Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Sports » 2018 NCAA Football
jbeeman85
Thursday, August 23, 2018 10:30:42 AM
Groups: Member
We are closing in on kickoff to the 2018 season.

I always get excited and anxious for the college football season. Sadly, the last few years, I've been beaten down pretty bad watching my Tennessee Volunteers struggle to even get to a bowl game. Long gone are the consistent top 15 teams of the 90's.

New coach with my Vols, hoping it works out. Got to stay healthy. Main issue with last year were all the injuries. I will be heading out to Knoxville in week 3 as the Vols take on UTEP (hopefully that goes okay, a loss makes for an extremely long drive home).

A bit of an oddity here. I have a friend that is an Alabama fan (at my limit of Alabama fans that I am social with). Despite being an Alabama fan, he has football season tickets to Vanderbilt, Tennessee, and Auburn. Guess the Tennessee and Auburn tickets could turn a profit on, only thing I can really think of as a reason to get them.
jbeeman85
Thursday, August 23, 2018 10:33:14 AM
So, how many of you are excited for the season ?

Are you like me and still believe that your team could make a title run despite what the last decade has shown you ?

What teams loyalties we got out there ? I'm a big Tennessee Volunteers fan.
MoonKnight1
Thursday, August 30, 2018 1:45:11 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
University of Virginia Cavaliers.

The only reason really is that I went to high school in Louisa County less than an hour from Charlottesville and UVA was all over TV and radio. My HS was divided between UVA and Virginia Tech by maybe 60/40. To be honest I never attended the college nor have any of my relatives but two brothers, my mom and my girlfriend all went to Tech, which I forgive them for. Big Grin I'm too old to change loyalties. Waiting

I never expect the Cavs to challenge for the national title. It's just not realistic. The system is set up so that there are only 10-12 teams who can challenge for it each year and only maybe a half dozen with a realistic shot. This is all due to the stupid preseason polls. (VT ranked #20? Time Out Chip!)

I don't like how they try to project rankings based on the previous year. You're always going to have a lot of turnover in college football because of graduation, the NFL draft and incoming freshmen not to mention changes in the coaching staff so how in the hell can you predict rankings before games even start?

The first poll shouldn't come out until 2-3 weeks in, after the cupcakes have been feasted upon.

For the Cavs I'm hoping that they build upon last years semi-successful season. They started out 5-1 and finished 1-5. Qualified for a Bowl but got torpedoed by Navy. They are having offensive line issues but that could be solved by creative play calling and the new QB (Bryce Perkins) can run pretty well so hopefully that won't be much of an issue.

I really just want them to be above .500, challenge for an ACC championship and go to/win a bowl game.

Oh, and BEAT TECH!!!!!!!Angry Anxious Pray Angry Devil Loser

Quality. Consistency. Variety. Reliable. Fair. Friendly

Howie's Saying of the Week

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new - Dalai Lama
MoonKnight1
Saturday, September 08, 2018 12:50:49 PM
Shop at My Store
What's the over/under on Hokie fake injuries today? Devil

I must have missed them hiring Neymar to coach proper flopping technique. Big Grin

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new - Dalai Lama
jbeeman85
Friday, September 14, 2018 7:33:57 PM
Hey Howie, your Virginia Cavaliers home stadium is apparently Vanderbilt Stadium. Free admission. If I wasn't going to be coming back from Knoxville around that time, I would totally be there.
MoonKnight1
Saturday, September 15, 2018 10:21:03 AM
Shop at My Store
Yeah, I saw that earlier this week and meant to say something. Good luck against the Miners today!

Funny thing is that the weather in Charlottesville looks like it might be decent this afternoon. Certainly much less rain than last week against Indiana.

I do understand why they moved it. At the time the forecast was calling for 1-2 feet of rain and 70+ MPH winds. Plus their rationalization was that the emergency personnel required for the game would be needed elsewhere (State Police, Ambulances, EMT's, etc.).

Go Hoos!!! Dancing

jbeeman85
Saturday, September 15, 2018 8:55:49 PM
Well, congrats to your Cavaliers Howie. Seems a massive crowd of about 6,000 showed up, which is roughly the average Vandy fan attendance for home games.
MoonKnight1
Sunday, September 16, 2018 7:38:49 AM
Shop at My Store
6,000 eh? They must have counted everyone twice. Straight Face

MoonKnight1
Sunday, September 16, 2018 10:19:39 AM
Shop at My Store
I've got to get this off my chest. Some of this language may be salty.

Urban Meyer is a huge, lying, gutless POS. Watching him sitting there lying in the face of Tom Rinaldi on SportsCenter this morning makes me want to throw up in my own mouth.

How in the world can he expect anyone to believe that his wife knew about Zach Smith (another giant bag of crap) beating his wife repeatedly, including choking her up against a wall while she was pregnant but didn't tell him about it? Completely farcical and a bald faced lie.

How can you justify covering up for a scumbag that beats his wife, gets caught drinking and driving, has sex toys delivered to his office on campus, has sex with interns in said office (while still married), takes a dick-pic in the White House and frankly wasn't even that good of a coach? What does that a-hole have on Urban that would cause that sanctimonious, hypocritical ass-for-brains to keep sweeping allegations against and offenses by Smith under the rug?

I have lost whatever scrap of respect I might have ever had of him and I wish that the Suckeyes lose every single game that that woman beater enabler coaches. I guarantee you that if he was going 6-5 every year and losing in the Carquest/Emerald/Poulan Weedeater Bowl to a MAC team then the OSU braintrust would have had no trouble cutting him loose.

I am just disgusted.

lcfrick
Sunday, September 16, 2018 11:00:10 AM
MoonKnight1 wrote:
I have lost whatever scrap of respect I might have ever had of him and I wish that the Suckeyes lose every single game that that woman beater enabler coaches. I guarantee you that if he was going 6-5 every year and losing in the Carquest/Emerald/Poulan Weedeater Bowl to a MAC team then the OSU braintrust would have had no trouble cutting him loose.

And this right here is exactly what sums up perfectly professional sports. Does a person's bad press worth their on-field performance? Clearly Ohio State thinks that Meyer does, despite being a worthless piece of trash off the field.

And it's easy to find the hypocrisy where ever you look (warning, because I'm an NFL fan and not really a college fan, those are going to be my examples).

The Ravens released Ray Rice as soon as the elevator video came out because suddenly his on the field performance didn't outweigh his PR trouble. (And remember that up until that point, his on the field play DID outweigh his legal troubles, because the Ravens were standing by him before that.) The Ravens then instituted a policy of no more players/coaches on the team that have problems with domestic abuse.

Fast-forward to this past year when Jimmy Smith was accused by his ex of domestic abuse, which led to a 4 game suspension for him. What do the Ravens do? They stand by Jimmy Smith assuring everyone that he is dedicated to change. Why? Because even though this goes contrary to their policy, Jimmy Smith is one of the best CBs in the league and releasing him would be a huge hit to the team's on-field play relative to his legal troubles.

Frankly that's the easiest defense in the world for the NFL in the Colin Kaepernick collusion case. Just point to every single example of a player with bad PR and getting dumped the moment that the bad PR outweighed his play and say that Kaep is just the most recent case of that. (That and it doesn't really help that, A) Kaep opted out of his 49ers contract B) Declined a paycut to be traded to Denver C) Was on the verge of signing with the Ravens when his girlfriend called Ray Lewis an Uncle Tom.)

The only way this is going to change is if actual fans of sports team tell the teams that they care more about off the field scumbaggery like this than on the field performance. We have to remember these are businesses and the people who run them treat them as such. Everything is an asset and once it's no longer valuable, then and only then do they get rid of it.
jbeeman85
Saturday, September 22, 2018 8:07:38 PM
I hate Florida.

That's about as nice as I can be without getting banned.
MoonKnight1
Saturday, September 22, 2018 9:44:06 PM
Shop at My Store
jbeeman85 wrote:
I hate Florida.

That's about as nice as I can be without getting banned.

Do you guys have another Quarterback? I watched the first quarter and the dude in there didn't look that good.

jbeeman85
Saturday, September 22, 2018 9:59:21 PM
Got a couple. Chryst a graduate transfer from Stanford and a couple highly rated recruits that haven't played. Need a flippin offensive line. And have at least one bounce go Tennessee's way for once against these fudgers.
MoonKnight1
Monday, September 24, 2018 1:17:03 PM
Shop at My Store
UVA looked great against Louisville! Dancing

Always been a big fan of the Old Dominion University Monarchs. Big Grin