Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Disappointed… the 'new' norm, or just my luck? Options
inhumanking
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 7:11:26 PM

Groups: Member

i've been around here for awhile, not as long as a few.
i've been buying comics (back issues) here for 6 years… with 3 pages of transactions, far less than some.
my total spent is probably between $1000 and 1500 (VERY rough guesstimate), far less than some.
i have been a 'monthly pull' customer of two different CCL sellers in the past (now with DCBS).
i use the wish list, and put the work in to finding the best deals.

maybe it's me, but recently it seems that my satisfaction with the total transaction experience has been lower than i'm used to.

here's where i'm coming from:

this month i placed 6 orders. of those 6:

- 5 orders had missing books (4 orders had 1 issue missing, one had 4 issues missing, and one issue received was from the incorrect volume)

of those 5:

- two sellers issued a refund prior to the package arriving, with no contact or message received IRT what was missing from the order

- one seller has issued a refund after i notified them of the missing issue

- one seller shipped the missing issue

- one seller (with 1 missing issue and the incorrect issue) replied to my PM that they would "double check to see what they can do"… that was six days ago.

the sixth order was complete. alas (and i realize at some point i'll just sound like a complainer) this order is from a seller that often has issues i want, and can't find anywhere else, but has a disclaimer amounting to 'grading is subjective and i have one glass eye and can't see outta' the other so my interpretation may not be the same as yours' and i hope they'll be decent copies, but… most of the time NOT.

these sellers are almost always very polite / courteous.
their CCL profiles often boast of the huge inventories they maintain, being collectors as-well-as sellers, their belief in customer service and welcome any questions should something be wrong with the order.

well, wtf. how about getting it right the first time with a little of that crazy 'attention to detail' i've heard about, where you know what's in your inventory and what's not… or some of that customer service that's rumored to go over so well with a PM saying 'i don't have this / these books you ordered';

i know, i know… if i'm not happy i can shop elsewhere, and there's feedback so i shouldn't be shocked…

but is this as good as it gets? anyone feel the same or am i just nuts?

to punctuate this whole thing, i ordered a GN from Amazon that wasn't available on CCL; 2 days later, the transaction was cancelled by the seller, 'Out of Stock'; so i quickly ordered from another seller; today? same thing… the transaction was cancelled by the seller, 'Out of Stock'; am i dreaming? so i'm on order # 3 now.

thanks for listening guys, just needed to vent.
comicscastle
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 7:48:02 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

You obviously didn't order from me. That was your first mistake. Shame on You

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Comic Cellar

Xylob
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 8:46:01 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

inhumanking wrote:
...i use the wish list, and put the work in to finding the best deals.
and it can be a lot of work... I just mentioned this in another thread earlier today.
Why would I buy from Mile High (or Lonestar) instead of from CCL? When I want to make a large purchase (I used to do it on a quarterly basis) it's faster, easier, and cheaper to do it elsewhere.

I'm sure everybody has a lot of opinions or theories about why this is, but I chalk a lot (no, not all) of it up to the fact that the site and software have stagnated for so incredibly long and that bad sellers were allowed to run rough-shod for so long.
Too many great sellers have left because CCL has gone from being a grand comic book marketplace to a sketchy flea market.
By the way, NO, that last comment is NOT meant to be a dig at any of the current sellers.
It's more like a 'This place used to be nice, but now half the lights are broken, the bathrooms have homeless people living in them, most of the stalls/shops are empty, and nobody has cleaned the floors in years' kind of vibe.

There's less selection now, and definitely less competition among sellers.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
freakdylan
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 9:20:42 PM

Just like any site that allows multiple sellers (atomic, CBR, ebay etc) you are going to have good sellers, bad sellers and all those inbetween.

I have only been here 2 years, but have 9 pages of orders with mixed results. I have a few sellers that I "TRUST" with the grading, and others that I know just list everything as NM no matter how bad the comic is. I even have had a few issues that I found to be overgraded sneak into the great sellers here, but I always just assume that anything I order will be slightly off. I assume that on all sites like CCL that dont have user pics of the comic but stock images.

***Shout out*** More sellers should be like CrossbowComics and add pics of the actual book you are buying.

I used to always come here 1st for any of my comic needs. Now i come here check my favorite 5 sellers, then if what i want is sold by someone not in my top 5 I go search elsewhere and only buy here if price is much cheaper or nobody else has it.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicsCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

CrossbowComics
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 12:00:20 AM

Shop at My Store

Thanks Dylan, your ***shout out*** has been noted. It's possible he's one step closer to placing his first Treehouse order.

Actually though, I only add scans for stuff that's $10 and up, if someone wants a scan for a 50 center they are sheet out of luck :)

Dylan you will be happy to know I'm working on a way to provide bigger & better scans, I left you a tiny hint in my sig, but you can't tell anyone - it's top secret. I can't tell you why it's top secret because that's a secret. It's so secret that I'm currently undercover as a fashion blog.

future home - TreehouseComicShop.com

MoonKnight1
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 7:20:47 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

There's a lot of mistakes that a Seller can make. Not sending the right number of books is perplexing.

After I get an order pulled and the box addressed the first thing I do before packing is count the number of comics in my hand and compare that to how many are on the invoice. If the numbers don't match that's my first clue that there may be a problem.

Very rarely I have had a problem locating an issue for whatever reason. Luckily I live within a few miles of 3 comic stores so I can usually find a replacement if the comic is common. One time I had to order a comic that I couldn't locate from another Seller here and had them send it to my customer.

I can only remember 2 times that I could never find the comic ordered. One time the problem was a listing error (my fault, I listed a wrong variant), I can't remember the exact circumstances of the other one but both times I felt terrible. I still didn't just send the order and hope the Buyer didn't notice. I contacted the person, explained the situation, apologized profusely and did whatever I could to make up for my error.

Hey, no one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. It's how you react to them that differentiates us. If you don't admit that you made a mistake then you actually compound it.

You are absolutely right about "attention to detail". That's probably why I am so slow at listing new comics!

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

evilskip42
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:04:00 AM

I'm going to throw my two cents in here.

I've had great success ordering from Doug at Crossbow and a few other dealers over the years here. But I've had a few experiences with others that were less than stellar and like an idiot I didn't leave mortal or villain feedback when it was easily deserved and that is on me for not doing so.

I know mistakes can be made and try to take that into consideration. If the seller corrects it or makes it acceptable then they are okay in my book. (Doug goes above and beyond on this aspect catching things like potential grading problems before the book is shipped).

Earlier this year I placed an order and got the discount refund immediately which was great. However it took two weeks before my books were even mailed.
It appeared that the package was put together and promptly forgotten until I sent a polite PM (Paypal shipping dates give it away every time). Didn't even get an explanation or heads up on it. Should have left appropriate feedback. My bad.

Grading...well I buy hoping that the grades are only off by one. I do suggest that folks take the book out of the bag and look at the back cover
because a vfnm doesn't include a back cover tear or fold. If only one out of 20 are like that I haven't complained in the past. I fall into that "well it was under a buck" rationalization. I don't want to be a jerk on a less than a buck book but after a while it tends to take the shine off.

It wouldn't hurt for some sellers to answer inquiries. I know there are a lot of jerks out there with nothing better to do than annoy sellers. But some of us are serious buyers and have questions that need to be answered before we gamble on you. A seller had a $20 book that I was interested in and stated that scans available upon request. So I sent a PM for a larger scan and waited for a week. Nothing. So I sent an email to their listed email address with another request. It has been three months and still nothing. (Yes, I went elsewhere for the books). I know the seller is still selling books as their feedback keeps changing.

Again my positive experiences far outweigh the bad here but ordering from a seller that is new to me does leave me with some concerns.
SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:35:56 AM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

inhumanking wrote:
anyone feel the same or am i just nuts?

You're not nuts and it's not a recent thing. And sending a refund with no communication is just f'ing unacceptable, but has happened to me a couple times.

It's why I started documenting the insane number of issues I have with CCL stores.

June 2013 orders

September 2013 orders

October 2013 orders

April 2014 orders

My orders have decreased because even though I have a nearly 1,200 item wish list, the store with the highest number of my items* only has 44.

*The highest number AND I would shop at. There are two stores with more, but there's no chance I'd shop at them (both absurd pricing and forum presence issues).

And I'm keeping a running summary, "Not including grading issues or found damaged upon pulling, of the last 46 orders, 25 have had problems due to poor seller inventory control. That's over 50% and the 25 problems occurred with 16 of 22 sellers."

"Words have meaning." - my wife
Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:45:50 AM

Shop at My Store

SwiftMann wrote:
inhumanking wrote:
anyone feel the same or am i just nuts?

You're not nuts and it's not a recent thing. And sending a refund with no communication is just f'ing unacceptable, but has happened to me a couple times.

It's why I started documenting the insane number of issues I have with CCL stores.

June 2013 orders

September 2013 orders

October 2013 orders

April 2014 orders

My orders have decreased because even though I have a nearly 1,200 item wish list, the store with the highest number of my items* only has 44.

*The highest number AND I would shop at. There are two stores with more, but there's no chance I'd shop at them (both absurd pricing and forum presence issues).

And I'm keeping a running summary, "Not including grading issues or found damaged upon pulling, of the last 46 orders, 25 have had problems due to poor seller inventory control. That's over 50% and the 25 problems occurred with 16 of 22 sellers."

Curious--what is "forum presence issues"?
SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:23:16 AM

Shop at My Store

Thundercron wrote:

A store/store owner/B&M employees who either through the forum or CRs shown (what is to me) grossly unprofessional behavior in dealing with me or others here.

And currently, both "forum presence issues" and absurd pricing define the two stores that have the most of my wishlist items.

Tamwood
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:24:40 AM

Oh, yeah. Outrageous pricing and/or shipping charges has made it difficult for me to hit a number of my wantlist issues.

In fact, 4 out of the top 8 wishlist inventory people here are people that I won't shop with unless I hit the lottery.
SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:46:07 AM

Shop at My Store

All this talk about stores and wishlists got me to find a store with enough stuff (14 issues), free shipping and a positive previous experience to buy from just now.

Let's see how it goes.

Xylob
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:38:53 AM

evilskip42 wrote:
...I've had a few experiences with others that were less than stellar and like an idiot I didn't leave mortal or villain feedback when it was easily deserved and that is on me for not doing so.

I know mistakes can be made and try to take that into consideration. If the seller corrects it or makes it acceptable then they are okay in my book...
Mistakes can be made. For me a lot of it has to do with "who" is the seller. If it's a store, like somebody who actually does this "for real", my expectations are higher and my feedback will reflect it. If it's obvious that it's just some dude like me with a ton of funny books wasting space in his basement I'll be much more reluctant to pull the trigger on bad feedback.

SwiftMann wrote:
...My orders have decreased because even though I have a nearly 1,200 item wish list, the store with the highest number of my items* only has 44.

*The highest number AND I would shop at. There are two stores with more, but there's no chance I'd shop at them (both absurd pricing and forum presence issues)...
THIS. Very much this. I did recently cut my wish list back by about a third, but it's still healthy sized and even the sellers with the biggest inventories have very little on my wishlist (of very common high print-run items).
Also, there are some people I'd simply rather not do business with because of their attitude &/or behaviour.

Tamwood wrote:
Oh, yeah. Outrageous pricing and/or shipping charges has made it difficult for me to hit a number of my wantlist issues.

In fact, 4 out of the top 8 wishlist inventory people here are people that I won't shop with unless I hit the lottery.
And then there's this.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

CrossbowComics
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 12:31:47 PM

Shop at My Store

evilskip42 wrote:
I'm going to throw my two cents in here.

I've had great success ordering from Doug at Crossbow and a few other dealers over the years here. But I've had a few experiences with others that were less than stellar and like an idiot I didn't leave mortal or villain feedback when it was easily deserved and that is on me for not doing so.

I know mistakes can be made and try to take that into consideration. If the seller corrects it or makes it acceptable then they are okay in my book. (Doug goes above and beyond on this aspect catching things like potential grading problems before the book is shipped).

Earlier this year I placed an order and got the discount refund immediately which was great. However it took two weeks before my books were even mailed.
It appeared that the package was put together and promptly forgotten until I sent a polite PM (Paypal shipping dates give it away every time). Didn't even get an explanation or heads up on it. Should have left appropriate feedback. My bad.

Grading...well I buy hoping that the grades are only off by one. I do suggest that folks take the book out of the bag and look at the back cover
because a vfnm doesn't include a back cover tear or fold. If only one out of 20 are like that I haven't complained in the past. I fall into that "well it was under a buck" rationalization. I don't want to be a jerk on a less than a buck book but after a while it tends to take the shine off.

It wouldn't hurt for some sellers to answer inquiries. I know there are a lot of jerks out there with nothing better to do than annoy sellers. But some of us are serious buyers and have questions that need to be answered before we gamble on you. A seller had a $20 book that I was interested in and stated that scans available upon request. So I sent a PM for a larger scan and waited for a week. Nothing. So I sent an email to their listed email address with another request. It has been three months and still nothing. (Yes, I went elsewhere for the books). I know the seller is still selling books as their feedback keeps changing.

Again my positive experiences far outweigh the bad here but ordering from a seller that is new to me does leave me with some concerns.

IMO Brett's had a big impact here, sometimes listing 1000+ books a day + almost all at VFNM and 98 cents. It worked, he quickly became the top seller & had great feedback. As a result, a lot of sellers copied that strategy, just take a stack of books, call them VFNM and watch the sales roll in. I'm ok with it as long as the buyer realizes that when 90% of a store's books are VFNM it's going to be a crapshoot.

Don responded to Brett's by dropping everything to 50 cents, that was spring of 2010 I think, a lot of my customers bolted & started buying from them. They are both gone but in their wake we are left with the giant dollar bin that CCL is today.

future home - TreehouseComicShop.com

BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:07:24 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

CrossbowComics wrote:
They are both gone but in their wake we are left with the giant dollar bin that CCL is today.

I'm not complaining. Big Grin

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
freakdylan
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:19:58 PM

SwiftMann wrote:
Thundercron wrote:

A store/store owner/B&M employees who either through the forum or CRs shown (what is to me) grossly unprofessional behavior in dealing with me or others here.

That would be me, if I had a store here, lol

All kidding aside, my problem is I hate leaving negative feedback. For example I bought from a store here who was selling a $50 book in NM condition which was a spot on price. When the book arrived the back cover was severely water damaged. I contacted the seller and he gave me a huge refund, so I left positive.

Well a few months later ordered from same seller, this time 3-4 $20 books all in NM condition. Again all arrived far from NM and seller gave huge refund. So yet again I left positive feedback.

Now 2 or 3 weeks ago I saw this seller had 3 books on my wish list. Now they were cheap ($10) for all 3. However I almost never order anything unless I get free shipping so added $15 more in books I didnt need but figured would find some use for. Well yet again all books arrived in less then stated condition. In fact the 3 books I placed entire order for were in such bad shape I essentially threw them away and re-added those books to my wish list.

So here is my delima, do I message seller and get refund then leave positive. Or just eat the $25 and leave negative and maybe get this guy to start grading his books better.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicsCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Xylob
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:21:39 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
CrossbowComics wrote:
They are both gone but in their wake we are left with the giant dollar bin that CCL is today.

I'm not seeing it.
More like a giant $12 each bin.
Again, that's based on my own wish list though.

Problems with CCL?
615-264-4747

Xylob's Most Wanted:

Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:38:08 PM

Shop at My Store

freakdylan wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:
Thundercron wrote:

All kidding aside, my problem is I hate leaving negative feedback. For example I bought from a store here who was selling a $50 book in NM condition which was a spot on price. When the book arrived the back cover was severely water damaged. I contacted the seller and he gave me a huge refund, so I left positive.

Well a few months later ordered from same seller, this time 3-4 $20 books all in NM condition. Again all arrived far from NM and seller gave huge refund. So yet again I left positive feedback.

Now 2 or 3 weeks ago I saw this seller had 3 books on my wish list. Now they were cheap ($10) for all 3. However I almost never order anything unless I get free shipping so added $15 more in books I didnt need but figured would find some use for. Well yet again all books arrived in less then stated condition. In fact the 3 books I placed entire order for were in such bad shape I essentially threw them away and re-added those books to my wish list.

So here is my delima, do I message seller and get refund then leave positive. Or just eat the $25 and leave negative and maybe get this guy to start grading his books better.

Message the seller and call him out on it. Point out the history you have with him--that every order has books overgraded. Not just a book here or there--but almost every book, every time. It'd be interesting to see what he says.
wpmcclure
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:00:12 PM

Xylob wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
CrossbowComics wrote:

I'm not seeing it.
More like a giant $12 each bin.
Again, that's based on my own wish list though.

Dude what is on your wishlist?

I see the $1 bin here because my wishlist is full of sleeper comics...just waiting to bust out and make me RICH!!! haha...yeah...no. No my wishlist is full of comics nobody else wants...just the way it should be... Laughing

wpmcclure
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:13:21 PM

Thundercron wrote:
freakdylan wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:
Thundercron wrote:

Message the seller and call him out on it. Point out the history you have with him--that every order has books overgraded. Not just a book here or there--but almost every book, every time. It'd be interesting to see what he says.

How is he still in business if he keeps refunding for every comics he sends? Especially ones that are $10 plus? Who is this seller??? I know you can't say, but you should so I can avoid that store, after all it's your civic duty to help another fellow comic buying citizen out.

Actually I just gave my first Villain rating to a seller a couple of days ago because of the crap he sent, the lack of any care and thought that went into packing and shipping, and the NO communication he gave after I complained! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!! ...I am still peeved can ya tell?

There are only a handful of sellers on this site that have both selection (concerning my wishlist) and customer service. What we need is another feature that will never get built. A separate rating...one simply for the order, then one for the overall experience. Could be a great seller but if that seller constantly forgets books or on average has sub-par grading skills then at least you can review that history and make a judgement call on whether you want to buy from that seller or not. Could be an honest and fair seller but if he refunds all the time mainly due to grading, or missing books, or horrible packaging, or his dog ate it, maybe just move onto the next seller...you get it right, Corey, tell me I'm right, right???