Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Is it just me or do all these new Marvel books suck? Options
NorthBridge
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 6:49:12 PM

Groups: Member

Tried Uncanny Avengers, Xmen, Captain America, New Avengers...they're all the same thing.

"Chuck died".

"You suck Summers".

"Cap, you're such a man out of time".

"This isn't what he would've wanted".

It's like they made quadrillions off the movie, so they're mailing it in.

Maybe I'm just bored...but these books are all so flat.

Maybe it's that I just finished reading the Mitch Rapp series and these seem so unrealistic...

Maybe I'm just wrong.

They just all seem off.

--
Thank you and take care,
Paul
BurningDoom
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 8:19:37 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

I'm really liking All-New X-Men. It involves time-travel and the young X-Men seeing the current X-Men, and frankly, being sickened by it. So they decide they have to stay in the current to prevent them becoming what they see in front of them.

New Avengers I'm REALLY digging. It totally feels like the lead-in to something really BIG that's about go down. It really feels like the beginning of Marvel's take on Crisis on Infinite Earths to me.

Thor: God of Thunder is really good, so far. A very "God-like" storyline. And lots of action and great artwork. Thor really comes off as the Viking/Norse God he's supposed to be.

Other than that, though, yeah, I'm not digging most of the new Marvel books. Uncanny Avengers and "Avengers" have been meh. I hate the changes happening in Superior Spider-Man. The new Iron Man book isn't even sticking to their guns past the first storyarc. Fantastic Four seemed alright, but nothing spectacular and not worth a reboot. "FF" looks incredibly stupid. And I've never been a big X-fan, so the other X-titles don't tickle my fancy.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
NorthBridge
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 9:29:11 PM

And what did I miss between X-Sanction and Cable & X-Force?

Havok is "in charge", this happens in Uncanny Avengers. But we open page one of C&XF and Cable blew everything up and has to answer to Havok? I stopped reading because I felt like I needed to go read something.

I don't remember that in X-Sanction - I read Consequences...nothing in there about it.

Last we saw Collossus he was practicing atheism, but not, but also punching rocks and wearing rags. Now he's a fully armed member of X-Force.

What am I missing?

Maybe I'll make the switch to X titles, even though I never liked them...always the same "we protect those who hate us"...then some tranquility followed by a hate crime and everyone fights about who to blame. Wash, rinse, repeat. But I guess I have to try it out because these Avengers titles are making no sense. None.

--
Thank you and take care,
Paul
nacho
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:28:37 AM

yeah i'm not diggin this new marvel now thing i think i'm going to stick with dc for now.

NorthBridge
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:32:32 AM

So that situation doesn't make sense, to you either?

To be honest, even DC isn't that great. Batman and JLADark standout.

But Image is making some amazing books right now.

--
Thank you and take care,
Paul
nacho
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:52:48 AM

dc's not great but it's more injoyable then marvel right now.i can't get into any avengers title thor's ok, spiderman's....not to sure what the hell is going on in that one, i don't like reading xmen titles hard to get into thoughs. not a big fan of ff.

Tamwood
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 10:04:42 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

I honestly do not understand why Image books are getting all the hype. The only one I think is even remotely good from all the ZOMG IMAGE! books is Saga, and even that one I like more for the beautiful Fiona Staples are than the story.

All New X-Men has been decent. I liked the first story arc, and the art's solid. And I appreciated the way they brought back Jean ... again ... without actually bringing back Phoenix. It gives her a fresh take.

Fantastic Four and FF are disappointing. And Iron Man and Captain America looked horrible. But Thor: God of Thunder is awesome. Beautiful art, and a story worthy of a God.

Uncanny Avengers is only one it's second issue, which is because Cassaday is straight from the "1990's Image" mold, and can't get an issue in on time. If they had more material to work with, that could be a decent book.
NorthBridge
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 11:15:30 AM

Tamwood wrote:
I honestly do not understand why Image books are getting all the hype.

Because people have different preferences and tastes. I like Thief of Thieves, Todd was hilarious, Non Humans, Walking Dead, Chew, Morning Glories, Manhattan Projects, Saga.

Once you understand that people like things that you might not, you may understand it.

All I want to know is what happened with the whole Cable, X-Force, Havoc timeline.

--
Thank you and take care,
Paul
Tamwood
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:07:08 PM

NorthBridge wrote:
Tamwood wrote:

Because people have different preferences and tastes. I like Thief of Thieves, Todd was hilarious, Non Humans, Walking Dead, Chew, Morning Glories, Manhattan Projects, Saga.

Once you understand that people like things that you might not, you may understand it.

All I want to know is what happened with the whole Cable, X-Force, Havoc timeline.

Wow. Pot, meet Kettle.
4saken1
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 1:55:46 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Tamwood wrote:

Compared to what the big 2 are putting out, Image is pure gold!

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

Grwurz
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 3:33:22 AM

I've read a bunch of new 52 books and the only ones that stand out are the Bat-books. Even those I will cut down to Just Batman and Detective after Death of The Family is over.

I read all of the first 2 months of the marvel Now books and the only ones I am sticking with are Cap, Thor, and Hulk. (although Hulk is starting to drag from it's promising first issue) I am intrigued by Superior Spider-man and may give it a few more issues.

From Image I get: The Walking Dead, Thief of Thieves, Chew, Clone are all my favorite books currently. I had a hard time with Saga at first, but it's been growing on me.

I've also read every single issue that the new Valiant has put out, and for Superhero books, they are the most consistently good stories on the market right now.

Free shipping is available on ANY order $40.00 and above. No minimum books necessary. Whether it's 1 book or 100 books. If it's $40.00 or more, it ships FREE!

Also, if you buy 10 or more $1.00 books, all the $1.00 books are 25% off. Effectively making them $.75 books! I've got hundreds of them!

Come take a look!
Nate77
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 7:51:49 AM

I gotta say i wasn't real excited about a re-numbering, but i'm giving it a chance (Cap, Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Cable & X-force) there all "ok" so far, i'm a sucker. But i agree that Image does seem to be knocking it out of the park lately. Super Dinosaur is a lot of fun in a real innocent way and i can share them with my 9 year old son who absolutely loves them. Dark Horse as well is putting out some great stuff as well. The new Hellboy in Hell is off to a great start. B.P.R.D. is also lots of fun to follow. Marvel i guess is just trying to hard i think.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Pull List: Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Superior Spider-Man, Savage Wolverine, Wolverine, Deadpool,X-Force, Captain America, Guardians of the Galaxy, Batman & ?, B.P.R.D., Hellboy, The Walking Dead, Super Dinosaur.
NorthBridge
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:09:45 AM

Nate77 wrote:
I gotta say i wasn't real excited about a re-numbering, but i'm giving it a chance (Cap, Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Cable & X-force) there all "ok" so far, i'm a sucker. But i agree that Image does seem to be knocking it out of the park lately. Super Dinosaur is a lot of fun in a real innocent way and i can share them with my 9 year old son who absolutely loves them. Dark Horse as well is putting out some great stuff as well. The new Hellboy in Hell is off to a great start. B.P.R.D. is also lots of fun to follow. Marvel i guess is just trying to hard i think.

I was excited, too. I just don't get some of the timelines.

If there's something I missed between X-Sanction and Cable & X-Force let me know...I'd love to read that title. But if I'm lost in the first page something's wrong. Maybe it's me and they're doing the old "tell the story backwards" thing.

But I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.

Unless the last X-Sanction book came out after the first Cable& X-Force?

--
Thank you and take care,
Paul
Nate77
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:50:13 AM

NorthBridge wrote:
Nate77 wrote:

I was excited, too. I just don't get some of the timelines.

If there's something I missed between X-Sanction and Cable & X-Force let me know...I'd love to read that title. But if I'm lost in the first page something's wrong. Maybe it's me and they're doing the old "tell the story backwards" thing.

But I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.

Unless the last X-Sanction book came out after the first Cable& X-Force?
Nope I'm just as clueless, last i knew cable was in a coma. I to am hoping for reverse story line.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Pull List: Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Superior Spider-Man, Savage Wolverine, Wolverine, Deadpool,X-Force, Captain America, Guardians of the Galaxy, Batman & ?, B.P.R.D., Hellboy, The Walking Dead, Super Dinosaur.
NorthBridge
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 1:21:19 PM

Well, I've just spent an hour googling and researching. It appears the rest of the comic reading world is just as confused.

There is no continuity. None.

Gone are the days when a book simply went on it's merry way, a character popping in and referencing his or her own book in case you were interested.

I have now read:

New Avengers
Avengers
Uncanny Avengers
Cable & X-Force
Avengers Assemble
Iron Man
Captain America

I guess one could take the approach that the story contained within each book shouldn't be dampened by a need for cross-continuity...but when the last time I saw Havoc he was in space, then he's marching in, as an Avenger, to greet Cable, who was in a coma I get very frustrated. New Avengers has all the universes about to destroy themselves in 8 hours...but Captain America is out in Dimension Z with a baby...yet he's sitting at the Illuminati table.

If AvX: Consequences happens before All New Xmen, but after Uncanny Avengers AND the A + X books then one could drive oneself mad attempting to fit it all together.

Marvel has completely lost itself within itself. Nothing is making sense.

I really hate that they are all tied together with these ridiculous events. Honestly, the only Marvel book that simply goes on telling its own story is Deadpool. And I think that might be the only Marvel book that will stay in my pull list.

Make mine Image.

--
Thank you and take care,
Paul
crackerjack1
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:44:55 AM

At the end of Avengers vs X-Men (or one of the mini-series between X-Sanction and Cable & X-Force) Cable woke up from his coma and took off.

Outside of that times are completely screwy:

1) Cap has been gone for over a year in Dimension Z already.
2) Thor is flying to various universes.
3) Iron Man will be joining the Guardians of the Galaxy, how will he be on any team on Earth?
4) Superior Spider-Man starts after the first arc of Avengers, but still a little weird having Peter part of that team right now.

Marvel already said they are going more story driven than universe (continuity) driven.

Current Pull List

Ongoing Series

All-New Ultimates, All-New X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Amazing X-Men, Angel & Faith, Avengers, Avengers World, Batman, Batman Eternal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Cyclops, Daredevil, Earth 2, East of West, Fantastic Four, Flash, Ghostbusters, Guardians of the Galaxy, Harley Quinn, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Injustice, Iron Fist, Justice League, Lazarus, Mega Man, Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man, New Avengers, New Warriors, Nova, Rocket Raccoon, Scooby-Doo, Scooby-Doo Team-Up, Sinestro, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Teen Titans, Teen Titans Go!, TMNT, TMNT New Animated Adventures, Tomb Raider, Ultimate Spider-Man, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, WWE Superstars, X-Men

Mini Series

Danger Girl: Mayday, Figment, Original Sin, Super Secret Crisis War, Superman Unchained, Tiny Titans: Return to the Treehouse, TMNT: Turtles in Time

All Spider-Man and TMNT Appearances and Variants
Nate77
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:09:23 AM

crackerjack1 wrote:
At the end of Avengers vs X-Men (or one of the mini-series between X-Sanction and Cable & X-Force) Cable woke up from his coma and took off.

Outside of that times are completely screwy:

1) Cap has been gone for over a year in Dimension Z already.
2) Thor is flying to various universes.
3) Iron Man will be joining the Guardians of the Galaxy, how will he be on any team on Earth?
4) Superior Spider-Man starts after the first arc of Avengers, but still a little weird having Peter part of that team right now.

Marvel already said they are going more story driven than universe (continuity) driven.

Huh, don't forget wolverine is in the savage land now as well, and has no idea how he got there. Wall

4 8 15 16 23 42

Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:09:29 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Nate77 wrote:

I firmly believe Disney has put sales quotas on Marvel comics. Big corporations don't like arms of their companies losing money (or not making enough), and Disney only bought Marvel to make movies and merchandise. They aren't interested in publishing comics (just look at how "invested" they've been over the years in publishing Disney comics based on their own characters).

The current climate at Marvel seems to be one of desperation. Since Disney bought Marvel the "events" have really gotten over the top, with substance often lacking.
puyaybusto
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:19:20 PM

As a guy who does not like anything Marvel, I am loving the new Hulk book. Probably because I never cared about Hulk prior to this NOW stuff. Everything else is just blah to me though.

roguesquad
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:04:04 PM

Havok and Polaris were members of X-factor when they got out of space. Havok then left to be an Avenger but Polaris is still there. They kind of broke up.

You didn't miss anything with Cable. They are doing the jump right in and explain in flashbacks approach. At least that's what it seems like.

All That I Need Are Things I Don't Need.