Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Marvel Double Feature....The Avengers/Giant-Man Options
monidaw1
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 11:48:10 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

A couple questions.

Instead of having their own title based on their indica they're lumped under Avengers 379, 380, 381 and 382 as variants. The indica clearly states their title.

I'll provide the other 3 scans if desired but all 4 indicas are the same Marvel Double Feature.
On a personnel note this led to me not knowing they existed for a good amount of time after having read the Avengers and going back to collect them later seperately. I'm good now but other's may still be missing them.

Why are these treated differently than the other double feature books like the one's with X-men First Class?

I've also now come across a copy with a $2.00 cover price instead of the $2.50 listed.

Are we talking a variant C listing even though it also has the same Marvel double Feature indica?
Not listing because cover price (which is the only difference I can find) isn't enough to be a variant?
Not listing as a C since one day there might be a new title with Marvel Double Feature as part of the name and then we'd have 2 variants under a copy they aren't a variant of to relocate and invalidate?
Enquiring minds want to know Confused

Bamf!!! Photobucket Pages

monidaw1
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 5:49:22 AM

Shop at My Store

Secret discussions going on in the secret approver forum?

A: Submit a Variant C which it isn't really.

or

B: Ignore it and hopefully noone else will notice the $2 cover price instead of the $2.50 cover price.

or

C: Giant-Man gets his first ever inclusion in a title after 50 years.

comicscastle
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 6:55:42 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

monidaw1 wrote:
Secret discussions going on in the secret approver forum?

A: Submit a Variant C which it isn't really.

or

B: Ignore it and hopefully noone else will notice the $2 cover price instead of the $2.50 cover price.

or

C: Giant-Man gets his first ever inclusion in a title after 50 years.
Option A

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

monidaw1
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 10:25:57 AM

Shop at My Store

Will do. That takes care of the business part.

Now onto the enquiring minds wanting to know part, why is this set of 4 books exempt from the listing titles by indica thing? Any official explanation on that yet?

Also, was the Giant-Man story ever gathered into a single TPB? It's a pretty good read all by itself covering just about every individual ever expossed to Pym particles at that time.

monidaw1
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 10:35:48 AM

Shop at My Store

This is really cool. I just realized if you put the Giant-Man covers together they come together to form a giant poster of Giant-Mans head with a circle of ants flying around his head along with his X-Wife the Wasp. I'll see if I can get a picture of them all together. Now I'm thinking about getting a second set just to use one framed into a picture frame.

monidaw1
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 11:07:23 AM

Shop at My Store

That didn't work. I was trying to get it to display the way the poster's gonna look when I get it framed. Top left and top right side by side with the bottom left and bottom right side by side below that.

SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 11:11:13 AM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

monidaw1 wrote:
Now onto the enquiring minds wanting to know part, why is this set of 4 books exempt from the listing titles by indica thing? Any official explanation on that yet?

The guidelines explicitly address this:

"If one side of the flipbook contains content and numbering from a currently running series, add the issue to the current series."

In other words, just because a publisher decides to mess with an indicia for four issues of a 30 year old ongoing title because they made it a flipbook doesn't mean common sense of keeping it in the same title shouldn't prevail.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
monidaw1
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 11:53:15 AM

Shop at My Store

It's not common sense if it involves ignoring the indica and the result is hiding original content from the search engine, which in turn hides it from individuals who may not realize it exists if they don't habitually click on every blue folder, of every issue, of every title in the database to see what's hiding where. I'm flexible as usual and always a fan of fewer titles and keeping 30+ year titles together if they're numerically sequencial. Now to see if we can apply a little common sense to the X titles in the near future or at least add the dash system of title listing/changing indicas.

X-men/Uncanny X-men

X-men(1991)/New X-Men/ X-men Legacy

SwiftMann
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 12:45:15 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

monidaw1 wrote:
It's not common sense if it involves ignoring the indica and the result is hiding original content from the search engine, which in turn hides it from individuals who may not realize it exists if they don't habitually click on every blue folder, of every issue, of every title in the database to see what's hiding where.

What was hidden? The Giant-Man back-up? The only reason someone couldn't find that is because no info has been provided for a large chunk of Avengers books, including those issues.

Quote:
I'm flexible as usual and always a fan of fewer titles and keeping 30+ year titles together if they're numerically sequencial. Now to see if we can apply a little common sense to the X titles in the near future or at least add the dash system of title listing/changing indicas.

X-men/Uncanny X-men

X-men(1991)/New X-Men/ X-men Legacy

I don't follow. Two of these were permanent title changes and one was a significantly long (40 issues) title change. They are all linked via the Related Titles info and have notes in the title caption.

These are titled correctly with plenty of pointers to how the name changes. And they have nothing to do with the four issue flip book thing in Avengers.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
monidaw1
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 3:04:04 PM

Shop at My Store

Quote:
What was hidden? The Giant-Man back-up? The only reason someone couldn't find that is because no info has been provided for a large chunk of Avengers books, including those issues.

If it was listed by its indica and someone searches Giant-man or any variation then it'd show up. As it is now, by ignoring the indica, a title search only yields the single Marvel Masterworks title and not a single comic title or pointer to any issues anywhere. That is directly hiding something, not in an impossible to find place but in one you might not know to go looking. Maybe this will help.

Carnation Caramel Apple here would be Apple 279C.

Just because there's an apple in it doesn't make it an apple. The manufacturer gave it a different wrapper or cover, a different name and lots of extra stuff representing 50% of the book. The center staple is the break point between the two. In the apple case sure there's an apple but there's also a nice delicious caramel wrapping and a stick.

Quote:
These are titled correctly with plenty of pointers to how the name changes. And they have nothing to do with the four issue

It has to do with you mentioning CCL and common sense and my hoping it'll eventually spread to bring all the X titles back together. It's stupid to have broken them up like they are scattering them around the store in different boxes when they're a numerically sequential series and as I've pointed out before, causing people not to know some issues exist unless they know to search every variation of the title and check to see where the annuals have been scattered around at. If indicas are the bottom line then and final word, then they're scattered, but as is becoming obvious, exceptions are being made and a simple exception to allow a slash if a title changes it's name in the indica so that they all turn up together in a search will hopefully be in the future. Common sense as you called it.

Back to the issue at hand, what do we have to submit to have Giant-Man turn up searching the library or database from the store inventory search engine?

Thundercron
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 4:06:42 PM

Shop at My Store

If you're a Giant-Man fan, and want Giant-Man appearances......then you'll do a Giant-Man character search in the library.

Spider-Man
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 5:13:25 PM

Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber

Signature design by CCL's own DrFate

SpiderFan.org

crackerjack1
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 7:52:06 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

monidaw1 wrote:
Quote:

If it was listed by its indica and someone searches Giant-man or any variation then it'd show up. As it is now, by ignoring the indica, a title search only yields the single Marvel Masterworks title and not a single comic title or pointer to any issues anywhere. That is directly hiding something, not in an impossible to find place but in one you might not know to go looking. Maybe this will help.

Carnation Caramel Apple here would be Apple 279C.

Just because there's an apple in it doesn't make it an apple. The manufacturer gave it a different wrapper or cover, a different name and lots of extra stuff representing 50% of the book. The center staple is the break point between the two. In the apple case sure there's an apple but there's also a nice delicious caramel wrapping and a stick.

Quote:
These are titled correctly with plenty of pointers to how the name changes. And they have nothing to do with the four issue

It has to do with you mentioning CCL and common sense and my hoping it'll eventually spread to bring all the X titles back together. It's stupid to have broken them up like they are scattering them around the store in different boxes when they're a numerically sequential series and as I've pointed out before, causing people not to know some issues exist unless they know to search every variation of the title and check to see where the annuals have been scattered around at. If indicas are the bottom line then and final word, then they're scattered, but as is becoming obvious, exceptions are being made and a simple exception to allow a slash if a title changes it's name in the indica so that they all turn up together in a search will hopefully be in the future. Common sense as you called it.

Back to the issue at hand, what do we have to submit to have Giant-Man turn up searching the library or database from the store inventory search engine?

I'm confused. You wanted to bring all the X-Men titles together, but split these Avengers issues from the regular title?

Current Pull List

Ongoing Series

All-New Ultimates, All-New X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Amazing X-Men, Angel & Faith, Avengers, Avengers World, Batman, Batman Eternal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Daredevil, Earth 2, East of West, Fantastic Four, Flash, Ghostbusters, Guardians of the Galaxy, Harley Quinn, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Injustice, Iron Fist, Justice League, Lazarus, Mega Man, Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man, Moon Knight, New Avengers, New Warriors, Nova, Scooby-Doo, Scooby-Doo Team-Up, Sinestro, Star Wars, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Teen Titans Go!, TMNT, TMNT Color Classics, TMNT New Animated Adventures, Tomb Raider, Ultimate Spider-Man, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, WWE Superstars, X-Men

Mini Series

Danger Girl: Mayday, Deadpool vs Carnage, Dexter's Laboratory, Figment, Original Sin, Original Sins, Serenity: Leaves on the Wind, Superman Unchained, Tiny Titans: Return to the Treehouse

All Spider-Man and TMNT Appearances and Variants
monidaw1
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 12:06:40 PM

Shop at My Store

Quote:
I'm confused. You wanted to bring all the X-Men titles together, but split these Avengers issues from the regular title?

You should be confussed if you can't look at book and see 1/2 of it's NOT an Avengers story, has it's own distinct cover and has an indica that emphasizes that point. The point appears settled here. Rules were installed at the beginning that didn't forsee every eventuality that could arise or the harm they would cause and can never ever be changed. Think of it kinda like when our forefathers made that Constitution thing. They got it right the first time and left no way to make changes down the road when needed. Confused Wait a minute, maybe they did leave a way for Amendments to the thing to take place. Dancing If so then maybe since this is election season maybe beating the stump a little for a few common sense reforms isn't that far fetched. Pray If not now then we keep lobbying over and over and over again until they do. Wall

Quote:
If you're a Giant-Man fan, and want Giant-Man appearances......then you'll do a Giant-Man character search in the library

I don't rule that out at some point down the road but settling for digging through what I would hope would be an extremely huge list of every book he ever appeared in after learning how to do a "character" search isn't the same thing as a quick search in the bar on the left of every page, not just the library, of actual titles availible for sale right now that his name appears in and so far there appears to be only one title his name appears in that's in comic form since his introduction in November of 1963, it's just ignored here.

While we're talking flexible rule filing systems, anyone know where these titles are?
The Amazing Spider-man; Managing Materials

or

The Amazing Spider-man VS Dr. Octopus

Hint, one's the title on the cover, the other's the title the indica uses and it only took me two tries on two seperate days to stumble across where it's filed.