Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Mycomicshop.com / Lone Star Comics SUCKS! Options
SwiftMann
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2014 8:12:51 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

I'm going to check my credit card activity this weekend and when the $5 isn't there I'll file my BBB complaint on Monday.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
SwiftMann
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2014 4:03:14 PM

Shop at My Store

Complaint filed with BBB.

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
SwiftMann
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 11:08:57 AM

Shop at My Store

Holy. Funkin. Sh!t.

Lone Star's response to my complaint is nothing but lies. Outright lies. I'm both annoyed and thrilled by this. And definitely angry.

SwiftMann
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 11:20:01 AM

Shop at My Store

My original complaint:

Quote:
In a seven month period, I made three purchases from Lone Star's mycomicshop.com website. Each purchase had varying degrees of shipping damage, incorrect grading, incorrect product (usually wrong variant covers) and/or product that did not fully match the description on the website ("bagged with trading cards" noted on site, but upon receipt the bag was cut open and cards removed). I made an e-mail inquiry regarding the first order in an attempt to get corrected product. The only response from Lone Star's Beth Abbott was a form letter with return address and return policy noted. There was no attempt to correct the order. Due to the small dollar amount and lack of replacement product, I chose to keep the incorrect product. No inquiry was made on the second order based on the poor response and low dollar amount of its incorrect merchandise. However, the third order's errors were great enough that a return was warranted. (Order #xxxxxxxx)

On May 31, 2014, I made an inquiry confirming the return policy, which received the cut & paste response that included "Upon receipt we will refund you for the Basic return postage (up to $5.00), as well as the books." Within a week of this e-mail, I became aware that my account on mycomicshop.com was no longer working and sent an e-mail inquiry which was never answered. I went ahead and made the return, following all of Lone Star's draconian rules (which insures quicker turnaround and better packaging than they provide), and requested the $16.20 in product and $5.00 in shipping be refunded to my credit card. The full $5 was needed as the only viable way to get the comics back to Lone Star within their two week window was to use Priority Mail ($5.95). The return was received by Lone Star on June 16th.

Later that month, a refund to my credit card for $16.20 appeared. On July 5, 2014, I e-mailed Beth Abbott requesting a refund of my $5.00 for shipping. That e-mail went unanswered. On July 28, 2014, I sent another e-mail to Beth Abbott and copied the customerservice e-mail address (although they appear to be one-in-the-same) again requesting a refund of the $5 and again requesting a reason as to why my account on their website has been deleted. That e-mail has also gone unanswered.

Lone Star's response:

Quote:
[Dan] has placed 3 orders with our company since October of 2013. In each order, the customer has returned items stating he was displeased with the grading. Each time, the customer was told he could return any items he was unhappy with for a refund. He was also told, postage up to $3.00 would be refunded if the items returned were found to be misgraded. The items he returned from his last order were still found to meet our grading standards, and postage was not refunded. In regards to items reported to be missing cards, we state the following:

“Posters, COA’s cards, maps, 3-D glasses, stickers and inserts are not guaranteed to be included unless listed in the item title/description.
If you have any doubt that the item posted is the one you wish to purchase, we recommend you not purchase it. We can guarantee only that we will ship the item we have named, and we will not accept returns on books missing the items named unless they were noted to be included.”

Due to the continual return of items from the customer, we felt that we would not be able to meet his grading standards and asked that he not order from us further.

My response:

Quote:
Better Business Bureau:

I have reviewed the response made by the business in reference to complaint ID xxxxxx, and have determined that this does not resolve my dispute. For your reference, details of the offer I reviewed appear below.

There is no aspect to Lone Star's response that is accurate beyond the first sentence. Lone Star's response in quotes.

"[Dan] has placed 3 orders with our company since October of 2013" - Accurate

"In each order, the customer has returned items stating he was displeased with grading." - Inaccurate. I only made an inquiry about incorrect items received (nothing to do with grading) on the first order via e-mail on October 30, 2013 (see attachment "2013.10.30 email"). I made no contact with Lone Star regarding the second order at all. The third order was the only one I actually returned due to incorrect items received with an off-handed comment about the grade of one item, but the return wasn't due to grading.

"Each time, the customer was told he could return any items he was unhappy with for a refund. He was also told, postage up to $3.00 would be refunded if the items returned were found to be misgraded." - Inaccurate. As I never actually complained about the grading, there was never discussion regarding shipping refunds being contingent on misgrading. In the two e-mails regarding returns, the same language was used, "Upon receipt we will refund you for the Basic return postage (up to $5.00), as well as the books." (see attachments "2013.10.30" and "2013.05.31 email").

"The items he returned from his last order were still found to meet our grading standards, and postage was not refunded." - Irrelevant. As noted above, there was nothing returned due to grading disputes and, as such, there was never a contingency on the refund of shipping.

"In regards to items reported missing cards, we state the following: 'Posters, COA's cards, maps, 3-D glasses, stickers and inserts are not guaranteed to be included unless listed in the item title/description..." - The item in my original complaint DID list that cards were included. And, still does at http://mycomicshop.com/search?TID=134861, "Included are...two different ShadowHawk cards and a Cyberforce card!"

"Due to the continual return of items from the customer, we felt that we would not be able to meet his grading standards..." - Inaccurate. Again, there was ONE return, not continual returns. That ONE return was based on incorrect or duplicate items being delivered, not grading. There was never a dispute about grading.

"...and asked that he not order from us further." - Inaccurate. There was no communication whatsoever from Lone Star regarding my account being deleted even after two inquiries.

Either Lone Star has me confused with another customer or they have just completely lied about every aspect of our transactions.

Regards,

Dan

MoonKnight1
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 11:32:24 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

You go, Dan! Applause

I love it, please keep us updated!

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

Reggie
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 9:35:50 PM

Groups: Member

I am very glad you are posting this. I hope you keep us updated on how this all turns out. I've never placed an order with Lonestar and after reading this I never will.

Atilla2k
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2014 9:05:17 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

MORE mycomicshop.com LIES! I just got their response to my BBB claim.

mycomicshop.com wrote:
Our company has handled this matter in nothing but a professional manner. We have in no way attempted to defraud any of our customers. Mr. Toth refuses to take responsibility for his own errors. The customer submitted the order with the PayPal address of

Joseph Toth

Post Office Box 438

Pine Bush, NY 12566

Mr. Toth did not bother to verify the address when he placed the order, and only contacted us on the matter after the order had already been shipped. If we had been notified that the address he provided was incorrect during the 3 day processing timeframe, we could have stopped the order before it was taken to the Post Office. When the customer contacted us, our customer service representative explained to him that the order had already been shipped, and we would be unable to take any further action until the order was returned to us. The customer contacted us again a few days later, and the customer service representative again, explained that there was no further action that could be taken until the order was returned to us. The customer at that time accused us of lying, stating that we purposely changed his shipping information and sent his order to the wrong address in an attempt to defraud him. He demanded to speak with the owner who was out of the office at that time, and he was given the owner’s email address. He then began yelling at the customer service representative using explicitly crude language before hanging up on her. The customer’s order was returned by the post office shortly after that, and a full refund was issued to his PayPal account. The owner also responded to the customer’s email, letting him know that we had closed the his account because we do not wish to do further business with him.

My Response wrote:
Better Business Bureau:

I have reviewed the response made by the business in reference to complaint ID 10160453, and have determined that this does not resolve my dispute. For your reference, details of the offer I reviewed appear below.

The response from Lone Star Comics / mycomicshop.com is a gross misrepresentation of our interaction. They had my previous address on file and did not bother to look to see that I had provided them with the correct one months prior to this transaction, nor at any time were they professional in their dealings with me. Also at no time did I accuse them of defrauding me, merely that they made a mistake and sent my order to the wrong address and that I wanted them to correct that mistake, which is when they became extremely petulant and rude before cancelling my order and my account. I know I am not the first to report such claims as I have thoroughly looked into their bad business practices since our problem first came to a head. Please see:

http://www.yelp.com/not_recommended_reviews/lone-star-comics-games-and-gifts-arlington

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=42567

http://comicnut.blogspot.com/2010/09/just-reminderavoid-mycomicshopcom-by.html

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=27824

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Lone-star-comics/internet/Lone-star-comics-Webuycomicscom-mycomicshopcom-lonestarcomicscom-Shipping-rebate-rip-917257

http://moderndayhitchhiker.com/2013/02/27/lonestarcomics/

I could send you a hundred links, if I was a lone voice in the night I could see doubting me but there are hundreds of complaints about these scoundrels! Please help me to spread the word so that people can be safe from their bad business practices.

Regards,

Joseph Toth

They are such SCUM that it peeves me to no extent!Angry

MoonKnight1
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2014 11:07:08 AM

Shop at My Store

I don't get it. How in the Hell are those fricking idiots still in business? Confused

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

padreglcc
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2014 11:43:17 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

MoonKnight1 wrote:
I don't get it. How in the Hell are those fricking idiots still in business? Confused

How? Because they spend $ to advertise, they do variant covers (which gets them publicity), and the average joe comic collector doesn't bother to do research before purchasing from them.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
lbej
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2014 12:27:08 PM

Groups: Member, Moderator, Subscriber

padreglcc wrote:
MoonKnight1 wrote:

How? Because they spend $ to advertise, they do variant covers (which gets them publicity), and the average joe comic collector doesn't bother to do research before purchasing from them.

I'm not disputing anyone's claims on this board but I will say that I continue to give Lone Star my business because I've bought from them dozens of times and sold to them many other times and I've always been pleased. I can only speak for myself but that's been my experience.

Please make sure you read and understand the forum rules here
padreglcc
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2014 12:56:22 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

lbej wrote:
padreglcc wrote:
MoonKnight1 wrote:

I'm not disputing anyone's claims on this board but I will say that I continue to give Lone Star my business because I've bought from them dozens of times and sold to them many other times and I've always been pleased. I can only speak for myself but that's been my experience.

True. Someone has to be having good personal experience with them. Probably a lot of someones. My guess is that when they're good, they're good, but when they're bad, they're really bad.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
Xylob
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2014 1:34:02 PM

http://www.resellerratings.com/
Another place to spread the word.

Need help with a Change Request?Click here to contact an approver!
Problems with CCL?
Send an email right away (don't delay!) to helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com
615-264-4747
Offices are open M-F 8am-5pm Central Time.
You can also e-mail the Chief Brand Officer directly to try to resolve questions/stuff at steve@golocomedia.com for help with password resets, general customer service questions, store order resolution, credit card store updating, questions about comic books and CCL, etc...

Xylob's Most Wanted:

G.I.Joe Special Missions TPB 2
Tales from the Transformers Beast Wars: Critical Mass
Youngblood Bloodsport #2 maybe? can you help identify?
jbeeman85
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2014 2:07:50 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

lbej wrote:
padreglcc wrote:
MoonKnight1 wrote:

Same here. I have bought from Lone Star several times over the last few years and so far haven't had any issues. They have had several issues from my wish list that I couldn't find anywhere else and for a good price too. It really sucks that so many people have had what seems to be major issues with Lone Star.

Atilla2k
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:17:32 AM

I am beginning to wonder what the BBB does…
I submit a complaint to them, I get a response from lone star comics denying it.
I reject that response and I get a response from lone star rejecting my rejection.
I reject their rejection of my rejection…
Does this ever lead to anything, or am I stuck in an endless loop of pointless bureaucracy?

Wall At Wits' End Silly At Wits' End Wall

SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:12:40 AM

Shop at My Store

Atilla2k wrote:
I am beginning to wonder what the BBB does…
I submit a complaint to them, I get a response from lone star comics denying it.
I reject that response and I get a response from lone star rejecting my rejection.
I reject their rejection of my rejection…
Does this ever lead to anything, or am I stuck in an endless loop of pointless bureaucracy?

Wall At Wits' End Silly At Wits' End Wall

I have been debating whether or not I want to call the "Dispute Resolution, Investigations" person.

Lone Star's reply to my multipoint breakdown of their lies:

Quote:
We have responded to this case based on the information and records we have documented on [his] account. Our records show that the customer has returned items from all three orders he has placed with our company, and we did not feel that we would be able to meet his collecting needs.

The customer has received refunds for all of the items he has returned, and we consider this matter to be closed.

My response:

Quote:
Better Business Bureau:

I have reviewed the response made by the business in reference to complaint ID xxxxx, and have determined that this does not resolve my dispute. For your reference, details of the offer I reviewed appear below.

It's easy for Lone Star to perceive the "matter to be closed" considering they are ignoring all facts and making up a completely erroneous version of events that they can't possible back-up with evidence. I was frustrated by Lone Star's unresponsiveness when I asked for the promised refund of return postage. I'm completely sickened by the lies they have generated during this process.

They owe me $5. I wouldn't have returned $16 worth of goods that cost me $6 to ship because that's not financially reasonable or worth the time and effort to pack and ship. They also owe me and the BBB the truth, which starts with the fact that I returned a small portion of only one of three orders and nothing in that return was due to grading as they claim.

Regards,

Dan

Atilla2k
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 12:40:49 PM

Yeah, I received basically the same response.

MESSAGE FROM BUSINESS: wrote:

We have responded to this case based on the records we have documented on Mr. Toth’s account, including two separate customer service representatives' accounts of the customer’s behavior during his calls to our company. We process a large number of orders on a daily basis, and cannot manually check every single customer’s account and contact them to make sure the address they have provided for shipping is correct. We sent the order to the address PayPal provided when the order was placed on our site. We did not edit the order in any way, nor were we able to tell by looking at the address that the information was correct. We were professional in the way we handled the matter, and we issued a full refund to the customer when his order was returned by the post office. We consider this matter to be closed.

I wrote:
Better Business Bureau:

I have reviewed the response made by the business in reference to complaint ID 10160453, and have determined that this does not resolve my dispute. For your reference, details of the offer I reviewed appear below.

It is plain to see from Lone Star Comics / mycomicshop.com’s responses that they refuse to accept that they were the ones in the wrong with both the shipping error and their blatantly boorish treatment of me. I have already taken to social media relating my experience with them and hope that, in conjunction with my BBB complaint, will reduce their sales thus affecting their income and teach them the value of proper customer service.

Regards,

Joseph Toth

I am currently at a loss... Not Talking

MoonKnight1
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:56:12 AM

Shop at My Store

padreglcc wrote:
lbej wrote:
padreglcc wrote:
MoonKnight1 wrote:

True. Someone has to be having good personal experience with them. Probably a lot of someones. My guess is that when they're good, they're good, but when they're bad, they're really bad.

From what I can tell as long as you don't complain about poor service, incorrect or missing items and grossly inflated grades you are fine. If there's something wrong with your order just suck it up, because if you bring a problem to their attention you will find your account deleted.

Shoddy business practices. They will never get a dime from me.

Hall Liquidations

pottersan
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 1:15:59 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

MoonKnight1 wrote:
padreglcc wrote:
lbej wrote:
padreglcc wrote:
MoonKnight1 wrote:

From what I can tell as long as you don't complain about poor service, incorrect or missing items and grossly inflated grades you are fine. If there's something wrong with your order just suck it up, because if you bring a problem to their attention you will find your account deleted.

Shoddy business practices. They will never get a dime from me.

I lived in Arlington for 3 years back around 1998.

I was so geeked about being near Lone Star, I had always seen their ads in comics and couldn't wait to go there.

Overpriced stuff and my existence was barely noted by the staff.....

Join me on Marvel War of Heroes! Alphacomics, use referral code eng572582 and get bonus items!!

Visit My Facebook Page!

Alpha Comics has LOOSE Action Figures & T Shirts!

Other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, The Comic Book Stop, Comics Castle, ComicVortex, TREEHOUSE , The Android's Dungeon, Nerdgasm_Comics
pottersan
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 1:17:58 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

A little off topic, but I noticed the joined dates of everyone on this thread......moonknight at 2010 is the newest person....where are all the people who joined in the past 4 years???????

Join me on Marvel War of Heroes! Alphacomics, use referral code eng572582 and get bonus items!!

Visit My Facebook Page!

Alpha Comics has LOOSE Action Figures & T Shirts!

Other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, The Comic Book Stop, Comics Castle, ComicVortex, TREEHOUSE , The Android's Dungeon, Nerdgasm_Comics
comicscastle
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 1:27:49 PM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

pottersan wrote:
A little off topic, but I noticed the joined dates of everyone on this thread......moonknight at 2010 is the newest person....where are all the people who joined in the past 4 years???????
Shopping at MyComicShop & MileHigh.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar