Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Saga #1 Options
echo501
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 4:24:00 PM
Groups: Member

Can some one tell me what the big deal is with the demand / price for Saga #1 from Image Comics??

Thanks

Edited: I meant Saga not Sage. Apologies.
Reggie
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 4:26:13 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

Do you mean "Saga" or is Sage a different series?

echo501
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 8:23:19 PM

Yes, I meant Saga. Dumb typo.

Thanks
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 9:02:09 PM

low print run, good story, popular writer... its pretty common with image books and other small publishers.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

fenix1977
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 11:27:45 PM

That and everyone that could snagged multiple copies making it hard to find one.

Mad Bloggings

dunleavy75
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 12:22:18 AM

I gotta be honest, I didn't care for it at all. The first trade sold for $9.99 too, so I thought that would keep the price low on singles...I guess not.

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
Tamwood
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 2:24:16 AM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Selling the trade For $10 was marketing genius. All the people who didn't get original copies of the first arc, bought the trade. And now, they need to go back and pick up the individual issues at an inflated, secondary market cost.
Thundercron
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 8:45:25 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Tamwood wrote:
Selling the trade For $10 was marketing genius. All the people who didn't get original copies of the first arc, bought the trade. And now, they need to go back and pick up the individual issues at an inflated, secondary market cost.

Why do they need to go back and pick up the individual issues?? The whole point of buying a cheap trade is so you don't have to buy the pricey originals. And it wasn't priced cheaply to get people interested in buying individual back issues--Image has no interest in that, as they have no stake it back issues. It did, however, get people hooked cheaply so that they want to buy future issues.
caseysorrow
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 10:41:58 AM

Groups: Approver, Member

Thundercron wrote:
Tamwood wrote:

Why do they need to go back and pick up the individual issues?? The whole point of buying a cheap trade is so you don't have to buy the pricey originals. And it wasn't priced cheaply to get people interested in buying individual back issues--Image has no interest in that, as they have no stake it back issues. It did, however, get people hooked cheaply so that they want to buy future issues.

+1. Image has no stakes in the secondary market. The trade was priced cheaply to get people into the series and keep it going. However, trade releases often inflate back-issues since collectors realize what they passed on and suddenly "gotta catch em all" mentality drives the market. Saga has some excellent art, interesting characters, and a good story. First issue was a low print run, that is why it is a big deal.

Personally I think it's a little absurd, do you really have to collect all the printings? Next you know people are going to be hoarding foreign versions of the trade... oh, wait a minute...

heh. Tongue

Casey

Tamwood
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 3:47:55 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Perhaps "need" was the wrong choice of word.

Do you guys collect back issues of comics? Have you gone to a show or a store, and purchased an early Amazing Spider-Man or Batman book? Why? Most of the 700 issues of Amazing Spider-Man have been collected in trades somewhere (I'd imagine).

Maybe it's just me, but if I find a story that I like, I want to have the individual issues. I've got Dark Phoenix Saga in trade, in hardcover, and in individual issues.

And while Image certainly doesn't care too much about the secondary market value of their books, I believe the value of their titles on the secondary market helps their current profile.

Image has become, in many speculatorial eyes, as THE premiere publisher. Looking at the value of back issues of recent releases helps push people to speculate on upcoming releases.
dunleavy75
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 5:44:40 PM

Tamwood wrote:
Perhaps "need" was the wrong choice of word.

Do you guys collect back issues of comics? Have you gone to a show or a store, and purchased an early Amazing Spider-Man or Batman book? Why? Most of the 700 issues of Amazing Spider-Man have been collected in trades somewhere (I'd imagine).

Maybe it's just me, but if I find a story that I like, I want to have the individual issues. I've got Dark Phoenix Saga in trade, in hardcover, and in individual issues.

And while Image certainly doesn't care too much about the secondary market value of their books, I believe the value of their titles on the secondary market helps their current profile.

Image has become, in many speculatorial eyes, as THE premiere publisher. Looking at the value of back issues of recent releases helps push people to speculate on upcoming releases.

I'm the same way. There are some titles I have a trade and the singles for one reason or another. I also have random issues because they have a cover I really like too, but not necessarily the ongoing itself. Winking

SuperSoldier124
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 6:40:47 PM

i agree with tamwood... trades are nice but i'd much rather have the actual books in my hand. its just an awesome feeling.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

SwiftMann
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 8:00:10 PM

Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

dunleavy75 wrote:
I gotta be honest, I didn't care for it at all

Me either. I put up a pretty long review of the trade because I was so amazingly underwhelmed by all the people telling me how everyone HAS to read this AWESOME book. Bleh.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
dunleavy75
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 10:39:35 PM

SwiftMann wrote:
dunleavy75 wrote:
I gotta be honest, I didn't care for it at all

Me either. I put up a pretty long review of the trade because I was so amazingly underwhelmed by all the people telling me how everyone HAS to read this AWESOME book. Bleh.

Yep, I could care less. I'm not a big BKV fan though either, to be honest. I liked his Doc Strange story (The Oath), and that's about it. Devil

fenix1977
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 1:44:38 AM

Image seems to do that a lot with the first trade volume of a series. They seem to run $9.99 the go up to the 12.99-13.99 range I think. Which is smart because you get people in at a reasonable price.

Mad Bloggings