Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
The Official CCL Glossary: Comic Book Edition Options
punisherfan1138
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 10:26:40 AM
Groups: Member

jonhagy2000 wrote:
What is LCS? I can't find it on the CCL comic store directory or any stores with those initials. Is it an online store not on CCL? A little information would be great.

To prevent this and similar misunderstandings in the future, I'm starting a topic to keep an official list of terms commonly used on CCL...that's Comic Collectors Live, just so you know.Anxious

LCS - Forum shorthand for Local Comic Shop. It does not refer to a particular shop, but rather ANY comic shop, and is commonly used to simplify when talking about your local shop. e.g.: "During my lunch break, I stop by my LCS and got my books."

COMIC BOOK GUY ATTITUDE/CBGA - A term to describe the personality of an unpleasant comic shop owner or employee who evokes images of the Simpson's Character of the same name. e.g.: "Jeez! That guy gave me total CBGA just because I slipped and said John Kirby!"

GEEK-OUT/NERD-OUT - 1. An uncommonly joyous response during any perceived nerd-related activity. e.g.: "When I found out they were making another Transformers movie, I total Geeked-out!" 2. The act of spending vast quantities of time involved in a perceived nerd-related activity. e.g.: "I just finished my first full run of Amazing Spider-Man! Now you'll excuse me while I Nerd-Out!"

B&B/B and B/BBB - Forum shorthand for supplies: i.e. Bags, Boards and Boxes. e.g. "Where can I get some B&Bs?" "Do the books come B and B'ed?"

WITHDRAWALS - 1. The negative effects of going without your comic books for a while. 2. The exact opposite of Geek-Out/Nerd-Out. e.g.: "Oh man, I haven't been to my LCS in months. I'm going through Withdrawals!"

Feel free to add more folks. Oh and we might want to make this sticky so that everyone can see it at the top when they stop by.Winking
SpidermanGeek
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 10:44:52 AM

Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator

punisherfan1138 wrote:
Oh and we might want to make this sticky so that everyone can see it at the top when they stop by.Winking

Done

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.

I haz a Blog
punisherfan1138
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 10:57:13 AM

SpidermanGeek wrote:
punisherfan1138 wrote:
Oh and we might want to make this sticky so that everyone can see it at the top when they stop by.Winking

Done

Thankee.Applause
SpidermanGeek
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 11:17:35 AM

Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member, Moderator

FGG: FunnyGreenGoblin. Every once in a while this name will pop up. FGG was a forum member for about a day, but boy what a day it was (Feb. 23-24, 2008). His message board posting tactics became instantly legendary (in an "Epic Fail" kind of way). If you plan on getting rich by buying, CGC'ing and selling your comics for profit, you will be labeled an FGG follower. This ludicrous money making scheme defies all boundaries of money making reality.

CGC: Certified Guaranty Company. Certified Guaranty Company (CGC) is an independent member of the Certified Collectibles Group of companies. CGC is an impartial, expert third party grading service in comics. When people say they get their comics graded and slabbed, they are usually refering to having them CGC'd.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.

I haz a Blog
punisherfan1138
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 11:38:01 AM

SpidermanGeek wrote:
FGG: FunnyGreenGoblin. Every once in a while this name will pop up. FGG was a forum member for about a day, but boy what a day it was (Feb. 23-24, 2008). His message board posting tactics became instantly legendary (in an "Epic Fail" kind of way). If you plan on getting rich by buying, CGC'ing and selling your comics for profit, you will be labeled an FGG follower. This ludicrous money making scheme defies all boundaries of money making reality.

Thank you SMG, I never saw any of this.Applause
bgunsta
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:53:25 PM

punisherfan1138 wrote:

GEEK-OUT/NERD-OUT - 1. An uncommonly joyous response during any perceived nerd-related activity. e.g.: "When I found out they were making another Transformers movie, I total Geeked-out!" 2. The act of spending vast quantities of time involved in a perceived nerd-related activity. e.g.: "I just finished my first full run of Amazing Spider-Man! Now you'll excuse me while I Nerd-Out!"

you forgot what comes after "nerd out"
NERDGASM: "I had a Nerdgasm when i finally found that issue"

"I been browsin and inspectin X-Men comics ya Know i collect them, like the pens in my pocket i must protect them."
CCRob
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 2:13:40 PM

SpidermanGeek wrote:

LOL! He was awesome in a really lame way! Laughing
comicnutz
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 2:53:51 PM

SpidermanGeek wrote:

CGC: Certified Guaranty Company. Certified Guaranty Company (CGC) is an independent member of the Certified Collectibles Group of companies. CGC is an impartial, expert third party grading service in comics. When people say they get their comics graded and slabbed, they are usually refering to having them CGC'd.

On the CGC definition, I would replace the last sentence with something along the lines:

Other grading companies do exist (i.e. PGX), but generally, when people say they are having their books CGC'd, they are having them graded and slabbed in a sealed, protective container.

As for the expert part, that is somewhat open to debate - especially on CCL... Laughing
dunleavy75
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:50:37 PM

SpidermanGeek wrote:
punisherfan1138 wrote:

Done

i thought fatherjeff was the resident sticky guy?Winking Winking

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
punisherfan1138
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:34:43 PM

dunleavy75 wrote:
SpidermanGeek wrote:
punisherfan1138 wrote:

Done

i thought fatherjeff was the resident sticky guy?Winking Winking

Yes, those were easier days, back before geek made it his mission in life to piss me off.Angry
punisherfan1138
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 9:43:19 AM

THREAD EXHAUSTION/T.E. - The unfortunate occurrence of multiple threads being started by multiple people all on the same subject, usually the result of not researching the forum before starting a new topic. Examples include Collecting Supplies, The 35th Anniversary Wolverine Covers, and most recently, the Eminem/Punisher comic featured in XXL Magazine.
meangreenninjame
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 1:20:38 PM

Ok I have to more about this FGG, please fill me in I could use a good giggle lol.

www.ginandcomics.com

Follow us on twitter at: GinandComTweets

or you can follow us on Facebook by searching for Gin and Comics

punisherfan1138
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 7:32:54 PM

meangreenninjame wrote:
Ok I have to more about this FGG, please fill me in I could use a good giggle lol.

Click the link.
SpidermanGeek wrote:
punisherfan1138
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 8:57:25 PM

FOXING: Brown age spotting. It is usually sporadic, mixed here and there throughout a book, and is different from just general browning of paper. It's a term that is more used in Antiquarian Book collecting, but it refers to the page quality, so I can see the term being used in comics.--bovard