Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Hurricane prep tips Options
monidaw1
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 5:44:04 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Let's say you waited too late to start looking for lamp oil. The only place left around here that appears to have a large supply of flammible liquids is the ABC store. What do you think would do the best in a few oil lamps? I'd like something that doesn't burn to fast or explosively and if it left a nice aroma like the scented oils it'd be nice.

Bamf!!! Photobucket Pages

b0bafett
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:19:11 AM

Groups: Guru, Member

Never used lamp oil. We always did candles or the lamp that ran on batteries.
Dementia5
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:28:12 AM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Subscriber

Lamp oil? If you are taking the threat of frankenstorm Sandy seriously, you would not concern yourself for how nice your house/apartment smells before the roof is ripped apart. Or ignore the dangers of using flammable fuels during a storm of any kind.

Flashlights and batteries are your salvation. Other hurricane prep tips include getting yourself a generator, or at least a compressor. Stock up on water, canned goods, toiletries, non-perishable proteins (peanut butter crackers, beef jerky, etc...), water, paper towels, toilet paper, antiseptic wipes, water, and go fill up yer car. Check your radio. Make sure you have a watch/clock that works, often overlooked. Charge your cell phones and get a hurricane app. Some use masking tape to tape up the windows, so while you're at it, buy some duct tape and electrical tape. Don't forget the water. This is all rote emergency procedure.

Last but not least, go get another first aid kit, the one with the insta-ice pack.

"We make a pretty good team, even if we don't work together." - My son

We put the "RP" into RPG!

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

Make sure that you READ and UNDERSTAND the forum rules HERE

oakman29
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 9:15:49 AM

Groups: Member

Dementia5 wrote:
Lamp oil? If you are taking the threat of frankenstorm Sandy seriously, you would not concern yourself for how nice your house/apartment smells before the roof is ripped apart. Or ignore the dangers of using flammable fuels during a storm of any kind.

Flashlights and batteries are your salvation. Other hurricane prep tips include getting yourself a generator, or at least a compressor. Stock up on water, canned goods, toiletries, non-perishable proteins (peanut butter crackers, beef jerky, etc...), water, paper towels, toilet paper, antiseptic wipes, water, and go fill up yer car. Check your radio. Make sure you have a watch/clock that works, often overlooked. Charge your cell phones and get a hurricane app. Some use masking tape to tape up the windows, so while you're at it, buy some duct tape and electrical tape. Don't forget the water. This is all rote emergency procedure.

Last but not least, go get another first aid kit, the one with the insta-ice pack.

What he said. By all means don't forget to bring comic books,they serve dual purpose you can burn em when you're done.Dancing

"You want me to trade you my comic for small rectangular sheets of green paper with the images of dead white men?"

bovard
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 11:34:41 AM

Shop at My Store

Dementia5 wrote:

Notice the trend. 5 gallons would probably be considered minimum, and 10 would not be too much. Everything else mentioned is high on the list, especially food, sanitation wipes, and add a pair of leather work gloves and boots - in case you end up dealing with debris, broken glass, etc.

Hope it misses you and the comic cave entirely!

monidaw1
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 6:19:35 PM

Shop at My Store

Of course we're taking it seriously. We've checked about 40 stores in the last two days to find the few stores that still stock lamp oil are sold out. I forgot to resupply after last years hurricane knocked the power out. One lamps about 1/2 full and the other's down to about 1/3rd. I'm looking forward to a little down time to read some comics. Just need some extra lighting to enjoy them by. Already had one huge tree limb come down so I figure it's only a matter of time now before the power goes.

Quote:

Apparently you aren't up to speed on what's expected in the Richmond area. Sustained winds peaking at around 50 mph. We're not talking blow the roof off but the sustained duration combined with the moisture soaking the ground and weakening the roots is sure to bring some tree's down. That means power outages. With a duration lasting into Wednesday they might be down for a good period of time which means extended need for lighting and no desire to spend the money on lots of batterys destined for landfills. I have a generater at my parents but if I can avoid it I'd rather not deal with the noise or the containers of "flammable fuels" it would take to operate. Candles are nice but don't put out the light the oil lamps do with the nice decorative globes. Having grown up around them it brings back nice memories the few times we get to drag them out of the closet. Having them in the closet for emergencys and you know they're always ready to go since they don't dry up or evaporate or anything like that or go dead like batterys stored too long or having sat around a store too long before you got them. The wicks are what you see is gonna work unlike the bulbs in flashlights which tend to get broken. I own about 20 flashlights of varying styles. Flashlights are for moving about. Oil lamps are for stationary area's you want a lot of light for a long period of time.

Dementia5
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:05:45 PM

monidaw1 wrote:
Of course we're taking it seriously. We've checked about 40 stores in the last two days to find the few stores that still stock lamp oil are sold out. I forgot to resupply after last years hurricane knocked the power out. One lamps about 1/2 full and the other's down to about 1/3rd. I'm looking forward to a little down time to read some comics. Just need some extra lighting to enjoy them by. Already had one huge tree limb come down so I figure it's only a matter of time now before the power goes.

Quote:

Apparently you aren't up to speed on what's expected in the Richmond area. Sustained winds peaking at around 50 mph. We're not talking blow the roof off but the sustained duration combined with the moisture soaking the ground and weakening the roots is sure to bring some tree's down. That means power outages. With a duration lasting into Wednesday they might be down for a good period of time which means extended need for lighting and no desire to spend the money on lots of batterys destined for landfills. I have a generater at my parents but if I can avoid it I'd rather not deal with the noise or the containers of "flammable fuels" it would take to operate. Candles are nice but don't put out the light the oil lamps do with the nice decorative globes. Having grown up around them it brings back nice memories the few times we get to drag them out of the closet. Having them in the closet for emergencys and you know they're always ready to go since they don't dry up or evaporate or anything like that or go dead like batterys stored too long or having sat around a store too long before you got them. The wicks are what you see is gonna work unlike the bulbs in flashlights which tend to get broken. I own about 20 flashlights of varying styles. Flashlights are for moving about. Oil lamps are for stationary area's you want a lot of light for a long period of time.

Man, I'm glad you weren't my scout leader. I hope you are not making the argument that lamp oil is more dependable, safer or practical than a dry-cell battery. If so, I am begging all CCL listeners, many of whom are along the storm track and likable by me, to read my first post in this thread. And comparing a 40 store treasure hunt for lamp oil to a 20 minute shopping spree for batteries is hard to address on any level.

Believe you me, I have been tracking this storm since before it was a depression offside Jamaica. I simply didn't bother to check your geographic location, but I can assure you that Sandy will be threatening enough to cause power outages somewhere... perhaps your area. The fact that you are still making references to decorations and nice memories while addressing the likelihood of falling trees and downed power lines in your neighborhood is a little surreal for me. Like the ending to Brazil. So, I had to assume that you in fact were not taking this hurricane as seriously as others I've come across. Just addressing the original post as intended.

All I can add is to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

monidaw1
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 4:39:25 AM

Shop at My Store

Quote:
I hope you are not making the argument that lamp oil is more dependable, safer or practical than a dry-cell battery

It's not an argument, it's a fact that they are more dependable. The wick's there, the oil's there, it work's today or 10 years from now. Batterys go dead, the little light bulbs break, the internal connections rust and get other things happening to them that prevent connections.

It's a fairly simple question that hopefully someone with a little experience may show up and know the answer to. What alcohol % is ideal for a slow burn. That points me in the right direction to finding an alternative fuel source at a place that is well supplied. If in addition you have a preference on a specific brand that smells better then great. Hopefully a cook or chemist or bartender or someone used to dealing with the liquids in question will know. I see them used on cooking shows all the time.

Quote:
And comparing a 40 store treasure hunt for lamp oil to a 20 minute shopping spree for batteries is hard to address on any level.

It's not for you to address. If I have a bicycle and want a tip on where to find inner tubes so I can ride it isn't an invalid question just because you feel I should be buying a motorcycle. If I already own a horse I should have the right to ask where to buy a saddle even if you feel I should be buying a car with air-bags. If you can't help, don't want to help or just refuse to help then move on to the next thread and let someone who knows the answer feel they can provide it without stepping into a debate.

Thank you for the assitance.

Dementia5
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 8:15:35 AM

Did I fail to mention fire extinguisher in my prep list?

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

monidaw1
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 8:20:20 AM

Shop at My Store

Don't worry about it.

It looks like it's slipping a little further North. That brings the snowstorm and cold potential higher which means fetch the kerosene heaters and since kerosene has to be purchased for heat some can go in the lamps also if needed.

At least now I know better than to ask where to buy some mittens at since there's bound to be a glove troll waiting to try an convince me I have to have fingers on my hand protection and that a snowjack-o-lantern isn't a good idea because there might be an avalanche somewhere.

Dementia5
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 8:31:35 AM

Actually, much of this was for the benefit of other readers along the storm trajectory, for those who might examine preparatory conditions that are considered widespread folly.

Clearly there is no changing your mind, as your upgrade to kerosene demonstrates (unless you were joking); all I can do now is wish you luck. I may not know you, but that doesn't mean I don't want you safe.

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

bovard
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 1:02:12 PM

Shop at My Store

I honestly don't know what would make a good substitute for lamp oil.

But, it's usually a good idea to have a number of alternatives for your lighting purposes. For example; I have candles, flashlights and extra batteries, a 24 hour emergency candle (which is basically a candle/lamp), and then my camping lantern which is a Coleman dual fuel lantern that runs on Coleman fuel and also requires the mantles.

comicfan17blue
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 2:19:11 PM
Groups: Member

Did a quick google search and you should be able to find lamp oil at ACE Hardware stores. I would give them a call and see if they have it in stock before you go. Lamp oil is also available via Amazon online and you can always upgrade to two day or overnight shipping.