Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Good idea to "slab"...? Options
freakdylan
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 8:26:18 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

comicuniversity wrote:
as far as the guy who says you arent getting 25x the value of a raw book. I mean, maybe you're right, technically. But, I am right in spirit.

That statement which you made earlier in the thread has bugged me since I read it. I buy tons of CGC books if the price is right and about 90% of them I release from there Poycarbonate prison. Yet I cant for the life of me think of a single Spiderman comic that garners 25x its raw value if graded a 9.8.

comicuniversity wrote:
Any CGC book graded 9.8 or higher is going to fetch many times what a raw copy would. (of course, if you factor in cost of grading that skews things bit for sure...but for pure selling price, you know what i mean?)

You also have to factor in the lower grade cost. About 10% of brand new books get a lower grade then 9.8 when submitted. So if you send in a brand new ASM #700 and it comes back at 9.6 which sell for about $30 then you have a break even book. If it grades lower you lose money.

Now that being said if you collect them simply because you like the way they look more power to you, but its an expensive hobby. Your paying $70 for the exact same ASM #700 I paid $8 for :). You could just buy a BCW comic showcase case for $5 and save some money, lol

kevscomics
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 8:33:16 AM

Groups: Member

freakdylan wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:
as far as the guy who says you arent getting 25x the value of a raw book. I mean, maybe you're right, technically. But, I am right in spirit.

That statement which you made earlier in the thread has bugged me since I read it. I buy tons of CGC books if the price is right and about 90% of them I release from there Poycarbonate prison. Yet I cant for the life of me think of a single Spiderman comic that garners 25x its raw value if graded a 9.8.

comicuniversity wrote:
Any CGC book graded 9.8 or higher is going to fetch many times what a raw copy would. (of course, if you factor in cost of grading that skews things bit for sure...but for pure selling price, you know what i mean?)

You also have to factor in the lower grade cost. About 10% of brand new books get a lower grade then 9.8 when submitted. So if you send in a brand new ASM #700 and it comes back at 9.6 which sell for about $30 then you have a break even book. If it grades lower you lose money.

Now that being said if you collect them simply because you like the way they look more power to you, but its an expensive hobby. Your paying $70 for the exact same ASM #700 I paid $8 for :). You could just buy a BCW comic showcase case for $5 and save some money, lol

You take them out of the graded case? Again, I have no knowledge on graded books...but don't u have to basically break the case to get them out?...Why do you get them out?, just wondering...
freakdylan
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 8:50:29 AM

kevscomics wrote:
You take them out of the graded case? Again, I have no knowledge on graded books...but don't u have to basically break the case to get them out?...Why do you get them out?, just wondering...

Yep crack the case and cut the book out of the inner liner. Well its all about price to me. So I crack them for 2 reasons.

1. If I find a spiderman book I collect and can get for same price as ungraded then buy the slabbed and crack and add to collection. This just adds a little extra insurance the book is proper grade when I buy. Now usually with this the shipping is 3x normal due to CGC so has to be a higher value book to make it worth paying the shipping.

2. Its cheaper in some case to buy a CGC book then a raw unslabbed book. Right now I am on a quest to own every single Amazing Spiderman including variants from #1-700. Now to try and buy all in NM or 9.8 condition would make it impossible. So in some cases a variant in 9.4 condition will sell for less then the price of a ungraded issue, so is worth it to me, and 9.4 is still a nice book.

kevscomics
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 9:00:37 AM

Ahh, ok, I get it...So how far our are you from reaching your goal on the ASM's?
freakdylan
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 9:16:30 AM

kevscomics wrote:
Ahh, ok, I get it...So how far our are you from reaching your goal on the ASM's?

A ways, hitting the high priced ones now. Have 250-600 including all variants. Missing about 20 variants from 600-700 then it will be done (not including the #666 variant mess, but saving those for last). Also have a few of the lower issues between 1-250 (about 30 of them). So about 250 comics shy. My plan is by end of year to have everything except 1-100 then sell my soul for other 100, lol.

I probably would have been done by now, but I had to get every other spiderman series and all variants as well so that took huge chunk of change, but all done.

kevscomics
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 9:19:04 AM

freakdylan wrote:
kevscomics wrote:

A ways, hitting the high priced ones now. Have 250-600 including all variants. Missing about 20 variants from 600-700 then it will be done (not including the #666 variant mess, but saving those for last). Also have a few of the lower issues between 1-250 (about 30 of them). So about 250 comics shy. My plan is by end of year to have everything except 1-100 then sell my soul for other 100, lol.

I probably would have been done by now, but I had to get every other spiderman series and all variants as well so that took huge chunk of change, but all done.

Very nice, what kind of condition do you have to have for the 1-100's?, just wondering, in case I come across some steals...
freakdylan
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 9:41:13 AM

kevscomics wrote:
Very nice, what kind of condition do you have to have for the 1-100's?, just wondering, in case I come across some steals...

I havent decided yet. Right now 200-700 all VF/NM but thinking I might go for F/VF on 100-200 and Fine for 1-100, except for #1 that may end up being a coverless comic used for kindling and weekend umbrella, lol

BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 2:07:36 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

If you're looking to just re-sell it at a higher price, then yeah, it's worth it.

Personally, I wouldn't, just because I read and re-read all my comics and slabbing it prevents just that.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here