Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Update for the Die Hard CCLers Options
Joe
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 5:29:50 PM

Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Member, Subscriber

OK, been busy, busy, busy, but I want to let you know what’s up at CCL. The MidTen Media Corporation has been in the process of restructuring and recasting vision. We began the CCL project late in 2006 and have had a blast building this thing thus far. Our intention is to continue to add features, bells, whistles, and more. As some of you know we have just added a new category (CCG / Gaming Cards). We have a long list of things we want to do with CCL to provide a rich user experience as well as a sophisticated library of comics and comic related items. Our feature list continues to grow as we read through these forums, and take your calls. The project so far has had some successes and some challenges. I believe that CCL has risen to each one and has performed with extraordinary results over the last couple of years as I am sure many of you will agree.

Now, you may have noticed (or been happy) that I have not been in the forums as much as I would like over the past few months. I have been dealing with the down turn in the economy, and working with our other networks to shore some things up, but I want to update you as to what we have been up to, and how this affects CCL. We consider CCL our flagship product, and have put a lot of time, effort, and money into building this project. It is our intention to continue to build this thing to its potential and we needed to take a step back to examine and analyze the CCL project and our other networks as well. So, that is where I have been over the last few weeks, but working with the investors, and other interested parties is not a quick thing especially in this climate.

So, here’s what has been happening, and where we are headed. ComicCollectorLive.com currently generates enough revenue to maintain its hardware, hosting, and bandwidth costs, etc…. The sales are growing, and our traffic continues to grow so CCL is a top priority in our recasting vision. However, during this recast and revision phase and to get a handle on all the projects and expenses, we have had to put the site director, and the 2 developers on a non-paid basis. It could be 90 to 120 days to work through funding, updating vision, and identifying our strategy for the new economic climate. During this period our site director and developers are currently helping on a non-paid basis in their spare time as they still have a vested interest in the project, and quite frankly love CCL and the community. They are currently using the corporate development tools and hardware which have access to our internal network but are working in a pro-bono fashion while we recast.

I want to thank the guys for their continued involvement and consultation with the project while we do this, and I would like to ask the community to continue to make suggestions for upgrades, features, and report bugs, but please be aware that time in the forums and priorities will shift some with each of these individuals as we work on this. So please don’t push them too hard for performance as they are helping in a labor of love so to speak. Don’t beat them up, and please, let them know how much you appreciate their support as they are really doing this for you.

In the meantime, I will be working with the “powers that be.” I will get to the forums as much as I can, and feel free to call me if you have any questions or concerns. Our goal is to put CCL in a position to be its own network (separate from our other products and sites) so as to make it easier to manage and more appealing to the folks with the cash. So, please bear with us as we work through this. We will do our best to make this quick, but working with the “suits” is never a quick thing. Thanks for all of the support from the user base, and the staff as well.

Joe Butler
Founder / CEO
Comic Collector Live

The leader should be the person capable of abstract thought!
(From the movie "O' Brother where art thou")

http://www.ComicCollectorLive.com

yourfriendandy
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 5:46:37 PM

Groups: Member

Thanks for providing us a place to geek out Joe!

If CCL is tight for $$ a Mac version would net you my $30.

Big Grin

Whistle

; )
Jim
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 5:52:26 PM

Just so I understand this right, there will be no full-time development on this project for the next 3 to 6 months? Pro bono is noble but the devs need to do something for money to pay their bills right? Which means they might not have much time to do free work here? Any consideration into making the project (desktop software) open source like Yaff? Perhaps locking down just the calls to the server and giving other developers access to the API so development can continue?

CCL Android app
CCL Android Free app
CCL Windows Phone app
MrMiracle
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 6:14:45 PM

Groups: Forum Admin, Member, Subscriber

ErrantEntertainment wrote:
Just so I understand this right, there will be no full-time development on this project for the next 3 to 6 months? Pro bono is noble but the devs need to do something for money to pay their bills right?

Corrent, and I am in the process of looking for other work. However, don't expect a degradation of service, as the current level of service is pro bono and has been for the past 3 weeks.

Which means they might not have much time to do free work here?

I'd contend that a lot can be done with not much if one is properly motivated. I'd estimate that moving forward with new feature sets will be much more infrequent, but requests for fixes or small upgrades can be handled in a similar timeframe.

Any consideration into making the project (desktop software) open source like Yaff?

No real discussion of that has been had. There are many reasons that I believe it's impractical, but, if it were to happen, Jim, you would be the first person I'd want to see have access to it.

Perhaps locking down just the calls to the server and giving other developers access to the API so development can continue?

Thoughts along this line are intriguing, and may be worth some discussion.

Settle down beavis.

Rules - binary solo....
dunleavy75
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 7:00:59 PM

thanks for all the great services you provide ccl!!!

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
8263chrictopher
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 7:40:56 PM

So what does this mean for CCL. From what I gather it’s here to stay right? No mater what happens to the other MidTen Media projects CCL is good, there may be stormy waters ahead but the ship is secure right?

MrMiracle
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 7:44:57 PM

Groups: Forum Admin, Member, Subscriber

8263chrictopher wrote:
So what does this mean for CCL. From what I gather it’s here to stay right? No mater what happens to the other MidTen Media projects CCL is good, there may be stormy waters ahead but the ship is secure right?

From what I gather, yes.

I don't feel at liberty to divulge everything I know, but I assure you, CCL is consistently bringing in enough to easily cover its operating expenses.

Settle down beavis.

Rules - binary solo....
dunleavy75
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 8:18:15 PM

MrMiracle wrote:
8263chrictopher wrote:

From what I gather, yes.

I don't feel at liberty to divulge everything I know, but I assure you, CCL is consistently bringing in enough to easily cover its operating expenses.

Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray

8263chrictopher
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 8:20:47 PM

Now we need to get the sales up so they can pay everyone. hit those stores people!!!!

dunleavy75
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 8:44:38 PM

in a few weeks i'll get a $100 gift card from work and it will be dropped at 2 or 3 stores on ccl for sure.

ntkeith
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 10:09:09 PM

Groups: Guru, Member

In addition to making an order, he is other little things the community can do to help promote CCL. Remember, a large community is better for all of us, and no one is obligated to do any of this, but helping helps (hence the name).

- On other boards you are on, put CCL in your signature. Just having a link helps introduce CCL to others, along with search engines love to see links to CCL.

- Talk about CCL at your store, and focus on the collecting part. Sure, some LCS's don't like the idea of CCL because they think it is competition, so be respectful to their wishes. At our LCS, we promote CCL and even have a link to it from our website.

- If you have anything to add/correct in the database, go ahead and submit them. Everyone likes more and better info, and that will be great for new people to see.

Again, no one has to do this. Do these things if you like the community CCL provides and want to chip in some help. We are all looking forward to things getting back, and are hoping the best to CCL and Valiant and MrMiracle.

You've heard the legend, now see it come to life! I Want More Comics
KingZombie
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 11:03:28 PM

Wow, working for free. Now that's dedication! My hats off to you guys!
The_Valiant_One
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 9:47:36 AM

Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

My dedication to CCL has not wavered. I can still be found trucking on here, and can be reached quickly at: steve_midten@hotmail.com. I'm currently overseeing the addition of CCG/Gaming Cards into the CCLdb, so stay tuned with that as well!

The_Valiant_One
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 9:50:04 AM

Groups: CCL Feature Crew, Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

MrMiracle wrote:
8263chrictopher wrote:

From what I gather, yes.

Having kept up with CCL's numbers on an almost daily basis, MrMiracle's spot on.

AlacrityFitzhugh
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:27:18 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joe wrote:
Coming Soon on CCL

OK, the subscription fee has been implemented. The CR2.0 is about half done. And there is a top secret project being worked on at the CCL bull pen. But here are a few things coming down the pipe and posted for your discussion:

1. A Title page with information about the entire series.
2. A Character Page with information about a specific character.
3. A Publisher Page with information about the publisher.
4. A creator page with information about the creator.
5. A new releases page with a date picker, to see past, present, and future releases.
6. A virtual hold box that a member can set up with a store.
7. A virtual pull list that a member can provide to a store.
8. The ability to store your collection on our servers.
9. The ability to manage your collection remotely through a web browser.
10. A silverlight (Mac Compatible) interface for managing your collection.
11. Enhanced reporting on the software.
12. Price guide module to appraise your collection.

There is more, but I am not allowed to talk about it just yet. I want to thank the community for their support and suggestions, and look forward to a great year. Our goal is to always provide our subscribers with the cool tools they need to enhance their experience with this cool hobby.

Joe, in light of these staffing changes, can you give us an update on these potential new features?

Thanks!

-- Alacrity

isalazar
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 9:58:56 PM

Great work to all contributors. Keep the info and updates coming.