Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Which Comic bags to use? Options
Jshock80
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:23:58 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Hi all since I am new to this I would like to ask you guys a question, I have been told for the older comics and the oldest I have is 1984 I have been told to use the Mylar bags for those comic books, because of the paper used at that time is thinner then it is today, which is obvious. What I am asking is that a true statement and if so would it be better to use the 2 mil or 4mil mylar bags, or just use the poly bags?. I would like to thank all you helped me with my first post and look foward to reading your replys. Thanks for all the help.

Dennis
ninjapirategear
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:52:08 PM

Groups: Member

I'm not the ultimate authority on this issue, but I would say the mylar bags are good for high-value books, but for an average book the poly bags should be fine. It's more important to keep them in a cool, dry place.

I've never used anything thicker than 2 mil mylar. They're perfect as far as I'm concerned. And they make your book look BEAUTIFUL.

Check out the Southern Maryland Comic-Con on July 7!
Jshock80
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:36:58 PM

Hi Ninja Thanks alot for the info very much appreciated

Dennis
spiderjack
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:22:29 PM

I use the 2mil for my entire collection
to me it's not worth the extra cash for the four mil and the 2 mil is easier to work with
You could also try the 1 mil mylites which are nice they are slightly thiner then the standard poly bog but they offer you the protection of mylar at a discount price

Nanosplicer
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 1:07:15 AM

I'd pretty much go with what Ben (Ninja) said. I will add, imo, that there's nothing wrong with putting expensive books in a regular bag and board. The only thing is they will have to be changed about every 5 years, or so I'm told. And for me 2 mil Mylar is perfect; 4 mil is just overkill, lol.

ninjapirategear
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 1:30:14 AM

Nanosplicer wrote:
I'd pretty much go with what Ben (Ninja) said. I will add, imo, that there's nothing wrong with putting expensive books in a regular bag and board. The only thing is they will have to be changed about every 5 years, or so I'm told. And for me 2 mil Mylar is perfect; 4 mil is just overkill, lol.

The mylars are a little bit sturdier than regular poly bags. You don't really need a board with them (although I always use one). They also make your fancy books look great. The 1 mil mylars get all wrinkly. The 2 mil is where it's at.

Jshock80
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 12:27:03 PM

Thanks all for the insight it is very much appreciated.

Dennis
HeroComics
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 7:09:33 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I agree 100%! Mylar is for the expensive books.

Here is a tip: Try to use tape like #M Scotch Magic Transparent tape. Generic Office Max or Staples brands are fine too. Other tapes seem to be very caustic on the bags themselves, and either dry out or leave a residue.
ninjapirategear
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 10:45:55 PM

HeroComics wrote:
I agree 100%! Mylar is for the expensive books.

Here is a tip: Try to use tape like #M Scotch Magic Transparent tape. Generic Office Max or Staples brands are fine too. Other tapes seem to be very caustic on the bags themselves, and either dry out or leave a residue.

+1!! Magic tape also LASTS FOREVER. I have re-used magic tape that was probably 20 years old and you wouldn't know if it was right off the roll. And I've had the clear shiny tape go south and just screw up a lot of stuff. It will just break down over time and one day you'll be having a great day and some crappy tape will ruin it.

wickedcomics
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 11:15:41 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I have to agree with everyone in here. 2 mil Mylar for expensive books and the regular bags and boards for the rest. We actually use special bags made in South Carolina, our boards are also made there so all our supplies are made in the USA.

You can use regular bags/boards for the more expensive issues just make sure to change them once you see them warping. Always make sure that whatever brand of boards and bags you buy are certified to be Acid Free. Also make sure that the boards are Buffered with calcium carbonate. This provides an alkaline reserve which absorbs acid, as the paper in your books age, it produces acids as do non-acidic back boards that do not use calcium carbonate. Boards that are not buffered with Calcium Carbonate will eventually become acidic as time goes by from the paper in your comic books.

Welcome to collecting, hope these tips helped in your decision for supplies.

I3atman
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 11:33:20 PM

Jshock80 wrote:
Hi all since I am new to this I would like to ask you guys a question, I have been told for the older comics and the oldest I have is 1984 I have been told to use the Mylar bags for those comic books, because of the paper used at that time is thinner then it is today, which is obvious. What I am asking is that a true statement and if so would it be better to use the 2 mil or 4mil mylar bags, or just use the poly bags?. I would like to thank all you helped me with my first post and look foward to reading your replys. Thanks for all the help.

Dennis

BTW, Dennis, welcome to the community! Big Hug

Jshock80
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 3:36:38 PM

Thanks everybody for all the great tips and advice being new to this you have all really helped me out alot. Thanks for making me feel welcome it is much appreciated. Oh an how do I keep accumulating these contributor points I have 15 and have no clue how I got them. Thanks again

Dennis
Nanosplicer
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 4:34:37 PM

Jshock80 wrote:
Thanks everybody for all the great tips and advice being new to this you have all really helped me out alot. Thanks for making me feel welcome it is much appreciated. Oh an how do I keep accumulating these contributor points I have 15 and have no clue how I got them. Thanks again

Dennis
You get the points for posting in the forum and submitting change requests. They really aren't for anything though.

Jshock80
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:27:15 PM

ok thanks for the info much appreciated.

Dennis
JBSR
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 1:10:00 PM

Nanosplicer wrote:
You get the points for posting in the forum and submitting change requests. They really aren't for anything though.

Hey Nano, since those points aren't for anything, can I have yours, and be Celestial instead of you? Big Grin

If ya can't spell wierd weirdly, what's the point? Nerd
musicitycomics
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2011 10:14:58 PM

If you are planning on keeping your comics long term or for your valuable books, you should not only use 2 mil mylar bags, you should also use acid free backer boards and some type of comic acid free extender boards. The extender boards are very important on older comics that utilized standard news paper type paper. I found the best price on backer boards and extenders are from BCW ( www.bcwsupplies.com ). The best prices I would find on 2 mil mylar bags are the Mylites 2 from E.Gerber ( www.egerber.com ). I also recommend using a better quality double sided archival tape. I use Scotch Brand Scrapbooking tape – double sided – photo safe – acid free. Use about ½” on each bag.
The_Valiant_One
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 10:48:40 AM

Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Nanosplicer wrote:
Jshock80 wrote:

Dennis

We gave a lifetime CCL software membership for our first "Contribunaire" :)

heavyearly2000
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 5:56:56 PM

Whatever you do, don't listen to this guy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHd2nleMJf0

MY WANT LIST

[center]I realize your comic got a 9.8 grade from them; it still gets a 0.0 for content from me.[/center]
dagma333
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:52:53 AM

musicitycomics wrote:
If you are planning on keeping your comics long term or for your valuable books, you should not only use 2 mil mylar bags, you should also use acid free backer boards and some type of comic acid free extender boards. The extender boards are very important on older comics that utilized standard news paper type paper.

This is gonna sound really lame, from a guy who has been reading comic books since the early 70s, .... But, what is an extender board - as opposed to - a regular backing board?

I have been reading comics forever, but have never seriously(meaning keeping & taking care of them after reading them) collected them until about 10yrs ago. I used to just trade em' away for someone else to read, or toss em' in a box.

Is an extender board, just a backing board with acid-neutralizing capabilities? Or is it functionally different? Does it look like an ordinary backing board?