Log In Forums Help
Comic Collector Live
Home :: CCL Messageboard
Find Comics for Sale
Items For Sale
All Comics For Sale
New Releases
CGC Comics
Bundled Lots
Store Locator
Search Library
Search By Title
Publisher
Story Arc
Character
Credits
Release Date
Change Request Manager
News & Reviews
Reviews
News
Our Products and Services
Get the Software
Buying Comics And Stuff
Selling Your Comics
Opening A Store
Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Why are Comic collectors Stereotyped? Options
Jshock80
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:51:42 PM

Rank: Sidekick
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 9/17/2011
Posts: 69
Points: 207
Hi Guys I have a question to ask and was just wondering if anybody else out there feels the same, but why is it the comic collecting is not accepted in society? I swear if you are having a conversation with somebody or you tell them you are a comic collector why is it that you are instantly labeled a geek, nerd or cellar dweller, I don't know why but it really pisses me off, just because we read something that is just like a book except with great artwork, we are labeled and for the life of me I cant understand why, does anybody else feel this way? I am just asking for my own curiosity.
BruceReville
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:10:29 PM

Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/21/2010
Posts: 959
Points: 2,877
I think it has been engrained in our society that comics were not forms of art and literature but as my Mom would put it -- "Funny Books" - whether it was Spider-Man, Batman, or Richie Rich they were all seen as adolescent entertainment and normally those that read them were not associated with the "In" crowd. Though it is changing with the release of some seriously good superhero movies and television shows it is opening eyes of others to see that these are not just "Funny Books" but actually pretty damn good. Me however, I will gladly wear my Geek/Nerd badge proudly and know I was there from the beginning and not a movie bandwagon rider.

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Collect Again --- VARIANTS STRIKE!



Xylob
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:16:07 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Joined: 8/12/2007
Posts: 7,877
Points: 64,230
All stereotypes exist for a reason...
Some are spot on, some are based on mis-perception or misunderstanding of what is observed.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
Jshock80
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:40:23 PM

Rank: Sidekick
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 9/17/2011
Posts: 69
Points: 207
guys I see your point and I will freely admit I did not start re-collecting to a buddy of mine got me back into it and I love it I agree that the books are much better written and the storys are much more adult themed not everything but some, it just aggravates me and I needed to put it out there I really honestly don't care what people think I am I know who I am and if they want to think I am a nerd or whatever go right ahead I just needed to get that of my chest, it was awesome being at NYCC for those 4 days because you were able to talk freely about anything you wanted and it was just a cool feeling not to feel like you had too llok over your shoulder
BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:42:58 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Joined: 1/5/2007
Posts: 12,398
Points: 59,872
Location: Redding, CA
I am the stereotype. Encyclopedic knowledge on useless comic book trivia, completely into geeky things like Star Trek and Horror Movies, and socially awkward. However I at least do not live in my mom's basement or her house, and I'm not a virgin (I'm even married to an attractive woman).

So I'm really not doing much to help the cause.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:42:09 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 4/19/2007
Posts: 11,237
Points: 1,898,688
Location: PA
When you were at CCL did you not see an abnormally large number of people that fit the stereotype?

I've been to Chicago and Philly and Baltimore cons. As, xylob said, stereotypes happen for a reason.



Besides, at least we're not these guys... (g'ah, I had no idea these dumb forums didn't allow for "potentially dangerous" YouTube embedding!)'

Bronies the Movie

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
kisstour03
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:24:26 PM

Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 12/24/2012
Posts: 300
Points: 900
Location: Canada
I refuse to hide the fact I'm a "nerd". I read comics and collect toys and watch old horror and sci-fi movies. Love it or go away. Where I work I'm the lone comic collector/reader. I'm pretty up front with my comic/toy collecting hobby at work and most everyone gets a kick out of how happy and excited I get when a new stack of books or a new toy arrives in the mail. When Wednesdays roll around one girl I work with usually asks me "Anything new and superheroey coming in the mail this week? It's new comic day." Customers love my Superman coffee mug and my Superman lanyard for my security card. And they like my Oscar the Grouch belt buckle. People who come to our house for a visit are treated to a tour of the comic/toy room and everyone smiles when they see it. Which is good because you're not allowed to frown in the comic room.
Shadowdodger
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:52:41 PM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/19/2007
Posts: 2,646
Points: 7,938
Location: Worcester, MA
kisstour03 wrote:
I refuse to hide the fact I'm a "nerd". I read comics and collect toys and watch old horror and sci-fi movies. Love it or go away. Where I work I'm the lone comic collector/reader. I'm pretty up front with my comic/toy collecting hobby at work and most everyone gets a kick out of how happy and excited I get when a new stack of books or a new toy arrives in the mail. When Wednesdays roll around one girl I work with usually asks me "Anything new and superheroey coming in the mail this week? It's new comic day." Customers love my Superman coffee mug and my Superman lanyard for my security card. And they like my Oscar the Grouch belt buckle. People who come to our house for a visit are treated to a tour of the comic/toy room and everyone smiles when they see it. Which is good because you're not allowed to frown in the comic room.


Where's the "like" button on this thing?

Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"


Bamf!!!! Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Comic Hunter Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
KnifeTricks
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 12:43:32 AM

Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Forum Admin, Member, Moderator

Joined: 8/31/2008
Posts: 353
Points: 1,059
Location: Hendersonville, TN
BruceReville wrote:
I think it has been engrained in our society that comics were not forms of art and literature but as my Mom would put it -- "Funny Books" - whether it was Spider-Man, Batman, or Richie Rich they were all seen as adolescent entertainment and normally those that read them were not associated with the "In" crowd. Though it is changing with the release of some seriously good superhero movies and television shows it is opening eyes of others to see that these are not just "Funny Books" but actually pretty damn good. Me however, I will gladly wear my Geek/Nerd badge proudly and know I was there from the beginning and not a movie bandwagon rider.


I've started getting compliments on my superhero shirts from peers now. There's tons of young "in" people who visit the CCL Shop or have pullboxes. People are starting to realize that comics aren't lame.

I hope it stays that way too.

SwiftMann wrote:


Besides, at least we're not these guys... (g'ah, I had no idea these dumb forums didn't allow for "potentially dangerous" YouTube embedding!)'

Bronies the Movie


Lol. Me and Steve count the number of Bronies we see at cons. The numbers are rising.



ratrapp
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:36:25 AM
Rank: Vigilante
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/2/2010
Posts: 87
Points: 261
I get a lot of crap from my g/f for collecting but I really don't care.yes,we are sterotyped for a reason and I am frequently told that I don't look like the regular comic collector.as long as I can afford to collect I will or until I run out of room.
kisstour03
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:02:51 AM

Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 12/24/2012
Posts: 300
Points: 900
Location: Canada
I've been thinking about Dennis' question since last night. I didn't really answer it in my previous post.

I think comic collectors are stereotyped in the same way almost anyone who is an avid collector is. If you collect comics you're a "geek". If you collect china dolls you're "eccentric". If you collect barbed wire you're a "wacko". I think people in general just label what they don't understand. Funny thing is I remember a friend of mine one time telling me it was strange to collect toys. He didn't get it. I went to visit his house for the first time not long after. His wife collects nutcrackers. The ones that look like toy soldiers you mainly see at Christmas. I asked him how he considered my thing weird but not what his wife collects. He didn't have a ready answer. It's all you're point of view.
kisstour03
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:32:25 AM

Rank: Large Noggin
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 12/24/2012
Posts: 300
Points: 900
Location: Canada
ratrapp wrote:
I get a lot of crap from my g/f for collecting but I really don't care.yes,we are sterotyped for a reason and I am frequently told that I don't look like the regular comic collector.as long as I can afford to collect I will or until I run out of room.


I always get baffled by the "wife/gf gives me crap" thing. I get that not everyone is into everything you are. It would be very boring if they were. But why give (banned) to someone for something that makes them happy and is relaxing to them? I lucked out with my wife I guess. She collect different things as well. I could care less about her guitar collection but I support her in it.

A lady I work with was complaining one day about her husband buying "another damned old clock". I guess he collects clocks. Anyway she was miffed because he always hits the antique stores and flea markets and picks up neat old clocks. Here's sort of how the conversation went:

Co-worker: "He brought home another damned clock."

Me: "Cool. How many does he have?"

Co-worker: "Too (banned)ing many."

Me: "You don't approve? Why?"

Co-worker: "He wastes his money on them."

Me: "And?"

Co-worker: "And what?"

Me: "Does he drink, smoke, gamble, beat you, hang out with dirtbag buddies at all hours of the night??"

Co-worker: "No."

Me: "Do the bills get paid, food in the fridge. Is he a decent guy that treats you well?"

Co-worker: "Yes."

Me: "So what's wrong with a few clocks then."

Co-worker: "I just don't like them."

This is where I started to get cranky because this woman bugs me at the best of times. I know her husband and he's a stand up guy who works hard and puts his family first. Which can be a rarity these days. I basically told her that if her biggest complaint was that her hubby buys a few clocks to tinker with she should count herself lucky. It could be worse.
Atilla2k
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 12:34:27 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Joined: 10/8/2007
Posts: 1,541
Points: 89,051
Location: NY
Xylob wrote:
All stereotypes exist for a reason...
Some are spot on, some are based on mis-perception or misunderstanding of what is observed.


+1Nerd

Jshock80
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:31:28 PM

Rank: Sidekick
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 9/17/2011
Posts: 69
Points: 207
You Know something I am actually really glad asked this question,because it is great to see all your answers, I just want to state that I don't care one bit what people think of me because I read comics, they can think what they want, I always explained it this way for 15 mins to an hr, I can get lost, I don't need to worry about the mortgage daycare, work money etc for that time period I am just lost and its the best feeling in the world at the end of the day to just let lifes stresses go.

It funny one of the other posts on her stated the they do not look like the regular comic collector, my wife says that to me all the time if we go in a shop, and after we come her first words are I swear u were the most normal looking person in there, and I always answer that nice but we are all there for the same purpose, it does not matter what u look like I just want to know what u read and is it a good read.

But I cant express how much I relate to pauls post about the conversation with the clocks, as long as all the important things in hour life is taken care of then by all means that that person collect what he or she wants, my wife collects milk glass why I don't know she likes it and I support her I might not care what she got just like she might not care what I got but if it makes u happy that's all that matters


MoonKnight1
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:50:03 PM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 5/24/2010
Posts: 2,822
Points: 10,380
Location: Richmond, VA
You all may be a bunch of nerds but I'm not!Liar Laughing

Closing in on 600 Hero Ratings! Now with more than 16,000 comics listed and thousands more to come! To all of my Fantastic Customers I say, Thank You! Keep watching.



Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations


wickedcomics
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:32:48 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 5/14/2011
Posts: 1,433
Points: 18,941
Actually since I moved to North Carolina, I think people are more accepting. When I was friends with Mel, I actually got her into Zenescope/Fable comics and we'd have conversations about them. My current staff of ladies, enjoy looking at the covers and some of them know a lot of characters (Wolverine, Spider-Man, X-Men). For whatever reason just as many women find Zenescope covers as awesome as the guys do. Show them those comic books that aren't just super heroes and you may be surprised with the results. Everyone that knows me knows i'm into comic books, horror, sci-fi but so are they :lol:. While some of them won't buy the stuff I buy, they enjoy it just as much.

BurningDoom
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:05:20 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Joined: 1/5/2007
Posts: 12,398
Points: 59,872
Location: Redding, CA
MoonKnight1 wrote:
You all may be a bunch of nerds but I'm not!Liar Laughing


Geek, good sir.

I've always thought of a nerd as the more academic type.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:54:34 AM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 9/14/2008
Posts: 2,404
Points: 31,342
Location: Vancouver, Washington
kisstour03 wrote:
ratrapp wrote:
I get a lot of crap from my g/f for collecting but I really don't care.yes,we are sterotyped for a reason and I am frequently told that I don't look like the regular comic collector.as long as I can afford to collect I will or until I run out of room.


I always get baffled by the "wife/gf gives me crap" thing. I get that not everyone is into everything you are. It would be very boring if they were. But why give (banned) to someone for something that makes them happy and is relaxing to them? I lucked out with my wife I guess. She collect different things as well. I could care less about her guitar collection but I support her in it.

A lady I work with was complaining one day about her husband buying "another damned old clock". I guess he collects clocks. Anyway she was miffed because he always hits the antique stores and flea markets and picks up neat old clocks. Here's sort of how the conversation went:

Co-worker: "He brought home another damned clock."

Me: "Cool. How many does he have?"

Co-worker: "Too (banned)ing many."

Me: "You don't approve? Why?"

Co-worker: "He wastes his money on them."

Me: "And?"

Co-worker: "And what?"

Me: "Does he drink, smoke, gamble, beat you, hang out with dirtbag buddies at all hours of the night??"

Co-worker: "No."

Me: "Do the bills get paid, food in the fridge. Is he a decent guy that treats you well?"

Co-worker: "Yes."

Me: "So what's wrong with a few clocks then."

Co-worker: "I just don't like them."

This is where I started to get cranky because this woman bugs me at the best of times. I know her husband and he's a stand up guy who works hard and puts his family first. Which can be a rarity these days. I basically told her that if her biggest complaint was that her hubby buys a few clocks to tinker with she should count herself lucky. It could be worse.


This reminds me of a similar experience I saw at the local shop some years back. A guy came in with his wife to pick up his weekly books, spent about $60 or so. She didn't look totally thrilled, and shop clerk said something (can't remember what), and she replied "well, he doesn't beat me, do drugs, run out on me, and he works hard, is good to his kids, provides for us. If this is the worst thing he does, I can live with that."
Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:02:39 AM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 9/14/2008
Posts: 2,404
Points: 31,342
Location: Vancouver, Washington
wickedcomics wrote:
Actually since I moved to North Carolina, I think people are more accepting.


While I think people are more accepting, I think the typical comic-nerd stereotype will always prevail. Even with the advent of all these movies, I'll read articles about how comic and sci-fi fans now work in Hollywood. The headline? "Geeks Have Taken Over Hollywood!" I've seen headlines like that on more than one occasion. So the stereotype will always remain, no matter how mainstream it gets.

The media likes to perpetuate this stereotype, too. I've been seeing a tv ad for a new series on Sci-Fi (I think) called "Fangasm." The show looks like the most awful thing ever (to go along with the awful title). Basically, it looks like you have some comic fans, Star Trek fans, cosplayers, etc., all living together for....something. Anyway, the promo pieces for the show chooses to focus in on the most nerdy, socially awkward (perhaps even slightly retarded) member of the group, pretty much everyone watching the show is supposed to laugh at him. So it's just terrible.
JimmmKelly
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 8:21:59 PM
Rank: Vigilante
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/2/2013
Posts: 75
Points: 225
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
I think the stereotype has changed over the years, since I've been around.

There was a time when the funny books were thought to be for kids--and a lot were--so if you read them, people thought you weren't very bright and had mental problems.

You still get that from some people--but mostly older folks.

Now people assume that comic book readers are like the guys on THE BIG BANG THEORY--highly intelligent but socially inept

I guess in both stereotypes, comic readers are assumed to be unconventional.

But not everybody thinks this way and anyways I'm not sure that fighting against the stereotypes is worth the energy.

The stereotypes arise because they have some truth. It's true that there are some people who have mental challenges that are better able to deal with comic books than other kinds of books. There was one guy I used to see around at the shops and the swap meets, who was challenged--but he really liked the classic kids comics from Harvey and all that. When it came to those comics he had an amazing memory, he would go through boxes with a perfect sense of which numbers he needed, never having to check a piece of paper. He had it all in his head. Yet, I'm sure people meeting him on the street would assume he had below level intelligence.

And there are high I.Q. socially challenged nerds who like comics. I imagine there's a reason for that. Maybe they're better able to function in a fantasy world than the real world.

I think if we fight against these stereotypes too much, we start to marginalize those people who fit the stereotypes. If we don't think we fit either stereotype, we should grow a thicker skin.

MY FAVOURITE FUNNIES
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

This page was generated in 1.251 seconds.

ADVERTISEMENT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
All images on comic collector live copyright of their respective publishers. © Copyright 2008, MidTen Media Inc. GOLO241