Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
New 52 continuity already screwed Options
Tamwood
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 1:29:37 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Now, DC didn't really do that great a job of establishing any kind of continuity when they decide to screw their fans and reboot their universe. Or, parts of their universe.

But after reading Batgirl #0 and Batman #0, I find it amazing that they've screwed up this badly in one week.

DC: Hire someone to actually read the scripts and make continuity into one smooth stream, and not a mish-mash of WTF.
ShenValleyInitiative
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:52:09 AM

Groups: Member

could you explain? There are already continuity errors galore, interested to see what else there is now.

The_Ghost
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:05:41 PM

Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Media Host, Member, Moderator

Haven't we all learned that continuity in comics is a thing of the past?

Hey, true believers! Join your fellow comic book and sci-fi lovers on my NERD NATION Facebook page! Join us today and get your nerd on!
Nerd Nation
Tamwood
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:12:58 PM

I dunno how to do that white box "SPOILER" thing, so ... SPOILER!

Okay. So, in Batgirl #0, we see yet another Batgirl Secret Origin, where she's visiting the prison with Commissioner Jim, and a super-powered villain escapes. She's basically on her own in the prison with her brother James, an injured cop who was set to guide her on her tour, and a serial killer. And she don's a cobbled-together example of what the cops THINK Batman wears and proceeds to kick the crap outta the bad guy, and afterwards Batman shows up, tells her she did a good job, and that's it. We see a little montage of Batgirl in a pre-Batgirl costume fighting crime before Killing Joke.

But this isn't a reboot of the DCU..

And then, in Batman #0, we see a "five years ago" story where Commissioner Jim drags Barbara up to the top of the roof to shine the Batsignal into the sky. And then we see Tim, Dick and Jason, all about the same general age, before they were Robin. So, DC's statement that "everybody who was Robin before was still Robin" thing ... out the window.

So. Batgirl: Year One clearly gone. Steph as Robin (and Spoiler, and Batgirl) clearly gone. Somehow, Batman managed to train Dick, lose Dick, train Jason, see Jason killed, swear off training new Robins, train Tim, have Tim change into Red Robin, see Jason come back from the dead, and train Damien, in the space of 5 years.

But it wasn't a reboot.
Xylob
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:45:10 PM

Tamwood wrote:
Somehow, Batman managed to train Dick, lose Dick, train Jason, see Jason killed, swear off training new Robins, train Tim, have Tim change into Red Robin, see Jason come back from the dead, and train Damien, in the space of 5 years.
Vengeance never sleeps my friend.
Tongue

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
StreetNERD
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:53:51 PM

dc is awesome just amazing i love dcNerd Big Grin

SHAZAM!!!!

follow me @ComicHeadTerry on Instagram
hedgeknight
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 11:46:29 AM

Picked those books up in the store, flipped through 'em, let my son look through Batman, and when he gave me the WTF? expression, I just shrugged and put 'em back on the shelf.

Zero interest in "0" books...with the exception of Frankenstein - love me some Franky!

Winter is coming...
BurningDoom
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 12:35:34 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

hedgeknight wrote:
Picked those books up in the store, flipped through 'em, let my son look through Batman, and when he gave me the WTF? expression, I just shrugged and put 'em back on the shelf.

Zero interest in "0" books...with the exception of Frankenstein - love me some Franky!

Have you been reading New 52 titles, by chance? Wondering because I loved most of the "0" issues I've read, especially the Batman origin ones. But on the other hand, I'm not liking the New 52 changes as whole.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
jrpeevyhouse
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 12:32:17 AM

Tamwood wrote:

Somehow, Batman managed to train Dick, lose Dick, train Jason, see Jason killed, swear off training new Robins, train Tim, have Tim change into Red Robin, see Jason come back from the dead, and train Damien, in the space of 5 years.

But it wasn't a reboot.

The whole deal with Tim bothers me. As someone who wrote (albeit in the media) for over a decade, I understand how stories and such evolve, but the Tim Drake Robin is one of my favorite characters (along with Nightwing, coincidently). While I didn't get back into comics until early 2011 after being gone since the mid-90s, I really liked what was going on with DC BEFORE the New 52. When it comes to entertainment, be it music, pro wrestling, etc, I always give stuff a little time to see if where they're going with it. However, at least with comics, back issues are easier to get and gives you an alternative if you don't like what is currently going on.
ukblueky
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 7:35:08 AM

Red Hood and the Outlaws #0
Absolutely hated the story where Joker explains how he "created" the second Robin, Jason Todd.We're supposed to believe that the Joker is such a super genius and apparently can see into the future (cause thats the only explaination of how the Joker makes this all happen) that he knew if he had Jasons dad go to jail, Jasons mom appear to have died, that Jason would tun to this one particuliar woman.A woman who would defend Jason to Batman and that Batman would then train him to be the next Robin.Then the Joker knew that Jason would break the rules as Robin and be "grounded" so to speak.Then he could lure Jason away by having his mom contact him, which of course is the trap.Thus killing him and breaking Batmans spirit.
I understand that you suspend reality when you read a comic but this story is so far beyond stupid that it defies comic book logic.