Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Bretts Comic Pile Options
freakdylan
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 8:40:04 PM

Groups: Member

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
i agree with doom 100% but the community is shrinking quit a bit... theres only a small handful now and member getting banned etc... i think theres a huge need for more advertisement

I make a living working online running a few websites and after several failed sites I learned (The hard way) if you dont put a certain percentage of your profits back into advertising it will always fail.

The 1st site I opened, 8 or so years ago took off and I made about 100k the fist year. I was so amazed how much I was making I just sat back, got fat and did nothing. The next year it only did 40k and still I did nothing, why should I it made me 40k doing almost nothing. The 3rd year I would have been lucky if it made $10k but smartened up and sold it.

Now I put a huge chunk of the money I make into advertising and upkeep and its still hard to make money.

Now not saying that is what owners here are doing, as I have no clue. this is just my 2 cents.

I will say though my biggest complaint about CCL is its pricing structure for stores. I sell a lot on Ebay and thought about selling here but just too damn expensive for the amount of traffic they get. I pretty much just sell signed and rare variants so cant justify opening a store here.
I wish they would offer different store options. Like do away with monthly fee but pay more per listing. This way I could really figure out my fees for a comic when listing. if I paid $0.25 for each comic and 5% fee then I know my bottom line. But if I list 50 comics and pay $15 a month for a year before they sell its bad biz.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicsCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

CrossbowComics
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 10:11:07 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Sales are pretty strong here, I don't think the site is going anywhere, I think the guys upstairs have realized things pretty much run themselves. The boards have been kind of dead partly because there's no updates to discuss, if they released version 4.0 tomorrow I'm sure there'd be lots of chatter.

Advertising is a plus but I'm not in the camp that thinks big expenditures are necessary, word of mouth and a smooth website would keep things hopping, you don't want to see guys posting about spending 3 hours shopping & having their cart dumped when the website goes down, he may never come back.

The bigger problem IMO is that pricing is better elsewhere & more books will leave the site to be sold in another venue. To have a good supply/demand balance either traffic has to improve or inventory has to leave & right now it's the latter.

future home - TreehouseComicShop.com

freakdylan
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 10:46:06 PM

CrossbowComics wrote:
Sales are pretty strong here, I don't think the site is going anywhere, I think the guys upstairs have realized things pretty much run themselves.

I would hope not, nothing runs itself. I can name a slew of websites that folded because the owners thought they just ran themselves. AOL made that mistake with Myspace and they got blown away with an ever updating Facebook.

Either way I only come here to buy and occasional add to DB when I can. The less stuff available just means will buy elsewhere. Thats the great thing about comics someone is always selling them somewhere, lol

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicsCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

43rdStreetComicBooks
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 11:06:12 PM

Yea Im in agreement with freaky, if the "guys upstairs" think it will be fine if they leave it alone, they are mistaken. Its just like anything else, it needs work even after its up and running, just like a car, what do you thinks gonna happen if all you do is put gas in it and drive but never do any maintenance??

Funny thing is I never saw any advertisement for the site before or since joining, I actually found it on I think it was like the 2nd or 3rd page of a google search I did for comic sales sites.

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convince the world he didn't exist"

www.43rdstreetmtgcards.com

www.43rdstreetcomicbooks.com

CrossbowComics
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 11:16:43 PM

Shop at My Store

freakdylan wrote:
CrossbowComics wrote:
Sales are pretty strong here, I don't think the site is going anywhere, I think the guys upstairs have realized things pretty much run themselves.

I would hope not, nothing runs itself. I can name a slew of websites that folded because the owners thought they just ran themselves. AOL made that mistake with Myspace and they got blown away with an ever updating Facebook.

Either way I only come here to buy and occasional add to DB when I can. The less stuff available just means will buy elsewhere. Thats the great thing about comics someone is always selling them somewhere, lol

We as stores run ourselves, I have a steady customer base here & also direct some traffic from Ebay, I just need someone to host my business. I'm sure many other sellers view it the same way. We can bring in the customers, just give me a site that functions well.

future home - TreehouseComicShop.com

Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 7:37:54 AM

Shop at My Store

CrossbowComics wrote:
Sales are pretty strong here, I don't think the site is going anywhere, I think the guys upstairs have realized things pretty much run themselves. The boards have been kind of dead partly because there's no updates to discuss, if they released version 4.0 tomorrow I'm sure there'd be lots of chatter.

Advertising is a plus but I'm not in the camp that thinks big expenditures are necessary, word of mouth and a smooth website would keep things hopping, you don't want to see guys posting about spending 3 hours shopping & having their cart dumped when the website goes down, he may never come back.

The bigger problem IMO is that pricing is better elsewhere & more books will leave the site to be sold in another venue. To have a good supply/demand balance either traffic has to improve or inventory has to leave & right now it's the latter.

When Brett left, I wondered if he would take his loyal customers with him (and that's a lot of customers). But since he didn't go elsewhere and effectively quit, all those customers still need to buy comics. Since Brett left, I've seen sales of my 80's/90's "common" stock go up (the ones that Brett seemed to have a stranglehold on). I'm also noticing that with many of those issues, the number on peoples' wishlists is greater than the copies available for sale here on CCL. And many of the copies for sale are only mid-grade. In the future, I won't be pricing these types of books so as to compete with a store like BCP (ie, just giving the books away for nothing). If other stores use their heads, I think prices will start to adjust upward over time.
Xylob
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:14:22 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

freakdylan wrote:
...Now I put a huge chunk of the money I make into advertising and upkeep and its still hard to make money.

Now not saying that is what owners here are doing, as I have no clue. this is just my 2 cents...
You don't have to.
When was the last time you saw an ad for CCL anywhere?
When was the last time you saw a major upgrade or improvement (fixing something that is broken absolutely DOES NOT count)?

Jim has done a great job of fixing some broken stuff and added a few cool things (I absolutely LOVE the fact that I can sort the stores by how many of my Wish List items they have), but the fact is the capital that's coming in is not being re-invested in the product/service.
I love seeing posts about how somebody bought a new car, or how 'we' are moving to a new office, getting new office furniture, going on trips, etc etc etc, but the product languishes...
Every 9 months or so Joe will pop in to tell us that there's a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes and "big things are coming soon!" but it's quite clear that what's going on is VERY FAR behind the scenes and his definition of "soon!" doesn't match any conventional definition of that word.

I do not envy Jim or the tasks that have been placed on his shoulders - I definitely don't envy the expectations that have (in most cases unrealistically and unfairly) been heaped upon him.
Jim is fighting the good fight here for all of us, but usually just ends up getting dumped on for his efforts...

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 11:49:33 AM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Thundercron wrote:
CrossbowComics wrote:

When Brett left, I wondered if he would take his loyal customers with him (and that's a lot of customers). But since he didn't go elsewhere and effectively quit, all those customers still need to buy comics. Since Brett left, I've seen sales of my 80's/90's "common" stock go up (the ones that Brett seemed to have a stranglehold on). I'm also noticing that with many of those issues, the number on peoples' wishlists is greater than the copies available for sale here on CCL. And many of the copies for sale are only mid-grade. In the future, I won't be pricing these types of books so as to compete with a store like BCP (ie, just giving the books away for nothing). If other stores use their heads, I think prices will start to adjust upward over time.

For sure. I'm one of those 80s and 90s common issue buyers (it was my childhood). Brett's was my main store around here. When he left I started frequenting Bamf's and Blue Moon Comics a lot more.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Xylob
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 12:05:16 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

BurningDoom wrote:
...I'm one of those 80s and 90s common issue buyers (it was my childhood). Brett's was my main store around here. When he left I started frequenting Bamf's and Blue Moon Comics a lot more.
Indeed, I'm not looking for 'new' stuff - if it interests me I buy it when it comes out.
I need to fill in the gaps in my collection and the overwhelming majority of that is 80 & 90s. What's killing me is I know that most of what I'm looking for was printed in MASSIVE volumes, but for whatever reason I can't find it or the seller has 12 copies but wants $15 a piece for them even though they aren't "major" issues and are in beat up condition.
Apparently nostalgia for the speculator days has caused respeculation?

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 4:36:45 PM

Shop at My Store

Xylob wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
...I'm one of those 80s and 90s common issue buyers (it was my childhood). Brett's was my main store around here. When he left I started frequenting Bamf's and Blue Moon Comics a lot more.
Indeed, I'm not looking for 'new' stuff - if it interests me I buy it when it comes out.
I need to fill in the gaps in my collection and the overwhelming majority of that is 80 & 90s. What's killing me is I know that most of what I'm looking for was printed in MASSIVE volumes, but for whatever reason I can't find it or the seller has 12 copies but wants $15 a piece for them even though they aren't "major" issues and are in beat up condition.
Apparently nostalgia for the speculator days has caused respeculation?

Are you referring to CCL stores trying to sell beat up commons for $15? I haven't seen that here...