Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Desktop Software - variants Options
goldrush76
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 10:34:26 PM
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Is there a way to filter variants from a gaps report or catalog view? Most of the time I only have interest in simply having any single copy of a given issue. So for example, I can't just add a run of a particular title to my wish-list without also adding dozens of variants along with it.... I'd be satisified with it just putting the "A" cover in there and knowing I just need a copy when I go to buy.....
Tamwood
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:16:22 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Go to your collections view. Hover your mouse over the grey area beneath/beside the issue numbers. Right click. You'll have options, one in which involves folders. Choose that. Un-check any boxes you do not wish to have in your collection. Save. There ya go.
goldrush76
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 12:29:33 AM

Thanks for yoru help, but it seems even when in my collection views no matter where I click ,the "folders" option in the drop down menu is greyed out. I can tinker with column choices no problem. Folders, not so much.
goldrush76
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 12:32:24 AM

hm. I tried it again after closing and opening the software it looks like I can edit the folder options now. Thanks Happy
goldrush76
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 12:38:00 AM

ok close but not quite. I tried this on Alpha Flight first for example, I right click at the top and select the folder dropdown, add/remove ... it brings up the entire collection and i uncheck the entire list using the select/deslect all. I remove everything and save.

Now I'm left with an entirely empty list, instead of just the "A" cover for each issue.....

Tamwood
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 7:00:35 AM

Because you removed EVERYTHING. Remove the issues you DO NOT WANT. The UK/Canadian/Newsstand price variants. The 1:1 bajillions variant covers. Leave the A versions.
goldrush76
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 11:53:04 PM

OK True. But consider the fact that I want to do this for something like Amazing Spider-Man , Uncanny X-Men, Avengers, whatever , a LOOOOOONG running title.... well guess how many canadian and U.K. price variants I have to scroll through to manually remove from every single title? It will take for-ev-ER!!!! Happy

Yes , I did also notice that I can click on the "variant" heading there to sort the list easily, and then go and uncheck all of the price or other non-desired variants as I wish... but that is still a very long process. I can't even shift-click to grab a group of them.

So we are part-way there.... I guess this would have to be a feature request of some sort. This makes me think of the auto/custom filter/sort feature.... you can selct your entire range of data... then hit filter, and the drop down arrow... and I can uncheck a few things, and remove hundreds of rows at a time....

So if I could do that, and remove anything that matched "canadian price variant" or "UK price variant" ... at least I'd be left with all "real" variants .... or just remove everything B- , C-, D- , E- .... whatever I like...

Follow me? Happy
Tamwood
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 2:11:59 AM

I've done it for every one of those titles. I did it for Action and Detective, too, both of which ran longer than any Marvel title. It goes quicker than you'd think, and once it's done, you just need to update it every once in a while after we've added more UK/Canadian variants.
Flagwaver
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 6:32:08 AM

I, too, have done it for long running titles. I have thousands of titles in my collection and wishlist and it is a major pain but can be done. I wish the Brits and Canucks could have their own version of the software so we wouldn't have to deal with their books. What I really hate is that you can clear out all the foreigh variants but a week later more will pop up in the same title.
goldrush76
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 10:06:26 AM

Alrighty then. I guess I have my work cut out for me! Sad lol.