Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Top 5 Favorite Artists Options
thomas4d4
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 12:11:14 AM

Groups: Member

abachniv wrote:
As good of a list as it is (CBR), I take it with a grain of salt. Brian Bolland and Dave McKean should be so much higher on the list, for example. Again, it's voting from comic fans, many of who have no clue of anything artistic, just what they think is pretty.

But really, the top three I have trouble arguing against. But a lot of it is a popularity contest.

I know!!! Can you believe that there are people who don't like Chaykin on these boards!!!Not Talking

And what about Lou Fine or Frazetta! They're not even on the list!

Actually I don't care for Jim Lee's work. It's too bubble gummie for me. He's got that Image taint.Loser

Come check out the new story line in
The BRILLIANT BELLA
as BELLA meets the legendary GOLEM and finds herself with
"FEET OF CLAY".
Written by Thomas Morrison and drawn by Tiina Birgitta Räisänen.
gilbertotorres
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 6:50:02 PM

my top 5:

alex schomburg
l.b cole
lou fine
neal adams
frank frazetta
thomas4d4
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 8:48:17 PM

Tied for 7th place with 6 votes -

voted #13 on Comic Book Resource's list of top 50 Artist is;

Steve Ditko

After a short stint in the military after World War II, Steve Ditko studied at the Cartoonists and Illustrators School, and by 1953, he was working in the field of comics, for Crestwood, Harvey and Charlton Comics.

Soon, he found himself steady work at Atlas Comics for the rest of the 50s, working on the relaunched titles Amazing Adventures, Strange Worlds, Tales of Suspense and Tales to Astonish, which soon became the most popular titles from Atlas Comics (soon to be known as Marvel Comics).

In 1962, Ditko co-created Spider-Man with Stan Lee. It was working on Spider-Man and Doctor Strange that Ditko gained the majority of his fame.

A master of economy, Ditko stories were often packed with many panels, giving each story a depth of plot that made each issue a hearty reading experience.

His art was always very cleanly detailed, and he was a master of creating the right mood with his work, and, as I mentioned, with the amount of panels he used, he could convey the deepest of emotions in one small panel, making a five-page story feel like a 22-pager.

Check out this example from a page of Amazing Spider-Man...

Meanwhile, on Doctor Strange, Ditko cut loose with surreal ideas, like introducing Eternity.

Eventually, Ditko seemed to desire more freedom with his work (he had taken on more and more writing work on his strips), so he left Marvel for Charlton Comics, where he was given a good deal of freedom.

He worked on Captain Atom, Blue Beetle and The Question, and in addition, he created Mr. A for Wally Wood's independent company.

When Dick Giordano left Charlton for DC, Ditko was one of the creators he brought with him, and Ditko did some work for DC in the late 60s/early 70s, including creating The Creeper and co-creating Hawk and Dove.

Soon, though, Ditko went back to Charlton and independent companies, only returning to DC brielfy in the mid-70s, where he created Shade the Changing Man.

Ditko came back to work for Marvel in the early 80s, and from then on until his retirement from mainstream comics in the late 90s, he would work for either company as a freelancer, doing a number of titles as eclectic as Rom the Space Knight, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers and Indiana Jones.

Since the late 90s, Ditko has only released a few one-shots sporadically, mostly for his longtime friend, Robin Snyder.

The BRILLIANT BELLA
"FEET OF CLAY".
thomas4d4
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 9:00:57 PM

Tied for 11th place with 5 votes -

voted #34 on Comic Book Resource's list of top 50 Artist is;

Barry Windsor Smith

Barry Windsor-Smith made his debut as a young man when he approached Marvel Editor Roy Thomas, and came away with a gig drawing the X-Men.

Smith really rose to prominence, though, a few years later as the artist of Marvel's adaptation of Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian character.

The book was a smash hit, and Smith was a star.

Soon after this, though, Smith withdrew from regular comic work, to work more with painting, as the pre-raphaelite influence was already becoming apparent in his comic book work, but now he was embracing it fully.

Smith returned occasionally to do some notable comic book, specifically some X-Men issues with Chris Claremont that were very well-received, as well as a larger return for Valiant Comics in the early 90s, with some lush, gorgeous work on Archer and Armstrong.

Smith also contributed Rune to the Ultraverse.

Most recently, Smith has announced he will be doing a Thing graphic novel for Marvel Comics.

The BRILLIANT BELLA
"FEET OF CLAY".
jamnloki
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 9:16:05 PM

Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host

SpidermanCavy wrote:
abachniv wrote:
Again, it's voting from comic fans, many of who have no clue of anything artistic, just what they think is pretty.

But really, the top three I have trouble arguing against. But a lot of it is a popularity contest.

Rolling on the Floor

R.I.P. Morgan Anthony Jacques

R.I.P. TRACY L. BROWN

** Make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules **:HERE
jamnloki
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 9:16:35 PM

Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host

cheers to thomas for posting stats ....Applause

R.I.P. Morgan Anthony Jacques

R.I.P. TRACY L. BROWN

** Make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules **:HERE
thomas4d4
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:32:52 AM

Tied for 11th place with 5 votes -

voted #23 on Comic Book Resource's list of top 50 Artist is;

Steve McNiven

Steve McNiven was a schoolteacher for years before finally feeling he was ready to start looking for a professional gig drawing comics. In his very first con, looking for work, McNiven's talent was noticed by Crossgen comics, which hired him to follow Joshua Middleton as regular artist for Crossgen's Meridian, with writer Barbara Kesel.

He stayed with Crossgen until it was clear the company was going under, at which point McNiven went to Marvel Comics, where he became the artist for Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa's Marvel Knights: Four.

People were quite impressed with McNiven's detailed work which was just stylized enough not to be photo-realistic.

After a stint on Ultimate Secret and New Avengers, McNiven took over the biggest assignment of his career, drawing Marvel's big crossover event, Civil War, with writer Mark Millar.

McNiven is still doing Civil War at this point in time.

The BRILLIANT BELLA
"FEET OF CLAY".
thomas4d4
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:47:39 AM

Tied for 13th place with 4 votes -

voted #12 on Comic Book Resource's list of top 50 Artist is;

Mike Mignola

When Mike Mignola broke into the comic industry in the early 80s, his style was unlike most other artists, as his characters were generally a lot blockier than other artists. This style only got more dramatic the more well-known he got, as he was able to experiment more.

After a few DC mini-series with this blockier, shadowy style, Mignola soon gained higher profile assignments with the style, using it on a number of Superman issues during John Byrne's run, and then, on Jim Starlin's mini-series, Cosmic Odyssey.

After drawing Gotham by Gaslight, the popular one-shot that began DC's Elseworlds line of comics, Mignola was busy on a number of special projects until 1994, when Mignola joined with other notable artists such as John Byrne and Frank Miller to do creator-owned work for Dark Horse Comics.

Mignola's entry was Hellboy, whose gothic nature fit Mignola's style beautifully.

Hellboy was a massive success, who continues to this day, with a movie version (and a sequel forthcoming).

Mignola was now a heavily in demand artist for art design for film and animation, and he did work designing Bram Stoker's Dracula, Atlantis: The Lost Empire in 2001 and Blade II.

Recently, Mignola helped adapt a one-shot he did, The Amazing Screw-On Head, for an animated TV program.

The BRILLIANT BELLA
"FEET OF CLAY".
thomas4d4
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:00:05 AM

[quote=thomas4d4]Tied for 13th place with 4 votes -

voted #30 on Comic Book Resource's list of top 50 Artist is;

Todd McFarlane

Todd McFarlane first gained attention in the comic industry with a back-up story in Epic Comics' Coyote.

This led to assignments at both DC and Marvel. His run on Incredible Hulk was popular enough that Marvel decided to bump him up to a bigger book, Amazing Spider-Man.

On Amazing Spider-Man, McFarlane experimented with the look of the character, his costume and his webbing. McFarlane added a cartoony feel to the work, but also a dynamic cartoonish feel.

McFarlane was soon so popular on the title that Marvel gave him his own Spider-Man series to write and draw. Spider-Man #1 was one of the highest selling comics of all-time.

Soon, McFarlane helped form the comic company Image, debuting his own creation, Spawn, and making IT one of the highest selling comics on the market.

Spawn has had a movie and a animated TV series.

McFarlane recently announced a return to drawing, after a long absence, for the DC/Image crossover, Batman/Spawn.

The BRILLIANT BELLA
"FEET OF CLAY".
Philli
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:44:38 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

1. Mike Ploog
2. Javier Salteres
3. Sam Keith
4. Mark Texeira
5. Adam Kubert

MR_COLLECTOR
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 4:53:19 PM

1) Bernie Wrightson
2) Jack Kirby
3) Frank Frazetta
4) George Perez
5) Wally Wood

thalesalacobra
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:37:13 AM

In no particular order - these are the artist that I have to say that I'd buy any book they did the art for regardless of the writer (if they're still in the land of the living, of course):

-Mike Mingola
-Leinil Yu
-Ryan Ottley (I'm actually surprised I didn't see him on more lists)
-Riley Rossmo

and of course:
-Jack "King" Kirby

But I know there are loads more artists out there that I love seeing interiors by, I just wish more of them had sketchbooks or art blogs.
kevscomics
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:04:48 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

thalesalacobra wrote:
In no particular order - these are the artist that I have to say that I'd buy any book they did the art for regardless of the writer (if they're still in the land of the living, of course):

-Mike Mingola
-Leinil Yu
-Ryan Ottley (I'm actually surprised I didn't see him on more lists)
-Riley Rossmo

and of course:
-Jack "King" Kirby

But I know there are loads more artists out there that I love seeing interiors by, I just wish more of them had sketchbooks or art blogs.

Huge Ottley Fan!...Love his work on Invincible, and A Signed Copy of his TWD #100 cover is one of the center pieces in my office
BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:27:50 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

thomas4d4 wrote:
[quote=thomas4d4]Tied for 13th place with 4 votes -

voted #30 on Comic Book Resource's list of top 50 Artist is;

Todd McFarlane

Todd McFarlane first gained attention in the comic industry with a back-up story in Epic Comics' Coyote.

This led to assignments at both DC and Marvel. His run on Incredible Hulk was popular enough that Marvel decided to bump him up to a bigger book, Amazing Spider-Man.

On Amazing Spider-Man, McFarlane experimented with the look of the character, his costume and his webbing. McFarlane added a cartoony feel to the work, but also a dynamic cartoonish feel.

McFarlane was soon so popular on the title that Marvel gave him his own Spider-Man series to write and draw. Spider-Man #1 was one of the highest selling comics of all-time.

Soon, McFarlane helped form the comic company Image, debuting his own creation, Spawn, and making IT one of the highest selling comics on the market.

Spawn has had a movie and a animated TV series.

McFarlane recently announced a return to drawing, after a long absence, for the DC/Image crossover, Batman/Spawn.

He was quite good. WAS being the key word. He hasn't done anything of worth for years. The way he comes off, he seems quite full of himself too, which really puts me off.

But way back when he was an artist, and not "better than everyone else", he was quite good.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
aaus
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 2:34:55 PM

My List:

Jim Lee
John Romita Jr.
John Byrne
Joe Quesada
Humberto Ramos

Now I realize that initial "J" could be an important requirement for me:)

“Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.”
aaus
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 2:38:26 PM

I also admire cover works of James Jean (I can almost hear you say "Who doesn't?")

“Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.”
rook68
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:43:18 AM

All time five? Hmmm..that is tough. I have always admired guys like Jack Kirby, Sal Buscema, and Herb Trimpe growing up. Guys I like now..the late Michael Turner, David Finch, Jim Lee, Doug Manke and Ivan Reis. One of the main reasons I have read a lot of DC titles these past four or five years.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson