Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Lost everything in my cart ! Options
Joe_in_MO
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 1:04:53 AM
Groups: Member

Hi, I'm brand new to this website, and had spent about 3 hours adding books to my cart... then at about midnight (an hour ago), the website died and I could not get it to refresh. It finally came back (now an hour later), but I've lost ALL of my items in my cart ! What gives ?? Do I have to start all over or are they stored somewhere that can be retrieved ? Joe
Thundercron
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 2:03:57 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Hello and welcome! Unfortunately, you'll have to start over putting items back into your cart. The cart is designed to dump after a few hours, so that customers can't "hold" items for extended periods of time. From what I hear, it can be annoying when building large orders.
CrossbowComics
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 2:26:29 AM

Shop at My Store

Actually it dumps after 30 minutes of inactivity. They need to fix that in the next update. Definitely sorry about that, it's happened to me too.

NOW OPEN - TreehouseComicShop.com
also top rated on Ebay as ideaman33

CrossbowComics
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 2:22:16 PM

Shop at My Store

I'm going to venture into la-la land here but it would be sweet to be able to save your order so you could come back & finish it later. In addition the seller could have the option to allow or not allow saved orders & maybe even be able to purge the ones he deemed malicious. Maybe have a time limit?

Something bad must have happened in the beginning where somebody's inventory got tied up. Nowadays the stores are bigger, someone could click for an hour straight & maybe tie up 180 of my 15,000 books, more power to them. The one situation I noticed where an extended shopping cart could cause trouble is with small stores like Joe's Books or Canary's where they announced 1-day major sales & there's a mad rush, someone could actually tie up a decent chunk of their inventory. This assumes that someone would put books in a cart without the intention of buying them though, therapy could be in order.

Anyway, I'm just tossing around ideas to make shopping easier that also work around the concerns some sellers have. CCL is very pro-buyer & dumping a cart after 30 minutes kind of goes against the grain, Jim did say they might loosen things a bit in the next update.

Doug at Treehouse

MoonKnight1
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 2:52:01 PM

Groups: Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joe_in_MO wrote:
Hi, I'm brand new to this website, and had spent about 3 hours adding books to my cart... then at about midnight (an hour ago), the website died and I could not get it to refresh. It finally came back (now an hour later), but I've lost ALL of my items in my cart ! What gives ?? Do I have to start all over or are they stored somewhere that can be retrieved ? Joe

Hi Joe,
I'm sorry that your first experience with this site was sub-par. There are upgrades to the system coming that will hopefully take care of issues such as that. In the meantime I have a suggestion to help you. Instead of compiling one big order do a series of smaller ones and ask the Seller to combine the orders. I know that I would have no problem with this and in fact have done so with several customers. I hope that you give Comic Collector Live another try and that you have a better encounter next time.
Take care!
Howie

Fantastic News! Hall of Heroes has now surpassed 600 Hero Ratings! I couldn't have done it without all of you and I will strive to maintain and improve my high standards. Which brings me to my next announcement - starting now, all shipments will come with tracking at no extra charge to you! I'm a little late to the party but as they say - better late than never. You spoke and I heard you loud and clear. Excelsior!

Now with 1,500+ positive feedback on the four letter site!
Standing offer to all CCL Members - every purchase you make from my other store (link below) earns you at least one freebie of my choice! If you purchase from Hall Liquidations send a PM to Hall of Heroes and let me know! Thanks!

Hall Liquidations

Alarion
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 4:02:11 PM

CrossbowComics wrote:
I'm going to venture into la-la land here but it would be sweet to be able to save your order so you could come back & finish it later. In addition the seller could have the option to allow or not allow saved orders & maybe even be able to purge the ones he deemed malicious. Maybe have a time limit?

Something bad must have happened in the beginning where somebody's inventory got tied up. Nowadays the stores are bigger, someone could click for an hour straight & maybe tie up 180 of my 15,000 books, more power to them. The one situation I noticed where an extended shopping cart could cause trouble is with small stores like Joe's Books or Canary's where they announced 1-day major sales & there's a mad rush, someone could actually tie up a decent chunk of their inventory. This assumes that someone would put books in a cart without the intention of buying them though, therapy could be in order.

Anyway, I'm just tossing around ideas to make shopping easier that also work around the concerns some sellers have. CCL is very pro-buyer & dumping a cart after 30 minutes kind of goes against the grain, Jim did say they might loosen things a bit in the next update.

Doug at Treehouse

Good idea. I am sure it's hard to balance being fair to both the buyer and seller in this case. What if you could save your cart, but you could only have a "30 minute" hold. You almost need a "ticketmaster" like interface or something. I can see this being a pain in the butt to manage in code.
BurningDoom
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 8:32:24 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Alarion wrote:
CrossbowComics wrote:

Doug at Treehouse

Good idea. I am sure it's hard to balance being fair to both the buyer and seller in this case. What if you could save your cart, but you could only have a "30 minute" hold. You almost need a "ticketmaster" like interface or something. I can see this being a pain in the butt to manage in code.

Why not hold it in your cart for as long as you want so you don't have to search for it again. But at the same time, until it actually sells, it's still available for others to purchase. That's how it works with the cart feature on eBay, isn't it? Is that possible here?

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Jim
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 11:32:21 PM

BurningDoom wrote:
Alarion wrote:
CrossbowComics wrote:

Doug at Treehouse

Why not hold it in your cart for as long as you want so you don't have to search for it again. But at the same time, until it actually sells, it's still available for others to purchase. That's how it works with the cart feature on eBay, isn't it? Is that possible here?

Then you get into a situation where buyers can buy "hot" books out from under one another. I could see that sending some people over the edge...

CCL Android app
CCL Android Free app
CCL Windows Phone app
DRUMCZAR
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 1:20:00 AM

Shop at My Store

Instead of Time limit, Why couldn't the cart be saved until the buyer logs out of the site. If I was searching for a ton books from a store(s). I'd already have my list in front of me to pick, Click & buy. If the cart is open for the duration of the buyer's CCL session, then as long as They're logged in They won't lose their cart. If they leave the site, then the Cart would clear & relist the books back into the Sellers Inventory.

Alan

PEACE!

EVERYTHING IS 30% OFF!!!

FREE SHIPPING (US Only) STARTS AT $20(Media) / $30 (Priority)
(US Orders only)

ALL INTERNATIONAL SHIPMENTS GET FREE INSURANCE & TRACKING!!!

SHOP AT MY STORE - - ADC'S COLLECTION!

I AM HIGHLY COMMITTED TO MAKING IT ONE OF THE BEST BUYING EXPERIENCES YOU'VE EVER HAD!!!

BALTIMORE RAVENS SUPERBOWL XLVII CHAMPIONS!!!

GO RAVENS !!!
BurningDoom
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 1:45:56 AM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

Jim wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:
Alarion wrote:
CrossbowComics wrote:

Doug at Treehouse

Then you get into a situation where buyers can buy "hot" books out from under one another. I could see that sending some people over the edge...

I don't see how it's buying books out from one another. It's simply first come, first serve. Seems to work fine on eBay.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
Tamwood
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 3:34:44 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Really? In a thread about the cart timing out, because the buyer took too long to shop?

I find a Saga #1 for cover on here. I add it to my cart. Someone else finds the same copy, and adds it to their cart and checks out. Suddenly, because I was taking too long to shop, I lose the item from my cart. I'd be ticked.

And trying to set anything up with eBay as a model is just silly. Next, we'll be demanding that nobody accepts checks, money orders or credit cards over the phone, and insisting that sellers can't leave negative feedback for buyers.
CrossbowComics
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 4:23:56 AM

Shop at My Store

We kind of hashed this out once before, my impression is that the life of the shopping cart would be extended into the 1-2 hour range, and more importantly there would be a notice somewhere stating that carts will empty after a certain amount of inactivity. It wouldn't be perfect but it would be better & probably wouldn't involve much work on Jim's part.

Alarion
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 8:22:27 AM

CrossbowComics wrote:
We kind of hashed this out once before, my impression is that the life of the shopping cart would be extended into the 1-2 hour range, and more importantly there would be a notice somewhere stating that carts will empty after a certain amount of inactivity. It wouldn't be perfect but it would be better & probably wouldn't involve much work on Jim's part.

This is probably one of the best compromises. It lets one "hold" a book for a limited time, but still allows them a very reasonable amount of time to shop. I like it, personally.

Though, to Jim's point(or where I think his thinking is going), is that this does allow a particularly malicious person to hold on to hot books for a long time (by simply re-adding it). Again, this would require a particularly malicious person and is absolutely an edge case.

Then, you get into the issue of timing of the cart as a whole and timing of when you added each book.

For example,
I go to Treehouse and add 3-4 items in my wishlist. First items in my cart for this shop, it kicks off a 2 hour timer.

I then browse some more and come across a few books I wouldn't mind having from Treehouse and add those. Assume this is 30 minutes later. I now only have 1.5 hours to hold on to those books.

I then get called away to help the wife with something for 1 hour. I come back and have to tend to a customer for a moment. When I finally get back to CCL, my cart has been active for 1 hour and 55 minutes (again, hypothetical example). I continue to browse for 5 more minutes and then go to add a few more books and POOF my cart is gone.

You don't want to "refresh" or "reset" the timer when you add a book, because then you open the door for more particularly malicious people to perpetually keep stuff locked up in a cart (maybe I don't like that Treehouse is undercutting me on a particular hot boook, so I just keep it locked up in my cart).

So what do you do? Maybe show a "timeout alert", like many banks do, when you get to ~15 minutes within your cart expiring informing you. When you get to ~5 minutes, it prompts asking for a one time (per cart "cycle") 30 minute extension to allow you to finish up.

Just some ideas. :)
Joe_in_MO
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 5:02:30 PM

Wow, thanks for all the great feedback ! I did go back in and replace all of my items in my cart and the order has been completed. But I don't think the cart emptying was a timing issue. I was actively adding things when suddenly the CCL website stopped responding. Other websites were working fine, so it wasn't anything on my end. When the CCL finally came back, that's when my cart was empty. I think there was about an hour delay... hey, maybe it was a timing issue after all ! Joe
CuriousGoodsNComics
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 12:33:52 PM

Joe_in_MO wrote:
Wow, thanks for all the great feedback ! I did go back in and replace all of my items in my cart and the order has been completed. But I don't think the cart emptying was a timing issue. I was actively adding things when suddenly the CCL website stopped responding. Other websites were working fine, so it wasn't anything on my end. When the CCL finally came back, that's when my cart was empty. I think there was about an hour delay... hey, maybe it was a timing issue after all ! Joe

thanks for sticking with it Joe, I appreciate all those orders you made with us at curious goods and comics...Don