What Are Your 2012 Collecting Goals? Options
The_Ghost
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:53:19 PM

Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Media Host, Member, Moderator

Shadowdodger wrote:
vinceclortho wrote:
Quote:
4) Re-organize/decorate my "Nerd Nation"

Is this like a man cave? Never heard the term.

Quote:
Main goal is to continue to find as many June 1977 (birth month/year) books I can.

This is a cool goal. I like to do this when I can, too.

Yeah, pretty much a man cave with a focus on geeky/nerdy stuff. I stole the term from Tom (Dr Fate). It's the room where I keep my computer, Transformers statues, the comics waiting to go downstairs to be filed with the rest of my collection and any action figures/toys I want on display.

LOL! I'm glad "Nerd Nation" caught on. It's as you said, Dodger. It's a man cave for us nerds. It's where I keep my comics, video games, figures, and anything else that makes me a nerd. It used to be called "Nerd Central" but I thought Nerd Nation sounded better. Everyone here should have his or her own little Nerd Nation. Nerd

Hey, true believers! Join your fellow comic book and sci-fi lovers on my NERD NATION Facebook page! Join us today and get your nerd on!
Nerd Nation
hedgeknight
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:46:39 PM

Groups: Member

My primary comic book goal this year is to bind as many books as I possibly can. Currently, I have approximately 500 books to bind - to do that effectively, I will need to fill in a few holes here and there. Here is what I'm doing as far as bound volumes:

1/ Elfquest - 32-issue full run by Epic/Marvel.
2/ Power Pack - 60+ issues, full 80's run; a 2-volume set.
3/ Conan the Barbarian - roughly 50 issues leading up to #100 - great stuff! Still debating on whether to bind issues 1-24!!
4/ Daredevil - "Born Again" story arc + Ann Nocenti's great run in the 80's (covers Fall of the Mutants and Inferno!).
5/ Thunderbolts - from issue 100 to 120 + a few extras.
6/ Ghost (Dark Horse) - I only need issue 24 to complete the set!
7/ Comics Greatest World - I only need Motorhead 6 to bind my third volume in this series.
8/ The Shadow - I only need issue 19 to complete my run on this, including some of Mike Kaluta's early work.
9/ Man-Thing - includes Adventure into Fear and the first Man-Thing title.
10/ Monster of Frankenstein - complete run plus every appearance since then! I only need Thor 282 and I'm ready to bind!
11/ Werewolf by Night - includes full 48-issue run, plus Marvel Spotlight, & Giant-Size issues. I lack approximately 15 books having EVERY Werewolf By Night appearance!

I have other volumes in mind too, but these should take me through 2012. They will make great additions to my library.

As for other general comic book goals, here are a few:
1/ Attend at least one show - likely Heroes Con in Charlotte; maybe a local one-day show or two.
2/ Pick up some Avengers keys.
3/ Sell off or trade about 200 books that are just "taking up space." Anybody interested? Batting Eyelashes

Winter is coming...
HarleyQuinnLover
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:48:22 PM

My goals for 2012 can be summoned up in one statement: quality over quantity. In 2011, I just tried to have the biggest collection (comics, figures, statues, ect) I could buy. In doing so, I neglected properally organizing the comics to the point that I'm months behind and ended up with a bunch of comics I got only for the sake of having them, not because I honestly needed them for my collection.

Aside from that, I have only 3 actual goals in mind:

1.) Keep to my Hit List. This are the comics I need to fill in particular holes in my collection. The list will change as I buy the books, of course, but starting the year off it looks like:

- Adventure Comics #210
- Amazing Spider-Man #33
- Amazing Spider-Man #122-122
- Amazing Spider-Man #129
- Amazing Spider-Man #194 ((I just need a better copy))
- Batman #227
- Batman #251
- Batman #426-429
- Fantastic Four (Vol. 1) #51
- Showcase #73

2.) Batman Villains! I want to get a complete collection of first appearances of Batman's Top 20 villains. I know this'll be insanely improbable to complete as any copy of Batman (Vol. 1) #1 is out of my comfort zone for spending. But a guy has to have goals, right?

3.) Organize. My collection shares a space with my art studio so it's in constant chaos. I'd love to have a better system and look to my area.

Read all about my comic collecting and finds at my blog: www.collectiblehunter.wordpress.com

Follow me on Twitter to talk comics, art, or gaming: @NerdomCome
crunchbird
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 6:44:42 PM

Bags and Boards like everyone else.

Getting more comics in order.

The comics I buy this year should all be in series I already have some of, and as always read every comic I aquire.
hedgeknight
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 10:33:38 AM

Update on my collection goals:

Sent the following books to be bound this week:
1/ Elfquest - full run
2/ Power Pack - full run
3/ Conan the Barbarian - issue 57-100
4/ Daredevil - Born Again + Ann Nocenti's great run

Also have The Shadow set ready to go. Working on Thunderbolts, Avengers: Initiative, and others. Need TWO books for Ghost series (#'s 9 & 24); and need Motorhead #6 to complete my third (and final) CGW volume.

Have all of the books I need for my Frankenstein set! Will likely be two volumes - very excited about this one. Also picked up a few books to get me closer to completing the Werewolf by Night and Night Shift sets.

CCL stores have saved me tons of money - getting the books fast and cheap!

Winter is coming...
oakman29
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 7:06:12 PM

My primary goal this year.I will acquire a Journey into Mystery 83 by the SDCC.I have already picked up one goal,to pick up a very scarce book I have wanted.Creepy #32 there are only 13 graded,only two in 9.2Cool

"You want me to trade you my comic for small rectangular sheets of green paper with the images of dead white men?"

spiderjack
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 9:44:25 PM

finaly get around to finishing off two of my favorite bronze age titles
1]GHOST RIDER
2] TOMB OF DRACULA

vinceclortho
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:52:12 PM

Passing the 3/4 mark on the year. How is everyone doing on their goals for 2012?

Check out my Sporcle quiz! X-Men Past and Present

oakman29
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:07:37 PM

vinceclortho wrote:
Passing the 3/4 mark on the year. How is everyone doing on their goals for 2012?

I did make my 2012 goal of acquiring a Journey into Mystery 83 in 4.0 Daydreaming

"You want me to trade you my comic for small rectangular sheets of green paper with the images of dead white men?"

ComicReaderBatman
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:20:37 PM

I have a ton of 2012 goals but hear are my top 5:

1. Batman #200
2. DC Super Stars #10
3. Green Lantern #120
4. Batman #185
5. Batman #232

I hope to get them within a year and hope to spend less than $150

I wear a mask. And that mask, it's not to hide who I am, but to create what I am.
oakman29
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:29:41 PM

ComicReaderBatman wrote:
I have a ton of 2012 goals but hear are my top 5:

1. Batman #200
2. DC Super Stars #10
3. Green Lantern #120
4. Batman #185
5. Batman #232

I hope to get them within a year and hope to spend less than $150

Batman 232 is probably my favorite bronze age batman book.I am a huge Ras fan.

BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:34:39 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

BurningDoom wrote:
1. I've been a cheap-skate collector FOREVER. Pretty much any issues over $5 a piece was too much for me. So I'm gonna start focusing more on getting better issues. I have gotten some real gems over the years at great prices or in package deals, but because I'm such a cheapskate they've been few and far in-between. I once got a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #300 for $20, but then went and sold it for $60 for party favors when I was teenager because I was a idiot as a teenager.

On my way towards that goal so far I've gotten Amazing Spider-Man #252 (1st chronological appearance of Spidey's Black Costume), Secret Wars #8 (1st in-story appearance of Spidey's Black Costume, and it completes my entire Secret Wars collection of both mini-series!), and I got All-Star Comics #58 (1st issue printed of a JSA-centric comic since the Golden-Age, and 1st Power Girl).

2. Finish off my Ultimates collection already. I've been just a handful of issues away from completing my original Ultimates collection of Ultimates 1, Ultimates 2, and Ultimate Power.

3. Continue building on my Green Lantern collection. I've got a lot, but maybe one day I'll have em all. Check out my thread on my Green Lantern collection here:

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=32253

I've also got a few non-comic collecting goals. Video game collecting goals:

1. Replace the TurboGrafx-16 my overweight cat broke by sitting on the controller where it plugs in and breaking the controller port rendering it unplayable. Angry

2. Replace my Sega CD which got far too touchy reading game discs.

3. Get a working 3DO system.

4. Get the rest of the Castlevania & Contra titles I need: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES), Super Castlevania IV (SNES), Castlevania: Bloodlines (Genesis), Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES), Contra: Hard Corps (Genesis), Contra: Shattered Soldier (PS2), & Contra 4 (DS).

Comics:

1. I haven't gotten as many key issues as I wanted. I can add Shazam #1 (1971) and DC Comics Presents #87 (Crisis issue and 1st Superboy-Prime) to my list of Secret Wars #8, Amazing Spider-Man #252, and All-Star Comics #58.

2. My Ultimates 1, Ultimates 2, and the Annuals are all completed. But I still do need 3 issues of Ultimate Power.

3. I'm always working on my Green Lantern collection, that will likely never be complete.

Video Games:

1. I now have a TurboGrafx-16 once again, thanks to my awesome wife!

2. Still haven't replaced my Sega CD.

3. Still haven't gotten a 3DO

4. I have since gotten Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance to add to my Castlevania collection. Sadly, I haven't gotten any of the Contra titles I need.

New Goals:

Comics:

1. Finish off the lengthy Geoff Johns JSA run. I am so very close.

2. Finish off my Post-Crisis Superman want-list. Pretty close to this one, too, but not nearly as close as I am my JSA run.

Video Games:

1. Get some of the Gradius games. A fantastic shoot-em up series.

2. Re-build my TurboGrafx-16 collection (which is gonna be a lot pricier this time around than the last, dang have the prices risen on TG-16 games).

3. Build my Wii game collection while the prices are low on them.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
StreetNERD
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:06:34 PM

1*get my self a flash 123Waiting
2*get all the top issues of the JLA and as many DC comic as i can want to hit 250 issues Wall
3*start my batman collectionAt Wits' End D'oh
4*start my green lantern collectionAt Wits' End D'oh
5*try and get more into Marvel comicsLiarAngel

SHAZAM!!!!

follow me @ComicHeadTerry on Instagram
hedgeknight
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 12:00:59 PM

Succeeded in the following bound volume goals:

1/ Elfquest
2/ Power Pack
3/ Conan the Barbarian
4/ Daredevil
5/ Thunderbolts
6/ Ghost (Dark Horse)
7/ Comics Greatest World
8/ The Shadow
9/ Man-Thing
10/ Monster of Frankenstein
11/ Werewolf by Night

Working on some modern horror volumes, Swamp Thing run, Rocketeer run, and a few individual books.

Also can check off a few other goals:
1/ Attended Heroes Con in June.
2/ Picked up a few Avengers bronze age books and some nice early Iron Man books.

Winter is coming...
oakman29
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 8:01:51 PM

hedgeknight wrote:
Succeeded in the following bound volume goals:

1/ Elfquest
2/ Power Pack
3/ Conan the Barbarian
4/ Daredevil
5/ Thunderbolts
6/ Ghost (Dark Horse)
7/ Comics Greatest World
8/ The Shadow
9/ Man-Thing
10/ Monster of Frankenstein
11/ Werewolf by Night

Working on some modern horror volumes, Swamp Thing run, Rocketeer run, and a few individual books.

Also can check off a few other goals:
1/ Attended Heroes Con in June.
2/ Picked up a few Avengers bronze age books and some nice early Iron Man books.

Applause

ShenValleyInitiative
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 9:55:16 PM

1. Streamline my comics collection to characters and titles I really, really, really like. Not just passing interest stuff any longer.

2. Fill in the gaps on classic runs of past titles.

3. Fill in the gaps on my MU 3.75 action figure collection. At about 90% right now.

4. Pimp out my new man cave at the new place.

4saken1
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 11:36:08 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

1) Assuming all of my current eBay/CCL orders pan out, I'll have completed my Elephantmen run and should be able to start reading them.

2) I've come close to finishing my Goon collection....there's only about half dozen early appearances I'm still looking for. Most likely this one will be a 2013 goal of mine.

3) I have low hopes of ever getting early 1st printings of Bone, but there's just a few more issues I need before I can start reading these. I've actually been tempted several times to buy all the ones I'm missing, but either the price was more than I wanted to pay, or the grade was too low. If I run out of stuff to read (not likely) I'll go ahead and bite the bullet on this one.

4) Love and Rockets (and various other Hernandez Bros. comics). Not many people have these, and finding high grade copies is even harder when looking for magazine sized books. I'm patient, though....

5) Catch up on my reading! I've been perpetually 6 months behind for a few years now, mainly because I collect nearly 70 titles and also had to catch up for a ten year hiatus from comics. It's kind of a long term goal, but it looks like I'll be on top of things probably by the end of 2013, or at least well on my way to being current again.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get some of your comics for 30% off
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

ukblueky
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 12:22:53 PM

Well since 2012 is about over I'll refer to this as my 2012-2013 goals.

Complete my run of Conan the Barbarian (only need from issue 213 forward)
Complete Conan the Cimmerian run and start on the Dark Horse vol of Conan the Barbarian.
Fill in gaps in my Batman and Detective Comics runs.(almost done with this)
Start buying Tomb of Dracula and the first volume of Werewolf by Night.
Continue to complete Savage Sword of Conan collection.(which is getting easier now that more sellers are listing them on CCL)