Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Collecting » Collecting, General Discussion » Metropolis and their grading
11 pages: First ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11
SpidermanGeek
Monday, August 09, 2010 7:53:15 AM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator
Location: Orleans, Ontario
Joined: 5/9/2007 | Posts: 8,584 | Points: 44,382
Update on good old FGG from August 6th.

"Brian Maton" wrote:
HI GANG!

IT FEELS LIKE...STARTING OVER

I'm actually starting over with my collection, and starting to enjoy comics again.
I had lost everything I liked about comics from trying to be a dealer, to grading my
comics, to looking at them as money rather than as something I enjoy reading.
So now, I am at the bare bottom of my collection, as I once was, and am doing it
the way I enjoy, not how someone else says it should be or for the money. Now
it's like it was when I was a kid, just for reading.. but I still have to have top notch
condition comics. I just refuse to grade them.
Yes, I bought my mylites, and my mylars. My collection will now be purely mint
copies that look great in those sleeves. No more CGC, PGX, or whatever. I don't
trust some idiot to grade a comic. Why is his opinion better than mine? I'm
wasting $30.00 (more or less) a pop on their opinion, rather then buying high
grade copies for my collection. And, by the way, the comics look MUCH BETTER
in a mylar than a stupid CGC case any day.
I broke out all my comics and will buy comics online and also at shows that
are CGC or PGX, but when I get home, they are being set free and I will put them
in mylar. Also, no more reading copies for me. Why waste the money. I will read
my high-grade copies (I've been collecting for 44 years, so I think I can hold a
comic without damaging it). Yes folks, enough is enough. I'm not selling my
comics anymore, so what I have is mine and my knowledge of grading is just as
good or better than CGC. I wish more people would feel like this and let's see an
end to the comic grading scam.
I was one of the first people who had a comic graded by CGC. It was 2000 and
I thought that it was a really interesting idea. It is.. the restoration check is good.
But, hey... I'm not losing that. Because, I am going to pop the stuff out of the
container, evaluate it myself, then grade it accordingly. I am truly starting over
with my collection and I am really enjoying my comic collection again.. finally.


Well holy crap... imagine that!


Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.


I haz a Blog
comicscastle
Monday, August 09, 2010 8:39:40 AM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member
Location: New Jersey
Joined: 1/30/2008 | Posts: 15,527 | Points: 435,127
SpidermanGeek wrote:
Update on good old FGG from August 6th.

"Brian Maton" wrote:
HI GANG!

IT FEELS LIKE...STARTING OVER

I'm actually starting over with my collection, and starting to enjoy comics again.
I had lost everything I liked about comics from trying to be a dealer, to grading my
comics, to looking at them as money rather than as something I enjoy reading.
So now, I am at the bare bottom of my collection, as I once was, and am doing it
the way I enjoy, not how someone else says it should be or for the money. Now
it's like it was when I was a kid, just for reading.. but I still have to have top notch
condition comics. I just refuse to grade them.
Yes, I bought my mylites, and my mylars. My collection will now be purely mint
copies that look great in those sleeves. No more CGC, PGX, or whatever. I don't
trust some idiot to grade a comic. Why is his opinion better than mine? I'm
wasting $30.00 (more or less) a pop on their opinion, rather then buying high
grade copies for my collection. And, by the way, the comics look MUCH BETTER
in a mylar than a stupid CGC case any day.
I broke out all my comics and will buy comics online and also at shows that
are CGC or PGX, but when I get home, they are being set free and I will put them
in mylar. Also, no more reading copies for me. Why waste the money. I will read
my high-grade copies (I've been collecting for 44 years, so I think I can hold a
comic without damaging it). Yes folks, enough is enough. I'm not selling my
comics anymore, so what I have is mine and my knowledge of grading is just as
good or better than CGC. I wish more people would feel like this and let's see an
end to the comic grading scam.
I was one of the first people who had a comic graded by CGC. It was 2000 and
I thought that it was a really interesting idea. It is.. the restoration check is good.
But, hey... I'm not losing that. Because, I am going to pop the stuff out of the
container, evaluate it myself, then grade it accordingly. I am truly starting over
with my collection and I am really enjoying my comic collection again.. finally.


Well holy crap... imagine that!
Just think of all the time and money he could have saved if he had listened to us in the first place. With all the money he could have saved he might be a millionaire by now.


The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-AKA Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Comic Cellar--Hall of Heroes--Swifty's Olde Tyme Comic Shoppe


HeroComics
Monday, August 09, 2010 6:59:27 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Chicago\Michigan
Joined: 7/9/2007 | Posts: 1,089 | Points: 17,458
Shop at My Store
I've been away for a while... sorry I missed this but...

...if you are bad you should be forced to READ THIS THREAD!!!

It's the GOLD that HURTS!!!
patn2008
Monday, August 09, 2010 8:28:32 PM
Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member, Subscriber
Location: Bakersfield, Ca.
Joined: 4/20/2008 | Posts: 641 | Points: 2,467
dunleavy75
Monday, August 09, 2010 8:47:58 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member
Location: south/central/east/west PA
Joined: 9/2/2008 | Posts: 12,241 | Points: 39,744
All I can say is... Laughing Laughing Laughing




Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
SwiftMann
Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:34:04 AM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller
Location: PA
Joined: 4/19/2007 | Posts: 12,619 | Points: 2,272,283
Shop at My Store
patn2008 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WplcigI9SHo


Freakin' gold!
padreglcc
Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:02:51 AM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host
Location: Bangor, Michigan
Joined: 5/6/2007 | Posts: 5,307 | Points: 591,893
SwiftMann wrote:
patn2008 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WplcigI9SHo


Freakin' gold!


I love the video's caption: "Brian Maton, comic expert..."
“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.

Need help? Feel free to contact one of the Moderators or Approvers.
Mick77
Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:29:21 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member
Location: Midwest
Joined: 3/11/2008 | Posts: 1,352 | Points: 4,056
epic


My Uncle George Pierce 02/22/2012

Spread the word on Parkinson's Disease, help to find a cure!
!
scotteaves
Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:48:44 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, Guru, Member, Subscriber
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Joined: 6/24/2008 | Posts: 6,043 | Points: 445,719
Mick77 wrote:
epic


Yeah, epic FAIL!
HeroComics
Wednesday, September 01, 2010 8:38:39 AM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Location: Chicago\Michigan
Joined: 7/9/2007 | Posts: 1,089 | Points: 17,458
Shop at My Store
scotteaves wrote:
Mick77 wrote:
epic


Yeah, epic FAIL!


LOL... Brian is my favorite Elseworlds character...
En_Sabah_Nur
Wednesday, September 01, 2010 1:28:26 PM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member
Location: FL
Joined: 6/5/2007 | Posts: 4,014 | Points: 12,178
Wow...

This thread has been fantastic, utterly hilarious.

This Brian Maton guy... what is there to say?

What a colossal loser. D'oh
isalazar
Wednesday, September 01, 2010 9:25:28 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member
Location: Canada
Joined: 4/26/2008 | Posts: 1,034 | Points: 160,033
SpidermanGeek wrote:
Update on good old FGG from August 6th.

"Brian Maton" wrote:
HI GANG!

IT FEELS LIKE...STARTING OVER

I'm actually starting over with my collection, and starting to enjoy comics again.
I had lost everything I liked about comics from trying to be a dealer, to grading my
comics, to looking at them as money rather than as something I enjoy reading.
So now, I am at the bare bottom of my collection, as I once was, and am doing it
the way I enjoy, not how someone else says it should be or for the money. Now
it's like it was when I was a kid, just for reading.. but I still have to have top notch
condition comics. I just refuse to grade them.
Yes, I bought my mylites, and my mylars. My collection will now be purely mint
copies that look great in those sleeves. No more CGC, PGX, or whatever. I don't
trust some idiot to grade a comic. Why is his opinion better than mine? I'm
wasting $30.00 (more or less) a pop on their opinion, rather then buying high
grade copies for my collection. And, by the way, the comics look MUCH BETTER
in a mylar than a stupid CGC case any day.
I broke out all my comics and will buy comics online and also at shows that
are CGC or PGX, but when I get home, they are being set free and I will put them
in mylar. Also, no more reading copies for me. Why waste the money. I will read
my high-grade copies (I've been collecting for 44 years, so I think I can hold a
comic without damaging it). Yes folks, enough is enough. I'm not selling my
comics anymore, so what I have is mine and my knowledge of grading is just as
good or better than CGC. I wish more people would feel like this and let's see an
end to the comic grading scam.
I was one of the first people who had a comic graded by CGC. It was 2000 and
I thought that it was a really interesting idea. It is.. the restoration check is good.
But, hey... I'm not losing that. Because, I am going to pop the stuff out of the
container, evaluate it myself, then grade it accordingly. I am truly starting over
with my collection and I am really enjoying my comic collection again.. finally.


Well holy crap... imagine that!


My thoughts exactly. Comics are meant to be read, given away if you don't want them and keep what you value. My hands to you Applause Applause Applause

jasonrvs
Wednesday, September 01, 2010 10:21:14 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member
Location: Moses Lake, WA
Joined: 12/12/2007 | Posts: 1,633 | Points: 161,321
tb4020
Thursday, September 02, 2010 2:17:58 AM
Rank: Eternal
Groups: Member, Subscriber
Location: Tucson, Arizona.
Joined: 7/4/2008 | Posts: 201 | Points: 603
Tune in next week as expert Brian teaches us how to buy comics from a LCS........Loser
cleafus
Friday, December 31, 2010 10:40:38 AM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member
Location: Right behind you.......
Joined: 4/24/2007 | Posts: 1,135 | Points: 3,369
I just read through some of this again, with a big grin on my face. Some all-time classic stuff!
Every day above ground is a good day.


dunleavy75
Friday, December 31, 2010 11:52:09 AM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member
Location: south/central/east/west PA
Joined: 9/2/2008 | Posts: 12,241 | Points: 39,744
+1 FGG




Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
Mick77
Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:13:50 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member
Location: Midwest
Joined: 3/11/2008 | Posts: 1,352 | Points: 4,056
This really helped out my day so far. When things are looking bleak, always just re-read this thread and it will brighten your day.


My Uncle George Pierce 02/22/2012

Spread the word on Parkinson's Disease, help to find a cure!
!
dunleavy75
Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:17:20 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member
Location: south/central/east/west PA
Joined: 9/2/2008 | Posts: 12,241 | Points: 39,744
Mick77 wrote:
This really helped out my day so far. When things are looking bleak, always just re-read this thread and it will brighten your day.


They should use this thread at call centers for people on the edge. It could brighten anyones day. Laughing




Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
Nerdgasm_Comics
Thursday, May 19, 2011 5:43:28 AM
Rank: Eternal
Groups: Member
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined: 4/11/2011 | Posts: 259 | Points: 1,104
Lame it appears that FGG has closed his Youtube account and has taken most of his website down. You can still find some funny little tidbits of his by searching Brian Maton, he uses Brian is Da Bomb as a pretty common tag.
"Get your Nerd ON!"




If you find a comic in my Inventory that doesn't have a cover scan or one in approval. Send me a PM with the issue name and number, and I'll give you $1.00 in store credit per issue!

If you can't find what you are looking for at my store try these AWESOME stores!
Alpha Comics, Comics Castle, Gryphon Comics and Games, Curious Goods & Comics II, EastBay Comics, HeroLand Comics, The Comic Book Stop,



WBCollectibles
Friday, July 08, 2011 5:59:52 PM
Rank: Metahuman
Groups: Member
Joined: 8/21/2010 | Posts: 165 | Points: 559
OK so im prob. late and wrong but i just wanted to say 2 things

1. I noticed after the link was posted funnygreengoblin hasnt posted again

and

2.the site is down i was wondering if anyone had a copy of the article i would really like to read it and possibly make a cool mill.Nerd

actually i am interested in reading it
Users browsing this topic
Guest
11 pages: First ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

Forum Jump

Access

You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

This page was generated in 0.310 seconds.
(0.117 seconds)

All images on comic collector live copyright of their respective publishers. © Copyright 2015, MidTen Media Inc. GOLO241