Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Hostess Brands Closing! Options
KingZombie
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 7:17:58 PM

Groups: Member

comicscastle
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 7:35:00 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

Let's see how much that Union cares for its members now.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

4saken1
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 8:09:32 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I can see it now - speculators selling twinkies on eBay for $10 each!

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get some of your comics for 30% off
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

4saken1
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 9:50:44 PM

Shop at My Store

Looks like I nailed it!

I guess pretty soon, Ho Hos will cost more than just hos! Rolling on the Floor

ComicVortex

Current specials:

For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

Reggie
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 8:02:22 AM

Crying

Flagwaver
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 9:28:01 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Damn. No more Coffee Cakes. Sad
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 9:40:51 AM

there'll be snacks just not by hostess. there's was a huge debate at work going on over this. the fat kids getting chaptered out of the Army seemed really upset as well.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

KingZombie
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:24:03 PM

I really hope someone either buys the brand or the recipes. No one makes those cream filled chocolate cupcakes like Hostess.

No one!!

scotteaves
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 4:22:07 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

Remember - Drake's was owned by Hostess too. So they're gone. And Wonder Bread in the US was produced by Hostess as well. So, that's gone. It's a lot bigger than just Twinkies. Big Grin

comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 5:30:54 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

lol.

This is NOT a story. Businesses close all the time. For myriad reasons.

Someone else will, of course, buy the recipes and sell them, probably even under the same name.
4saken1
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 6:48:33 PM

Shop at My Store

Flagwaver wrote:
Damn. No more Coffee Cakes. Sad

Oh man, I haven't had those in forever! I forgot how good they were.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Free Shipping

comicuniversity
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 8:50:39 AM

comicscastle wrote:

More than Hostess did, obviously. Rather than give in to a pay raise or a concession or two to their lower middle class employees.....they shut the company down. then the execs. are going to sell the company name and the recipes and make a friggin' fortune! And, they are filing for bankruptcy on top of it....so they don't have to pay any debts.

yeah, don't worry yourself over the board and the execs. they'll be fine. As usual, though, middle and lower class workers take another hit, while the rich get richer.

It ain't the unions who are wrong here.

And...that's my rant for the day.
4saken1
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 11:40:22 AM

Shop at My Store

comicuniversity wrote:

More than Hostess did, obviously. Rather than give in to a pay raise or a concession or two to their lower middle class employees.....they shut the company down. then the execs. are going to sell the company name and the recipes and make a friggin' fortune! And, they are filing for bankruptcy on top of it....so they don't have to pay any debts.

yeah, don't worry yourself over the board and the execs. they'll be fine. As usual, though, middle and lower class workers take another hit, while the rich get richer.

Yeah, I read somewhere how the executives at the company got raises in the months preceding the Chapter 11. Funny how that works.....

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Free Shipping

scotteaves
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 12:49:12 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Moderator, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Guru, Member, Subscriber

comicuniversity wrote:
comicscastle wrote:

But yet, the company has been bleeding money for years and only ONE of the unions involved refused to work with the company and re-negotiate. Am I saying that the executives were in the right? No. But to blame it ALL on them isn't right either. There's blame on both sides. I've been part of unions and generally, I dislike their practices.

I'm sure the executives will have trouble finding jobs, just like the everyday workers. It's not like there are many executive job openings available either. They might have it easier in the short term, but I doubt it will be a cakewalk (heh, cakewalk) for them in the long run.

4saken1 wrote:

Yeah, I read somewhere how the executives at the company got raises in the months preceding the Chapter 11. Funny how that works.....

Probably because of contracts they have with the company - kind of like the ones the unions have with required pay increases. Could they have turned them down? Most likely. Did they? doubt it. Would you?

The_Ghost
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 12:59:24 PM

Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Media Host, Member, Moderator

Like nobody is going to buy that company.

Americans are too fat anyway. Maybe this will help us thin down some.

Hey, true believers! Join your fellow comic book and sci-fi lovers on my NERD NATION Facebook page! Join us today and get your nerd on!
Nerd Nation
KingZombie
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 2:34:04 PM

The_Ghost wrote:
Like nobody is going to buy that company.

Americans are too fat anyway. Maybe this will help us thin down some.

From what I understand, sales in general have been slumping for them due to competition but also from people choosing to eat healthier.

The sad truth is, while we all love 'em, we ain't buying them so much anymore.
4saken1
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 2:58:06 PM

Shop at My Store

scotteaves wrote:
Probably because of contracts they have with the company - kind of like the ones the unions have with required pay increases. Could they have turned them down? Most likely. Did they? doubt it. Would you?

As I understand it, executives' raises in the company were previously performance based, but were switched to guaranteed salary in order to get around Chapter 11 regulations. The CEO's salary went from $750,000 to $2.55 million as a result. Other executives' pay went up an average of over 50%.

FWIW, as I understand it, the Hostess' insolvency was so bad due to decrease in demand that even if workers had conceded pay cuts and exorbinant bunuses weren't given to top earners, the company still wouldn't have been salvageable. But hey, at least the fat cats made it out OK!

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Free Shipping

comicuniversity
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 4:34:15 PM

4saken1 wrote:
scotteaves wrote:

As I understand it, executives' raises in the company were previously performance based, but were switched to guaranteed salary in order to get around Chapter 11 regulations. The CEO's salary went from $750,000 to $2.55 million as a result. Other executives' pay went up an average of over 50%.

FWIW, as I understand it, the Hostess' insolvency was so bad due to decrease in demand that even if workers had conceded pay cuts and exorbinant bunuses weren't given to top earners, the company still wouldn't have been salvageable. But hey, at least the fat cats made it out OK!

They ALWAYS do....and the rank and file employees ALWAYS get screwed.

It's why I just can't believe it....I just don't understand how people side with execs. over unions when it comes to big corporations. The execs are always making enormous scads of money and the rank and file are always making less than the rate of inflation. Unions are just trying to redress some of that.

And...before the tired comment "if you don't like it, go work soemwhere else" gets trotted out again.....you realize that if workers somewhere don't make stands, we will all be the victims. We will maek less and elss and less as prices rise and rise and rise.
KingZombie
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:04:12 PM

comicuniversity wrote:
4saken1 wrote:
scotteaves wrote:

It's why I just can't believe it....I just don't understand how people side with execs. over unions when it comes to big corporations. The execs are always making enormous scads of money and the rank and file are always making less than the rate of inflation. Unions are just trying to redress some of that.

And...before the tired comment "if you don't like it, go work soemwhere else" gets trotted out again.....you realize that if workers somewhere don't make stands, we will all be the victims. We will maek less and elss and less as prices rise and rise and rise.

Because it seems like half the time the unions are just as corrupt or incompetent as management. Trust me, I've worked with unions. They take a lot in dues and most times do very little.

In regards to Hostess, there were two unions representing the workers. The teamsters and the baker's union. The teamsters union voted to approve the new contract. The baker's union did not and the teamsters blame both management and the baker's union for the closing.
comicuniversity
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:47:29 PM

KingZombie wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:
4saken1 wrote:
scotteaves wrote:

Because it seems like half the time the unions are just as corrupt or incompetent as management. Trust me, I've worked with unions. They take a lot in dues and most times do very little.

In regards to Hostess, there were two unions representing the workers. The teamsters and the baker's union. The teamsters union voted to approve the new contract. The baker's union did not and the teamsters blame both management and the baker's union for the closing.

LOL. Agreed! Unions have execs too.

I guess what I meant was a little more nuanced. The union heads themselves are, sometimes, just as greedy as the corporate boards. However, the corporate boards represent their own money. The unions at least represent the money of ALL the workers.