Log In Forums Help
Comic Collector Live
Home :: CCL Messageboard
Find Comics for Sale
Items For Sale
All Comics For Sale
New Releases
CGC Comics
Bundled Lots
Store Locator
Search Library
Search By Title
Publisher
Story Arc
Character
Credits
Release Date
Change Request Manager
News & Reviews
Reviews
News
Our Products and Services
Get the Software
Buying Comics And Stuff
Selling Your Comics
Opening A Store
Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Variants with letters on the cover....... Options
betaswitch
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:12:31 PM

Rank: Superhero
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 3/23/2007
Posts: 123
Points: 2,393
Location: Blaine, WA
"If a cover already has a letter denotation such as "COVER A", try to keep consistency."

That was taken from the guidelines. To me that means if a cover, i.e. Lady Mechanika 0 "S", has a certain letter on it, it should be that variant in the database.

Is that correct?
Tamwood
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 5:54:56 AM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Joined: 11/13/2009
Posts: 1,699
Points: 154,405
Location: Indiana
Unless I'm getting old and blind, there is no designation on either of the two covers you've submitted to the DB marking that particular issue as "S". Furthermore, your comments IN those two submissions make it sound as if you want the two submitted covers to be "S" because a third issue is designated "S" and you want them all to be uniform.

So, to answer your question. If a cover is designate a certain letter, as I believe IDW tends to do, then yes, we try to match those up. If you're wanting your three sketch covers to all line-up in the database, no. We're not concerned about how cosmetic they look in a listing. Unless there are 18 other covers for Lady Mechanika #0 and #2, they shouldn't be labeled "S">
Xylob
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:57:22 AM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Joined: 8/12/2007
Posts: 8,208
Points: 66,358
"SKETCH COVER" is, in no way shape of form, the same thing as when cover is specifically labeled "Cover A" or "Cover B".
"SKETCH COVER" is a description, not a label or designation.
In this case, the #0 should be "L", the #2 should be "K".
Depending on certain circumstances, you MIGHT be able to convince the approvers that they should be earlier letters and what's in the database needs to be shuffled a bit (based on a variety of factors like actual release dates of individual items, ratio of availability, and what printing they are) but these are not "S".

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
SwiftMann
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:09:57 AM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 4/19/2007
Posts: 11,457
Points: 1,973,730
Location: PA
Aspen is doing stupid things with these Lady Mechanika issues. While we generally do follow a publisher's cover lettering, Aspen is having arbitrary lettering while skipping a dozen letters. CCL isn't going to follow that.

In #1-I it is noted "aspenstore.com and the cover checklist on the inside cover lists this as Cover R (possibly for "Re-Colored Cover")."

The same type of note can be added for other covers like Cover S (possibly for "Sketch Cover").

"Words have meaning." - my wife
betaswitch
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:36:47 PM

Rank: Superhero
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 3/23/2007
Posts: 123
Points: 2,393
Location: Blaine, WA
1"I" is labeled as such because it already has a cover with the correct variant. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a signed version.
betaswitch
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:38:53 PM

Rank: Superhero
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 3/23/2007
Posts: 123
Points: 2,393
Location: Blaine, WA
Tamwood, guess you're old and blind, LOL. The variant letter is on the right side of the number. Just like all the others I submitted. I don't see why this is a problem now when it wasn't before.
betaswitch
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:42:04 PM

Rank: Superhero
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 3/23/2007
Posts: 123
Points: 2,393
Location: Blaine, WA
Why have guidelines if they aren't being followed? It says if the book has a letter labeling the variant that it will be used?
Xylob
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 5:48:50 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Joined: 8/12/2007
Posts: 8,208
Points: 66,358
betaswitch wrote:
...It says if the book has a letter labeling the variant that it will be used?
Who's "old and blind"?
It doesn't say that.
Change Request Guidelines wrote:
...If a cover already has a letter denotation such as "COVER A", try to keep consistency....

I'm not sure how insulting the approvers is supposed to get your submissions approved... it certainly won't make them very high on the priority list.
I'm looking at both of your current submissions right now and I don't see an "S" next to or "on" either issue number on those covers. Not even when I zoom in like crazy on your pixelated badly cropped images...
Are you hallucinating?

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
Spider-Man
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:24:31 PM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber

Joined: 1/5/2007
Posts: 4,274
Points: 288,447
Location: USA
I also am having trouble seeing the S. Is there any way you could crop a scan of the cover to show just a close-up of the number and the S? That would be helpful.






Signature design by CCL's own DrFate



SpiderFan.org





SwiftMann
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:50:51 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 4/19/2007
Posts: 11,457
Points: 1,973,730
Location: PA
betaswitch wrote:
1"I" is labeled as such because it already has a cover with the correct variant. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a signed version.

What are you talking about? 0-K and 1-I are both gray background later printings with bio notes about being R covers per Aspen.

"Words have meaning." - my wife
betaswitch
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:04:27 PM

Rank: Superhero
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 3/23/2007
Posts: 123
Points: 2,393
Location: Blaine, WA
SwiftMann wrote:
betaswitch wrote:
1"I" is labeled as such because it already has a cover with the correct variant. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a signed version.

What are you talking about? 0-K and 1-I are both gray background later printings with bio notes about being R covers per Aspen.


I didn't have my computer in front of me, so I couldn't see the isssues in question.

Wow, I'm off the forums for a few months and everyone seems to have grown less supportive.....
betaswitch
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:05:04 PM

Rank: Superhero
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 3/23/2007
Posts: 123
Points: 2,393
Location: Blaine, WA
Xylob wrote:
betaswitch wrote:
...It says if the book has a letter labeling the variant that it will be used?
Who's "old and blind"?
It doesn't say that.
Change Request Guidelines wrote:
...If a cover already has a letter denotation such as "COVER A", try to keep consistency....

I'm not sure how insulting the approvers is supposed to get your submissions approved... it certainly won't make them very high on the priority list.
I'm looking at both of your current submissions right now and I don't see an "S" next to or "on" either issue number on those covers. Not even when I zoom in like crazy on your pixelated badly cropped images...
Are you hallucinating?


Sorry I didn't quote virbatim what the rules say. Who am I insulting? You? I didn't think so. Tamwood said unless he's old and blind, I was just joking saying he was. If he's insulted, I apologize, but not to you.

I didn't crop them, thanks for playing. I just got them off a facebook page. I don't have a book to scan. The only book I have is slabbed. Those were the best I could find. If you can do better have at.
betaswitch
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:10:28 PM

Rank: Superhero
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 3/23/2007
Posts: 123
Points: 2,393
Location: Blaine, WA
Spider-Man wrote:
I also am having trouble seeing the S. Is there any way you could crop a scan of the cover to show just a close-up of the number and the S? That would be helpful.


Thanks, the only positive critique here. It's the best I had. I can see it when zoomed in on my phone. Guess everyone else on their high horse rather pick on the "noob" for trying to get some books submitted.
bovard
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:18:38 PM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 6/18/2007
Posts: 2,717
Points: 25,801
Location: Earth
Remember, in regards to this issue, the guidelines which are being quoted say "try."

I don't have a dog in this fight, so it makes no difference to me, but I also looked at the CR's and did not see the "S" either.

Also, I know the publisher has written on the top portion of the cover Limited Edition Sketch Cover, but other then that what makes it a sketch cover?

At best it looks like a black and white/grey tone cover, to me anyway. Unless it was re-marked by one of the artists or something like that.

To me the cr is really confusing overall; What is it, why? etc. What's the publishers intent? because they may have got wrong.

Anyway, carry on.


bovard
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:21:19 PM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 6/18/2007
Posts: 2,717
Points: 25,801
Location: Earth
betaswitch wrote:
Spider-Man wrote:
I also am having trouble seeing the S. Is there any way you could crop a scan of the cover to show just a close-up of the number and the S? That would be helpful.


Thanks, the only positive critique here. It's the best I had. I can see it when zoomed in on my phone. Guess everyone else on their high horse rather pick on the "noob" for trying to get some books submitted.

I don't think anyone is trying to pick on you.

But, from someone who is totally neutral here, the CR is confusing.


betaswitch
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:21:20 PM

Rank: Superhero
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 3/23/2007
Posts: 123
Points: 2,393
Location: Blaine, WA
bovard wrote:
Remember, in regards to this issue, the guidelines which are being quoted say "try."

I don't have a dog in this fight, so it makes no difference to me, but I also looked at the CR's and did not see the "S" either.

Also, I know the publisher has written on the top portion of the cover Limited Edition Sketch Cover, but other then that what makes it a sketch cover?

At best it looks like a black and white/grey tone cover, to me anyway. Unless it was re-marked by one of the artists or something like that.

To me the cr is really confusing overall; What is it, why? etc. What's the publishers intent? because they may have got wrong.

Anyway, carry on.


Each cover was sketched by Steigerwald or Benitez. The color is more like a paper grocery sack. Just because it's not white doesn't mean it's not a sketch cover. I also just updated the scans a little.
betaswitch
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:24:52 PM

Rank: Superhero
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 3/23/2007
Posts: 123
Points: 2,393
Location: Blaine, WA
To the approvers I have gotten into it with over this nonsense, I'm sorry. It just seems odd that when I submitted the Issue 1 "s", there wasn't this much stink about it. Guess I'm trying to see how it's different now.

There was an apology in there somewhere. I know we all have more important things to do in this world, but comics is our passion, and I just want to contribute the books I enjoy so that if someone else gets into them, they can see what's out there as far as issues of said book.

(Does that make any sense?)
bovard
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:28:29 PM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 6/18/2007
Posts: 2,717
Points: 25,801
Location: Earth
betaswitch wrote:
bovard wrote:
Remember, in regards to this issue, the guidelines which are being quoted say "try."

I don't have a dog in this fight, so it makes no difference to me, but I also looked at the CR's and did not see the "S" either.

Also, I know the publisher has written on the top portion of the cover Limited Edition Sketch Cover, but other then that what makes it a sketch cover?

At best it looks like a black and white/grey tone cover, to me anyway. Unless it was re-marked by one of the artists or something like that.

To me the cr is really confusing overall; What is it, why? etc. What's the publishers intent? because they may have got wrong.

Anyway, carry on.


Each cover was sketched by Steigerwald or Benitez. The color is more like a paper grocery sack. Just because it's not white doesn't mean it's not a sketch cover. I also just updated the scans a little.


So they were actually individually sketched after production?

I'm just trying to understand. Most of the sketch covers I've seen are penciled, but not inked or colored, and then sent to print. As opposed to a Re-marked cover.

But, maybe it's just a semantics thing or the terminology, I think all the approvers are just trying to understand what the book is.


betaswitch
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:47:13 PM

Rank: Superhero
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 3/23/2007
Posts: 123
Points: 2,393
Location: Blaine, WA
bovard wrote:
betaswitch wrote:
bovard wrote:
Remember, in regards to this issue, the guidelines which are being quoted say "try."

I don't have a dog in this fight, so it makes no difference to me, but I also looked at the CR's and did not see the "S" either.

Also, I know the publisher has written on the top portion of the cover Limited Edition Sketch Cover, but other then that what makes it a sketch cover?

At best it looks like a black and white/grey tone cover, to me anyway. Unless it was re-marked by one of the artists or something like that.

To me the cr is really confusing overall; What is it, why? etc. What's the publishers intent? because they may have got wrong.

Anyway, carry on.


Each cover was sketched by Steigerwald or Benitez. The color is more like a paper grocery sack. Just because it's not white doesn't mean it's not a sketch cover. I also just updated the scans a little.


So they were actually individually sketched after production?

I'm just trying to understand. Most of the sketch covers I've seen are penciled, but not inked or colored, and then sent to print. As opposed to a Re-marked cover.

But, maybe it's just a semantics thing or the terminology, I think all the approvers are just trying to understand what the book is.


Yes, each book was blank and the artist did what they did. Some were simple heads, others super detailed. None went to print, just drawn on by the artist. The one I have, it's a Joker version of Lady Mechanika and it was going for over $1,000 initially.
Xylob
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:11:14 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Joined: 8/12/2007
Posts: 8,208
Points: 66,358
betaswitch wrote:
To the approvers I have gotten into it with over this nonsense, I'm sorry. It just seems odd that when I submitted the Issue 1 "s", there wasn't this much stink about it. Guess I'm trying to see how it's different now.

There was an apology in there somewhere. I know we all have more important things to do in this world, but comics is our passion, and I just want to contribute the books I enjoy so that if someone else gets into them...
This approver gig is getting to be more and more thankless all the time - we can get a bit testy and frankly, at this point you're not going to find a whole lot of 'turn the other cheek' from most of us.

Sorry I snapped at you. I missed Tam's comment and took yours as smack-talk.
I do appreciate you taking time to contribute to the database, and am doing a piss-poor job of showing it.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

This page was generated in 0.305 seconds.

ADVERTISEMENT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
All images on comic collector live copyright of their respective publishers. © Copyright 2008, MidTen Media Inc. GOLO231