Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Amazing Spider-Man #192 Options
outcast
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 8:08:26 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

I just noticed today that the almost-ubiquitous Curtis Circulation Company emblem fails to appear on the cover of Amazing Spider-Man #192 (at this time, the emblem was typically placed under the price):

I have viewed cover scans on several sites, and all copies of this issue appear to be identical (there seems to be no differentiation between newsstand and direct-sales copies of this issue).

Does anyone know what's up with the missing CCC emblem?
Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 10:09:57 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I've noticed this too. Makes it stick out like a sore thumb. Always making my pulse jump when I find one, then realize it's just that one odd ASM issue.

I don't think there is any reason for the emblem missing, other than a goof.

freakdylan
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 10:42:25 AM

Groups: Member

I may be wrong but pretty sure that was when Marvel was ending the Whitman copies and moving to direct/newsstand only so they were trying out new covers and they were not distributed by Curtis.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

Thundercron
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 2:28:33 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

freakdylan wrote:
I may be wrong but pretty sure that was when Marvel was ending the Whitman copies and moving to direct/newsstand only so they were trying out new covers and they were not distributed by Curtis.

If they weren't distributed by Curtis, then wouldn't that mean there are NO newsstand copies of this in existence? Wasn't Curtis the only newsstand distributor?
freakdylan
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 4:10:46 PM

Groups: Member

Thundercron wrote:
freakdylan wrote:

If they weren't distributed by Curtis, then wouldn't that mean there are NO newsstand copies of this in existence? Wasn't Curtis the only newsstand distributor?

Correct
I know I read about this issue once before, think it was on the cgc forum and was essentially the same discussion about how Whitman was ending and Marvel was moving on to Direct and newsstands with different UPCs.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

outcast
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 6:41:40 PM
Groups: Member, Newsstand Edition Host

It's my impression (supported by appearance of triple-C emblems on covers) that Marvel had a distribution deal with Curtis from 1968 till ca. 2006. While I do believe Marvel also had a newsstand distribution deal with an unidentified other distributor ca. 1988–92, I can't see how that deal would have affected a 1979 issue.

Freakdylan's timing is right, though. The very next issue of Amazing Spider-Man, #193, is the first for which I can find scans of differentiable covers for both newsstand and direct-sales versions.