Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Confessions of a comicaholic Options
comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 10:08:10 AM
Groups: Member, Moderator

By the way. I recently "discovered" the wish list feature here on CCL. I have an extremely eccentric wish list and this feature has been ;ike mined gold for me lately.

Way to go CCL!
comicuniversity
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 4:45:23 PM

2 purchases from comics4less right here on CCL!

I got the next two things on my wishlist:

Top Dog #5

And, a high grade copy of Top Dog #2 to upgrade my low grade copy.

Also got Amazing Spiderman #275, Secret Wars #5 (almost have the complete set of Secret Wars and Secret wars II) and some mid 80's Thing, Thor, Daredevil, Adventures of Superman and Teen Titans.

I am thinking of putting him on my preferred buyer list. His purchases came really fast, very securely packaged and exactly as described (and he listed almost everything I saw in his store at NM-, so I was skeptical).
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 7:47:01 PM

Groups: Member

yeah comics4less is a great store.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

comicuniversity
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 10:54:54 AM

Finally realized another real difficult collecting goal. This is the second in the last year (many of you on here will remember my quest for that Animal Crackers comic from early 1950).

I finally got my CGC slabbed 9.6 Armor #1 red label newstand variant.

I now own one of only 3 graded copies of this comic (and this is the highest of the three grades.

I got it from a dealer I met through the CGC forums (where I had a "want to buy" thread running for this item)

His handle is Rich_Henn.

Ok, The comic came well packaged. He also was the only person in the world (literally) who had this item. So, I did business with him and paid his price.

His communication was the issue. Like many on the CGC forum, he was very, for lack of a better word, elitist.

I don't want to go too far badmouthing him because the transaction was a successful one. It's just that he was very prickly and difficult to deal with.
I would deal with him again, I suppose. But only if its on an item that he alone has, and at a price that is set before we even start to do business, so that communication is not even really necessary.
comicuniversity
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:01:19 AM

So....2 big collecting goals completed in the last year:

1) Animal Crackers #31
2) Armor #1 red Label Variant CGC slabbed 9.6.

Those are both exceedingly rare items. In fact, the Armor #1 is a one of a kind slabbed in the grade!

It suits my collector's ego to have those babies.

I think the next really hard thing on my list is:

Daring Mystery Comics #1 from 1940.

This won't be quite as hard to find, but it'll cost me a pretty penny.
comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:06:57 PM

Ok, I said that I had done some comic buying during my daughters recovery from surgery.

Well, I did go overboard. I got the next 8 things on my wishlist, plus a lot of filler from all over my wishlist. Now I am just waiting for a coupla purchases from here on CCL and one more ebay purchase to arrive and my latest spending spree will be over.

Yesterday this baby arrived in the mail:

Tomb of Dracula #11

It is a sweet VF or VF+ copy too. Really nice eye appeal. This one was important because most of my comic spending had gone into the mid 80's recently. it was nice to pick up something for my Silver Age haul.

I also completed bagging my entire unread chronological collection last night. That's about 20,000 comics all nicely ensconced in brand new mylar. Man, that job took my forever. Back when I was single, no kids that woulda taken me a week. As it is, it took me half a year. lol.
aaus
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 2:38:08 AM

Last weekend, I could finally find time to finish organizing my comicbooks. There is not a even a single issue left without bags and boards now.

It took significant amount of time, but it’s worth it. Now I need a couple of short boxes more, I think.

“Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.”
comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:07:12 AM

Couple of recent orders from CCL: Thundercron and Alphacomics. ALpha is taking longer than usual to ship, but his grading has gotten very tight, so that's a plus. He still remains on my absolute go-to seller list. Thundercron has had two positive purchases in a row after a negative one a few years ago, so they are moving up my list.
Got a mishmash of stuff:

The next 2 things on my wish list: Thunderbunny #7 and Atari Force #2

Plus some other good stuff. Pacific Comics' Groo, 1970's Fear, 1970's Machine Man, Hercules LS, Dazzler, Avengers West Coast, Transformers (original Marvel) #3 etc. etc. Basically some real good filler.

Then I got this gem!

Avengers Annual #1

And it's very nice. I would conservatively grade it a FN/VF, without really examining it closely.

What a lineup.

Mandarin, Swordsman, PowerMan, Living laser, Executioner and the Enchantress VS.
Iron Man, Hercules, Thor, Goliath, Wasp, Hawkeye, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and Captain America.

Just an awesome addition!

comicuniversity
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:45:36 PM

FYI. I am gearing up for Free Comic Book Day.

I usually get the whole family together and head out early. Milwaukee has a large number of comic stores per capita.
We hit all of them and we get (between the 4 of us) a huge stack of free comics. Plus, I usually get some fun stuff, like signatures from a few creators, some stuff off my wishlist, pictures of cosplayers and all that stuff.

I'll definitely post a story afterwards. Also, I am considering taking the boy to see Iron Man 3 the night before, but haven't decided yet. I have the usual NFL draft festivities with me and my football maniac friends, plus a buddy has decided to celecbrate his birthday this year on Friday at a friggin' steak house, beer league Kickball just started ( and all that entails), Just paid up the boy's high school tuition(goddamned catholic schools), plus FCBD...so I might have to cut the entertainment expenses this week and go see Iron Man a few weeks later.

As an aside, I have a group of 4 people going to 6 comic stores with me. We will be able to get every single FCBD book, plus multiples. If there are any CCLers who don't have the opportunity I have, just let me know a book or two you really want, and i'll try to grab it for you (keep in mind, I can only do this for a coupla people, so first come first served). I'll be happy to send them to you for only the cost of shipping. Just lemme know. I'm pretty lucky, comicwise, here in Milwaukee
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2013 7:48:13 PM

I don't post here nearly as much as I used to. And that isn't likely to change soon. Sorry for those who enjoy these.

I am going to post about this: My son and I have decided to try to watch every single comic book superhero movie that has ever hit the big screen while he is on summer break. And we are going to rank them>

Here are my rankings so far:

1) INCREDIBLE HULK

2)AMAZING SPIDERMAN

3) CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER

4) IRON MAN 2

5) THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN

6) IRON MAN 3

Please feel free to comment on my rankings.

comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 10:17:55 PM

Anyone agree? Disagree?
teh_longinator
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 10:27:59 PM

comicuniversity wrote:
Anyone agree? Disagree?

Definitely disagree. I didn't enjoy Captain America too much, and I almost walked out of the theater during Spider-Man. I get that Parker was the awkward kid, but come on... that movie was PAINFUL. Also... they went through the effort to have given him webshooters. HAVE HIM RUN OUT OF WEBBING. Seriously. At one point in the movie, just have him try to get somewhere, and be like "OH CRAP IM OUT". The comics were all about that. How he had no money, and had to use it sparingly... and running out!

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 3:50:56 PM

I remembered league of Extraordianry Gentlemen differently. I liked it quite a bit better this time around than I did on my first viewing years ago.
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 3:52:11 PM

teh_longinator wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:
Anyone agree? Disagree?

Definitely disagree. I didn't enjoy Captain America too much, and I almost walked out of the theater during Spider-Man. I get that Parker was the awkward kid, but come on... that movie was PAINFUL. Also... they went through the effort to have given him webshooters. HAVE HIM RUN OUT OF WEBBING. Seriously. At one point in the movie, just have him try to get somewhere, and be like "OH CRAP IM OUT". The comics were all about that. How he had no money, and had to use it sparingly... and running out!

lol. And, this is a common complaint. And my answer is always the same. you CANNOT watch a movie based on a comic character and get mad when it doesn't comform to the comics. You're just setting urself up to hate a lot of movies.

That being said, I didnt really like the Garfield kid that much either.
teh_longinator
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 6:01:28 PM

comicuniversity wrote:
teh_longinator wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:
Anyone agree? Disagree?

lol. And, this is a common complaint. And my answer is always the same. you CANNOT watch a movie based on a comic character and get mad when it doesn't comform to the comics. You're just setting urself up to hate a lot of movies.

That being said, I didnt really like the Garfield kid that much either.

I understand that. Believe me, I do. I actually don't mind when they take certain liberties with characters (I mean, look at any other movie). My gripe is with the fact that they gave him webshooters specifically because of the complaints about the organic. At least have him run out once! He was wasting webbing left right and center.

Also, yeah... Garfield is not a good actor IMO. The movie had FAR too many awkward silence moments in it. I know Parker is awkward and whatnot, but that does not make for a very interesting movie.

Cave Comics
I buy comics so that I can sell comics, to buy more comics.

Check out my eBay listings at http://www.ebay.ca/sch/tehlonginator/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
kevscomics
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 6:09:35 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber, Super Seller

I dug Garfield, actually without going overboard, I really dug him, thought the movie was way better than the Tobey McGuire series...I know the series is called ASM, but I really believe that the guys behind the movie are pulling a lot of inspiration from the ultimate spidey series...just the way they are presenting different characters, I know, Gwen looks way more conventional than the ultimate spidey version, but look at what they are going to do with Electro, nothing like the ASM version, looks a lot like the ultimate version. I had just finished reading ultimate 1-150 within a few months of watching this, and I really liked it. lol...
Thundercron
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 6:19:49 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

All right, I'll give my two cents. And since I haven't seen LoEG, I'll leave that one out.

1. Iron Man 3. Yep, I'm on this side of the fence. I went into this movie in detail in the Iron Man 3 threads, so I won't repeat myself since that thread is so recent. Bottom line, I loved this movie and thought it took some risks that paid off storywise. It went places that I totally didn't expect it to, and that was a breath of fresh air.

2. Incredible Hulk. I really enjoyed this one, even though I thought some of the cast members from Ang Lee's version were the superior choices (with the exception of Eddie Norton in this one).

3. Amazing Spider-Man. I went into this one wanting to hate it, but wound up enjoying it. It might have ranked higher than Incredible Hulk on my list, but I thought the Lizard was one of the most uninteresting/uncompelling villains in recent memory.

4. Captain America. Not a bad movie per se, but just not exciting. When you realize this movie only exists to bring Captain America from the 1940's to the 2000's in time for the Avengers movie, and that it follows the comic story to a tee, it just seemed very going-thru-the-motions. We know from the get-go that the end scene will involve Cap in a plane that crashes into the ice shelf. And how about the confrontation between Cap and Red Skull that never happened? Cap busts into the room, and the Red Skull blows himself up accidentally with the Tuskarat. No final battle at all. What a letdown.

5. Iron Man 2. The only movie from this list I hated. This movie lacked tension, and was replaced with slapstick comedy. A compelling storyline (superhero alcoholic) was dumbed down for cheap laughs. And an awesome villain was wasted--he didn't do anything! Just sat behind a computer building robots for most of the movie.
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 10:32:21 PM

Should I put this in the "movies" section?
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 10:33:57 PM

kevscomics wrote:
I dug Garfield, actually without going overboard, I really dug him, thought the movie was way better than the Tobey McGuire series...I know the series is called ASM, but I really believe that the guys behind the movie are pulling a lot of inspiration from the ultimate spidey series...just the way they are presenting different characters, I know, Gwen looks way more conventional than the ultimate spidey version, but look at what they are going to do with Electro, nothing like the ASM version, looks a lot like the ultimate version. I had just finished reading ultimate 1-150 within a few months of watching this, and I really liked it. lol...

Oh man. I loooovvvveeed the first Tobie Maguire Spider-Man. Liked the second one an awful lot too. I mean, I know taste is a subjective thing, but Spider-Man is a far superior movie to Amazing Spider-Man IMHO.

And, point well taken on the Ultimate spin.
kevscomics
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 9:24:58 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber, Super Seller

comicuniversity wrote:
kevscomics wrote:

Oh man. I loooovvvveeed the first Tobie Maguire Spider-Man. Liked the second one an awful lot too. I mean, I know taste is a subjective thing, but Spider-Man is a far superior movie to Amazing Spider-Man IMHO.

And, point well taken on the Ultimate spin.

I liked the Tobey McGuire films, and again, I haven't read a whole lot of ASM, but I have read the ultimate series, so for me, Garfield looks more the part, super, super skinny, lol - and of course the Martin Sheen/Sally Field combo doesn't hurt. I am also a bit of an Emma Stone Fan, I really like her as Gwen Stacy, rumor is #2 will tell the GS death story...I read an article on that, and they had on set pictures of her in a very similar outfit to the one she wore in the comic death story. the one thing that got me the most about the TM series, was that the web shooters were a biological thing, not "shooters", Is that ever a part of the story?, I mean, he always had the web shooters right? not the biological alternative?, I really don't know the answer... I pretty much like all comic movies, I am not really a critic, but I think ultimately, looking back, the ASM series will be better than the original series, I may be proven wrong, lol