Colors: Hernan Cabrera
Letters: Lucas Rivera
Cover Artist: Diego Yapur
Editor: Troy Lewter
Publisher: Tokyopop
Release Date: August 2010
Pages: 36
Price: $3.99

“A veil of evil threatens to engulf humanity, and one man stands in the way of the apocalypse: our hero, a fallen priest who sold his soul for the power to battle evil and fight for humanity’s redemption. Sell Sheet Keynote: An original, full-color graphic novel that bridges the storyline between the TOKYOPOP series and the feature film from Sony/Screen Gems, starring Paul Bettany.“

Artwork: 2.5 out of 5
It’s kind of alright kinda bland. That’s the most straight forward I can really make it on this book. It is nothing like the Priest Manhwa books put out by Tokyopop. I just found the pages to be flat. Not much definition to them, the colors were kinda blah. Just nothing really exciting going on art wise. The cover, was the biggest let down to me as it is just the movie poster. So overall I have to give this one just the mediocre score on the artwork. Really disappointing when you know how good the Manhwa’s look.

Story: 3.0 out of 5
So I expected this to not just come off as an exciting new take on the series, but more a lead in to the upcoming movie. That being said I was kind of bored. The dialogue was nice here and there, but I don’t think the idea translated well. The action was also okay, I mean you get to see the morality of a few come into question, but aren’t they all “priests”? If were going to change the meaning of the name I think more back story is needed.

Dying Breath: 2.5 out of 5
I just have to go halfway on this one. The art was not very appealing to me, and the story is nothing I am going to jump on right away. I think the downfall to this one is the fact that it is leading into the movie, so you just have that overall building storyline. Now will all movie goers read this? No. So overall is there really a point to it? Maybe. I can see the fans of the Manhwa’s checking this out and possibly being disappointed to, then again it may just be me.

If you would like to buy or know more about Priest: Purgatory #1 you can find it at http://www.tokyopop.com