Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Green bean caserolle prep question Options
monidaw1
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 6:29:18 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Experimenting this year with some alternatives like fresh green beans, the kind with the ends still on that look like grandmas garden just spit them out. I'm assuming some type of blanching to cut the bake time on the caserolle back down to something a bit more than warming and cheese melting levels.

How long is blanching? A couple minutes in boiling water or longer? I saw something about an ice bath afterwards which I'm not sure if that's essential to stop them from cooking further or to keep them from going in hot and curdling any dairy products in the mix prior to cooking.

French's apears to be out of their mind if they think we're paying that high a price for that tiny of a can of fried onions so we're going to experiment with alternatives. We saw Rice Chex used in one recipe but the 3 pack of Chex was on sale at Walmart so now we have Corn and Wheat as options also. I'm thinking i would enjoy the Corn more than the Rice Chex but does the Rice offer a better flavor option? Don't worry, we're carmalizing some onion to mix in so that taste is still getting added.

Do we have a chef in the house?

Bamf!!! Photobucket Pages

comicscastle
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 7:32:04 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

Sorry, my expertise is in eating, not cooking.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

monidaw1
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 8:26:21 AM

Shop at My Store

I never even heard of green bean casserole until this year but it apparently is a recipe Campbell's threw together in the 50's to be a quick side dish out of stuff people had laying around in the 50's. The roommate made one earlier this year and Ellen tried a traditional version for Thanksgiving so after watching several variations on the recipe on tv shows the last month I figure why not try a little tinkering and see what we come up with.

Just finished cranking out a batch of eggnog pancakes, silver dollar size to take for the breakfast with the kids at Grandmas tomorrow so now it's time to start working on turkey, taters and extras between packing orders.

Dementia5
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 8:32:43 AM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Subscriber

My mother makes a famous green bean casserole dish that has earned her place in the pantheon of immortal cooking deities that run rampant in our family, so I can probably offer a helpful tip or two.

First, I'm afraid you will have to splurge for the can of French onions. Yes, they are overpriced but their flavor is immistakable, and everyone knows it. Nothing else works, much like Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce or Martini and Ross vermouth... any substitute just makes the provider look bad. Caramelizing onions is a good idea, but one I have not tried with this recipe. Again, French's onions do all the work for me.

Blanching is an art form for some, but the rule you should follow is the amount of time blanching should equal the amount of time spent in a boiling pot. I have not heard of the dairy spoiling element you have introduced, although it does make sense; blanching is the best way to retain the garden freshness of your vegetables.

Hope this helps. Needless to say, Campbell's Cream of Mushroom is also irreplaceable. I would not bother seeking a substitute on any level for the reasons outlines above.

"We make a pretty good team, even if we don't work together." - My son

We put the "RP" into RPG!

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

Make sure that you READ and UNDERSTAND the forum rules HERE

monidaw1
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 9:14:27 AM

Shop at My Store

We started out wanting to follow this recipe using fresh onions and mushrooms
Food Network Recipe but it didn't use up enough of the basketball size bag of green beans I picked up shopping unsupervised. This one has the Chex recipe

We also found Cracker Barrel Cheese blocks 3 for $5 at the flea market yesterday so we have 3 different types sharp cheddar to select from. This should be fun. Plenty of Campbells mushroom soup stuff on hand also. This should be fun. I gave up on bacon wrapping the turkey and just coked the bacon and ate. Big Grin I'll pack a few orders standing later this week to work off the extra calories. Whistle

LadyJay
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 9:22:55 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Member, Moderator, Super Hero Showdown Host

I never bother with the French onions when I do green bean casserole. I use onion flakes to help flavor it and cut up some extra mushrooms to supplement the cream of mushroom soup. Actually these days I don't usually bother with the "casserole" part and just use the stove top method. It's a little quicker and saves room in the oven for things that can't be cooked on top.

Xylob
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 9:27:40 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Step 1: take all those ingredients and toss 'em.
Green bean casserole is absolutely nasty.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
monidaw1
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 10:10:58 AM

Shop at My Store

Quote:
It's a little quicker and saves room in the oven for things that can't be cooked on top.

Back at Thanksgiving we picked up one of those giant, holds a 22 pound turkey, no basting needed and also does roast, sit on the counter and plug it in pans for $28 at Walmart so the oven's completely open except for roll preperation.

Quote:
Step 1: take all those ingredients and toss 'em.
Green bean casserole is absolutely nasty.

I would have agreed with you last year but since we quit smoking I'm trying to give new things a try since they might taste different now. Some southern style green beans flavored with a hint of ham and lots of pepper are always a mouth pleaser. Onions have their places and my quest to cheese the whole thing up some has to get some taste buds dancing. Dancing What doesn't go good with one of the cheese familys stars? The trick is settling on only 1 or 3 to participate. Drooling

monidaw1
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 2:03:38 PM

Shop at My Store

Hmmmm, not quite so sure that was officially blanching as much as adding green beans to boiling water that stopped boiling immediately, waiting five minutes or so for the boil to tart again then another five before extracting them to a cold water bath.

Ellen's off for more butter and mushrooms. Couldn't talk them into giving the turkey a shower. Rain Seemed like a logical choice after all those news programs saying not to wash your turkey in the kitchen sink back around Thanksgiving. That kinda tip to me screams the only 3 options left would be the shower, the car wash or firing up the pressure washer outback like it's time to clean the deck. I knew they wouldn't go for the last two without even asking.

Any difference between white and yellow sharp cheddar other than color?

PS; if you're caught in the shower with a turkey also, the mall's open til 6PM and jewelry is 70% off today at Sears. Even better, they take plastic payment.

monidaw1
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 3:56:02 PM

Shop at My Store

All the orders are packed and shipped and the caserolle is in the oven.

I think I worked in a little of everyone's ideas. Sauted almost to caramelization some portabelo mushrooms and a large onion with a stick of butter,salt, pepper,and garlic.

Mixed it after cooling a bit with some Rice Chex, 3 cans of COM soup, an entire stick of the Extra Sharp White Cheddar Cheese by Cracker Barrel and folded in what was a huge bag of green beans.

Couldn't decide on the top so half got a circle of Corn Chex, the other got a circle of fried onions. Then in the big hole in the center I put a nice layer of sharp cheddar (Black Label Extra smooth) by Cracker Barrel.

This things in a 3" tall dish so it's gonna be a while but since the gravys still under construction there's time.

monidaw1
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 5:43:56 PM

Shop at My Store

Finished

The women loved it which is the most important part to me.

I couldn't tell the difference between the Rice or Corn Chex once they were stirred in since the other flavors stood out.

Loved the chessiness.

Loved having a little texture/snap to the green beans.

I didn't enjoy the big pieces of mushroom but I figured that was a gamble going in.

I think next time we'll make several smaller ones at the same time in seperate dishes so everyone can DIY to their own preference like in those little single portion baking dishes. Make a family thing out of it as everyone gets to do it their way.

Overall the gravy stole the show.

Happy Holidays!!!!

fenix1977
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 5:56:28 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

monidaw1 wrote:
Finished

The women loved it which is the most important part to me.

I couldn't tell the difference between the Rice or Corn Chex once they were stirred in since the other flavors stood out.

Loved the chessiness.

Loved having a little texture/snap to the green beans.

I didn't enjoy the big pieces of mushroom but I figured that was a gamble going in.

I think next time we'll make several smaller ones at the same time in seperate dishes so everyone can DIY to their own preference like in those little single portion baking dishes. Make a family thing out of it as everyone gets to do it their way.

Overall the gravy stole the show.

Happy Holidays!!!!

That looks amazing! I am trying my hand at cooking this year and I got handed the responsibility of making the Green Been Caserolle this year. I am playing it safe as I have never made one and just following the Campbells directions.

Mad Bloggings

monidaw1
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 3:00:09 PM

Shop at My Store

I wish I'd thought of it yesterday morning but with those little baking dishes you can live on the wild side and make all kinds of variations to see if something works for you. You only live once they say!!! (assuming you're not an X-Man)

Another fun find I tried recently was with those same little round baking dishes

I found some of those covered glass cheese dishes that look like tiny little cake dishes. (Have 3 or 4 now) I've got a full size Anchor Hocking one for traditional layer cakes. This is kinda like the ones we find at yard sales and flea markets cheap.

Those little baking dishes that can be used for tiny test caserolles can also make tiny layer cakes. One mix and everyone gets to ice and decorate their own baby layer cakes individually or if you're on a diet you avoid temptation by only making a tiny layer cake.

Another favorite that wows the kids is substituting eggnog for water in the complete pancake mixes to make egg nog flavored pancakes, waffles and even french toast.

Silly little thinking outside the box ideas to live on the wild side. Take a chance.