Log In Forums Help
Comic Collector Live
Home :: CCL Messageboard
Find Comics for Sale
Items For Sale
All Comics For Sale
New Releases
CGC Comics
Bundled Lots
Store Locator
Search Library
Search By Title
Publisher
Story Arc
Character
Credits
Release Date
Change Request Manager
News & Reviews
Reviews
News
Our Products and Services
Get the Software
Buying Comics And Stuff
Selling Your Comics
Opening A Store
Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Saga #1 Options
echo501
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 4:24:00 PM
Rank: Vigilante
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/5/2008
Posts: 90
Points: 680
Can some one tell me what the big deal is with the demand / price for Saga #1 from Image Comics??

Thanks

Edited: I meant Saga not Sage. Apologies.
Reggie
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 4:26:13 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 3/8/2007
Posts: 1,836
Points: 33,065
Location: Florida
Do you mean "Saga" or is Sage a different series?


echo501
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 8:23:19 PM
Rank: Vigilante
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/5/2008
Posts: 90
Points: 680
Yes, I meant Saga. Dumb typo.

Thanks
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 9:02:09 PM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/3/2007
Posts: 2,937
Points: 8,872
Location: Falcon, Colorado
low print run, good story, popular writer... its pretty common with image books and other small publishers.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

fenix1977
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 11:27:45 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 3/16/2007
Posts: 6,591
Points: 22,207
That and everyone that could snagged multiple copies making it hard to find one.



Mad Bloggings

dunleavy75
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 12:22:18 AM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/2/2008
Posts: 12,225
Points: 39,696
Location: south/central/east/west PA
I gotta be honest, I didn't care for it at all. The first trade sold for $9.99 too, so I thought that would keep the price low on singles...I guess not.





Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
Tamwood
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 2:24:16 AM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Joined: 11/13/2009
Posts: 1,540
Points: 138,595
Location: Indiana
Selling the trade For $10 was marketing genius. All the people who didn't get original copies of the first arc, bought the trade. And now, they need to go back and pick up the individual issues at an inflated, secondary market cost.
Thundercron
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 8:45:25 AM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 9/14/2008
Posts: 2,263
Points: 30,189
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Tamwood wrote:
Selling the trade For $10 was marketing genius. All the people who didn't get original copies of the first arc, bought the trade. And now, they need to go back and pick up the individual issues at an inflated, secondary market cost.


Why do they need to go back and pick up the individual issues?? The whole point of buying a cheap trade is so you don't have to buy the pricey originals. And it wasn't priced cheaply to get people interested in buying individual back issues--Image has no interest in that, as they have no stake it back issues. It did, however, get people hooked cheaply so that they want to buy future issues.
caseysorrow
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 10:41:58 AM

Rank: Watcher
Groups: Approver, Member

Joined: 4/7/2007
Posts: 773
Points: 156,579
Location: Michigan
Thundercron wrote:
Tamwood wrote:
Selling the trade For $10 was marketing genius. All the people who didn't get original copies of the first arc, bought the trade. And now, they need to go back and pick up the individual issues at an inflated, secondary market cost.


Why do they need to go back and pick up the individual issues?? The whole point of buying a cheap trade is so you don't have to buy the pricey originals. And it wasn't priced cheaply to get people interested in buying individual back issues--Image has no interest in that, as they have no stake it back issues. It did, however, get people hooked cheaply so that they want to buy future issues.


+1. Image has no stakes in the secondary market. The trade was priced cheaply to get people into the series and keep it going. However, trade releases often inflate back-issues since collectors realize what they passed on and suddenly "gotta catch em all" mentality drives the market. Saga has some excellent art, interesting characters, and a good story. First issue was a low print run, that is why it is a big deal.

Personally I think it's a little absurd, do you really have to collect all the printings? Next you know people are going to be hoarding foreign versions of the trade... oh, wait a minute...




heh. Tongue

Casey


Tamwood
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 3:47:55 PM

Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

Joined: 11/13/2009
Posts: 1,540
Points: 138,595
Location: Indiana
Perhaps "need" was the wrong choice of word.

Do you guys collect back issues of comics? Have you gone to a show or a store, and purchased an early Amazing Spider-Man or Batman book? Why? Most of the 700 issues of Amazing Spider-Man have been collected in trades somewhere (I'd imagine).

Maybe it's just me, but if I find a story that I like, I want to have the individual issues. I've got Dark Phoenix Saga in trade, in hardcover, and in individual issues.

And while Image certainly doesn't care too much about the secondary market value of their books, I believe the value of their titles on the secondary market helps their current profile.

Image has become, in many speculatorial eyes, as THE premiere publisher. Looking at the value of back issues of recent releases helps push people to speculate on upcoming releases.
dunleavy75
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 5:44:40 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/2/2008
Posts: 12,225
Points: 39,696
Location: south/central/east/west PA
Tamwood wrote:
Perhaps "need" was the wrong choice of word.

Do you guys collect back issues of comics? Have you gone to a show or a store, and purchased an early Amazing Spider-Man or Batman book? Why? Most of the 700 issues of Amazing Spider-Man have been collected in trades somewhere (I'd imagine).

Maybe it's just me, but if I find a story that I like, I want to have the individual issues. I've got Dark Phoenix Saga in trade, in hardcover, and in individual issues.

And while Image certainly doesn't care too much about the secondary market value of their books, I believe the value of their titles on the secondary market helps their current profile.

Image has become, in many speculatorial eyes, as THE premiere publisher. Looking at the value of back issues of recent releases helps push people to speculate on upcoming releases.


I'm the same way. There are some titles I have a trade and the singles for one reason or another. I also have random issues because they have a cover I really like too, but not necessarily the ongoing itself. Winking





Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
SuperSoldier124
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 6:40:47 PM

Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/3/2007
Posts: 2,937
Points: 8,872
Location: Falcon, Colorado

i agree with tamwood... trades are nice but i'd much rather have the actual books in my hand. its just an awesome feeling.

add me on xbox live and PSN

PS3: wartorn11b
360: precious blood1

SwiftMann
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 8:00:10 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Approver, CCL Feature Crew, CR-Guidelines, Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

Joined: 4/19/2007
Posts: 11,037
Points: 1,822,539
Location: PA
dunleavy75 wrote:
I gotta be honest, I didn't care for it at all

Me either. I put up a pretty long review of the trade because I was so amazingly underwhelmed by all the people telling me how everyone HAS to read this AWESOME book. Bleh.

Has DC Done Something Stupid Today?

"The return of beards and 90's fashion makes hipsters and homeless people impossible to tell apart." - Woody, Quantum & Woody #5
dunleavy75
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 10:39:35 PM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/2/2008
Posts: 12,225
Points: 39,696
Location: south/central/east/west PA
SwiftMann wrote:
dunleavy75 wrote:
I gotta be honest, I didn't care for it at all

Me either. I put up a pretty long review of the trade because I was so amazingly underwhelmed by all the people telling me how everyone HAS to read this AWESOME book. Bleh.


Yep, I could care less. I'm not a big BKV fan though either, to be honest. I liked his Doc Strange story (The Oath), and that's about it. Devil





Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
fenix1977
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 1:44:38 AM

Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Member, Subscriber

Joined: 3/16/2007
Posts: 6,591
Points: 22,207
Image seems to do that a lot with the first trade volume of a series. They seem to run $9.99 the go up to the 12.99-13.99 range I think. Which is smart because you get people in at a reasonable price.



Mad Bloggings

Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

This page was generated in 0.233 seconds.

ADVERTISEMENT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
All images on comic collector live copyright of their respective publishers. © Copyright 2008, MidTen Media Inc. GOLO241