Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Collecting » Collecting, General Discussion » Wal-Mart Exclusive DC 100 Page Giants
kingmike74
Thursday, July 12, 2018 7:49:39 PM
Groups: Member
Any idea on what the secondary market will be for the next few months? I found all issues except for the the Teen Titans, really hate to pay $20 on eBay, would rather wait but now sure of the looking value of it
bluedevil2002
Thursday, July 12, 2018 9:37:24 PM
My impression of the secondary market is that it's another case on ebay where people have more money than brains.
Thundercron
Friday, July 13, 2018 12:14:07 AM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I think Wal Mart carrying monthly titles with all new stories by top creators is what the industry desperately needs to attract new readers. I just hope speculators don't ruin it for everybody. On the other hand, if speculators snatch up all the copies, then the program will be considered a resounding success, and maybe print runs will increase and the program will be expanded.
kingmike74
Friday, July 13, 2018 7:14:47 AM
bluedevil2002 wrote:
My impression of the secondary market is that it's another case on ebay where people have more money than brains.

I do not mind 10 bucks for the Batman I bought for my boy. Like I said I found 3 of the 4 for myself and hope the 18-20 dollar price tag on the Teen Titans book comes down. What's the deal with it anyway, just short packed?
Kingsman
Friday, July 13, 2018 9:38:31 AM
Shop at My Store
I know in my area, many of the Facebook Marketplace sellers caught wind of them and cleared the displays of them. I did find a few, stray copies available that were damaged. To the Facebook Marketplace sellers credit, it appears that they sold all of their copies for $15-20 each.
lcfrick
Friday, July 13, 2018 5:10:25 PM
It'd been a while since I made a road trip to hit up some things in the area, so when I found out about these last night, I figured I'd go ahead and go to all the Walmarts in the area and see if I could get a copy of each (Batman and Justice League are must haves for me and I'm a bit curious about Brian Michael Bendis on Superman, so I figured I'd get that one too... and if I'm getting three I might as well get all four.)

Couldn't find them at the first two stores and the employees had no idea what I was talking about. At the third store the employee I asked was absolutely determined to find out what I was talking about and he was finally able to find out where they were (for anyone else looking for them, they're in the section with sports and Pokemon packs/cards, which is usually next to the registers near the grocery/pharmacy entrance).

That third store had Batman, Justice League, and Superman and since it was so easy I figured "Why not, I'll see if I can find the Teen Titans one too."

The last one turned out not to be that easy, since I went to nine more stores and the last one on my list before I finally found a copy of it (and it was pretty wavy too, it'll probably flatten it out, but I didn't get it to sell it on that auction site anyway).

It does look like that this just the beginning and there are going to be subsequent exclusive issues with additional original story content... which I'm not terribly thrilled about... but if they're any good, I'll probably pick them up (though just scale back to only Batman and maybe Justice League rather than all of them).
monidaw1
Friday, July 13, 2018 6:38:17 PM
Shop at My Store
Quote:
I think Wal Mart carrying monthly titles with all new stories by top creators is what the industry desperately needs to attract new readers.

Assuming they actually attract new readers, they're attracting new readers with preinstalled unrealistic expectations when they search out a comic shop and see how few pages they are going to get for $3.99 compared to what they just got accustomed to paying for.

A second point is the secondary market isn't going anywhere. The average book I looked at for Superman on E-Bay yesterday was selling for less than cover price suggesting they were purchased by people with Walmart employee discounts or flat out stolen. There was even pictures of entire displays now in actual comic book stores where it appears someone just walked in and bought the entire display, display box and all. Someone said they were only going out to about 3,000 of the 5,000 Walmarts and Walmarts in general don't service a lot of huge markets.

Another thought is if they can put out 100 pages for a cover price of $4.99 regularly for Walmart, they should be able to supply the rest of us with product at similar price per page ranges. It feels like we're being slapped in the face by DC and the main titles are being over charged for.

If they were going to do something, it should have been something like those Archie/Marvel digests that were offered to both markets so everyone has a chance to have them at similar pricing. They're forcing people with limited budgets to take money away from the direct market to chase the issues they have to have at Walmarts and continually waste time and gas trying to find copies and routinely having to shop the secondary markets for the one's the missed. They could have also just continued the push they made last year with the 1st of the Rebirth Trades.

Diamond is starting a program to try and get stores to get into the newsstand business by discounting spin racks that will be placed in other businesses and stocked. A simple jumping onto that program by offering an additional discount or incentive for DC comics purchased by those retailers to encourage a broader reach shouldn't have been a problem if they can give them out to Walmart at the price these are going out. If not an extra discount then maybe some type of delayed billing for books in the program like Marvel's doing with their #1's right now to encourage extra purchasing. (If you missed it the opt in for Delayed Billing on Fantastic Four #1 is on the FOC list for this Monday.)
lcfrick
Friday, July 13, 2018 8:40:37 PM
monidaw1 wrote:
[quote]Another thought is if they can put out 100 pages for a cover price of $4.99 regularly for Walmart, they should be able to supply the rest of us with product at similar price per page ranges. It feels like we're being slapped in the face by DC and the main titles are being over charged for.

A minor counterpoint to this is that there are only 12 pages of new story in each of the issues, ~66 pages of reprints, 6 pages of title and setup between the stories, plus ~14 pages of ads (all of them for DC tradepaperbacks). So they're not paying writers/artists/etc as much as they would to put out a regular issue. Unfortunately this does mean it's absolutely horrible value for people who already have the reprinted issues. $4.99 (Well, technically they rang up as $4.98 for me today), for 12 pages of story? I'm sure someday that will seem like a great value, but not so much today.

It reminds me of the 100 page Monsters that Marvel put out in 2000, Amazing Spider-man was $2.25 cover price at the time, but the 100 page Monster was only $2.99 cover price. It had the regular story, plus several reprinted stories in it.

Maybe it will still skew the value for people who have never read the reprinted issues, but they are moderately up front about there being reprints in the issue. And on the downside it'll be really annoying for people like me who need to get the entire story of a character. (Also, turns out the Superman story isn't Brian Michael Bendis, if I had realized that sooner, I probably would have just gotten JLA/Batman, but oh well.)
MoonKnight1
Sunday, July 15, 2018 1:22:05 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I went and pillaged two of the local Wal-Marts on Friday. I didn't clean them out (except for the Teen Titans book which I got 4 of Devil ) but I did end up spending almost 100 bucks.

Yeah, the store employees had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for help finding them. One person said, "We don't sell comic books". So I replied, "Maybe you didn't sell comics but you do now". I asked several people at each store and they were all clueless.

The first one I went to I intuitively looked in the Books and Magazines section thinking that might be where they were located. Nope! Then I checked the Toys section. Nada. I was about to leave but I also needed something for a baby shower (found a sweet pink Supergirl t-shirt for the soon to be born baby girl) and while standing in the checkout line I finally spotted them. Yes, they were over with the trading cards right up front by the registers. They were in a really nice display box.

The second store I went to I immediately went to that area to find them. No luck so I figured they might be putting them somewhere different than the other one. No luck in Books/Magazines or Toys again so I was about to head out. Took one last look at the Yu-Gi-Oh aisle and sure enough, there they were. This time however there was no display and they were just piled up unceremoniously on a top shelf. In addition to the Giant's they also had several DC Showcase Magazines with reprints of various recent comics. I wonder if those are Wal-Mart exclusives as well? Confused

Quality. Consistency. Variety. Reliable. Fair. Friendly

Howie's Saying of the Week

Expect the best, plan for the worst, and prepare to be surprised - Denis Waitley
monidaw1
Monday, July 16, 2018 1:49:49 PM
Shop at My Store
I found some in Farmville this morning by the trading cards, they rang up $4.98 also. I was not impressed by them at all. The new storys were short and appear to be non continuity. The New 52 reprint blips take you to a page with the names of the graphic novels you need to buy to find out what happens. They did include a newer title like Terrifics or Sideways at the backs but with no obvious mention of where to continue the stories I'm not sure what the point is. Most copies had some degree of damage and the extra Teen Titan was badly curled and had multiple tears along the bottom. Many of the other titles were in similar condition. Apparently a lot of people are just picking the whole display up and taking it to the register like a box of ramin noodles (Pork Flavor). As it was I had to watch the cashier like a hawk so she didn't damage them even more trying to scan the back of every single copy.

DC is a multimedia company. I'd kill to see some type of cross media coordination that would say take the 5 hit tv shows, and suppliment them with 60 comics a year, one a month for each named after the same season the show is on, telling content in continuity with the tv shows and maybe getting the shows to occasionally reference things that happened in the comic. If they can put out 20+ episodes of a show, 12 comics doesn't seem like a big hurdle. People who watch the show would have something to look forward to between seasons and during the long breaks they seem to take in the middle of seasons. 5 new Trades a year to collect each seasons offerings with maybe a bio or two of a cast member or comic book history of the tv show character included. Maybe even bundle the trades with the Blue Ray complete seasons so we spend more than $10 a season on Black Friday.

There's an entire row I just mostly emptied where Vertigo used to be. Now that Vertigo's about dead it would make a great space filler and offer a way for DC to get more of the people who are only watching for free to stop by and spend a little and maybe while they're here they get enticed into something from the Regular DC comic universe. Don't wait until Smallville Season 11. Start now while the fan base is engaged and might be interested.

On the giants again, I didn't see Walmarts name or any Walmart specific advertising in or on the books glancing through. If that's the case I don't see why the same press that's cranking out copies for Walmart can't crank out another batch to ship to Diamond even if Diamond has to list them "I, K or L Code".

There was a full page ad with the comicshoplocater service in the back of the book so if you want to start paying Diamond to be listed, you might get a new face or two to show up.
lcfrick
Saturday, August 18, 2018 7:50:40 PM
So the schedule is supposed to be that Superman and Justice League will be released on the 1st week of the month and Batman and Teen Titans the 3rd week of the month.

Has anyone narrowed down what the actual release dates are for August for the 2nd issues?

I know I checked Friday August 3rd several Walmarts and none had the Superman/Justice League 2nd issues and I checked today and none had the Batman/Teen Titans 2nd issues. (Superman/Justice League came in at some point between the two times I checked.)

Does 1st and 3rd week mean the 1st and 3rd full week? And what day of the week? At least with LCS I know the exact date, so it's not a problem, but I'd really prefer to limit how often I have to go to Walmart. (At least I've decided I'm only going to be picking up the Batman one from here one out.)
firecop322
Friday, August 31, 2018 9:47:14 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
I just want to say thank you to those who pointed out where the books are located in the stores. I had been scouring the book and magazine sections also. I've picked up the first two issues of Superman and Batman. I've enjoyed the new stories, as short as they are, and rereading the older stories that are being reprinted.
Kevinbruns
Thursday, September 06, 2018 2:20:24 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
Just throwing this out there for those who have stores who are stocking these.

Superman and JLA #3 should be (according to a post on twitter) in stores on the 9th. Will be interesting to see how they handle the overflow of existing stock. I still see copies of #1 and the 1st wave of #2s all over the place.
monidaw1
Thursday, September 06, 2018 6:23:40 AM
Shop at My Store
As far as I know the only way for other stores to stock them is to go to Walmart and directly buy them which some apparently did and I even have a full set of #1 all 4 issues on hand for sale just because I wanted to see what they were. I can't see myself ever buying another "new" issue off the rack at Walmart full price again. I don't even think I'd be interested in them off the "Clearence" aisle at Walmart discounted. The limited amount of new material will most likely be collected into trade paperbacks at some point down the road which will make reading it easier and a lot cheaper.

I also expect to start seeing lower grade copies people have read start to show up mixed in bundles and boxes of comics people bring by the store to sell when they need a little clutter reduction or extra cash.