, what Sodam Yat's race is. I cant begin to tell you how sick I am of the Durlans in the GL books. Enough already. Just kill the shape changers off so I don't have to worry about them ever invading another GL book again.

Superman/Wonder Woman #8
This issue is part 2 of the "Doomed" story. This storyline is nothing what I was expecting. I don't know why but I was thinking, I guess hoping, it was going to be this big Superman vs Doomsday battle royale but nope Supes kills Doomsday in part 1. So now we have a storyline about Superman being infected by Doomsday and turning into him. I had planned on buying all the books to this storyline until I read the Superman Doomsday one shot, but now after reading this issue I may just go ahead and pick them up. This issue makes the storyline more interesting than the one shot did. Maybe its just better writing. Whatever the reason this issue was really good. Toney Daniel does a nice job on the art and Soule is just as good, maybe better, on the writing. The issue mainly focuses on Wonder Woman, mostly "disguised" as Diana Prince, trying to track down Superman because he has gone recluse on her due to the virus infecting him. It reads better than it sounds. Since when has Wonder Woman be a telepath? I don't think I've read more than 3 Wonder Woman comics in my life but I never knew she was a telepath. She speaks with and commands a soldier to release Lois through telepathy. She tells the soldier she is War. When did Wonder Woman become War? All that aside its still a good issue.

If anyone else has anything to add to the thread please do. I don't read any Marvel titles except Spider-Man and *shudder* Moon Knight. I'd like to know how Captain America, Iron Man and X-Men books are. I quit reading most of Marvel a year or more ago. Thinking about picking some of them back up.

evilskip42
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 8:09:00 AM

I picked up JL 30 on a whim not having read any of the previous issues since Throne Of Atlantis. It was almost enough for me to add the book to my pull list. It is kind of amusing that characters like Luthor and Sinestro are more fun to read than the heroes they face.

The Moon Knight previews at various sites were so bad I wouldn't read the comic if you gave it to me for free. Truly Moon Knight is a character that nobody can get a handle on and do it properly. Read somewhere that Ellis is leaving soon but that doesn't guarantee it will get any better.

I have a lot of catching up to do on the New 52 titles but so far I've enjoyed what I've read of Red Lanterns, Aquaman and Nightwing (to name a few).Too bad Nightwing was shut down so quickly to put him in a spy book. Sigh.
inhumanking
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 2:49:47 PM

ukblueky wrote:

Moon Knight (2014)

Trees

Batman Eternal

New 52: Futures End

If anyone else has anything to add to the thread please do. I don't read any Marvel titles except Spider-Man and *shudder* Moon Knight. I'd like to know how Captain America, Iron Man and X-Men books are. I quit reading most of Marvel a year or more ago. Thinking about picking some of them back up

Moon Knight by Ellis caught my attention, but i decided to wait until the story was far enough along to either gain momentum or fall flat. oh well.

i read Trees as well, and i agree. i like trying out new titles, and since i use DCBS's monthly shipping, i'm committed to at least 3 issues of a title by the time i know if it's good or not. so if this one doesn't pick up speed by #3, i'm out.

from jump i knew i would pick up Batman: Eternal in trade if the reviews were good, because the weekly format is a lot for the budget. i'm glad it's pulling positive feedback. same thing with Future's End, waiting for the TPB.

i recently finished the first two trades of Bedlam, and while not for everyone, i liked it. which brings me to another title, BOOM's "Translucid", which shares a similar theme (hero-villain relationship & codependency). Translucid, after 2 issues, is keeping my attention, even if not completely original (what is?).

a few other indy's i'm reading: Caliban (i love Ennis, excited to see where this one's going), God is Dead (this is still a strong read even though Hickman turned over writing chores), and the mainstays, Walking Dead, Saga, Manhattan Projects, Sheltered, East of West.

as for marvel, i've been following the Avengers titles since Hickman came onboard. i like it. Remender's Uncanny Avengers too, lots of fun. i also read Waid's Daredevil & Hulk, & Aaron's Thor (all three very good reads), and the current Punisher, which isn't bad.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 3:03:43 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

evilskip42 wrote:
Truly Moon Knight is a character that nobody can get a handle on and do it properly.

Au contraire, mien fruend!

Doug Moench had a stellar run on the first MK series. Of course, he did create the character! Laughing

If you haven't read the 1980's series then I highly recommend it. The art of Bill Sienkiewicz is outstanding, the writing is incredible and it is not your typical super hero fare.

Not that I'm biased or anything. Angel

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

ukblueky
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014 9:50:23 PM

Glad people are chiming in. Not a lot of actual comic book talk going on this board lately. Hoping to change that.

I have the first 5 or 6 issues of Bedlam. I read the first 3 and love it. Don't have a reason why I haven't read the other 3. Seems like there is always something else to read.
Another Image title I love is Revival. I'm up to issue 17 now, I think. Seeley does a great writing job on this book. He does a wonderful job with the characters. He seems to be on a ton of books. I find all the ones I read by him really enjoyable. Its amazing that none of the books feel rushed.
Moon Knight what is your opinion on Charlie Houstons take on Moon Knight from a few years ago. I absolutely loved it. I thought he had a strong grasp of the character and knew exactly the story he wanted to tell. It was dark, gritty, manic, violent, intelligent, perfectly paced. To me it is about as close to flawless as it gets. Really wish Marvel could get him back for this book.

I tried one issue of the latest Ghost Rider book and Holy God does Marvel hate the Ghost Rider fans? Crappy art with an even worse story. Stupid premise to boot. God please let this fail miserably so Marvel can finally see that if its not Johnny or Dan don't put the Ghost Rider title on it. A car....seriously?...a friggin kid in a car?...Sick Sorry I just threw up in my mouth a little thinking about it.

evilskip42
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 8:50:21 AM

MoonKnight1 wrote:
evilskip42 wrote:
Truly Moon Knight is a character that nobody can get a handle on and do it properly.

Au contraire, mien fruend!

Doug Moench had a stellar run on the first MK series. Of course, he did create the character! Laughing

If you haven't read the 1980's series then I highly recommend it. The art of Bill Sienkiewicz is outstanding, the writing is incredible and it is not your typical super hero fare.

Not that I'm biased or anything. Angel

Well I would have mentioned the Moench run (love his MOKF) but it has been many moons since then(pun intended). Devil It seems there have been several attempts over the years since Moench left that have all gone down in flames pretty quickly.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 9:55:10 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

ukblueky wrote:
Moon Knight what is your opinion on Charlie Houstons take on Moon Knight from a few years ago. I absolutely loved it. I thought he had a strong grasp of the character and knew exactly the story he wanted to tell. It was dark, gritty, manic, violent, intelligent, perfectly paced. To me it is about as close to flawless as it gets. Really wish Marvel could get him back for this book.

I did enjoy his run. He had a great handle on the character. I have to confess that I haven't been reading the new series so I can't comment on that. Some of the mistakes that writers make with Moon Knight is having him be too stable. The guy is anything but. Another mistake is when someone tries to make him too much of a super hero, like in the West Coast Avengers.

MK has always been best when there is a supernatural tone to the stories and an emphasis on his fractured psyche. Let's face it, his first appearance was as a lycanthrope hunter in Werewolf by Night. His origin has him as a heartless mercenary who is killed and resurrected by an Egyptian god of vengeance. He's got more personalities than Donald Trump has Rolexes.

His villains need to reflect that history as well. He should encounter vampires, zombies and the like. Think back to the Huston series when he killed Bushman and carved off his face only to be haunted by the Khonshu controlled specter (see what I did there? Big Grin ) of his nemesis.

I would be more than happy to offer my services to Marvel to plot and script a Moon Knight series. Call Me Winking

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

SwiftMann
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 12:51:17 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I've read all three MK Essentials and enjoyed the hell out of them. I think the black and white art actually helped the experience.

I read the first three Huston trades and thought they were unbearably awful. See my fairly brutal review of the second trade.

Skipped the Bend is series because that seemed like the absolute worst writer for MK.

I'm still looking forward to the Ellis trade. I love Ellis. The only thing he's genuinely botched is the JLA Classified arc a while back (although I thought his Thunderbolts arc felt heavily forced/edited).

"Words have meaning." - my wife
PCPaperbacks
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 1:09:40 PM

I like the New Ghost Rider and the art work! I like that it a classic 1970s muscle car instead of the same old Motorcycle thing... It being a 16 year old kid hopefully will breath life into the spirit of vengeance! Warren Ellis is one of my favorites! It takes about 4 or 5 issues to figure out what Ellis is saying but it is usually good stuff! Too early to know what Trees is all about! I can't comment on Moon Knight, I never like the character, once the first story ark is done I will read it. I always pick up Ellis's first story to see if I love it or just like it!

Quote:
"First is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Erp"

ukblueky
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 2:17:04 PM

Sweet, this what I'm looking for. Its nice to see varying opinions. Of course I don't think Swift read Ellis's X-Men "Ghost Box" story line if he thinks Ellis has only botched one comic. Eesshh that was gut wrenchingly bad. PCpaperbacks you don't need to wait for 5 issues to see what Ellis is saying on this new Moon Knight. They are are self contained stories. Trust me he's not saying anything except "ha ha jokes on you for paying for this garbage"

I'll throw another big name writer's comic out for discussion. Whats everyones opinion on Jupiters Legacy by Millar? I find it to be one of the books I look forward to reading the most when it comes out, whenever it comes out.lol Is this book always late or is it not a monthly release? Either way its a great read for adults. Even Quitely's art, who I have always hated with a passion, is growing on me in this book. Now Millar shoves his political views in the readers face in this book. So if that kinda thing bothers you then it may turn you off this book completely.

Tamwood
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 3:03:22 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I've tried several non-big two books recently (within the last year or so). A lot of them just don't do anything for me. I didn't like Bedlam or Revival. The first issue of Jupiter's Legacy was interesting, but IT NEVER COMES OUT and I gave up on it. There was a title called Superbia that was interesting, but it quickly grew boring.

I do enjoy Saga, Rachel Rising (although I don't really read RR right now ... have to wait for the eventual Omnibus) and Velvet. And one of my absolute favorites is Rat Queens. I absolutely LOVE Rat Queens.

Maybe I'm just a Super-Hero kinda guy.

Ghost Rider has never interested me. Just the LOOK of the new GR had me laughing my a$$ off, and guessing at a 4-5 month cancellation timeframe. And I've never found Moon Knight to be an interesting character, either. Granted, I've read very little of him.
SwiftMann
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 5:19:29 PM

Shop at My Store

Re: Ghost Box - I forgot about/tried to black out anything Ellis had to do with Astonishing. Good catch. But, generally, I'm aware that I'm an Ellis apologist because I often love his stuff. Looking forward to reading MK and see just how much of an apologist I am.

Re: Jupiter's Legacy - I'm kind of digging. Figure it's a better collection read than once every 3-4 months. I run real hot and cold on Millar, but I love Quietly.

Re: New New New Ghost Rider - Is it really a 70s muscle car? A friend of mine pointed out it's exactly one of the cars from Fast & Furious. Down to the detailing. May still be a 70s muscle car, but clearly catering to the Furious crowd.

Re: Velvet - Loved the first two issues. Missed #3 in my pre-ordering and been waiting to get it before moving on.

SpidermanGeek
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 8:52:46 AM

Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator

I haven't read every post in this thread yet, but felt the need to share my general opinion of Warren Ellis' work.

I personally don't care for anything he's ever written. Not one bit.

I always chalked it up to me just not "getting" him. This goes all the way back to when I religiously read and collected X-Man.

I know that when Joe Q became EIC, he's the one that ultimately decided to cancel that book, so he just threw it to Ellis & Steve Grant to finish the book off as part of the Counter-X thing... but OMG did that ever suck. I still blame Ellis to this day for totally ruining that book and one of my favorite characters.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.

I haz a Blog
KnifeTricks
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 9:29:10 AM

Groups: Forum Admin, Member, Moderator

If you hated Ellis's take on Moon Knight, then you're in luck. Both Ellis and Shalvey are leaving Moon Knight after issue 6. They're being replaced by Brian Wood and Greg Smallwood.

SwiftMann
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 9:29:25 AM

Shop at My Store

SpidermanGeek wrote:
I still blame Ellis to this day for totally ruining that book...

And here I thought Terry Kavanagh spent 30+ issues doing that before him.

ukblueky
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 9:25:32 PM

Time for more unsolicited thoughts on books that maybe no one is reading.lol

John Carpenter's Asylum #4 - First I have to say since issue number 1 this may be the best drawn and inked book being put out currently. All the pretty pictures may elevate this book to be better in my mind than it really is. I loved the first 3 issues but it has been a few weeks since I read them so I felt kinda lost in this issue. Maybe I thought I read issue 3 but in reality I actually didn't. Sometimes its hard to keep up. Ahh, first world problems. Anyway, issue 4 seems to jump around a little more than past issues. Which caused me some confusion. I love the series so much though I will go back and read all 4 issues in one setting before next issue to prevent any future confusion. For those that have not read this title its a horror comic revolving around the usual cast of characters. An ex priest, an atheist, angry male cop who bends the law, the cops hot female partner, and the devil or at the very least a demon claiming to be the devil. Its a possession story with nothing really new to add. I know I'm not saying positive things but it is still a good book.

Witcher #3 - This is a book by Darkhorse based off the character from the video game series. Trust me the book is better than the game. For fans of Solomon Kane this is a must read. Magic, swords, ghosts, ghouls, and other things that go bump in the night. I read issue one and fell in love with it. Issue two was just as great. Issue 3 umm..not so much. Time for the unnecessary sports reference (I love sports references). Issues 1 and 2 were grand slams. Issue 3 is a ground rule double. The art, while not my normal cup of tea, really fits the feel of this book.

Shutter #1 - I've had this issue sitting in my to read stack for weeks now. I had flipped through it before and wasn't impressed, so I kept putting it back in the pile. Well I finally got around to it and ehh. Decent art with a story that I couldn't really follow. Its not that the story was that complex it just couldn't be told in one issue and I couldn't care less. Just couldn't get into the book. Seems to be a story about some young woman whose family for generations were explorers and adventurers. When she was young her dad drug her along the adventures but she wasn't into it. Her dad died when she was a teenager and I guess she didn't follow her family's path. She then wrote books but quit that. Now I guess she takes pictures? I don't care what she does I'm not following her book.

The Authority # 1-4 Okay I have been putting Ellis down on this thread so I went and looked up his library of comics he wrote. I had always heard great things about Authority and it came out during a time when I was out of comics. A seller on here had several of the issues for a buck apiece, so I figured why not. For the record I do love Ellis's Thunderbolts run. It was in my opinion the best book in comics during Ellis's run. I read the first arc of Authority and while I'm not blown away I did find each issue entertaining. Honestly that's the whole reason for reading comics, isn't it? I don't read comics to change my world views or to be enlightened or expand my mind. I read them to be entertained. Well Authority does just that. Also I can see why Marvel put Hitch on the Ultimates after seeing how he handled the art on this team book. I guess if theres one complaint about this title, at least for the first four issues, its not character friendly. What I mean by that is I don't really know anything about the characters in it therefore I don't care about them. Maybe character driven stories are not Mr Ellis's thing. Maybe he's just an action writer. Not familiar enough with his work to make that call. All in all I would still recommend this title to anyone who missed it the first go around in the late 90's like myself. It does a great job of being a super hero team book for adults. The action/fights are bloody and violent without being over the top violent for the sake of being violent. The language is more mature but not laddened with "F" bombs.

ukblueky
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 9:32:57 PM

KnifeTricks wrote:
If you hated Ellis's take on Moon Knight, then you're in luck. Both Ellis and Shalvey are leaving Moon Knight after issue 6. They're being replaced by Brian Wood and Greg Smallwood.

That is great news and I think it justifies my theory that Marvel just put Ellis on this book to sell it not because he actually had a story to tell. I don't think a writer who really wants to be on a title leaves it after just 6 issues.

SwiftMann
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 3:19:43 AM

Shop at My Store

Re: Authority characterization - This is because Authority wasn't very new reader friendly. It spun out of Ellis' long run on two StormWatch series before becoming Authority.

Re: Asylum art - Manco is one of my all*time favorite artists. He just doesn't work on stuff I care to read (see also: Jae Lee). I tried the first issue of Asylum based on Manco's name in the solicit, but it just wasn't my type of book.