Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Recommendation for an X-Men newbie Options
aaus
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:33:51 AM

Groups: Member

Hi,

I’ve always been a little far off the X-Men titles. Nowadays, I’m looking looking for a fresh start to a new series, and since X-Men is a somewhat new material to me, I decided to plunge in the X-Men Universe.

Of course I’m familiar with the X-Men. But this is pretty much due to animated series or movies. I also read some comic books too (especially Ultimate X-Men), but never in a regular way.

So where do you think should I start? Which titles, which era? Also for ongoing series, what is the flagship title? All New X Men or Uncanny X Men Vol 3? Should I hang out with these actual series too, or should I read the older stuff first?

Cheers,
Ali

“Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.”
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:11:07 AM

You could pick up trades on the uncanny x men to play catch up. Or even an online digital subscription. I think you pay monthly or something to that effect and you can read as many books you wants. I could be wrong. Lots have been going on with them. To much for to keep up with but trades and digital would be want I would do to get up to speed. That or just Google the history to this point.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:11:46 AM

Also, welcome to the boards.

MoonKnight1
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:33:02 AM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Hi Ali, welcome to the site! And all the way from Istanbul, Turkey. It's great to have comic book fans all over the world.

If I may, I'd like to suggest the Chris Claremont / John Byrne X-Men run - #108-143 from 1977 to 1981. This era is widely regarded as a high point in X-Men continuity. The original issues are expensive but you can find reprints in Classic X-Men that are quite affordable. I like Classic X-Men because the early issues had new material presented as back-up tales and also had original artwork on the back covers. Highly recommended.

Have fun collecting!
Howie

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Hall Liquidations

BurningDoom
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:00:42 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

X-Men is a tough series to get into as noob. Everything builds upon what came before and everything is tied to everything else. You have to go back for years to understand what's going on often times. This is exactly why I'm not into X-Men as much as I was in the 80s and early 90s.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:18:28 PM

Yeah. Now-a-days its a soap opera. It got to be such a hassle I dropped x men all together.

padreglcc
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:32:10 PM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

SuperSoldier124 wrote:
Yeah. Now-a-days its a soap opera. It got to be such a hassle I dropped x men all together.

Right there with you. The only X book I still read is X-Factor because it pretty much stands alone by itself.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:58:01 PM

padreglcc wrote:
SuperSoldier124 wrote:

Right there with you. The only X book I still read is X-Factor because it pretty much stands alone by itself.
I was following that book in Afghanistan last year mainly because it was the one book I could get my hands on over there at the PX's set up at the air fields and was pleasantly surprised how good that book was. I would have kept following it when I got back but my pull list the wife was picking up was already to big.

aaus
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:01:33 PM

Thank you all for your welcome messages and advices. I really like this place a lot!

I think I'll start with the issues of early 80s X-Men/Claremont Era. I'm also organizing my Ultimate X-Men issues (mostly in Turkish). I don't know why, but I've always been a bit fond of Ultimate Universe:)

fenix1977
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:03:07 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

If you don't mind reading comics on your computer and can find a copy get "40 Years of X-Men". It has all the X-MEN comic books from September 1963 through August 2005, including debut issue. I lucked into getting this DVD-Rom for my birthday the year it came out.

Also X-Force (2008) and Uncanny X-Force (2010) as well as X-Factor are excellent reads.

Mad Bloggings

aaus
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:13:54 AM

fenix1977 wrote:
If you don't mind reading comics on your computer and can find a copy get "40 Years of X-Men". It has all the X-MEN comic books from September 1963 through August 2005, including debut issue. I lucked into getting this DVD-Rom for my birthday the year it came out.

Wow! That's exactly what I want. I'll consider getting one.

Even if the prints are my first choice, I really like reading e-comics as well. For example, I think ipad is a great tool for reading comicbooks.

Raziel84
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:59:02 AM

well as far as ongoing x-men titles go I think for uncanny x-men you have to atleast read AvX same goes for All New X-Men because of where the chareters are I do recomend All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men but I am a long time x-men fan as far as the older books go the "40 Years of X-men" is just too cool and now I will hunt for that also good luck and I hope you enjoy these books as much as I do Big Grin
BurningDoom
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:02:26 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

fenix1977 wrote:

If you've got $150 to blow, then it's a good option. That's a lot of dough for an entertainment purchase, for me.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
aaus
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:14:25 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
fenix1977 wrote:

If you've got $150 to blow, then it's a good option. That's a lot of dough for an entertainment purchase, for me.

I haven't checked the price until you mentioned. But yeah, you're right. $150 is a bit expensive.

Raziel84
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:49:55 AM

aaus wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
fenix1977 wrote:

I haven't checked the price until you mentioned. But yeah, you're right. $150 is a bit expensive.

Well I think you get close to 323 issues for 150$ that is just so much cheaper and easier than buying that many back issues I know for me its an overall deal so yeah 150$ is a bit high but in x-men back issues I have spent more than that for less issues but that is just my opinion
aaus
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2013 4:52:48 AM

I bought and started to read it all the way from the start. It's really fun.