Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
The "Why Isn't This Issue Worth More?" Thread Options
Kingsman
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 4:43:30 PM

Groups: Member

I figured since we have a thread entitled The "Why Is This Issue Worth So Much?", I thought it would be fun to post back issues that we believe should have a greater value. I will start out with this comic book . . . New Teen Titans #9 (1980). This is the second appearance of Deathstroke the Terminator. Considering that his first appearance fetches between $50-$100, I am surprised that this issue only fetches $1-$3.

Xylob
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 5:12:55 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

"#5" or #9?

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
Kingsman
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 5:24:01 PM

My apologies, I meant #9.

Xylob wrote:
"#5" or #9?
comicuniversity
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 5:26:36 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

The first appearance of Deathstroke has only recently shot up in value. I think it actually didn't hit that $50 range consistently until he started showing up in the Arrow show.

The entire run of New Teen Titans has always been way undervalued in my opinion. I imagine this issue will eventually see an uptick in value as collectors all get their hands on #2 and begin to look for the "next" appearance.
andyborehol
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 7:13:46 PM

Great idea for a thread! Here's one that's almost always in the dollar bin that I'm surprised isn't considered to be more significant:

Power Pack #27

This issue actually marks the first time that Wolverine and Sabretooth appeared in the same comic. Granted, they don't fight or even meet in it...Sabretooth briefly threatens the Power Pack kids then makes his exit, at which point Wolverine runs through and essentially asks "Which way did he go?" This leads directly into the first (published) fight between the two characters in Uncanny X-Men #211, which is usually a $10+ book. It's not a very well-drawn cover, but both characters are on it together for the first time ever...I've seen comics go up in value for far less significant reasons than this.

Check out my store, Divide & Conquer Comics!!!
Xylob
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 7:34:57 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

andyborehol wrote:
...It's not a very well-drawn cover...
Understatement of the week?

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 9:18:37 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

andyborehol wrote:
Great idea for a thread! Here's one that's almost always in the dollar bin that I'm surprised isn't considered to be more significant:

Power Pack #27

This issue actually marks the first time that Wolverine and Sabretooth appeared in the same comic. Granted, they don't fight or even meet in it...Sabretooth briefly threatens the Power Pack kids then makes his exit, at which point Wolverine runs through and essentially asks "Which way did he go?" This leads directly into the first (published) fight between the two characters in Uncanny X-Men #211, which is usually a $10+ book. It's not a very well-drawn cover, but both characters are on it together for the first time ever...I've seen comics go up in value for far less significant reasons than this.

Never knew that.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Thundercron
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 12:16:08 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Xylob wrote:
andyborehol wrote:
...It's not a very well-drawn cover...
Understatement of the week?

What's wrong with the cover?
Thundercron
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 12:25:00 AM

Shop at My Store

I've mentioned these before in other threads, but I'll make it official here. I submit ROM #31 and 32:

The second and third appearances of Rogue, respectively. The first appearance of Rogue (Avengers Annual #10) is worth a few bucks. Her first appearance in the X-Men (#158) gets a bump in price, and so does X-Men #171, where she joins the team. Also, after the first X-Men movie came out, the second and third appearances of characters like Mystique and Sabretooth got a bump in price. But for some reason, these issues of ROM are still getting left out in the cold.

It's also worth noting that Marvel no longer holds the rights to ROM, so these issues can never be reprinted in any forthcoming Rogue collections or Omnibuses.
andyborehol
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 4:39:03 PM

Thundercron wrote:
I've mentioned theswish list. in other threads, but I'll make it official here. I submit ROM #31 and 32:

The second and third appearances of Rogue, respectively. The first appearance of Rogue (Avengers Annual #10) is worth a few bucks. Her first appearance in the X-Men (#158) gets a bump in price, and so does X-Men #171, where she joins the team. Also, after the first X-Men movie came out, the second and third appearances of characters like Mystique and Sabretooth got a bump in price. But for some reason, these issues of ROM are still getting left out in the cold.

It's also worth noting that Marvel no longer holds the rights to ROM, so these issues can never be reprinted in any forthcoming Rogue collections or Omnibuses.

Aaaaannnnddd, those just went on my wishlist. This thread has the potential to cause spikes in the market!

ratrapp
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 5:25:44 PM

glad I've already got them.
comicuniversity
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 6:49:15 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

My guess is......"out of sight. Out of mind"
rom hasn't made a comic appearance in so long, no one is searching his back issues.
MoonKnight1
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 1:42:41 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

How about this one.
Incredible Hulk #228

Dr. Karla Sofen becomes Moonstone for the first time. She has turned into a pretty significant figure in the Marvel universe so why isn't this issue more sought after? Karla was a minor character in Captain America before but even her first appearance there isn't worth more or less than corresponding issues.

Captain America #192

What gives?

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

andyborehol
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 5:33:56 PM

I'm sure that if Marvel Studios announces that Moonstone will appear in a movie both of these issues will skyrocket. It's crazy what the movie industry is doing to the comic book market right now. 2 years ago Incredible Hulk #271 could be easily found for under a buck, now it's hard to find one for under $100 and that damn raccoon's movie is still a few days away from being released.

Kingsman
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2014 7:04:35 PM

Although I do not expect this issue to fetch $100 . . . I do have an infinity for Typhoid Mary. I have noticed some small retail gains in value of her first appearance. But she is one of those potential breakout, female characters if done right.

Thundercron
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2014 7:30:21 PM

Shop at My Store

Kingsman wrote:
Although I do not expect this issue to fetch $100 . . . I do have an infinity for Typhoid Mary. I have noticed some small retail gains in value of her first appearance. But she is one of those potential breakout, female characters if done right.

This is already tough to find, and well-presented near mint copies can fetch $25 on ebay.

Interesting speculative observation--Rosario Dawson has been cast in an as yet unnamed role for the Daredevil Netflix series. If she winds up being Typhoid Mary, watch out for this one to skyrocket.
Kingsman
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 2:00:25 PM

Considering that the first issue can sell up-to $100, and the second-fifth printings can fetch $15-$40, I am "a little" surprised that the second issue rarely sells for over $9. Issue #3 can be found between $15-$25, while issue #4 can fall between $20-$35.

ratrapp
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 5:13:53 PM

am I the only one that thinks batman#1(new52)is seriously overpriced?i bought it new,read once and b and b'd it.i'm sure it's not a low print run.lets see what it is worth in a few years.
Thundercron
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 12:10:46 PM

Shop at My Store

Here's one:

Nomad #4--Deadpool's first appearance outside an X-Force comic.

All of Deadpool's early appearances get a bump in price--Secret Defenders, Silver Sable, Heroes for Hire, Daredevil/Deadpool Annual. But for some reason his very first crossover appearance still sells for $1. What gives?

Some could argue his other appearances were in books with much lower print runs. Other than that, I'm not sure why this gets the cold shoulder.
Kingsman
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 3:01:30 PM

So at the past two comic book shows I have attended, one of the main "it" books at the moment appears to be Marvel Super-Heroes #8 (1990) . . . the first appearance of Squirrel Girl. It seems that her second appearance within a storyline is the issue below. I wonder if this will explode in speculative price too?

I purchased the GLA mini-series when it was first released 14 years ago and I found it to be a fun read.