Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Huntress Options
Hajji
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:49:00 PM

Groups: Member

I picked up the first issue of the new Huntress mini. I thought it was a good first issue but I have questions. In the description of the character I read in the back of another book, it said she was from “Earth-2”.

Could someone be so kind as to explain to me:

What’s the difference between “Earth-1” and “Earth-2”?

What does that mean in relation to the New 52?

Is there something else I should read before I get into this mini-series to better understand the character?
spartan616
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:31:02 PM

Oh my you opened up a can of worms. But I think I can help you out. I might get something wrong though. Well the original Huntress was Helena Wayne from Earth 2, where she was the daughter of Batman and Catwoman on this alternate universe. After Crisis on Infinite Earths that character was basically erased from the entire DC Universe.

The new Huntress that replaced her is the current Huntress you just read about, Helena Bertinelli. She is of Italian descent and no relationship to Batman other than appearing in Bat family titles from time to time.

As of now there is no earth 1 or 2 in the new DC Universe. but I think there are plans to introduce earth 2 for the justice society of america.

Check out my tumblr blog! Just paste the link directly to your address bar.

shaolinsuckerpunch.tumblr.com
Tamwood
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:06:56 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Spartan is essentially correct.

In the beginning, there was the Multiverse - numerous different Earths, all on different "frequencies" so that each existed, but in parallel universes. Each Earth has it's own version of the DC superheroes.

Earth-1 was the universe that most people know and love. Earth-2 was a parallel universe, where we had the Justice Society instead of the Justice League. Black Canary originally came from Earth-2.

In that Earth-2 universe, Huntress was Helena Wayne, the daughter of Bruce Wayne (Batman) and Selena Wayne/Selena Kyle (Catwoman). In E-2, Catwoman wasn't really a villain. There was no big "parents death" type origin for Helena, she just kind of took over after Bruce and Selena retired.

In the 1980s, DC had Crisis on Infinite Earths, which merged all the various universes and Earths into one universe. The Multiverse was destroyed and we just had Earth. Most of the Earth-2 characters were either killed off, or joined the regular DC Universe with new origins.

In this post-Crisis universe, Helena Wayne was now Helena Bertinelli, the daughter of a Mob-boss. Her parents got "wacked" and Helena took on the Huntress persona to wage war on the Mafia.

The DC head honcho has stated that none of the Crisis events are canon anymore, and that the Multiverse will return with the new Justice Society book due out in the future. There were some rumours that this new version of Huntress would be Helena Wayne and not Helena Bertinella, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Hajji
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:34:28 PM

Thank you both.

I get it, now. My wife read Bird’s of Prey but didn’t know the back story on Earth-2. So since this new Huntress is “Helena Bertinelli”, this is a good starting point for me.

Sometimes they (DC/Marvel) throw this stuff out there like everyone and their uncle is in the know.
Nanosplicer
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:47:26 PM

Hajji wrote:
Thank you both.

I get it, now. My wife read Bird’s of Prey but didn’t know the back story on Earth-2. So since this new Huntress is “Helena Bertinelli”, this is a good starting point for me.

Sometimes they (DC/Marvel) throw this stuff out there like everyone and their uncle is in the know.

Well, I wouldn't exactly say she is the "new" Huntress. She has been around since the 80's, lol. Like Tamwood said, Helena Wayne was "killed" in '85 after Earth-2 merged with the other earths in Crisis on Infinite Earths. In '89 they introduced Helena Bertinelli. However, Helena Wayne was brought back along with Earth-2 and the rest of the multiverse after Infinite Crisis. But again, like Tamwood mentioned, none of the Crises matter anymore since this reboot.

MrLobo
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 11:58:06 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

How does Superman: Earth One Fit in this?

Nanosplicer
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 9:11:24 PM

MrLobo wrote:
How does Superman: Earth One Fit in this?
It doesn't. The earth one books,there was supposed to be more than just Superman, are stand alone stories that are a modern take on the heroes' origins. I guess since they did this reboot they scrapped the project.