Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » Marvel Comics » Marvel digital ownership?
kingmike74
Sunday, February 03, 2013 11:19:21 AM
Rank: Eternal
Groups: Member
Joined: 5/8/2008 | Posts: 219 | Points: 657
Noob to the whole thing so no laughing......


Do the digital codes in my Marvel books and the codes I buy from Marvel allow me to own those comics forever in digital form? Will they be downloaded right to my PC or only to an app? Will I need constant Internet access to read of once they are they ready to read with no Internet access?

Jim
Sunday, February 03, 2013 11:30:42 AM
Rank: CCL Mobile App Dev
Groups: Member
Location: Everett, WA
Joined: 6/16/2007 | Posts: 10,451 | Points: 10,102,487
Unfortunately those codes will only work as long as Marvel maintains the DRM servers hosting the digital comics and you can't keep an offline backup if them.
padreglcc
Sunday, February 03, 2013 11:47:08 AM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host
Location: Bangor, Michigan
Joined: 5/6/2007 | Posts: 5,430 | Points: 600,628
kingmike74 wrote:
Will I need constant Internet access to read of once they are they ready to read with no Internet access?

Once you download a digital copy to your reader, I believe it's readable offline. I know that's the case for books I've downloaded using Comixology.
“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.

Need help? Feel free to contact one of the Moderators or Approvers.
kingmike74
Sunday, February 03, 2013 11:57:13 AM
Rank: Eternal
Groups: Member
Joined: 5/8/2008 | Posts: 219 | Points: 657
Thx guys


So "collecting" digital and unloading my physical copies might mean done day I can lose my whole collection?

Also, what if one day I wanted to sell my digital collection. Could I just sell all my digitals then just give my user Jane and password up, relinquishing my collection to a new owner?
BurningDoom
Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:09:15 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, TV Host
Location: Redding, CA
Joined: 1/5/2007 | Posts: 12,819 | Points: 61,190
Jim wrote:
Unfortunately those codes will only work as long as Marvel maintains the DRM servers hosting the digital comics and you can't keep an offline backup if them.


I hate DRM. If you paid for something fair and square, then you should be able to with it what you want. Like making a digital library of your CD collection or (to go even further back) like making a cassette or VHS back-up of music or a movie.
Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Jim
Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:29:50 PM
Rank: CCL Mobile App Dev
Groups: Member
Location: Everett, WA
Joined: 6/16/2007 | Posts: 10,451 | Points: 10,102,487
kingmike74 wrote:
Thx guys


So "collecting" digital and unloading my physical copies might mean done day I can lose my whole collection?

Also, what if one day I wanted to sell my digital collection. Could I just sell all my digitals then just give my user Jane and password up, relinquishing my collection to a new owner?


If you read the fine print this is against the EULA. You could do it but you and the person you sold it to could risk losing future access to digital content with them. Essentially these services (because that's all this digital stuff is, are just leasing content to you. I think they should be made to come out and say it but right now they aren't required to so yeah, if their DRM servers ever go away so does the stuff you bought. For an example of the mess this causes see the Yahoo music unlimited shutdown mess. This almost happened to Microsoft too when it wanted to shutdown their MSN music DRM servers, it leaves people still using it out in the cold with useless digital media they can't play.
Jim
Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:30:20 PM
Rank: CCL Mobile App Dev
Groups: Member
Location: Everett, WA
Joined: 6/16/2007 | Posts: 10,451 | Points: 10,102,487
BurningDoom wrote:
Jim wrote:
Unfortunately those codes will only work as long as Marvel maintains the DRM servers hosting the digital comics and you can't keep an offline backup if them.


I hate DRM. If you paid for something fair and square, then you should be able to with it what you want. Like making a digital library of your CD collection or (to go even further back) like making a cassette or VHS back-up of music or a movie.


I agree 100%
Users browsing this topic
Guest

Forum Jump

Access

You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

This page was generated in 0.152 seconds.
(0.091 seconds)

All images on comic collector live copyright of their respective publishers. © Copyright 2015, MidTen Media Inc. GOLO231