Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » DC Comics » DC Streamlines Their Timeline - Your Thoughts?

DC Streamlines Their Timeline - Your Thoughts?

MoonKnight1
Thursday, October 10, 2019 6:41:07 AM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
DC Unveils New Timeline For Comic Book Universe

Dawn of the Heroic Age - Wonder Woman arrives from Themyscira

Space Age - Superman debuts

Age of Crisis - 1985-2011

The Flashpoint - 2011-Present

Quote:
“We’re starting to figure out how continuity works,” DiDio said

Do you think they nailed it? Where does the Legion of Superheroes fit in?

Superman first appeared in 1938 and Wonder Woman in 1941. The "Space Age" went for about 50 years, "Age of Crisis" went 26. Still processing...Confused Think

Howie's Saying of the Week

A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else - Bette Davis

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
lcfrick
Thursday, October 10, 2019 10:11:04 AM
Groups: Member
I guess... that technically clears things up, but in a completely worthless sort of way?

So, four categories.

Things that happened before Superman appeared.

Things that happened after Superman appeared, but before Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Things that happened after Crisis on Infinite Earths, but before Flashpoint.

Things that happened after Flashpoint.

I'm pretty sure everyone who even half-heartedly reads DC comics kind of already figured that one out.

A more useful timeline would have been if DC is still using the "Super-heroes debuted 5 years ago from whatever day today is" timeline or if they're gone back to "10 years ago". Because from the article, it looks like they're completely conflated "5 years ago" with real time.
bluedevil2002
Thursday, October 10, 2019 8:37:41 PM
I think it's a case of good idea, misguided execution.

The problem is that the pre-Flashpoint DCU timeline was starting to get broken because creators weren't paying attention. Look at Geoff Johns on Superman (Action Comics run circa 2008) -- he just tried to force the 70's sensibilities on the modern Superman, even though a lot of those characters and/or concepts had either already been reintroduced or didn't fit with what was going on.

This just makes it harder to create a fluid throughline of any given character's history.
SwiftMann
Thursday, October 10, 2019 10:04:43 PM
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
That's not a timeline, it's just a statement of facts.

I don't think any comic fan was mystified about when a comic takes place in those 4 eras. More Didio DC non-news to me.
MoonKnight1
Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:30:07 AM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
This part of the article keeps jumping out to me:
Quote:
The audience was then briefly shown a detailed timeline — too detailed to be legible onscreen — of the entire DC continuity

Wondering if at some point they will produce a detailed timeline that is legible.

The first time I looked into this my thought was, "They say the timeline has been 'streamlined' but has it been?"
Maybe when Doomsday Clock concludes everything will be sorted out...Straight Face

Howie's Saying of the Week

A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else - Bette Davis

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
lcfrick
Tuesday, October 15, 2019 2:08:19 PM
MoonKnight1 wrote:
Maybe when Doomsday Clock concludes everything will be sorted out...Straight Face

Bwuahahahahahaha!

Oh wait, you're serious? Let me laugh even harder!

BWUAHAHAHAHAHA!

I know you were joking, but seriously, has DC ever had a single continuity reboot/retcon and been clear about what is and isn't canon afterwards? New 52 was such a mess because of that. Maybe Crisis on Infinite Earths since NOTHING was canon after that.

I may not be the biggest Grant Morrison fan, but I totally respect his pre-Flashpoint attempt to basically say that every Batman comic ever published was canon and he was going to make it work.